ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Statement on Spanier trial decision

I think it's time to move him on. He has nothing left but trolling the board.

Oh my God, he disagrees with you, so what! Ehy is it not possible to have differing opinions on this board without being called a troll?

Oh my God, he disagrees with you, so what! Ehy is it not possible to have differing opinions on this board without being called a troll?
In my opinion, at this point he has
In my opinion the only recourse he has left is trolling.

I never stated anything abiut it being an evil act and I know what the charges are. it was a bad judgement call and I believe there also was a better way to handle it. You don't agree, fine, after all it is just my opinion.
I agree there was a better way to handle it but that's based on what we know now. I'm not sure based on what happened then because I wasn't involved. There are many things I've done in my job that down the road I wished I had done differently...nothing that would get me charged with a misdemeanor, but things I would change nonetheless. I just think many people are being too judgmental based on today's knowledge and based on what they think they would do in a similar situation. Studies have shown that in tough situations like that most people do as little as possible, not because they're bad people but because they're unsure what to do and they want it to go away.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Have they at all addressed Freeh's call for Barron to resign?

I agree there was a better way to handle it but that's based on what we know now. I'm not sure based on what happened then because I wasn't involved. There are many things I've done in my job that down the road I wished I had done differently...nothing that would get me charged with a misdemeanor, but things I would change nonetheless. I just think many people are being too judgmental based on today's knowledge and based on what they think they would do in a similar situation. Studies have shown that in tough situations like that most people do as little as possible, not because they're bad people but because they're unsure what to do and they want it to go away.

I hear what you are saying but I dont give them a pass. They f'd up and deserve some blame. I gave them the benefit of the doubt before this trial and came away feeling annoyed that they were so lazy.

At this point in time, my attitude has really not changed and likely never will.

Deep down I think this entire sorry affair was totally overblown with respect to the role Penn State played in the whole thing and the actions of CSS. Had this been about anything other than an highly charged emotional issue involving young children I don't think it would gotten the "legs" it did where actual logic and perspective would not necessarily prevail.

In the end, there was really nothing sinister that occurred and given the times and perspectives, it's clear to me that CSS were caught up in something that may have been a judgement call at the time but once things blew up it turned out to be a real "shi* sandwich" for them and Penn State.

One can argue with the judgements that these guys made at the time, but those judgements and actions were far from a sinister conspiracy or motivated by something inherently evil. It's just unfortunate that based on their actions every thing that's PSU was put into the position of taking the total brunt or public wrath of this matter especially when there were people and entities that were much more culpable, but that got off the hook without a scratch. You are just not going to win any argument about fairness and logic when the topic is the welfare of young kids.

It's also unfortunate that the Penn State BOT's actually played a major role in creating this negative public perception of things by actually paying millions of dollars to a known hack like Freeh to investigate and report on this mess without clearly framing the limits of his mission. They then essentially allowed him to issue a report with not only his findings. A report that was limited to presenting the facts that he discovered and constructive recommendations on what to do going forward.

Instead they allowed him to also make assumptions on motives without even interviewing all the people involved and to draw conclusions largely on incomplete information and based on his personal perception of people's motives at the time. Bottom line, they allowed him to make baseless allegations and establish a false narrative that doomed the University and its former administrators to prove their innocence in the face of a public witch hunt. It was a report written by a career prosecutor with the clear purpose of labeling a target of the prosecution. This was no longer "innocence until proven guilty", but it was a case of "guilty until proven innocent".

Freeh did as he already has a long and proven track record of doing in every thing he is involved with. That's "tar and feathering" everyone even if they are innocent, without regard to real perspectives and considerations for the individuals he publically destroys.

As far as I'm concerned in the quest for the truth that's all there is. I'm sure there are corruption and personal motives by the personalities that sit on the BOT and the State that are at play, that had a role in the outcome, and that contributed to where we are. Some of those motives would likely make you puke as well. But the firestorm about this entire matter was emotional and it's tough to win that battle in public in a fair and honest way under those circumstances.
I'll also note had it (a) not involved Paterno and (b) not involved a school known for being honest and playing by the rules,the blowback would have been far less. Syracuse is a good example. It's the old Man bites Dog vs Dog bites Man. You expect the Dog to bite so it's not big news.

The bottom line to me is that the BOT did PSU no favors in how they responded to thia in 2011, and more importantly when reporting first occurres in Spring 2011, they should have been all over this to prepare fhe University better. I'll also add the C/S/S did PSU no favors in how they handles the situation either because 1998 investigation happened and they were aware of Sandusky's inappropriate behavior then and that should have triggered a more thorough response than simply calling Raykovitz and telling him to keep creepo from bringing children to campus. There are just gut feelings you have when you hear about something happening AGAIN with the same person. To me it is common sense to think of the possibility of worse.

I hear what you are saying but I dont give them a pass. They f'd up and deserve some blame. I gave them the benefit of the doubt before this trial and came away feeling annoyed that they were so lazy.
Are you OK with university coaches and administrators being held to a different & higher standard of the law than the Second Mile & associated state agencies?

The bottom line to me is that the BOT did PSU no favors in how they responded to thia in 2011, and more importantly when reporting first occurres in Spring 2011, they should have been all over this to prepare fhe University better. I'll also add the C/S/S did PSU no favors in how they handles the situation either because 1998 investigation happened and they were aware of Sandusky's inappropriate behavior then and that should have triggered a more thorough response than simply calling Raykovitz and telling him to keep creepo from bringing children to campus. There are just gut feelings you have when you hear about something happening AGAIN with the same person. To me it is common sense to think of the possibility of worse.
Understood. Jim Clemente respectfully disagrees with you.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Clemente did not know they knew of 98 and was also did not address Paterno's sexual nature comment . Especially with the knowledge that they knew of a similar situation in 98.

Are you OK with university coaches and administrators being held to a different & higher standard of the law than the Second Mile & associated state agencies?

Absolutely not. Now that we know the truth when will Joe be properly honored?

Reactions: Zenophile
Clemente did not know they knew of 98 and was also did not address Paterno's sexual nature comment . Especially with the knowledge that they knew of a similar situation in 98.

Joe qualified his statement with "I don't know what you would call it" multiple times. It was also not cross examined or heard to verify it's accuracy. It's worthless. Especially since MM once again testified that he didn't tell JVP about anything sexual.

We only know that Joe was aware of an investigation of JS, not that he was aware of the subject matter. Since it would have been against the law for him to know the subject matter, it's likely he didn't know.

Stop trying to connect dots that aren't there.

Oh I agree with you there. While I don't think PSU should have paid a dime out before these cases were resolved, when we look back to 2011/2012, the public/media vitriol was so bad, I get why they wanted to get the ball rolling on settlements (just not to the tune they did).

I was wondering what sort of settlements PSU would have to pay now that the admins have been "convicted" of the EWOC misdemeanors, surely it would be much less than they already paid. Then it occurred to me, if PSU didn't pay out to those victims and admit guilt, C/S/S probably would have walked a long time ago.

Problem with this is they'd be admitting that they failed in their fiduciary duties to the university...they did cash out a ton of checks to just about anybody with a hand out, all based on our guilt. If the court found no guilt, then they're on the hook for explaining their careless spending.

The whole thing is a big scam. PSU BOT is happy that didn't fail in their fiduciary duties because of the 3 misdemeanors. The State is happy that they got their "convictions". Curly and Schultz won't get any jail time, Spanier will win on appeal. It was all about saving face. All it cost were millions of dollars and the reputation of our alma mater that was unfairly tainted.

I was wondering what sort of settlements PSU would have to pay now that the admins have been "convicted" of the EWOC misdemeanors, surely it would be much less than they already paid. Then it occurred to me, if PSU didn't pay out to those victims and admit guilt, C/S/S probably would have walked a long time ago.

The whole thing is a big scam. PSU BOT is happy that didn't fail in their fiduciary duties because of the 3 misdemeanors. The State is happy that they got their "convictions". Curly and Schultz won't get any jail time, Spanier will win on appeal. It was all about saving face. All it cost were millions of dollars and the reputation of our alma mater that was unfairly tainted.

So...what happens with the Paterno suit is really all thats left...

"The verdict, their words and pleas indicate a profound failure of leadership. " ... this is the only part I have a serious problem with. The message would have been the same without this statement. It was over the top, unnecessary and insulting. The message was the same without this sentence.

There was some face saving but the PSU BOT still looks really really bad paying out hundreds of millions of dollars (under the premise of a massive cover up) for what amounted to 3 misdemeanors. Much explaining to do.

"The verdict, their words and pleas indicate a profound failure of leadership. " ... this is the only part I have a serious problem with. The message would have been the same without this statement. It was over the top, unnecessary and insulting. The message was the same without this sentence.

It reeks of hindsight bias. Given the situation, no one on this planet could have handled it any better at the time. Leaders are people too, and they make mistakes, usually with the best of intentions. Making a mistake does not equate to a profound failure of leadership. Yet now they want to play Monday morning QB and critique their actions. Shame on whoever wrote that statement. That statement is actually a profound failure of leadership, so were many actions of the OG BOT and Erickson (the guy who gave JS the keys!). I guess that tearing down C/S/S makes them feel better about their own failures.

There was some face saving but the PSU BOT still looks really really bad paying out hundreds of millions of dollars (under the premise of a massive cover up) for what amounted to 3 misdemeanors. Much explaining to do.

I agree, but they only look bad to a few of us in the know. The ignorant masses think they "got it right". I doubt they will ever be held accountable for their actions.

Reactions: WeR0206

And not one child in PA is safer for the entire fiasco...nobody learned a damn thing!!!!

It's not 100% wrong though.

Kgilbert78 ... it is very wrong and is only correct with the benefit of hindsight ... more importantly it was completely unnecessary and in very bad taste. It added nothing to their statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT