ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs. Second Mile Proof of Claims document

Zenophile

Oct 21, 2001
Directly above the center of the Earth
is well worth the few moments required to read.

http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/upload/SECOND MILE PROOF OF CLAIMS.pdf

SECOND MILE PROOF OF CLAIMS.pdf

Last edited:
The 2nd Mile is paying PSU $733 K.
PSU paid out hundreds of millions in fines, lost revenue and settlements.
Somehow this doesn’t seem right, considering TSM is where the criminal activity originated.
How many of you donated to the Second Mile? For several years I remember sending $200 and getting a T-Shirt

The 2nd Mile is paying PSU $733 K.
PSU paid out hundreds of millions in fines, lost revenue and settlements.
Somehow this doesn’t seem right, considering TSM is where the criminal activity originated.

The guy with the deepest pockets pays the most in these situations.

Reactions: bdgan
The guy with the deepest pockets pays the most in these situations.

Check out #3 on Page 2. "To date, Penn State has paid more than ninety-two million dollars to settle thirty-two claims....". That's $2.875 million per claim, the vast majority of which were never seriously vetted. But PSU shelled out the cash anyway. It was ridiculous to unilaterally pay money then expect a third to help out after the fact. PSU may have had the deepest pockets but that didn't mean the administration needed to act so stupidly.

Check out #3 on Page 2. "To date, Penn State has paid more than ninety-two million dollars to settle thirty-two claims....". That's $2.875 million per claim, the vast majority of which were never seriously vetted. But PSU shelled out the cash anyway. It was ridiculous to unilaterally pay money then expect a third to help out after the fact. PSU may have had the deepest pockets but that didn't mean the administration needed to act so stupidly.

Way back when the JS crap was all going down. 2011-12, I was talking about it with one of my old PSU room mates from back in the 80s. He tongue-in-check joked that he was going to file a claim to PSU claiming that back in the 80s JS touched him inappropriately. He is a smart-ass and we laughed about it as being a ridiculous statement .......... I think back now and realize he lost a golden opportunity. Back around 2012 anyone could have literally submitted any wild and crazy claim to PSU about inappropriate contact by JS and PSU would have been writing you a check.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Way back when the JS crap was all going down. 2011-12, I was talking about it with one of my old PSU room mates from back in the 80s. He tongue-in-check joked that he was going to file a claim to PSU claiming that back in the 80s JS touched him inappropriately. He is a smart-ass and we laughed about it as being a ridiculous statement .......... I think back now and realize he lost a golden opportunity. Back around 2012 anyone could have literally submitted any wild and crazy claim to PSU about inappropriate contact by JS and PSU would have been writing you a check.

Whether your post was serious or TIC, you have no idea how right you are. Just so there is no confusion, I'm being serious.

PSU may have had the deepest pockets but that didn't mean the administration needed to act so stupidly.

I was only commenting on TSM vs PSU as far as ability to pay. Regardless of how irresponsible it was to pay these claims without much (any) vetting, PSU was still going to pay more than TSM even though TSM was more responsible in every way for taking care of these children.

Reactions: NittPicker
Whether your post was serious or TIC, you have no idea how right you are. Just so there is no confusion, I'm being serious.

No. I am dead serious. My old roommate is a smart-ass by nature. I remember him saying back in the 2011/12 that we should make the claim JS touched us back in the 80s.... At the time we laughed about it as just a typical comment he would make. Now, I look back and realize that his tongue-in-check wise crack had some actual truth about it. If he had followed thru on his little wise crack, I have no doubt he would have received a check from PSU.

I am positive that back in 2011-12 PSU's extent to "vetting" a claim was to have the person provide some sort of verification they were in State College at the time of their complaint. If he had claimed JS touched him back in the 80s, all he would have had to provide was his college transcript proving that he was up at University Park during the 80s.... and the check would have been in the mail.

Reactions: psuken
No. I am dead serious. My old roommate is a smart-ass by nature. I remember him saying back in the 2011/12 that we should make the claim JS touched us back in the 80s.... At the time we laughed about it as just a typical comment he would make. Now, I look back and realize that his tongue-in-check wise crack had some actual truth about it. If he had followed thru on his little wise crack, I have no doubt he would have received a check from PSU.

I am positive that back in 2011-12 PSU's extent to "vetting" a claim was to have the person provide some sort of verification they were in State College at the time of their complaint. If he had claimed JS touched him back in the 80s, all he would have had to provide was his college transcript proving that he was up at University Park during the 80s.... and the check would have been in the mail.

In truth, not much more than that.

Don't you remember this guy:

th

"The vetting process was granular"

Seriously.... scumbag vultures like Fienberg? Summary execution (after allowing the general public two days for kicking him square in the nuts, for anyone who might be interested) wouldn't be an inappropriate recourse.

In fairness to Feinberg, he was operating on the direct instructions of PSU.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Bob78
In fairness to Feinberg, he was operating on the direct instructions of PSU.

Yup. The instructions were to write the checks as quickly as possible to make this go away as quickly and as quietly as possible.

I believe by the time it came to paying off all of the "alleged" victims, PSU was in such a case of shell shock from the media blitzkrieg, that they were willing to pay anything just to make this go quietly away.

Question for those who understand what this document is saying far better than I probably do:

Is this PSU admitting that the fault should have been laid at the feet of TSM and Dr. Jack, rather than at PSU's (and the PSU 4)?
In other words, TSM knew, because Curley told Dr. Jack what had been told to him by McQ. And Doc was obligated in every way imaginable to investigate what he was told.

Or is that too simplistic and naive of an interpretation? Thanks.

Question for those who understand what this document is saying far better than I probably do:

Is this PSU admitting that the fault should have been laid at the feet of TSM and Dr. Jack, rather than at PSU's (and the PSU 4)?
In other words, TSM knew, because Curley told Dr. Jack what had been told to him by McQ. And Doc was obligated in every way imaginable to investigate what he was told.

Well, this was always the plan, hence the language in the settlements where PSU indemnified TSM. PSU said we'll take the fall and then we'll recover whatever assets remain of TSM.

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78

In #5, the document uses the phrase "fair share". To me, this is Penn State admitting Penn State was also at fault. If Penn State was claiming the entire fault was with TSM and Dr Jack, Penn State's claim would be for all the money it paid out.

Reactions: Bob78
In #5, the document uses the phrase "fair share". To me, this is Penn State admitting Penn State was also at fault. If Penn State was claiming the entire fault was with TSM and Dr Jack, Penn State's claim would be for all the money it paid out.

TSM's fair share = 100%, in my inconsequential opinion. Once the ball landed in Jack's court, it was all on him to initiate an investigation.

#4 the phrasing is rather damning toward TSM. An almost stern wrist slap, complete with furrowed brow, to be sure.

When you have a Geography Prof (Rodney) leading the..... we will get paid back later charge (laughable) and a conflicted BOT member not vetting the settlements.................poop happens.

Interesting strategery :) , knowing that SecondMile has/had approximately Zero Assets?
Wouldn't ya' say?

And that's just the ONE "funny" issue.... of many. Including:
Timing
Inclusion
Indemnification
Verification
etc
etc
etc

All in all - it is remarkable how non-accountable everyone has held the PSU BOT Scoundrels.... to this day.
Funding was always the issue.
Criminality always in the background.
Second Mile fundraisers almost always included a visit from several players and coaches. Its annual fundraising golf tournament brought together nearly everyone who's anyone in Penn State football, past and present. According to one report, Mike McQueary attended the 2003 Second Mile fundraising golf tournament, one year after he'd told authorities he witnessed Sandusky assaulting a 10-year-old boy.

Frequently football players were sent to The Second Mile after getting kicked off the team. The Second Mile would provide older mentors to keep an eye on them. The players would be pupils for the older volunteers, but heroes to the kids, who didn't know or care if they'd been recently involved in a bar fight. If the players did what they were supposed to, they would get their way back on the team, with The Second Mile's imprimatur.

One player who received this treatment was E.Z. Smith, the starting center on the 2005 Orange Bowl team. Smith was welcomed into The Second Mile, at the request of the Penn State coaches, after he was cited for underage drinking. If Penn State fans truly took pride in Joe Paterno's focus on character development off the field, then they would recognize E.Z . as an ideal Penn Stater.

E.Z. left a different legacy among most other Penn State fans, however. One night before his senior year, during a night of drinking, E.Z. and his buddies (a few on the football team) shot arrows from a compound bow at a Steelers t-shirt, mounted on a wall of their apartment—a dangerous but, frankly, hilarious drinking activity. E.Z. spent a good amount of his Penn State career in Joe Paterno's famed doghouse; after that incident, Paterno's doghouse became his permanent address.

E.Z. was no problem child. He was the kind of guy I'd want my younger sister dating. His father was his high school football coach and his mother was the principal. He couldn't have possibly come from a better family. E.Z. was guilty of getting drunk and stupid—a crime committed by nearly every man or woman who has ever attended Penn State University. It's a crime committed by literally thousands of people each weekend in State College. I too acted equally drunk and stupid in college. My buddies and I just never had the creativity to have a close-range, indoor archery contest.

When one arrow broke through the wall, E.Z. was in trouble. So were the other players. All of the players involved in the incident were suspended indefinitely. Paterno said he received "six different stories" about what transpired.

I believe E.Z.'s end of the story. Bruce Heim, a State College businessman and then a board member of Jerry Sandusky's Second Mile foundation, had taken E.Z. under his wing months earlier. Bruce told E.Z. he was welcome to work out with him and participate in The Second Mile, provided he meet his rigid expectations, including one non-negotiable one: Don't lie to me.

"E.Z., did you shoot those arrows?" he asked.

"Yes, Bruce, I did," Smith told him flatly.

E.Z. owned up to his end, and E.Z. paid for it. Playing in the home opener against South Florida was out of the question. The road back to the field was going to be a long one.

From that point forward, Bruce worked with E.Z. on how he could rebuild his name and get back onto the team. It was a frustrating process for E.Z., one in which he was forced to watch linemen with far less ability play in front of him.

If he was going to be around the Second Mile kids, E.Z. needed to act like a man. Bruce set standards for him—like showing up to workouts not a second late—and E.Z. met them all.
When he started doing so, Bruce let him mentor his own kids, and Joe Paterno let him back on the field.

By anyone's standard, E.Z. emerged from Penn State a responsible adult. Yes, E.Z. did some things in college that others might shake their heads at, but so did you and I. Sometimes you have to learn life's lessons the hard way. The people who've emerged from The Second Mile go through life drawing on lessons learned from their mentors in the foundation.

E.Z. has since gotten married, earned a master's degree in adult education, and coached for his high school football team. "I wouldn't have even graduated from Penn State if it weren't for The Second Mile," he told me in a phone conversation this month." That's the Second Mile I'll remember.

Interesting strategery :) , knowing that SecondMile has/had approximately Zero Assets?
Wouldn't ya' say?

Timing
Inclusion
Indemnification
Verification
etc
etc
etc

All in all - it is remarkable how non-accountable everyone has held the PSU BOT Scoundrels.... to this day.

There needs to be a federal investigation! It should have been done a long time ago, but as the old adage goes - better late than never.

NCIS Special Agent John Snedden has been the champion for undertaking a federal investigation into what exactly happened in the fiasco.

His federal investigation indentified that there was something very wrong in the commonly accepted narratives that resulted in a 30-60 year sentence for Sandusky.

Ralph Cipriano's excellent April 10, 2017 blog post (http://www.bigtrial.net/2017/04/federal-agent-no-sex-scandal-at-penn.html) reported that Snedden found that there was no sex scandal at Penn State rather only a political hit job orchestrated by Governor Tom Corbett. At the end of the post, Snedden calls for a follow-up federal investigation:

So what would it take to straighten out the mess at Penn State?

"The degree of political involvement in this case is so high," Snedden said.

"You need to take an assistant U.S. Attorney from Arizona or somewhere who doesn't know anything about Penn State," Snedden said. Surround him with a competent staff of investigators, and turn them loose for 30 days.

So they can finally "find out what the hell happened."

At the end of his Feb 25 presentation at the Sandusky press conference, Snedden calls out Corbett for his public corruption. Around the 8 minute mark, Snedden states:

So, who recommended Freeh?

Who never attended a Board of Trustees meeting until he used it for his personal, political advantage?

Who wanted to be the most popular person in Pennsylvania?

Who took personal offense to a University President fighting for funding for his public university?

Who despises public higher education funding?

Who slow walked an alleged pedophile investigation?

Who repeatedly referred to a rape in the showers that never happened?

Who has an epic degree of vindictiveness and had the wherewithal to settle the score?

There was no cover-up. There was no conspiracy. There was nothing to cover-up.

So, this whole mess -- It was personal and it was political.

There is a name for it -- Public Corruption.

http://www.bigtrial.net/2019/03/federal-agent-on-ag-freeh-two.html

Well, this was always the plan, hence the language in the settlements where PSU indemnified TSM. PSU said we'll take the fall and then we'll recover whatever assets remain of TSM.

Wouldn't ya' say?

Timing
Inclusion
Indemnification
Verification
etc
etc
etc

JMO, "Penn State's" motive was never to recover $93 million from The Second Mile. It had everything to do with TSM's Board of Directors (comprised largely of PSU trustees) being fully legally exposed because they were not given indemnification protections by TSM.

So, imagine Victim 2 suing TSM to smithereens because PSU reported the incident to Jack Raykovitz who reported it to TSM BOD Bruce Heim (who also sat on the PSU BOT) and Heim instructed Raykovitz to bury the report. It seems that V2 would have a pretty compelling case against TSM.

So, V2 sues TSM, but TSM has no money, so now they're going after the personal assets of Heim, Raykovitz, probably Poole, Courtney, the entire Board of Directors at TSM, etc, etc.

The thought horrified everyone at TSM. Their legal counsel got together and said, "Hey, guys! Half of you are trustees at PSU and you're all completely covered by indemnification protections -- let's have PSU settle with the victims and make them forfeit their right to sue anyone else. That way nobody is exposed."

And that was the match that burned a once-great university down to the ground. Enter the Surma brothers to piss on Paterno's grave for good measure.

JMO, "Penn State's" motive was never to recover $93 million from The Second Mile. It had everything to do with TSM's Board of Directors (comprised largely of PSU trustees) being fully legally exposed because they were not given indemnification protections by TSM.

So, imagine Victim 2 suing TSM to smithereens because PSU reported the incident to Jack Raykovitz who reported it to TSM BOD Bruce Heim (who also sat on the PSU BOT) and Heim instructed Raykovitz to bury the report. It seems that V2 would have a pretty compelling case against TSM.

So, V2 sues TSM, but TSM has no money, so now they're going after the personal assets of Heim, Raykovitz, probably Poole, Courtney, the entire Board of Directors at TSM, etc, etc.

The thought horrified everyone at TSM. Their legal counsel got together and said, "Hey, guys! Half of you are trustees at PSU and you're all completely covered by indemnification protections -- let's have PSU settle with the victims and make them forfeit their right to sue anyone else. That way nobody is exposed."

And that was the match that burned a once-great university down to the ground. Enter the Surma brothers to piss on Paterno's grave for good measure.

Certainly makes more sense than the story we've been sold.

Yup. The instructions were to write the checks as quickly as possible to make this go away as quickly and as quietly as possible.

I believe by the time it came to paying off all of the "alleged" victims, PSU was in such a case of shell shock from the media blitzkrieg, that they were willing to pay anything just to make this go quietly away.

Merck. BP. 911. Sandusky.

Our Kenny knows Ken. Well.

Yep I thought the same thing. I was there from 81-85 and passed JS a couple of times.
More recently I work next door the where they film House of Cards and passed Kevin Spacey in the parking lot as he was going to his trailer.
I should be "retired" by now.:D

ADVERTISEMENT