ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

only a special kind of person would pass up a princeton education to go to penn state...
Correct someone who wants to WIN. I get the fact Princeton is a great education but a Penn State degree and a few national championships rings isn’t too bad either.

Bartlett, Van Ness both did it. Nolf turned down Stanford.

just my opinion, but the progress that princeton has shown under ayers, with glory and monday both in the finals last year, has closed the wrestling gap enough that the education gap is the difference maker for me.

obviously if just want to be a kinesiology major and coach wrestling after graduation, you should absolutely go to PSU to maximize your chances of becoming an NCAA champion. but if you're looking at any STEM major then princeton should be the pick.

just my opinion, but the progress that princeton has shown under ayers, with glory and monday both in the finals last year, has closed the wrestling gap enough that the education gap is the difference maker for me.

obviously if just want to be a kinesiology major and coach wrestling after graduation, you should absolutely go to PSU to maximize your chances of becoming an NCAA champion. but if you're looking at any STEM major then princeton should be the pick.
Not true. PSU is a better engineering school and with more majors.

if just want to be a kinesiology major and coach wrestling after graduation, you should absolutely go to PSU to maximize your chances of becoming an NCAA champion. but if you're looking at any STEM major then princeton should be the pick.
My PSU engineering degree served me just fine. Also, having the largest active alumni tends to open doors. That said, much of success relies on the individual. I'm sure MAMc will do just fine whichever path he chooses.

Side Note: Monday studies Anthropology and Glory studies Economics. I do not think Economics falls within STEM, so to your point, these high level wrestlers are not seeking out STEM degrees at Princeton either

guys, i'm not disagreeing with your personal anecdotes and specific majors. i'm just saying that, for the kids that are good enough academically that princeton is considering them, the great majority are better off going to princeton than penn state. i'm not saying that everybody is; i'm not saying that MAMc specifically is; i'm just talking generally. i didn't realize this was such a controversial take.

guys, i'm not disagreeing with your personal anecdotes and specific majors. i'm just saying that, for the kids that are good enough academically that princeton is considering them, the great majority are better off going to princeton than penn state. i'm not saying that everybody is; i'm not saying that MAMc specifically is; i'm just talking generally. i didn't realize this was such a controversial take.
I agree with this. It wasn't your original statement.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I agree with this. It wasn't your original statement.

i think it was pretty darn close. replace "a special kind of person" in my original statement with "someone outside the great majority" (i think those terms mean approximately the same thing) and it becomes:

only (someone outside the great majority) would pass up a princeton education to go to penn state...

Reactions: Antaeus and hlstone
i think it was pretty darn close. replace "a special kind of person" in my original statement with "someone outside the great majority" (i think those terms mean approximately the same thing) and it becomes:

only (someone outside the great majority) would pass up a princeton education to go to penn state...
If only you hadn't specified STEM.

Correct someone who wants to WIN. I get the fact Princeton is a great education but a Penn State degree and a few national championships rings isn’t too bad either.
My kid turned down multiple ivy's to go to NU.
Fellas, I appreciate the enthusiasm but let’s get the thread back on track here.
No

Northeastern?
hlstone's daughter's Field Hockey accomplishments have been intertwined in several threads over the past few years. She has received scholarship monies (academic and athletic) to play at Northwestern.

hlstone, add what you want. I could tell how uber-proud you are of your daughter, as you should be, but you are also very humble. It's ok to get this news out there to your forum-mates :) :).

You do realize that “just kinesiology” is a major that can lead to medical school, a PT or OT school or many occupations in the medical field?

You do realize that “just kinesiology” is a major that can lead to medical school, a PT or OT school or many occupations in the medical field?

i didn't say "just kinesiology" though. i said "just want to be a kinesiology major and coach wrestling after graduation". it was a full clause that implied no further ambitions school-wise.

yes, of course you can do more with kinesiology than being a wrestling coach. i was saying that those type of people, who want to pursue graduate level schooling, would be better served going to princeton.

i was saying that those type of people, who want to pursue graduate level schooling, would be better served going to princeton.
To each dream its own pursuit.

Do we even know MAMc wishes to pursue graduate level schooling?

If we're instead now talking generalities:
  • Graduates of any accredited university can successfully pursue graduate school, if they have the financial means.
  • I wonder what % of student athletes pursue graduate school without remaining athletic eligibility, and how that compares wrestlers and the overall student population.
If MAMc's exceptional wrestling ability translates to his character and the classroom, then he's truly blessed.

So, as MAMc's unsolicited advisor, I'd say getting into an acceptable graduate school should be the least of his worries when picking his school.

Reactions: hlstone
Me checking in on the dedicated recruiting news thread for any exciting updates and seeing that it has gone the way of most other BWI threads.

Shocked Michael Rainey Jr GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

Not sure Forrest’s recruitment did or will have anything to do with McGowan. But both sides seem to have cooled on one another a bit lately.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Visit is scheduled and I will echo Rock that he has received a "we want you bad" scholarship offer
Now we just have to wait another year to find out. He says he will wait until next year, let's hope he is talking January as opposed to October. I like what I am seeing at the lower weights, a number of good choices in the HS pipeline. How much any of them grow is another question.

ADVERTISEMENT