Out-of-State:
$555
Graduate: In-State:
$886–$1,185
Out-of-State:
$886–$1,185
Relative Cost Score:
penn-state-world-campus

Launched in 1998, Penn State World Campus is the online college division of the highly respected Pennsylvania State University, with an enrollment of over 14,000 students.

Online Degrees from Penn State
Penn State World Campus offers more than 200 online programs, including a full array of undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as online certifications. Penn State’s World Campus awards degrees in virtually every field — including popular degree programs like engineering, education, healthcare, and business.

Online degree offerings include:

• 72 online certificates
  • 11 online associate degrees
  • 48 online bachelor’s degrees
  • 78 online master’s degrees
  • 1 online doctorate
Penn State also ranks among the Top 10 Online Degree Programs in over 30 of our degree-specific rankings.

Key Student Features
Online students receive instruction from the same world-class faculty members who teach to Penn State’s on-campus students. Online students also have access to academic advisors, career services, online tutoring, and library services.

Online courses are asynchronous, so students can complete coursework on their schedule. However, readings, assignments, discussions, and exams must be completed by set deadlines. Some graduate degree programs require a residency period, which can range from a few days to two weeks in length.

World Campus graduates and traditional Penn State students will earn the same highly-respected degree, as well as membership in the nation’s largest alumni network.

Reactions: fairgambit
bestchools.org ranked 92nd for websites that rank colleges. Seriously, did you read the background info on the clowns that pass as professionals for that site?

bestchools.org ranked 92nd for websites that rank colleges. Seriously, did you read the background info on the clowns that pass as professionals for that site?
I suspect they know a lot more about it than you do so just stfu.

Reactions: PS4814
I suspect they know a lot more about it than you do so just stfu.

A lot more, probably not. Their opinion is worth about as much as mine, which ain't diddly. Unlike them, I don't publish my opinion for the world to see. Unlike them, I don't make money from prospective college applicants for worthless direction on where and how to apply to colleges. And unlike you I don't turn cartwheels every time some questionable source lauds PSU. In that vein, noticed that you missed Charles Manson rating PSU as the best party school.

Come on ass hat. If they had rated them #120, you would complain we were behind Pitt. You’ve shown your stripes long ago. It’s time to put you on gnore.

It’s always great for PSU to be ranked in the top for an academic program/college as it is a feather in our caps. However, in reviewing the rankings I am curious as to why such a high ranking when PSU is one of the most expensive while also having one of lowest graduation rates (28%). The cost I know is right - expensive school - but I almost have to believe that grad rate number is a misprint. Otherwise if true, that’s embarrassing and needs further explanation. Just reviewing the other top ten programs they all have grad rates more than twice PSUs.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Great to hear...son is pursuing his Masters with the PSU world campus.

how does he like it? i met some of the people who run that operation - top shelf. I took a couple courses as a trial to see what it was like = great job. I think US News has had us at top in this category a few times. It is also a real degree that you earn and at an affordable price.

recommend anyone on here that is looking at grad programs while they work - give this a serious look.

World Campus is high quality, it's real PSU courses and degrees. My only problem with it is cost. Tuition ($800 a credit) is exactly the same as brick and mortar classes at PSU -- that is to say, the most expensive public university tuition in the country, and there is no financial aid, just loans.

I.e. these courses are ideal if your employer is paying the tuition ($800 per credit), but if you're paying, there might be better deals out there.

Two worth checking out are Georgia Tech - which offers full scale GA Tech degree programs in business, engineering and IT -- but priced remarkably low for the quality.

Another one that's really good is Western Governors University, a consortium of West Coast states -- they offer tuition on a flat fee per semester, so if you have the time and energy to plow through their courses, you can earn a real degree very inexpensively.

Reactions: 91Joe95
The world campus is now the 2nd largest college at the university. It’s the future of academics as technology replaces bricks and mortar.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Agree with the thought that on-line should be a fraction of the cost of physically attending.
Many have said that PSU degree is comparatively very, very expensive. What I don’t know is how much of the differential is due solely to lower state aid per capital for undergrad tuition.

Come on ass hat. If they had rated them #120, you would complain we were behind Pitt. You’ve shown your stripes long ago. It’s time to put you on gnore.

Oh, the humanity. The most appropriately named poster on the site is putting me on "ignore." Don't know if I can deal with it.

url

how does he like it? i met some of the people who run that operation - top shelf. I took a couple courses as a trial to see what it was like = great job. I think US News has had us at top in this category a few times. It is also a real degree that you earn and at an affordable price.

recommend anyone on here that is looking at grad programs while they work - give this a serious look.
You know, one of the things that really motivates him is a virtual life-long desire to be part of PSU. He has loved the Nittany Lions from the crib - can’t imagine how that happened. Additionally, he should be able to finish in about 18 mos. Anyone interested in this format better be able to write though! An explanation for the grad. rate?

The world campus is now the 2nd largest college at the university. It’s the future of academics as technology replaces bricks and mortar.
Which is a bad idea. I know people doing studies online that are not doing the work themselves. I would have reservations hiring someone who got a degree online. Way too much fraud

Reactions: nits74
Agree with the thought that on-line should be a fraction of the cost of physically attending.
Many have said that PSU degree is comparatively very, very expensive. What I don’t know is how much of the differential is due solely to lower state aid per capital for undergrad tuition.

It has absolutely no relationship to cost or to state subsidy level. Penn State is about maximizing revenue. Has been for a long time, which is how you get to be the most expensive public university in the country.

When PSU administrators decide how to set tuition levels, their only question is -- how much will the market bear? They give nary a though to Penn State's supposed mission as a public university. They give zero thought to the fact that as a land-grand university, Penn State is supposed to play a role in the upward mobility of working class people.

You want a masters from PSU World Campus, it will cost you close to $30,000.

By contrast Georgia Tech offers high quality master's degrees for $6600 -- roughly what a single semester costs at PSU.

Which is a bad idea. I know people doing studies online that are not doing the work themselves. I would have reservations hiring someone who got a degree online. Way too much fraud

Problem is that the resume/diploma from a graduate from the World Campus or Branch Campus or Main Campus would say the same thing.

Now if you're talking about a Phoenix degree then I'm on board with ya.

ADVERTISEMENT