ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Statement on Spanier trial decision

WeR0206

Apr 9, 2014
Get ready to puke. Gotta love how they don't even mention the fact none of the admins were convicted of conspiracy. Smh

Link

Text:

University comment on Spanier trial decision
March 24, 2017
initiatives.

First and foremost, our thoughts remain with the victims of Jerry Sandusky.

Five years ago, as the crisis emerged, Penn State’s Board of Trustees took immediate action to change the leadership of the University, instructed the administration to institute new policies and procedures, and set in motion a process to ensure the University was doing everything it could to establish a model ethics and compliance culture meant to ensure the safety of the Penn State community. The University launched a series of new initiatives with the sense of urgency demanded by the Board, while at the same time waiting for the justice system to bring a measure of resolution to the criminal cases that emerged. With today’s decision, we have that closure.

A jury today found former President Graham Spanier guilty of one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Recently, two former senior level administrators, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor of endangering the welfare of a child, reportedly stating in part that, in the case of Curley: “I pleaded guilty because I felt like I should have done more,” and Schultz: “I felt I had been deficient in not reporting it myself.” The verdict, their words and pleas indicate a profound failure of leadership.

Penn State has extraordinary expectations of our leaders, who must set and maintain the example for reporting, ethics and compliance that reflect best practices. In the view of the jury, with respect to Spanier, and by their own admission, as to Curley and Schultz, these former leaders fell short. And while we cannot undo the past, we have re-dedicated ourselves and our University to act always with the highest integrity, in affirming the shared values of our community.

Over the past five years, Penn State has taken aggressive steps to strengthen accountability and focus on the fight against child maltreatment. We have endorsed a standard of strict compliance, and we will continue our vigorous efforts to create a model culture of reporting, safety and accountability. This has led to the development of many best-in-class initiatives.

Further, beginning in 2011, Penn State made a substantial investment to create and support a network of researchers and educators to concentrate on solving the complex problems of child maltreatment. We remain firmly committed today and in the future to societal progress in the fight to protect the wellbeing of all children.

Get ready to puke. Gotta love how they don't even mention the fact none of the admins were convicted of conspiracy. Smh

Link

Text:

March 24, 2017
initiatives.

Five years ago, as the crisis emerged, Penn State’s Board of Trustees took immediate action to change the leadership of the University, instructed the administration to institute new policies and procedures, and set in motion a process to ensure the University was doing everything it could to establish a model ethics and compliance culture meant to ensure the safety of the Penn State community. The University launched a series of new initiatives with the sense of urgency demanded by the Board, while at the same time waiting for the justice system to bring a measure of resolution to the criminal cases that emerged. With today’s decision, we have that closure.

A jury today found former President Graham Spanier guilty of one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Recently, two former senior level administrators, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor of endangering the welfare of a child, reportedly stating in part that, in the case of Curley: “I pleaded guilty because I felt like I should have done more,” and Schultz: “I felt I had been deficient in not reporting it myself.” The verdict, their words and pleas indicate a profound failure of leadership.

Penn State has extraordinary expectations of our leaders, who must set and maintain the example for reporting, ethics and compliance that reflect best practices. In the view of the jury, with respect to Spanier, and by their own admission, as to Curley and Schultz, these former leaders fell short. And while we cannot undo the past, we have re-dedicated ourselves and our University to act always with the highest integrity, in affirming the shared values of our community.

Over the past five years, Penn State has taken aggressive steps to strengthen accountability and focus on the fight against child maltreatment. We have endorsed a standard of strict compliance, and we will continue our vigorous efforts to create a model culture of reporting, safety and accountability. This has led to the development of many best-in-class initiatives.

Further, beginning in 2011, Penn State made a substantial investment to create and support a network of researchers and educators to concentrate on solving the complex problems of child maltreatment. We remain firmly committed today and in the future to societal progress in the fight to protect the wellbeing of all children.

GAG ME - like I have said before, no donation ever to PSU again as long as this group is in charge!

They took immediate steps to change leadership, except that of the BOT exec committee and appointed trustees. None of them resigned or were removed. Just a bunch of window dressing.

You'd think PSU would be pissed at freeh and ncaa since all of the their claims of a conspiracy to protect football have been disproven and have caused IMMENSE harm to our school and alums all over the world.

But nope, they instead choose to take a victory lap and pile on. Disgraceful but not unexpected from the hyenas running our school.

Link

Text:

March 24, 2017
initiatives.

They are defending the university in an appropriate way. Everything in the statement was truthful. It's not their job to defend former employees who have just been convicted or plea bargained to a guilty misdemeanor count, and I wouldn't expect or want them to do so. That's the job of these individuals and their counsels. For the record, I think the guilty verdicts and plea bargains are hogwash, but I don't expect PSU to take their side. The verdicts are what they are.

Wait, what? While I realize the "leadership" involved at PSU, this should be the school's chance to take a victory lap of "all your haters were idiots and wrong" rather than proclaiming guilt. No conspiracy, no perjury, no failure to report, no obstruction of justice.

This is a win for the former leaders of Penn State and our idiot school is painting it as a loss.

They are defending the university in an appropriate way. Everything in the statement was truthful. It's not their job to defend former employees who have just been convicted or plea bargained to a guilty misdemeanor count, and I wouldn't expect or want them to do so. That's the job of these individuals and their counsels. For the record, I think the guilty verdicts and plea bargains are hogwash, but I don't expect PSU to take their side. The verdicts are what they are.
They're not defending the university, that's the problem. There are many opportunities in this for the university to improve its image and point out where the media narrative fell short. But they're not doing that. They're tucking their tail between there legs, apologizing for things that weren't there, and running away. Any recent PR graduate could tell you to always find and exploit the positives in any negative situation. That statement did nothing of the sort. They failed PR 101.

Well you'd think they would be happy and want to repeat that all the claims of some criminal conspiracy to protect PSU football were proven false by a jury, that the theme PSU puts winning football above the safety of children was complete bullshit by the state and freeh, but hey, that's just me...

Wait, what? While I realize the "leadership" involved at PSU, this should be the school's chance to take a victory lap of "all your haters were idiots and wrong" rather than proclaiming guilt. No conspiracy, no perjury, no failure to report, no obstruction of justice.

This is a win for the former leaders of Penn State and our idiot school is painting it as a loss.

This^^^^

They could have said yes these guys admitted to making a bad judgement call about a pillar of the community offender but the other claims were FALSE. But no mention of that of course.

Reactions: NittanyTerp

You expect them to issue a statement saying we are pleased that the former leaders of PSU were vindicated in the serious charges that they engaged in a conspiracy cover up Sandusky's crimes, and instead were only found guilty of minor charges that they acted alone in their failure to protect children? Very naive - what crisis management strategy is that? Take all emotion out and think it through. They painted this as a win for PSU because of all the child abuse prevention measures they put into effect and commitment to the highest standards of ethics.

I see no win here. Watch the headlines and see if you can find one. If the narrative had not quite yet been cast into stone, it will be now.

You expect them to issue a statement saying we are pleased that the former leaders of PSU were vindicated in the serious charges that they engaged in a conspiracy cover up Sandusky's crimes, and instead were only found guilty of minor charges that they acted alone in their failure to protect children? Very naive - what crisis management strategy is that? Take all emotion out and think it through. They painted this as a win for PSU because of all the child abuse prevention measures they put into effect and commitment to the highest standards of ethics.
How about even though we are disappointed by the action (or inaction) of our leaders when faced with a difficult situation, we were pleased to have the court determine that there was no cover up by school officials in the Sandusky scandal. Although we are disappointed these leaders made a poor decision, the fact that they were cleared of the worst of the charges gives us hope that we can continue to build on the fine work we are currently doing to prevent this type of thing from happening again, and helps us realize we are still the great university we have always been.

I'm just spit balling here though and I don't have an entire department to write this sort of thing.

Last edited:
"further, beginning in 2011, Penn State made a substantial investment to create and support a network of researchers and educators to concentrate on solving the complex problems of child maltreatment. We remain firmly committed today and in the future to societal progress in the fight to protect the wellbeing of all children."

OH EFF ME.

How'd that commitment work out for the little girls at MSU?

Who wrote that shit - Lisa Powers?

I read it as: it is now time to move on.

Link

Text:

March 24, 2017
initiatives.

Makes me want to vomit. Here's the bottom line.

Current trustees oversaw and environment where policies and procedures about how to handle these things were lax. This happened under their watch and now many of the same people want to take credit for fixing it. That's disgusting! Just a coverING their butts.

A win for CSS? You have got to be kidding me. The public sees them as guilty men. This wasn't a win at all.

Reactions: Osprey Lion

Link

Text:

March 24, 2017
initiatives.

I find nothing wrong with this statement. I'm really not sure what you expect current leadership to say about this case. It has been damaging to the school and their job is to say the school is doing everything it needs to to be compliant. The school has to move on.

Eff them. I hope the alumni 9 release a counter statement that supports C/S/S fully and unconditionally
Sure, if they want to make Penn State look even worse. "We fully support these men who just pled guilty or were convicted. FULLY SUPPORT!!!"

Unbelievable.

Link

Text:

March 24, 2017
initiatives.

Lubert's got the checkbook out already

Reactions: WeR0206
The only immediate action the PSU BOT took was to cover their asses. They have been steadfast in this regard spending hundreds of millions of dollars to cover their tracks.

Makes me want to vomit. Here's the bottom line.

Current trustees oversaw and environment where policies and procedures about how to handle these things were lax. This happened under their watch and now many of the same people want to take credit for fixing it. That's disgusting! Just a coverING their butts.

no one expected the BOT to go down for this. they were always going to protect themselves.

The only immediate action the PSU BOT took was to cover their asses. They have been steadfast in this regard spending hundreds of millions of dollars to cover their tracks.
What exactly have they covered their asses from? That argument never made any sense to me.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
Letting go, moving on. Post No. 2

i may not agree e
They took immediate steps to change leadership, except that of the BOT exec committee and appointed trustees. None of them resigned or were removed. Just a bunch of window dressing.

You'd think PSU would be pissed at freeh and ncaa since all of the their claims of a conspiracy to protect football have been disproven and have caused IMMENSE harm to our school and alums all over the world.

But nope, they instead choose to take a victory lap and pile on. Disgraceful but not unexpected from the hyenas running our school.

Who could have removed BOT members since they were in charge? sincere question because i dont know the procedure.

What exactly have they covered their asses from? That argument never made any sense to me.

By throwing Joe/C/S/S under the bus they diverted attention from themselves. Shouldn't they share responsibility? Didn't they hire these people? Weren't they responsible for making sure good policies were in place? Didn't at least a few if them get a report from Spanier? Weren't a number of these people affiliated with TSM?

Heck, the guy who signed off to allow JS to bring kids on campus (one on one) got his name on the Creamery.

It remains my hope that Penn State will someday demonstrate an interest in repairing the broken relationship with its alumni. But today it's clear that alumni relations are simply not a priority.
As a former alumni that donated modestly but cut off ties prior to this mess, I find the recent fundraising insane. I still get letters as though I still contribute and emails as though I still contribute. Lately there's not an option to unsubscribe on their crap propaganda through email. I really don't want to lay into the poor kids they have working for them but what's the alternative?

Reactions: Ski and Zenophile
How about even though we are disappointed by the action (or inaction) of our leaders when faced with a difficult situation, we were pleased to have the court determine that there was no cover up by school officials in the Sandusky scandal. Although we are disappointed these leaders made a poor decision, the fact that they were cleared of the worst of the charges gives us hope that we can continue to build on the fine work we are currently doing to prevent this type of thing from happening again, and helps us realize we are still the great university we have always been.

I'm just spit balling here though and I don't have an entire department to write this sort of thing.

white noise. look at the media reports on the results: Guilty, beyond that nobody cares.

I find nothing wrong with this statement. I'm really not sure what you expect current leadership to say about this case. It has been damaging to the school and their job is to say the school is doing everything it needs to to be compliant. The school has to move on.

They could have said nothing. They've already said that they feel for the victims and that they've worked hard to improve policies. There was no need for them to kick their former employees in the teeth again while patting themselves in the back for improving policies that they previously allowed not to exist under their watch.

By throwing Joe/C/S/S under the bus they diverted attention from themselves. Shouldn't they share responsibility? Didn't they hire these people? Weren't they responsible for making sure good policies were in place? Didn't at least a few if them get a report from Spanier? Weren't a number of these people affiliated with TSM?

Heck, the guy who signed off to allow JS to bring kids on campus (one on one) got his name on the Creamery.

the statement is coming from Barron who was not at Psu in 2011 or 2012. his job is to move the university forward. His job is not to defend any of the men who preceded him.

To me, the statement was all about reinforcing the negative. The public's perception of PSU was fueled by the idea of a cover-up, and conspiracy to do so. That has been proven in court to be not so. Why not trumpet that important fact, while still mentioning that the former Admins made what turned out to be incorrect judgment calls given what we now know. Defend the school, let the world know that we weren't bad guys after all, but we learned from the decisions made back then.

No children are any safer if the public continues to think that this is a football thing. As Wensilver said, how did PSU's efforts since late 2011 help at MSU? At Baylor? They really didn't, because we're allowing the wrong causes of the crimes to be highlighted.

the statement is coming from Barron who was not at Psu in 2011 or 2012. his job is to move the university forward. His job is not to defend any of the men who preceded him.

You're naive to think that the BOT didn't participate in the preparation of this letter.

Yes its Barron's job to move the university forward. Its not his job to continually beat up on C/S/S while acting as the BOT had no responsibiy in this mess.

Reactions: First Last
They could have said nothing. They've already said that they feel for the victims and that they've worked hard to improve policies. There was no need for them to kick their former employees in the teeth again while patting themselves in the back for improving policies that they previously allowed not to exist under their watch.

They pled and were found guilty, the press release was acknowledging that. The school was silent about them until now.

ADVERTISEMENT