ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

We're pretty booked up at all those weights if we can land Shapiro for 2023. Ohio might be able to just slide Sasso, Paddy, Kharchla up and make room at 149 if that's where he's bound.
Wont Sasso be gone by the time Gibson goes to college? Heck if he would redshirt his freshman year, I think Karachla would be as well.

This is very early. I am glad We Are on the top 3 but surprised Iowa isn’t in the mix.

Maybe throw in a back half of…
65 Haines
74 Facundo
84 Barr
97 Neves
HW Mullen
We might win another title or two. 😉
Carter Neves from St Paris Graham?

IDK, not a bad option but not sold, would rather follow Beard with Correa, or maybe Lawrence gets to 197 and doesn't follow his brother to Lehigh.

Plus he's 2023 and that might be a really full class with Shapiro, Mullen, Barr, Davis, McGowan, Kasak ...

Carter Neves from St Paris Graham?

IDK, not a bad option but not sold, would rather follow Beard with Correa, or maybe Lawrence gets to 197 and doesn't follow his brother to Lehigh.

Plus he's 2023 and that might be a really full class with Shapiro, Mullen, Barr, Davis, McGowan, Kasak ...
Would be mildly surprised if Rune got that big, but we’re so far out from then that there’s a great chance a name comes from off the radar completely.

Reactions: El-Jefe
How does a sophomore make a decision. He can’t be contacted by a college coach or talk about the recruiting process.
He can't be contacted but that rule has loopholes so big that tractor trailers can drive thru sideways: they can talk if the athlete initiates the discussion; they can "run into each other" at events; they can be coach and pupil at clinics; etc.

They can't discuss offers, but that's not all they might discuss. Much of the process is info gathering. The recruits often know several guys on various teams and can get a lot of answers without talking to coaches.

Also, verbal commitments are not binding. Flips do occasionally happen.

That said, I wouldn't advise committing without multiple competing offers.

His group has constant D1 coaches there somehow. They don’t like to follow rules in western pa. Must be a WPIAL thing

Will this be the "best light weight" room in the country? Asking for a friend 😊.
I am sorry.....I am not seeing Gibson being very effective above 133......and that is pushing it. Short legs, short arms.......anything over 126 is going to be a bit iffy. 141.......Imagine what Nick Lee would do with his length and strength.....as well as a dozen other 141 lbers. Love the kid's quickness but 141?? Not seeing it outside of a growth spurt. Sorry. I even had my Blue and white goggles on :)

I am sorry.....I am not seeing Gibson being very effective above 133......and that is pushing it. Short legs, short arms.......anything over 126 is going to be a bit iffy. 141.......Imagine what Nick Lee would do with his length and strength.....as well as a dozen other 141 lbers. Love the kid's quickness but 141?? Not seeing it outside of a growth spurt. Sorry. I even had my Blue and white goggles on :)
Reminder that the last time he competed, at 126, was the summer after his freshman year. Yes, he is an “old” freshman, but he was still a high school freshman. If he doesn’t gain 15 pounds between the end of his HS freshman year and the start of his college career I’d be somewhat floored. I could definitely see 33, but 41 is far from crazy. Not like Luke Pletcher was a giant and he certainly turned out okay.

Short legs and arms above 133?

IMG_0523.JPG

Reminder that the last time he competed, at 126, was the summer after his freshman year. Yes, he is an “old” freshman, but he was still a high school freshman. If he doesn’t gain 15 pounds between the end of his HS freshman year and the start of his college career I’d be somewhat floored. I could definitely see 33, but 41 is far from crazy. Not like Luke Pletcher was a giant and he certainly turned out okay.
If he doesn't do a vertical growth spurt....those 15 lbs. are just going to make him wider.....and probably slower. what is his measured height? I am guessing 4 ft. 8-9 inches. That is a 125 lb. wrestler at this point. Sorry :(
He is quick and powerful at 120 and certainly very competitive at 126.....but I am not seeing him ( at this time ) being a dynamo at any weight over 133. Arm length, leverage and not being overextended on his shots will be tough on him aside from a growth spurt. That he is an old Freshman tempers the expectations even more. I wish him far better than I envision.

Last edited:
Reactions: fronk71
Just curious: which college coaches were sanctioned by the NCAA for illegal recruiting tactics? And which wrestlers were deemed ineligible or suspended or disallowed from competing for a given college, due to recruiting improprieties?

Because if "they don't like to follow rules in western PA," somebody had to have been caught by now.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Just curious: which college coaches were sanctioned by the NCAA for illegal recruiting tactics? And which wrestlers were deemed ineligible or suspended or disallowed from competing for a given college, due to recruiting improprieties?

Because if "they don't like to follow rules in western PA," somebody had to have been caught by now.
This! He is right in that coaches are around these kids all the time when it’s really too early to be able to recruit them but wrestling is different..it just is. I was at a Sheetz last year in Richland and ran into Tom Ryan. I said Hi coach. He said he was impressed that he was recognized and that he could tell we know our wrestling around here. Lol. Can’t remember where but he said he was doing some sort of clinic. I wanted to so badly ask him which kid he was here to recruit but I held my tongue. Lmao.

This! He is right in that coaches are around these kids all the time when it’s really too early to be able to recruit them but wrestling is different..it just is. I was at a Sheetz last year in Richland and ran into Tom Ryan. I said Hi coach. He said he was impressed that he was recognized and that he could tell we know our wrestling around here. Lol. Can’t remember where but he said he was doing some sort of clinic. I wanted to so badly ask him which kid he was here to recruit but I held my tongue. Lmao.
Wrestling isn't all that different. One of my best friends is a HS swimming head coach in PA, and formerly coached crew at a few D1 colleges. It's the same in both sports.

In fact crew is much worse, because wealthy parents see it as a vehicle to push junior into the "right" schools (Penn and Cornell are 2nd tier to these folks). They'll do just about anything, the coaches are more than willing to play along, and school admins do special favors to get wealthy potential donors on board -- as we saw when Stanford Crew got caught up in the college admissions scandal two years ago.

Wrestling isn't all that different. One of my best friends is a HS swimming head coach in PA, and formerly coached crew at a few D1 colleges. It's the same in both sports.

In fact crew is much worse, because wealthy parents see it as a vehicle to push junior into the "right" schools (Penn and Cornell are 2nd tier to these folks). They'll do just about anything, the coaches are more than willing to play along, and school admins do special favors to get wealthy potential donors on board -- as we saw when Stanford Crew got caught up in the college admissions scandal two years ago.
Yeah you’re 100 percent correct. I think my statement was more in comparison to the big time sports where there’s an illusion that the NCAA is policing things more to prevent improprieties. But even with them I think you’re correct.

IMO, the height issue is overestimated as a potential problem. Just really quickly, some guys who are/were “short” for their weight who were very successful include: Pletcher, M McIntosh, Max Dean, Tomasello, Spencer Lee, Molinaro, Yianni D and on and on.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
IMO, the height issue is overestimated as a potential problem. Just really quickly, some guys who are/were “short” for their weight who were very successful include: Pletcher, M McIntosh, Max Dean, Tomasello, Spencer Lee, Molinaro, Yianni D and on and on.
Tomasello was a fire hydrant.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Not like 141 is exactly full of giants, either. Nick Lee is also not a particularly tall guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT