ADVERTISEMENT

PSU ranked #125 universities by Wall Street Journal report

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
several schools in PA ahead of PSU. it was a bit shocking - tOSU and MSU were above PSU. hard to see a school like Pitt above us. one item that hurt PSU was we did not have a good avg graduate salary. that really surprised me.

Is that a ranking of worldwide universities or just in the USA? Niche.com rates PSU #17 among all public universities in the USA. US News and World Report has PSU as #14 nationally among public universities and 52nd among all universities.

Last edited:
When looking at the methodology it speaks of using the "THE U.S. Student Survey" and "THE Academic Reputation Survey" as part of the score. I can't find copies of either survey online but the "THE Student Survey" was completed by 200,000 students and they say over 1,000 colleges were ranked. Simple math gives you 200 per school average completion rate. With our very large student population I'm sorry but I don't put much weight into the opinions of 200 students.

https://www.airweb.org/eAIR/specialfeatures/Pages/THE-Rankings.aspx

If you'd like to learn more about the data and how it was used. A couple other things that hurts us due to our size is average salary upon graduation and of course our racial diversity.

There's not much doubt that since so much money was spent in the settlements, the academic side of things has taken a serious pounding. I'm not surprised at all. We're close to the bottom of the Big Ten right now.

It's hard to believe that this has happened, since the BOT said that none of the settlement money would affect academics.

Reactions: JoeFi
several schools in PA ahead of PSU. it was a bit shocking - tOSU and MSU were above PSU. hard to see a school like Pitt above us. one item that hurt PSU was we did not have a good avg graduate salary. that really surprised me.
Disconcerting to say the least, but very understandable.

Look at who’s running PSU. Between “Fat Fart” and a Board of Trustees headed by an individual of such poor reputation, that even PSU has “masked his position”.

The following link will lead you to a listing of PSU’s BOT. Normally, the Chairman is listed first.....but for some reason Dambly’s “annointment” is purposefully hidden.

PSU pretty much deserves to be ranked out of the top 100 as long as we have this collective group of bozo nimrods running a previously great institution into the ground.

https://trustees.psu.edu/membership.html

Last edited:
Flag. No link to the actual list.

Gettysburg #110
Franklin & Marshall #89
Lafayette #70
Bucknell #59
Lehigh #50

Looks like the Category "Resources" (finance per student (IPEDS, BEA), faculty per student (IPEDS), research papers per faculty (Elsevier)) is where Penn State got hammered. In that category, they were judged to be equivalent to Hawaii-Hilo, Luther College, and Rutgers-Camden.

That right there should tell you these rankings are utter garbage! Surprised they don't have Kutztown ahead of PSU too. What a joke ... #fakenews
Joe Pa rules this was suppose to be a joke. I havent seen the list. Sorry for stirring your Ire.

Looks like the Category "Resources" (finance per student (IPEDS, BEA), faculty per student (IPEDS), research papers per faculty (Elsevier)) is where Penn State got hammered. In that category, they were judged to be equivalent to Hawaii-Hilo, Luther College, and Rutgers-Camden.

Must research papers per faculty be a meaningful metric? No. Penn State spends over $800 MM in research a year, among the top schools in the nation. There must be a reason the school gets the money to spend year after year.

Last edited:
# WallStreetCulture
Oh for gods sake chill out. It’s a survey. Psu is very solid. And has a lot of people working in Ny and on Wall Street. And, this survey seems to take into account all schools rather than stratifying in ways you are perhaps accustomed to. On an all in list that may be about right.

And yet we’re ranked top 50 in several other rankings, including one I read a couple of years ago that had us top 100 in the world. Plus, we’re widely considered a public ivy, so whatever.

I don't think that's the case ... at all. I know back when I attended, the Honors Program (which has now expanded and morphed into the Schreyer Honors College) was considered the rough equivalent of a "public ivy" education, but not the university as a whole.

Reactions: psulax3
Some people pay way too much attention to this garbage.
Perhaps, but funny how not many here were calling it garbage when we were ranked much higher. For example, when the WSJ had such flattering things to say about Penn State several years ago, we never heard the end of it, both on this board and emanating from the University itself.

I wonder if the recent football success will result in increased applications for admission. I know this was the case at Villanova a few years ago after the basketball championship, although Villanova heretofore was not well known nationally. But I also think the reputation was hurt by the hazing death at the frat and the reputation of PSU as a party school. Some parents are afraid to send their kids there due to these alcohol related events and other distractions. Not that this doesn’t happen elsewhere but it seems Penn State’s reputation was tarnished as a result of that kid dying and parents are cautious about these things.

Perhaps, but funny how not many here were calling it garbage when we were ranked much higher. For example, when the WSJ had such flattering things to say about Penn State several years ago, we never heard the end of it, both on this board and emanating from the University itself.

Yup, garbage then, garbage now.

In situations like this, Joe's advice is timeless, "Act like you've been there before." Accept compliments graciously, offer a simple thank you, and move on. When you act like a crow, the joke is on you when you're being served up for dinner.

I don't think that's the case ... at all. I know back when I attended, the Honors Program (which has now expanded and morphed into the Schreyer Honors College) was considered the rough equivalent of a "public ivy" education, but not the university as a whole.
In 1985, Richard Moll dubbed the name “Public Ivies” and included 8 schools of which PSU was not one. He did, however, include PSU as one of 9 “worthy runners-up.” Years later Matthew Greene expanded the list to 30 public ivies regionally...PSU was on this list.

Oh for gods sake chill out. It’s a survey. Psu is very solid. And has a lot of people working in Ny and on Wall Street. And, this survey seems to take into account all schools rather than stratifying in ways you are perhaps accustomed to. On an all in list that may be about right.

HE. WAS. JOKING. :eek:

Reactions: LionJim
I wonder if the recent football success will result in increased applications for admission. I know this was the case at Villanova a few years ago after the basketball championship, although Villanova heretofore was not well known nationally. But I also think the reputation was hurt by the hazing death at the frat and the reputation of PSU as a party school. Some parents are afraid to send their kids there due to these alcohol related events and other distractions. Not that this doesn’t happen elsewhere but it seems Penn State’s reputation was tarnished as a result of that kid dying and parents are cautious about these things.

I can say that last year a record number of applicants that had been accepted to main campus decided to attend. Even with cramming students into study lounges there wasn't enough room at main so the university decided to offer scholarships to the tune of ~$10k each to students that had been accepted to main campus but would be willing to attend a branch campus for their first 2 years.

More than the football team / hazing death what is impacting the applications is the fact that while PSU is overpriced imo, they're still tens of thousands of dollars less than private universities. From the PA ones above us on the list - Bucknell $70k, Lehigh $65k, Lafayette $64k, Gettysburg $62k, F&M $65k, and since you mentioned Villanova they come in at $68k. PSU coming in at ~$32k in state and ~$46k out of state, is still a comparative savings for your average student who won't get a huge financial aid package from those private schools. Even compared to mid-range private schools it's a savings i.e. Scranton $61k, Moravian $53k, Juniata $53k.

In 1985, Richard Moll dubbed the name “Public Ivies” and included 8 schools of which PSU was not one. He did, however, include PSU as one of 9 “worthy runners-up.” Years later Matthew Greene expanded the list to 30 public ivies regionally...PSU was on this list.

Moll also included the University of Vermont on his list. The Greenes, whose business is selling counseling services to college applicants (more precisely, the families of college applicants), included UConn and MSU on their list. You pays your money, you often get junk.

I can say that last year a record number of applicants that had been accepted to main campus decided to attend. Even with cramming students into study lounges there wasn't enough room at main so the university decided to offer scholarships to the tune of ~$10k each to students that had been accepted to main campus but would be willing to attend a branch campus for their first 2 years.

More than the football team / hazing death what is impacting the applications is the fact that while PSU is overpriced imo, they're still tens of thousands of dollars less than private universities. From the PA ones above us on the list - Bucknell $70k, Lehigh $65k, Lafayette $64k, Gettysburg $62k, F&M $65k. PSU coming in at ~$32k in state and ~$46k out of state, is still a comparative savings for your average student who won't get a huge financial aid package from those private schools. Even compared to mid-range private schools it's a savings i.e. Scranton $61k, Moravian $53k, Juniata $53k.

Overcrowding must do wonders for a school's academic ranking.

Forgetting about rankings, and based only upon my own, totally objective, opinion:rolleyes:, I consider Penn State a good university, not a great one. The Ivies are great ones. Stanford is a great one, and Duke, and MIT. Among the good ones, we are in the middle. I would put us behind schools like Virginia and Michigan, for example. I believe we are not as good a school as we were before the Sandusky Scandal and that the current leadership is largely responsible for that decline. There are a lot of terrific students at Penn State, but there are a lot of very average ones too. Great things happen, and scandalous things as well. In that respect, we are just like so many other schools... Ohio State, Michigan State, Pitt, Tennessee, UCLA.... We can take pride in who we are, but we should not exaggerate our position in the academic cosmos. If we are to improve our standing, we need new leadership. Those now in control will do nothing to elevate our status, and will likely lead us on a slow, but steady, decline.

Reactions: nits74
Forgetting about rankings, and based only upon my own, totally objective, opinion:rolleyes:, I consider Penn State a good university, not a great one. The Ivies are great ones. Stanford is a great one, and Duke, and MIT. Among the good ones, we are in the middle. I would put us behind schools like Virginia and Michigan, for example. I believe we are not as good a school as we were before the Sandusky Scandal and that the current leadership is largely responsible for that decline. There are a lot of terrific students at Penn State, but there are a lot of very average ones too. Great things happen, and scandalous things as well. In that respect, we are just like so many other schools... Ohio State, Michigan State, Pitt, Tennessee, UCLA.... We can take pride in who we are, but we should not exaggerate our position in the academic cosmos. If we are to improve our standing, we need new leadership. Those now in control will do nothing to elevate our status, and will likely lead us on a slow, but steady, decline.

Tennessee? Feh!

Good take. The belief that Penn State is some sort of elite university is misguided. And now more than ever.

Reactions: Aardvark86

I hate us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT