ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

I could see some "room" type recruits going elsewhere due to NIL but otherwise I am not concerned at all. Many athletes are willing to give up $ for a championship, fortunately for us they can have both here.

Wonder how many, if any, PSU recruiting targets chose other colleges because of more favorable NIL deals?

It is becoming apparent that colleges that fail to recognize and participate in the new recruiting reality will, over time, become less competitive. Based on this year's recruiting results thus far, Ohio State "gets it."

" Money changes everything." Cindy Lauper
I agree to some extent but what I don't agree with is that assuming all kids are so heavily influenced by money. Some are to be sure but there are some kids who think further down the road then just an nil deal. Hope to hear out this plays out in the next ten deals as in who declined deals and who took them

Wonder how many, if any, PSU recruiting targets chose other colleges because of more favorable NIL deals?

It is becoming apparent that colleges that fail to recognize and participate in the new recruiting reality will, over time, become less competitive. Based on this year's recruiting results thus far, Ohio State "gets it."

" Money changes everything." Cindy Lauper

Nick Saban is warning against it ungoverned, unrestrained

Nick Saban is warning against it ungoverned, unrestrained

Darth Saban senses competition arising...

d3fd2e3fd566fbd52d6b0d3a311195d9b9ac77f1.gifv

My question is, in this day and age is it feasible for an athlete to do BOTH football and wrestling at the D1 level? If so, is this the young man’s goal?

Lastly, if it is his goal, would it decrease the chances he’d choose PSU, since in football he might be just a notch below the tier of athlete the PSU program is currently recruiting?

Coach Franklin is a big wrestling fan/supporter, maybe he’d throw Cael a bone on this one?

My question is, in this day and age is it feasible for an athlete to do BOTH football and wrestling at the D1 level? If so, is this the young man’s goal?

Lastly, if it is his goal, would it decrease the chances he’d choose PSU, since in football he might be just a notch below the tier of athlete the PSU program is currently recruiting?

Coach Franklin is a big wrestling fan/supporter, maybe he’d throw Cael a bone on this one?
Is it feasible? Yes, for one year anyway -- Spencer Myers started in both sports for Maryland.

But his schedule was insane for that one year, and likely isn't sustainable.

Is that Mullen's goal? IDK, but from what I've read, gut says he's likely picking one sport but listening to everyone.

BTW. when he visited Michigan, no pics of him with Coach Khaki. Or pics with Coach Mullet at OKST. That seems like a clue.

The demands and expectations at the high D1 level are just too much IMO. Garcia tried at Michigan and ended up transferring to Kent State I believe. He might pull it off there, where the spotlight is much smaller in both sports.

The demands and expectations at the high D1 level are just too much IMO. Garcia tried at Michigan and ended up transferring to Kent State I believe. He might pull it off there, where the spotlight is much smaller in both sports.
Gaige Garcia is at Lehigh but his younger brother is at Kent State. He was also not a Michigan-level football recruit, the way that Mullen isn't a PSU-level football recruit. Zero chance he gets a football scholarship here.

Josh Hokit played football for Fresno State at a high level and was an All-American, but that's the exception rather than the rule and I doubt anyone could do it and still wrestle at the level PSU expects from kids.

To me, Mullen seems to have a higher ceiling in wrestling as opposed to football. I just pulled up his recruiting profile on 247 and he hasn’t been assigned a star rating despite being class of 2023. That’s not to say he couldn’t become something in football, but it doesn’t exactly bode well either. Moreover, Penn State has had its fair share of 2 sport athletes (Mac Hippenhammer, Lonnie White before the Pirates drafted him last year, even Matt McCutcheon), but they’re very few and far between. Going back to back with Division I level athletics at a Power Five school? That borders on masochism haha.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
did stephen neal play football in college or not till pros?
Stephen Neal didn’t play until the pros. He lost the 2000 Olympic Team spot to Kerry McCoy and retired from wrestling. He was signed by the Patriots as a UDFA in ‘01, was cut by the Pats, signed to the Eagles practice squad, picked back up by the Pats in December’01, and played for them until 2011.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01
Gaige Garcia is at Lehigh but his younger brother is at Kent State. He was also not a Michigan-level football recruit, the way that Mullen isn't a PSU-level football recruit. Zero chance he gets a football scholarship here.

Josh Hokit played football for Fresno State at a high level and was an All-American, but that's the exception rather than the rule and I doubt anyone could do it and still wrestle at the level PSU expects from kids.
Hokit also just had a very hot tournament in 2019 in a weak 197 class (Brucki placed 4th for reference, 3 years later, he would go R16 after entering a better training situation) He was a 16/17 seed with 5 losses going into the tournament (out of the Big 12) for a reason. I typically wouldn't expect an AA wrestler to be playing football as well.

Hokit also just had a very hot tournament in 2019 in a weak 197 class (Brucki placed 4th for reference, 3 years later, he would go R16 after entering a better training situation) He was a 16/17 seed with 5 losses going into the tournament (out of the Big 12) for a reason. I typically wouldn't expect an AA wrestler to be playing football as well.
I thought about this during the Kueter to Iowa commitment.

I fully support and encourage all wrestlers on teams I don't root for to concurrently pursue college football. The more high-risk, physically-grueling hobbies and pursuits, the better.

Josh Hokit is one of my favorite non-Penn State wrestlers. In the video above, you can see that he came to wrestle. He was just seriously overmatched by one of the best ever. He did have a fantastic run in the consolations, beating #11 Brunner, #5 Warner and #6 Miklus to get 5th place.

I get your Brucki reference but on the other hand, Hockit beating Warner and 4x AA Miklus are very significant wins.

I thought about this during the Kueter to Iowa commitment.

I fully support and encourage all wrestlers on teams I don't root for to concurrently pursue college football. The more high-risk, physically-grueling hobbies and pursuits, the better.
I fully believe that Kueter will pick one eventually.

To me, Mullen seems to have a higher ceiling in wrestling as opposed to football. I just pulled up his recruiting profile on 247 and he hasn’t been assigned a star rating despite being class of 2023. That’s not to say he couldn’t become something in football, but it doesn’t exactly bode well either. Moreover, Penn State has had its fair share of 2 sport athletes (Mac Hippenhammer, Lonnie White before the Pirates drafted him last year, even Matt McCutcheon), but they’re very few and far between. Going back to back with Division I level athletics at a Power Five school? That borders on masochism haha.
Mike Guman was a very good football player and was a pitcher on the baseball team. I believe he only played baseball his senior year. IIRC, he was drafted by an MLB team. He played in the NFL for seven seasons.

Reactions: Tjsch1
ADVERTISEMENT