ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer 2019 thread

I've seen her play quite a few times. She's not as refined or as elite as Ava Minnier or Sophia Bradley, at least at this time. Is that because she hasn't been solely committed to soccer, or is her peak just not as high? Coaches get paid big bucks to answer that question -- I haven't a clue what the answer is.

She's quite fast, and has a nose for the ball. She has long red hair, and sometimes will play without braiding it or putting it up -- both of which cause her to stand out from the other players, in addition to her abilities with the ball.

I saw her sisters play as well, and they were good as well. Maggie seems to be a tad better than her older sisters were at soccer.

I haven't spoken with Maggie, her coach, or her parents, about her college plans; I really try and avoid those type of discussions. I have heard some comments about her being an excellent student, and there has been some talk that academics will be as big a piece of her decision as will the quality of the sports program. I'm simply mentioning what I've heard, but have no way to verify the accuracy of it.
Had some free time on my hands for some reason... he he and so decided to see which country the surname Forbes derived from. It derives from the Scottish Clan Forbes, after a toponym from Gaelic forba meaning "field." So Maggie's last name or surname IS a toponym (place name or name of a place) and that place is a FIELD. Another way of saying it, is a field is her home. I read an article awhile back about her soccer exploits for Strath Haven in which she was talking about how she liked both track and soccer but how "I feel at home on a soccer field."

So Maggie's last name or surname IS a toponym (place name or name of a place) and that place is a FIELD. Another way of saying it, is a field is her home. I read an article awhile back about her soccer exploits for Strath Haven in which she was talking about how she liked both track and soccer but how "I feel at home on a soccer field."

Most likely her ancestors were noteworthy farmers that were outstanding in their field.

Reactions: soccerfanatic1
Most likely her ancestors were noteworthy farmers that were outstanding in their field.
Ha ha, well when I checked her surname out I had no idea what it would say. I figured it would say it traced back to Jersey City or any of another million things, but NO it traced back to a Scottish Clan and the name means Field. You can't make this stuff up.

kylie-mcnally.jpg

Kylie McNally - 5'-5 MF 2021 World Class FC, Pearl River, NY is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Her high school team ranked #56 in the country and #6 in New York state with an 18-2-3 record.

Has a rep as being a tough, physical player. Probably not a lot of interest from PSU as they have Jillian Shimkin in this class at that position, also Julia Raich, but you never know. A solid player who could provide depth, which in soccer you never can have enough of.

mackenzie-gorski.jpg

Mackenzie Gorski - 5'-5 F/MF/D 2021 Weston FC (DA), Estero, FL is rated a 4 star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer.

Very versatile player can play all the field positions. Scored 48 goals in just 18 games for Estero High School girls soccer for the 2019/20 Fall - Winter season. Her 48 goals ranked her at #21 in the country. Gorski led her team to a 22-2-3 record.

There's always room for a player like Gorski: a 4 star, can play Forward, Midfielder or Defender and can score. The thing is would she be willing to give up all the bugs, sweltering heat, alligators, tornados, sink holes and hurricanes for moving to Happy Valley? It's a tough call.

Reactions: kevin310
Kylie McNally - 5'-5 MF 2021 World Class FC, Pearl River, NY is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Her high school team ranked #56 in the country and #6 in New York state with an 18-2-3 record.

Has a rep as being a tough, physical player. Probably not a lot of interest from PSU as they have

I've seen her play several times. Tough and physical are pretty apt descriptions.

ava-abu-akeel.jpg

Ava Abu-Akeel - 5'-4 MF 2021 Michigan Hawks (ECNL), Rochester, MI is rated a 3 star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer. Current PSU WSOC player Maddie Myers played for the Hawks. Wears jersey #9. A nice player who could add some depth.

annika-seem.jpg

Annika Seem - 5'-6 MF/F 2021 Wisconsin FC U-18/19 (ECNL), Glendale, WI is rated a 3 star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer.

Made ODP State Team, ECNL National Playoffs in June, 2019 in San Diego, has 4.36 GPA and an ACT Score of 34.

Ha ha, well when I checked her surname out I had no idea what it would say. I figured it would say it traced back to Jersey City or any of another million things, but NO it traced back to a Scottish Clan and the name means Field. You can't make this stuff up.

Names are always fun. My paternal grandmother was a Kohl, which is German for cabbage. Grew up with a Fenstermacher, German for window maker. One of my favorite ironic names is that of Metzger Animal Hospital here in State College. Metzger is German for butcher.

julia-scheithauer.jpg

Julia Scheithauer - 5'-6 M/D 2021 So Cal Blues (DA), Santa Margarita, CA is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. So Cal teammate of Riley Gleason a PSU WSOC Class of 2021 commit. Has some versatility to her game.

Last edited:
sabrina-hinz.jpg

Sabrina Hinz - 6'-1 GK 2021 Tumecula Valley Soccer Academy, Murrieta, CA is rated a 3 star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer. Wears jersey #1. Great size, athleticism and mobility. Potential to be one of the top GK's in the country for the '21 class under coach Wassell's tutoring. PSU should sign her up if they can. Class needs a second goalie.

HUDL videos:
sabrina-hinz-full.jpg

Last edited:
morganne-eikelbarner.jpg

Morganne Eikelbarner - 5'-7 F 2022 FC Dallas U-17 (GDA), Frisco, TX is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Hometown is Plano, Texas.

Eikelbarner's FC Dallas U-15 team won the Development Academy U-15 National Championship in July of 2018. There were 73 club teams in the nation in the girls DA for the 2017-18 soccer season. Eikelbarner was the #1 scorer in the DA U-15 age group nationwide with 19 goals in just 12 games.

Eikelbarner was also a President's Choice Award recipient in 2019. She plays the right winger position and attacking center mid for FC Dallas. Current Penn State WSOC player Shelby Craft also played for FC Dallas, which is one reason that Eikelbarner might consider the Nittany Lions. No doubt has multiple Division 1 offers, on a growing list. Her favorite USWNT player is Tobin Heath.

Her club team FC Dallas lost in the 2019 Nationals in a semifinal round game to Lonestar SC Academy by a 3-2 score. Link to entire match (closeup of Eikelbarner at the 6:42 mark of the video): She is #14 in white uniform. Makes a nice run at the 49:42 mark.

Goal against the Colorado Rush from a 2018 game. So was a freshman in school at that time.

The level of play in the DA, ECNL and ODP is overall very high. Lots of really good players and many cases elite players like Eikelbarner. This is not like high school soccer where much of the time the level of play is not that good. Obviously would be a huge addition to the '22 class if PSU could land her. Hopefully Craft has gotten in her ear some about PSU.

margaret-wilde.jpg

Margaret Wilde - 5'-4 F 2022 Penn Fusion (DA), Lower Gwynedd, PA is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

Is sneaky quick and knows how to find the back of the net. Would be a great addiiton to the '22 recruiting class.
Link to some of Wilde's HUDL videos:

taylor-brennan-full.jpg

Taylor Brennan -5'-6 F/MF/D 2022 PDA Blue (ECNL), Council Rock North High School, Newtown, PA is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

Brennan is a very versatile player who can play multiple field positions equally as well. Brennan is a rising sophomore. Figures to play for a Power 5 conference school. Wears jersey #2 for PDA Blue and #6 for CR North H.S.

Last edited:
lumi-kostmayer.jpg

Lumi Kostmayer - 5'-4 F 2022 Sky Blue NYSC (DA), Southbury, CT is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

Kostmayer is a member of the U-16 USGNT that played in a UEFA Development tournament in Burton Upon Trent, England back on February 24th. of this year. Also, was a member of the U-15 USGNT.

Has always played up a year or two...is only 15 years old and so is young for her class (2022). Scored a goal in the USA's 5-0 whitewash of Denmark in the event finale. A strong finisher. Would be an outstanding get for Penn State WSOC if they could land her.

kayla-reed.jpg

Kayla Reed - 5'-7 F STA Development Academy - IMG Academy, East Brunswick High School, East Brunswick, NJ is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Had 13 goals in 19 games for East Brunswick which won their 36th. Greater Middlesex Conference championship in 2019. Only a sophomore Reed already has a college ready physique and nice height at 5'-7.

Last edited:
brooke-potter.jpg

Brooke Potter - 5'-5 F/M 2022 FC Virginia (DA), Williamsburg, VA is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Penn State has had several players that played for FC Virginia. Current player Kristin Schnurr and incoming freshman Ellis Wheeler to name the most recent ones.

Was invited to the U.S. Soccer Women's Naitonal Training Center. Would be an outstanding addition to the PSU WSOC Class of 2022.

Last edited:
2020 Penn State WSOC Season Musings

Top Drawer Soccer had the following PSU players in their top individual player rankings at the end of last season. They haven't updated them yet before the 2020 season:
  • Sam Coffey - #3 B1G and #21 in NCAA.
  • Kerry Abello - #10 B1G and not in Top 100 in NCAA.
  • Frankie Tagliaferri - #15 B1G and not in Top 100 in NCAA.
  • Coriana Dyke - #9 Freshman in NCAA.
  • Ally Schlegel - # 12 Freshman in NCAA.
  • Payton Linnehan - #35 Freshman in NCAA.
Again, these were rankings they had back in December, 2019. Not sure when exactly they will update them prior to the 2020 season. My take on the TDS rankings for these players:

Sam Coffey is arguably the best returning player in the B1G conference. Also, a lot of seniors that were ranked ahead of her in these rankings have graduated. So I'd rank Samantha at #1 in the B1G and maybe #10 in the NCAA Division 1 ranks.

Kerry Abello ranked at #10 in the B1G actually sounds about right. But she should be in the Top 100 nationally. I'd have her at around #90.

Frankie Tagliaferri ranked at #15 is too low. She didn't score a ton of goals this past season but did have a lot of assists and is the ultimate team player. Just wants to win. Not in it for the individual glory. I'd have Frankie ranked at about #5 in the BiG and like Abello, she should also be in TDS Top 100 nationally, something like #60.

Cori Dyke ranked by TDS as the #9 freshman in the nation. Cori is a very solid player, rarely turns the ball over and is consistent with her play. Endured a trying freshman season (team wise) and was dependable. But, personally I would not rank her THAT high. I would have her more like a Top 25 freshman.

Ally Schlegel is #12 according to TDS and to me that is a little low, given the outstanding season she had with 13 goals, 7 assists for a total of 33 points. I'd have Ally at #8 freshman in the country.

Payton Linnehan I feel should be much higher than #35 freshman in the country. Payton sure was the hard luck kid for the first half of the season. With better luck she could have easily had twice the number of goals. But it's like the folks at TDS just went strictly by her stats. 6 goals, 1 assist and 13 points. Good numbers for the average freshman, but there is nothing average about her game. Showed her considerable soccer talents in the B1G tournament and especially in the championship game. I'd rank her as the #10 freshman in the country.

Missing from the TDS rankings altogether was Kate Wiesner. Ironically the year before TDS had Kate ranked as the #1 player in America for the 2019 recruiting class. Unfortunately she got injured and missed the bulk of the 2019 season. But it's not right that they (TDS) just let her completely disappear from their rankings however. Coach Dambach has called Kate a "world class player" and she should certainly know. I'd have Kate ranked at #5 freshman in the nation, allowing for some rust from the long layoff. But still one of the premier players for the '19 class.

Shea Moyer who played a ton of soccer for the various USGNT coming up, is another player who suffered an injury and shows up nowhere in the TDS rankings. Shea Moyer is so good at playing the Midfielder position that she almost goes unnoticed. Way underrated, but not by me. I'd have her ranked as the #15 player in the B1G conference. Would be higher but making it a little low due to the long layoff and some rust no doubt coming back from her injury. Would have her at #100 in the country...again could be higher after the 2020 seson.

Kristin Schnurr also missed the 2019 season due to injury. Kristin is a very good soccer player. IMHO, is an underrated player. I'm not sure she knows just how good she is. It hasn't helped her career any that injuries have plagued her for much of her college career. I think Kristin is poised to have a special senior/grad season. Right now, I would not rank her in the Top 100 nationally, BUT that doesn't mean she couldn't end up there by season's end.

Some of the other members of the 2019 recruiting class figure to play bigger roles in 2020. Players like Jordan Canniff, Shelby Craft and Devon Olive will be counted on to do their part this upcoming season.

Last, there's the incoming 2020 recruiting class, currently ranked by TDS as the #10 class in the country. There are six players in the class and several could make an impact their freshman season. Players like Kaitlyn MacBean, Ellis Wheeler and Elle Kershner could see the pitch early in their Nittany Lion careers. Even though the 2020 edition of Penn State WSOC is brimming with soccer talent; MacBean is so good that it might be hard to keep her off the pitch. No predictions, but team chemistry on and off the field is what is going to help the group achieve their goals this upcoming season. Well only five more months until college soccer season. Good grief!

Last edited:
where-are-they-now-kim-dubs.gif

Kim Dubs a 5'-4 Forward from Zurich, Switzerland played just one season for the Nittany Lions WSOC program. Her freshman season was back in the 2018 season and she scored 2 goals and had 1 assist as a sub. The one assist was a beauty as Dubs came down the right side of the field, got in the clear and made a perfect long centering pass to Charlotte Williams who came flying in and put the header in the back of the net. Williams had to basically launch herself head first towards the goal where her body was almost parallel to the ground. It was a spectacular play. Dubs was a very good passer and it showed on that strike to Williams.

No reason was ever given publicly anyhow as to why Dubs did not return for the 2019 season. Dubs has spent the 2019-20 season with the Zurich W team and had scored 6 goals in 6 games. Last season, she played for the Young Boys W team and had 1 goal in 1 game. Dubs had a lot of talent. She had a poised and professional demeanor on the pitch. We'll never know what exploits she would have accomplished with the group and how she could have impacted the team in reaching some of their goals.

Here's wishing Kim a ton of good luck as she continues to play the sport she loves.

Last edited:
nicosia-jpg.gif

Nina Nicosia - 5'-5 F 2021 Eclipse Select IL (ECNL), Chicago, IL is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Note suffered a torn ACL in 2017 which took her 10 months to rehab from. Caused a drop in her career and player rankings, but has since recovered and says she is "stronger than ever." Easily a high 4 star talent.

A rising junior, Nicosia's father Gustovo Nicosia played professional soccer for teams in Argentina, Italy and Chicago. He basically is her coach and manager. Nina has played for Argentina's GNT U-15 and U-16 squads. Wants to eventually play for the USWNT. Her favorite male player is Argentina's Lionel Messi and favorite female player is Alex Morgan.

Plays for the same ECNL team as current Penn State WSOC players Kerry Abello and Kaitlyn Haislip. She has also played for the Chicago Magic and Chicago Inferno. Dino Delevski, the Director of the Boys Eclipse Select Soccer Club has watched her development closely and feels she has the potential to be the next great female soccer player. He says that Nina has the discipline, lifestyle and training regimen that you would see from a 30 year old professional soccer player.

Nicosia has multiple scholarship offers. Her most notable one is from Florida State. Says that the Seminoles are one of her favorite college teams. IMHO, I would rate her as good as PSU '21 commit Jillian Shimkin, only with better size. Should be a must get for Penn State WSOC for the 2021 class. With her and Shimkin both on the same team, the sky would be the limit.

Brooke Potter - 5'-5 F/M 2022 FC Virginia (DA), Williamsburg, VA is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Penn State has had several players that played for FC Virginia.

I was actually at the game you linked. It was either the 1st or 2nd time I had seen Brooke play. She's an interesting player. She's not quite a leg, and seemed to constantly surprise the defenders with her moves, the power of her shot, as well as her vision.

Kayla Reed - 5'-7 F STA Development Academy - IMG Academy, East Brunswick High School, East Brunswick, NJ is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

I've seen her play once or twice. She does have good size, as well as some offensive skills.

Lumi Kostmayer - 5'-4 F 2022 Sky Blue NYSC (DA), Southbury, CT is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

Kostmayer is a member of the U-16 USGNT that played in a UEFA Development tournament in Burton Upon Trent, England back on February 24th. of this year. Also, was a member of the U-15 USGNT.

I've only seen her play 1 time, but was quite impressed.

Taylor Brennan -5'-6 F/MF/D 2022 PDA Blue (ECNL), Council Rock North High School, Newtown, PA is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

I've seen her play a few times, but she's never really stood out on the field.

Margaret Wilde - 5'-4 F 2022 Penn Fusion (DA), Lower Gwynedd, PA is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.

I've seen her play several times. She deceptive, in that she doesn't draw special attention by the defense, but she has a nose for the ball, as well as good speed.

alayna-lynchard-jpg.gif

Alayna Lynchard - 5'-3 D/M 2021 Maryland United FC (ECNL), McDonogh High School, Ellicott, MD is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer. Good ball skills.

My final Class of 2021 and 2022 recruits wish lists for PSU WSOC:

• Lily Reale - 5'-7 D 2021 South Shore Select SC (DA), HIngham, MA is rated 4 stars by TDS.
  • Morganne Eikelbarner - 5'-7 F 2022 FC Dallas U-17 (GDA), Frisco, TX is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.
  • Nina Nicosia - 5'-5 F 2021 Eclipse Select IL (ECNL), Chicago, IL is rated 3 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.
  • Lumi Kostmayer - 5'-4 F 2022 Sky Blue NYSC (DA), Southbury, CT is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.
  • Ava Minnier - 5'-11 MF/F 2022 Penn Fusion (DA), Downingtown, PA is rated 4 stars by Top Drawer Soccer.
I understand that there most likely is not remotely enough scholarship money to go around for the players already verbally committed for '21 and '22, let alone for adding on more commits. Which is why I called this a 'wish list'.

I've always believed that in sports, all sports that if you don't have the horses or the top talent, you are not going to win any major championships. All the coaching and scheming in the world will not get it done, if you don't have the best players. If you look at the UCLA basketball teams under John Wooden...they had the best players. Alabama in college football under Saban, he had his rosters just stacked with 5 stars and 4 star players. The Yankees in MLB during their glory years...they had the best players. UCONN in women's hoops and I could go on and on.

Penn State WSOC has won 1 national championship in their 26 year history. That is commendable. They have had a Top 10 program now for many years. They are elite. But they are not in the elite of the elite category. North Carolina WSOC has won 21 National Championships. Because more often than not...they had the best players. If Penn State wants to get to that next level where they reach the College Cup for instance more often than not, they need to start getting the best players.

This is my last post. Just want to go on record as saying I love Penn State football, bleed blue & white and have been a huge fan since I was a 10 year old kid. What they did to Joe was wrong too. Admin please close out my account, I have tried to myself but can't find the page to do that. Thanks.

This is my last post. Just want to go on record as saying I love Penn State football, bleed blue & white and have been a huge fan since I was a 10 year old kid. What they did to Joe was wrong too. Admin please close out my account, I have tried to myself but can't find the page to do that. Thanks.

huh???

I hope all is well with you, and you're simply taking a break from the board.

I'm not aware of any way to close out an account. You've registered your handle -- it will stay registered to you.

Reactions: Ski and kevin310

Hey don't go, I usually look for your posts regarding PSU soccer.....post more please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT