ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Wrestling recruiting is cyclical, it's also very challenging obviously. You can't get everyone bottom line. For Ohio State, it actually worked out nicely they had a few "duds" in their previous classes and they had immediate clear needs at all weights the 2022 kids were at. It's hard to convince kids to come, especially if you have less money on the books at weights where you're pretty settled for a while. You have to evaluate classes across the board and envision lineups way down the future (while not knowing how much a kid can grow totally) It's a very difficult job that Cael seems to have mastered.

For us, I imagine Cael knew he had to pick between Mendez/Bartlett/Van Ness/Bouzakis since they were all supposed to be the 141/149 range. It now looks likely that one of Bouzakis or Mendez both can potentially be a career 133 but nobody could have known that in 2022 per se when Bouzakis/Mendez were sophomores and just haven't grown. That's actually often a reason why Cael doesn't call a kid until senior year, when he has a pretty good idea of how big they'll get maybe but also he is careful when evaluating early phenoms. Once again, very difficult job that Cael has mastered.

Another example, Levi Haines originally said he was going to grow to be 174/184 ... now that likely won't be the case and there's talks of him being a career 157 even (likely 165 at some point)

Unless I'm missing something, you may have recruiting classes mixed up. tOSU's monster class (Mendez, Feldman, Bouzakis, Shumate, etc) was class of 2022. Kasak, Barr, Davis, Mullen, and McGowan are all class of 2023. Even if PSU somehow lands all five, one probably would still give the edge to the tOSU class of 2022, with three guys in the top 5 P4P.

tOSU also has a nice start to the 2023 class (Welsh and Kilkeary), but that 2022 class was ridiculous.

If tOSU doesn’t win a title or two with all of that talent, some of Cael’s critics may begin to realize that it takes more that just recruiting top talent to be have a really successful program. 😉

If tOSU doesn’t win a title or two with all of that talent, some of Cael’s critics may begin to realize that it takes more that just recruiting top talent to be have a really successful program. 😉
I dont think that is fair. As an tOSU grad, I expect to get at least a runner up out of the recruiting for 21, 22, 23. The way Penn St has become plug-and-play at replacing national finalists with younger national finalists/champs, it will be hard for any program to beat them. It will take a year where Cael punts or a year with multiple injuries. For my program to one title or more than one title, they need to reach the level where there are no holes in the lineup or have 5-6 weights with finalist potential.

I dont think that is fair. As an tOSU grad, I expect to get at least a runner up out of the recruiting for 21, 22, 23. The way Penn St has become plug-and-play at replacing national finalists with younger national finalists/champs, it will be hard for any program to beat them. It will take a year where Cael punts or a year with multiple injuries. For my program to one title or more than one title, they need to reach the level where there are no holes in the lineup or have 5-6 weights with finalist potential.
Your comment was fair. I was really only poking fun at our Iowa friends who insist Cael only wins titles because he recruits the top wrestlers. I’m very much looking forward to watching PSU v tOSU as some of these young stud recruits hit the lineup. ✌️

What’s crazy is there is still improvement to be had with all D1 programs even with Penn State still winning a title in the coming years. 2 years in a row with 5 champs in 10 weight classes has to stop. If not it’s not even going to be fun watching anymore lol.

What’s crazy is there is still improvement to be had with all D1 programs even with Penn State still winning a title in the coming years. 2 years in a row with 5 champs in 10 weight classes has to stop. If not it’s not even going to be fun watching anymore lol.
if Penn State wins it always fun!!!you think iowa and ok st didnt have fun winning all those titles??

Reactions: Ski
I guess that depends who’s watching 😉

Wait, tOSU lands the top 3 recruits from the class of 2022 plus Shumate, then Welsh and Killkerry from 2023, and all you’re expecting is one finalist out of that group? Wow, isn’t that setting the bar kind of low? 😳

Your comment was fair. I was really only poking fun at our Iowa friends who insist Cael only wins titles because he recruits the top wrestlers. I’m very much looking forward to watching PSU v tOSU as some of these young stud recruits hit the lineup. ✌️
I’d sooner have fans claiming Cael only wins cuz he recruits talented kids than fans saying Tantom leads D1 in recruiting every year but cant cash in.

Reactions: Ja1339
Wait, tOSU lands the top 3 recruits from the class of 2022 plus Shumate, then Welsh and Killkerry from 2023, and all you’re expecting is one finalist out of that group? Wow, isn’t that setting the bar kind of low? 😳
Think he meant at least one team runner-up, not one individual runner-up.

Reactions: Ja1339
if Penn State wins it always fun!!!you think iowa and ok st didnt have fun winning all those titles??
Reading comprehension my man. I said it’s no fun watching 5 champs in 10 weight classses. I said improvement can be made and people be happy essentially with Penn State still winning titles.. It’s the dominance that’s no fun.

Reading comprehension my man. I said it’s no fun watching 5 champs in 10 weight classses. I said improvement can be made and people be happy essentially with Penn State still winning titles.. It’s the dominance that’s no fun.
As a PSU fan, I very much disagree with you. I had a ton of fun watching all the champs the last couple years and look forward to more dominance.

As a fan in general, I also disagree. Dynasties never last forever and it forces other teams to adjust and step up to catch and pass the dominant team. The unfortunate part is a bunch of teams will likely be left behind, either unwilling or unable to keep up in the arms race.

You are absolutely correct. It's getting boring watching us win 5 individual titles. I say it is time we won 6! Who's with me???
giphy.gif

More a sense of reality.
The group OSU has gathered will give them a few titles, and finalists. At least with OSU having a champ and a slew of finalists to go with PSU's half a dozen champs Iowa will know early that an extra 60 points or so won't be enough.

Reactions: Split shot
I could be wrong but Kilkeary was kind of an earlier phenom who hasn't improved much right? I know he beat both Kasak and Davis before though so obviously not trying to downplay him but I think he was Top 10 PFP on all lists forever and he's fringe Top 50 now. Great wrestler, I'm good with what we have at 125/133 going forward.

Think he meant at least one team runner-up, not one individual runner-up.
Yes, meant 'to achieve one team title.'
But to your response about finalists. Feldman for sure. Mendez and Bouzakis have the potential but those weights are always loaded, so who knows. Welsh looks good, but I have learned not to prognosticate upper weights other than 285.

well you gotta remember who the coach is ,they get a lot of 1 ranking on recruits but not very good results!

DOMINANCE IS THE FUN!!!

You guys do understand I’m speaking from an anyone but Penn State fan perspective…… right? Didn’t think that needed to be descriptive in nature lol.

I just heard this tonight at club and didn’t think it could be close to be true. Heard that Gibson is transferring to Becca and verbally to PSU soon. I guess the rumor had some substance. I guess his dad is in the army and moving jobs.

• Wow
Reactions: mjmirv
I just heard this tonight at club and didn’t think it could be close to be true. Heard that Gibson is transferring to Becca and verbally to PSU soon. I guess the rumor had some substance. I guess his dad is in the army and moving jobs.
That didn't come from same guy that told you Bassets house was for sale did it?

ADVERTISEMENT