ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Women's Soccer 2019 thread

^^ lazy tweet. It's a pic of PSU wearing blue, though they were wearing white in the NCAA match, and I believe Michigan is the opponent in the pic, though PSU was playing Stony Brook today. smh ^^

Last edited:
Following a 4-3 win in OT over Arizona, Penn State gets a second shot at No. 1 Stanford today at 1 p.m. PSU opened its season hosting the 'Furd, losing 1-2. Looking at one common opponent - the same Arizona team that PSU just beat in OT - Stanford beat the Wildcats 6-2 earlier in the season. Yikes! Then again, Stanford did lose to a middling (?) Pepperdine squad (Stanford's only loss of the season). It is going to take PSU's best game of the season to advance to the quarterfinals. Go State!

Following a 4-3 win in OT over Arizona, Penn State gets a second shot at No. 1 Stanford today at 1 p.m. PSU opened its season hosting the 'Furd, losing 1-2. Looking at one common opponent - the same Arizona team that PSU just beat in OT - Stanford beat the Wildcats 6-2 earlier in the season. Yikes! Then again, Stanford did lose to a middling (?) Pepperdine squad (Stanford's only loss of the season). It is going to take PSU's best game of the season to advance to the quarterfinals. Go State!

That's 1 PM Pacific time, 4 PM our timse

Reactions: NittanyLionFan

That's 1 PM Pacific time, 4 PM our timse

I'm getting the game on cable, on the Pac 12 Network.

Stanford is playing at home, which is usually an advantage.

Through the 1st 20 minutes of play, Stanford has controlled the ball ball most of the time. PSU will have a very, very tough time winning of the match if that trend continues.

Stanford gets the 1st goal, with 15:30 left in the 1st half. A perfect strike by the Stanford attacker.

PSU can't seem to maintain any ball control, and as a result really hasn't been able to get any legitimate offensive opportunities. Stanford is just that good.

I missed a part of the game to grab some dinner. While I was away, Stanford scored a goal around the 65 minute mark of the match, making it 2-0, Stanford.

There's currently 11:30 left in the match, and Stanford is still controlling the ball most of the time.

PSU with a free kick from just outside the penalty area, with 6:30 left. Coffey nailed her low shot, but it didn't get past the wall. An underdog team has to capitalize on opportunities like that if it's going to win.

And there's the final whistle. Stanford defeats PSU, 2-0.

PSU is an excellent team, though they had 3 key injuries this year. They were a pretty young team as well this season, so their future continues to look bright.

Stanford was the #1 seed in their bracket (PSU was 4th). They looked great today. That said, UVA was the #1 seed in their bracket, but they fell to Washington State in a prior round.

Hey Tom. You should watch Wash. St. they're as much fun to watch as PSU. They upset UVA and I thought it was a fluke. Beating WVU now 2-0 and still searching for more.

I was at the game today. Stanford completely controlled the game. If not for excellent PSU goaltending (12 saves) it would have been much worse. Stanford was credited with 33 shots to 1 for PSU. We did not even have a single corner kick. Our girls played with heart, but never could mount anything close to an attack.

It was great to have them come over to the small PSU contingent of fans and lead a We Are chant after the game. Both of my school age daughters loved the game.

Back before Jill Ellis was hired as head coach, Erica was rumored to be one of the leading candidates for the job. I knew her casually and tried to corner her once regarding whether she'd consider leaving PSU for the job. Her response, while not a total denial, was intriguing. She said "why would I ever want to leave here and put up with Hope Solo's bullshit?" Cracked me up when she said it.

ADVERTISEMENT