ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Barr is probably on the Nickal and Wright plan. 184 for a year or 2 before going 197. Most likely after Ferrari graduates or does something stupid.

Word on the street around here is that Nolan Lear wrestled his last match at state. He won't be attending college. I know he had plenty of offers, kinda surprised he didnt take any of them.

Word on the street around here is that Nolan Lear wrestled his last match at state. He won't be attending college. I know he had plenty of offers, kinda surprised he didnt take any of them.
Interesting. He was just announced for Dapper Dan.

Interesting. He was just announced for Dapper Dan.

From his FB page.

"Just like that my high school wrestling career has ended. I never thought the day would come where there’s no more practices or tournaments to compete in. I have spent a long time in the sport and countless hours working hard towards my goals. I have achieved many and came short of some but the sport of wrestling has taught me to never give up. It’s a battle on the mat, physically and mentally trying to break your Opponent. It has taught me to get back up when knocked down and fight back. Wrestling is like no other sport, the bond between your teammates coaches and fans is like a family that will never be forgotten. The memories will never be forgotten, it is a part of who I am and it will never leave me. On to my next chapter…"

Guess that people could interpret what he said in different ways.

Meyer Shapiro. Then Mullen. Then to drive stakes into hearts McGowan. It is then when the completion will realize it’s pretty much game over for awhile. Lmao.
We likely have money committed to the two MI guys - not 100% of course, but probably money. Not sure if we have much committed to in-state Nasdeo.

If Kasak jumps on, like has been rumored, he is likely getting some as well despite being in-state. McGowan, Mullen and Shapiro are in the same class, I think it's unrealistic to expect commitments from all of them. Even the slush fund has limits.

We likely have money committed to the two MI guys - not 100% of course, but probably money. Not sure if we have much committed to in-state Nasdeo.

If Kasak jumps on, like has been rumored, he is likely getting some as well despite being in-state. McGowan, Mullen and Shapiro are in the same class, I think it's unrealistic to expect commitments from all of them. Even the slush fund has limits.
Yeah…I agree. Everyone wants Shapiro but I think our biggest need of the 3 is actually Mullen. But what do I know? Cael is the one who builds championship teams. I’m just fortunate that he’s doing it for the team I cheer for.

Yeah…I agree. Everyone wants Shapiro but I think our biggest need of the 3 is actually Mullen. But what do I know? Cael is the one who builds championship teams. I’m just fortunate that he’s doing it for the team I cheer for.
Agreed, but I know less than you. 😬

Reactions: danoftw

Good point

I think people really want Shapiro, myself included, because he has potential to be in the vein of our best of the best a la Nolf, Nickal, Brooks, etc. I don't know if the same can be said of Kasak, Nasdeo and some others.

But, as always, Cael truly does know best and I'll just happily sit by and be grateful to have him helming our program!

I think people really want Shapiro, myself included, because he has potential to be in the vein of our best of the best a la Nolf, Nickal, Brooks, etc. I don't know if the same can be said of Kasak, Nasdeo and some others.

But, as always, Cael truly does know best and I'll just happily sit by and be grateful to have him helming our program!
Kasak is a pretty elite level talent

Don't follow recruiting as much as others. How/where does Penn State stand with Pierson Manville?
He's just a sophomore. For a Manville, that be like...
giphy.gif

Don't follow recruiting as much as others. How/where does Penn State stand with Pierson Manville?

My guess and it's purely a guess: he'll be welcomed on the team but probably not a hard recruiting push, more of a "we're here if you want to come."

Likewise guessing that's what happens if he wants to wrestle D1 or go Greco like Mason. But who knows with the Manvilles. Carson is at Penn Tech and not on the wrestling team there.

Also, a hunch that Cael may go lighter in 2024. Many more big names in both 2023 and 2025. He'll take in some 2024 kids, but maybe only 1 ride given out (like he did with Zain, Cenzo, and Carter).

My guess and it's purely a guess: he'll be welcomed on the team but probably not a hard recruiting push, more of a "we're here if you want to come."

Likewise guessing that's what happens if he wants to wrestle D1 or go Greco like Mason. But who knows with the Manvilles. Carson is at Penn Tech and not on the wrestling team there.

Also, a hunch that Cael may go lighter in 2024. Many more big names in both 2023 and 2025. He'll take in some 2024 kids, but maybe only 1 ride given out (like he did with Zain, Cenzo, and Carter).
He’ll go lighter and the Askrens of the world will think he’s losing his touch :rolleyes:

He’ll go lighter and the Askrens of the world will think he’s losing his touch :rolleyes:
"Do you have a plan?"

I meant to do this in the earlier post but it was kinda hart from my phone at work -- between Dice's spreadsheet and a few other notes ...

Note that "names to watch" do not reflect any interest from PSU or toward PSU -- literally just some name guys to watch. And weights are guesses (well, maybe not for Mullen).

2023:
- committed: Nasdeo (M2 125/133), Davis (MI 133), Barr (MI 174/184)
- known to be recruiting: Kasak (M2 141/149), Shapiro (MD 149/157), McGowan (FL 125), Mullen (NJ HWT)
- other uncommitted names to watch: S. Johnson (M2, 141), Evans (PA 165), Dellagatta (NJ 174/184), Robell (PA HWT)

We've heard Kasak is down to PSU or Nebraska, and Shapiro is down to PSU or Cornell.

2024:
- committed: none
- finalist for: Gibson (M2 141?)
- names to watch: Simcox (M2 141/149), Harer (PA 165/174), Sealey (NC 165/174), Lawrence (PA 174/184), Kinney (PA 285)

2025:
- names to watch: Desmond (M2 125/133), Lilledahl (MO 125/133), DeLuca (NJ 133/141), Campbell (PA 133/141), Parkins (PA 133/141), Knox (NJ 149), Perry (M2 149/157), Rath (PA 149/157), Shaw (PA 157), Duke (NY 157/165), Sipes (M2 174), Correa (NH 197/HWT), A. Johnson (M2 HWT)

Last edited:
TL;DR for above: a lot of names, not many spaces. Somebody's gonna have to go elsewhere.

Regarding 2024 -- if I were to rank the likelihood of landing those guys:
Gibson -- pursuing, finalist (but having a bad feeling about this one)
Harer, Sealey -- potential weight overlap with a bunch of guys; more likely if we miss on Shapiro
Simcox -- depth at PSU, starter elsewhere
Lawrence -- we might not even push for him
Kinney -- supposedly leaning football; backup plan if we miss on Mullen

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
TL;DR for above: a lot of names, not many spaces. Somebody's gonna have to go elsewhere.

Regarding 2024 -- if I were to rank the likelihood of landing those guys:
Gibson -- pursuing, finalist (but having a bad feeling about this one)
Harer, Sealey -- potential weight overlap with a bunch of guys; more likely if we miss on Shapiro
Simcox -- depth at PSU, starter elsewhere
Lawrence -- we might not even push for him
Kinney -- supposedly leaning football; backup plan if we miss on Mullen
Quick, without thinking …very first thought. Kasak or Gibson?

Quick, without thinking …very first thought. Kasak or Gibson?
Prefer? Probably Gibson.

Likely to get? Probably Kasak.

Better college career? I have no idea. There's a school of thought that Gibson will physically peak earlier. I'd like to see him this offseason before passing any judgment ... and Cael thought enough of his potential to go after him hard.

Will say this about Gibson: the way he lost to Ungar was shocking to me. Not the fast pin (and it was a quickie), but how he got taken to his back. For someone with his career to date, that was inconceivable. Hopefully that was an aberration (unless he goes elsewhere).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT