ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Help me out here… If a kid like Gibson is down to like 3 or 4 schools but SUPPOSEDLY hasnt been offered by ANY of them, how is it he can intelligently choose one (assuming HE is the one Cornell is getting) before he even hears any offers?

Reactions: BrockBronson
Kids verbally as freshmen or committing the first day they can talk to coaches doesn’t make any sense. Zero visits, zero communication. This will Gibson could be just following his brother. You see that a lot.
Sasso will be going to tOSU.

Reactions: hlstone and fronk71
Help me out here… If a kid like Gibson is down to like 3 or 4 schools but SUPPOSEDLY hasnt been offered by ANY of them, how is it he can intelligently choose one (assuming HE is the one Cornell is getting) before he even hears any offers?
Same could be asked of Dalton Perry, right?

In Gibson's case, the ONLY question is the athletic scholarship offer -- and he can make educated guesses about that, given that his brother is an incoming college freshman. He was along for his brother's entire recruitment, so he's familiar with all of the schools, coaches, and potential teammates.

Plus Cornell's financial package should be fairly easy to figure out -- they offer no athletic scholarships, but have a generous financial aid program which caps the amount of loans all students need to take.

Frankly, if it is Cornell, that's the financially safest and probably lowest-cost option. Their financial aid package is guaranteed, and not based upon 9.9 rides that need to be split among 30+ teammates. It's well known that some coaches offer less up front with the potential to get more later. Other coaches loaded up in other classes and may not have much left.

Because
  1. Ivy League schools provide family-based financial aid rather than athletic scholarships.
  2. He may already know what his brother is receiving from Cornell.
  3. He may have some idea of what he'd like to major in, and a Cornell degree could be generally preferable to reasonable alternatives.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Same could be asked of Dalton Perry, right?

In Gibson's case, the ONLY question is the athletic scholarship offer -- and he can make educated guesses about that, given that his brother is an incoming college freshman. He was along for his brother's entire recruitment, so he's familiar with all of the schools, coaches, and potential teammates.

Plus Cornell's financial package should be fairly easy to figure out -- they offer no athletic scholarships, but have a generous financial aid program which caps the amount of loans all students need to take.

Frankly, if it is Cornell, that's the financially safest and probably lowest-cost option. Their financial aid package is guaranteed, and not based upon 9.9 rides that need to be split among 30+ teammates. It's well known that some coaches offer less up front with the potential to get more later. Other coaches loaded up in other classes and may not have much left.
Good answers

NOT the same as Perry though, at all really. Dalton was coming to PSU no matter what (per air-tight info found right here😉) he didnt play the twitter game like Gibson (worse case of it yet IMO) and doesnt even care who’s offering what, if at all.

Kids verbally as freshmen or committing the first day they can talk to coaches doesn’t make any sense. Zero visits, zero communication. This will Gibson could be just following his brother. You see that a lot.
Sasso will be going to tOSU.
True,both points. Perry could end up getting NOTHING,but who knows maybe he doesnt need schollys.

Good answers

NOT the same as Perry though, at all really. Dalton was coming to PSU no matter what (per air-tight info found right here😉) he didnt play the twitter game like Gibson (worse case of it yet IMO) and doesnt even care who’s offering what, if at all.
We hypothesize that Gibson cares about his offer ... but if he's already committed but just hasn't announced yet (which is what Pat's tweet means), then he doesn't.

My point is broader than Gibson or Perry: we apply our criteria to someone else's decision and then wonder why their process or outcome differs.

I’m not seeing a pressing need
We hypothesize that Gibson cares about his offer ... but if he's already committed but just hasn't announced yet (which is what Pat's tweet means), then he doesn't.

My point is broader than Gibson or Perry: we apply our criteria to someone else's decision and then wonder why their process or outcome differs.
my head is spinning. Not sure what this means, but I did take many hits to the head over the years also so probably more my issue

I’m not seeing a pressing need

my head is spinning. Not sure what this means, but I did take many hits to the head over the years also so probably more my issue
I'll try again:

1. Let's say Mineo's tweet dated 6/13 (post 919 in this tread) was about Gibson.

That means Gibson has decided but isn't ready to announce yet (for whatever reason; usually it means the recruit hasn't yet informed the other teams).

But teams can't offer until tomorrow. So his decision yesterday means he doesn't care about the offers. If he did, he could've waited two more days to decide.

2. The more general point: offers would be important to me. But clearly they're not important to Perry, and not to the person in Mineo's tweet (if that person is 2024 or 2025). Because they committed before offers could be made.

So I can't wonder why a guy would commit before an offer, based upon its importance to me. They had other reasons for committing, which may or may not be important to me.

Last edited:
I'll try again:

1. Let's say Mineo's tweet dated 6/13 (post 919 in this tread) was about Gibson.

That means Gibson has decided but isn't ready to announce yet (for whatever reason; usually it means the recruit hasn't yet informed the other teams).

But teams can't offer until tomorrow. So his decision yesterday means he doesn't care about the offers. If he did, he could've waited two more days to decide.

2. The more general point: offers would be important to me. But clearly they're not important to Perry, and not to the person in Mineo's tweet (if that person is 2024 or 2025). Because they committed before offers could be made.

So I can't wonder why a guy would commit before an offer, based upon its importance to me. They had other reasons for committing, which may or may not be important to me.
Thanks Jefe

he didnt play the twitter game like Gibson (worse case of it yet IMO)
I agree. In today's NIL landscape, it's the smart play but I don't like it. I can understand it, but I don't like it.
It is one reason that I would not live or die by his decision. I'm not a fan of the Twitterverse, and I like to see later bloomers at lower weights. 9th grade hammers are 9th grade hammers. Now if you are a 9th grade hammer at 160 pounds, you have my full attention. But those are rare birds.
That said, if Gibson were to choose Penn State I'll totally change my opinion.

Reactions: Antaeus
giphy.gif

I'm sure D1 wrestling recruits appreciate the advice from anonymous internet message board commenters about being properly focused.
I don't recall anyone complaining about Robbie Howard's twitter when he was in HS.

Reactions: nitlion6
Willie must have pulled an all nighter, there is no way you are up this early. A 30 rack of Bud pounders

i'll tell ya what we should do...

we should start a message board group where we try to make sense of the decisions of 16 year olds

i'm sure with enough effort, we'll figure out exactly why they do the things they do.
We can employ artificial intelligence. Wait, HR already beat us to the punch.

...being from Easton, Willie probably grew up on Neuweilers Pale Ale ...@ $ 2 per case...
...as did Barry Snyder and "Dandy Dick" DeWalt...🤷🏽‍♂️

I'll try again:

Question regarding Cornell and the other Ivies. Do they need to wait until the same time period to "offer" recruits since they don't participate in the 9.9 athletic scholarships? Or can they skate that rule cause they only offer financial aid open to every student?

That is most definitely an unfair recruiting advantage, LOL. I was in Scottsdale many years ago and the scenery was stunning, LOL.
I went to wrestling camp at ASU multiple years and the scenery was indeed stunning! My dream was to wrestle there but they never offered me any $ so I went elsewhere but to this day I’ve never seen a campus with as many beautiful women.

fa103306f936bba1-822x617.png

Proof positive NIL needs stricter governance. Millionaires with deep pockets are one thing, but Nice Inviting Ladies are yet another.

This is just plain unfair. They pull in a recruit, have these for give a tour of campus; throw in a hula hoop at the end, and viola the kid signs.

PS - I am partial to blondes, but #1 & #3, crimony, I need some blood pressure meds!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT