ADVERTISEMENT

PSU QB room

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
Phil talked about this today and how the room went from deep to thin. In one year we lost Michael Johnson (4* we never saw play), Micah Bowens (3* we never saw play) and Will Levis (player who has been a contributor). Now we need a QB transfer with experience who can play now. Clifford has been hurt every year so far, but Levis was able to spell him. Maybe Roberson can perform, but a total unknown. Right now if Clifford went down in the first game of 2021 and was out for the season, not sure what we might see.

I wonder if Johnson or Bowens have any regrets now. I don't blame Levis. I can only hope they saw Roberson and knew he was the clear #2. If Roberson cannot step in and perform well then we have serious trouble.

“We in a heep of trouble”.... Roberson will never be a D1 QB. Veilleaux is a Fr.. not many in the portal that fits the need which is a guy to transfer in for 2-3 yrs and be eligible immediately at least backing up Clifford and preparing to start in 22 and maybe 23.... if they settle for one year grad transfer they will be in more trouble in 22.

Reactions: TheGLOV
By “deep” I hope you mean a lot of bodies rather than talent.

Franklin found a gem in McSorley, but besides him the QB scouting/recruiting has been pretty terrible. Regardless of transfers, Nobody that has been on the roster is capable of getting this team more than 7-8 wins.

The staff definitely needs to add a portal transfer, but at this point there really hasn’t been too much talent to make an upgrade. They might make a move after spring practice when there’s an influx of QBs to the portal, but even by then we’re in trouble at the QB position.

Franklin found a gem in McSorley, but besides him the QB scouting/recruiting has been pretty terrible. Regardless of transfers, Nobody that has been on the roster is capable of getting this team more than 7-8 wins.

The staff definitely needs to add a portal transfer, but at this point there really hasn’t been too much talent to make an upgrade. They might make a move after spring practice when there’s an influx of QBs to the portal, but even by then we’re in trouble at the QB position.
Clifford did win 11 games 2 years ago, so I just can't comprehend how you say there is no qb on the roster that can produce more than 7 or 8 wins.

I wonder if Johnson or Bowens have any regrets now. I don't blame Levis. I can only hope they saw Roberson and knew he was the clear #2. If Roberson cannot step in and perform well then we have serious trouble.
Bowens should have no regrets. It was always known that Bowens is an electric athlete with a strong run mentality who needed to develop a passing game. Knowing Yurcich is a passing game guru, Bowens just didn’t mesh well with where the offense is headed.

How do you get that? Jack Hamm raved about him from practice. What have you seen to determine this? I’ll answer for you: Nothing.
Yeah, he was rated a 4* on the 247 composite and a high 3* by 247. Maybe he'll never piece it together, but it does not seem obvious that he can't cut it at the D1 level. I do wish the staff had been more aggressive getting him live reps at the end of games that were out of question though.

Truth be told it was McSorley who found (gems) in WR's that could go up and get his jump-ball passes.

:) ;) :)

Who was the QB in 2019? 11 wins.

Reactions: BBrown
I think Clifford can get us 9 or 10 wins next year. I don’t think we have the team for more than that even if Clifford plays his best. The defense is still uncertain at DE, safety, and LB.

“We in a heep of trouble”.... Roberson will never be a D1 QB. Veilleaux is a Fr.. not many in the portal that fits the need which is a guy to transfer in for 2-3 yrs and be eligible immediately at least backing up Clifford and preparing to start in 22 and maybe 23.... if they settle for one year grad transfer they will be in more trouble in 22.

Roberson will never be a D1 QB. And you base this on what? All the practices you have attended? LOL.

Clifford did win 11 games 2 years ago, so I just can't comprehend how you say there is no qb on the roster that can produce more than 7 or 8 wins.

Yes, comprehension seems to be your issue. I said there isn’t a qb on the current roster that could take “this team” - meaning the roster we’re rolling into ‘21 with.

If anyone logically thinks the current team with Clifford as the QB is capable of winning more than 8 games, they’re crazy.

Reactions: blair10 and TheGLOV
Yes, comprehension seems to be your issue. I said there isn’t a qb on the current roster that could take “this team” - meaning the roster we’re rolling into ‘21 with.

If anyone logically thinks the current team with Clifford as the QB is capable of winning more than 8 games, they’re crazy.

I do and I've been called worse. Gotta get the runningbacks healthy, recievers have come a long way, good TE's, new OC, line looked good towards the end of the year. Defense needs to be much better.

Reactions: BBrown and psu1969a
The QB room is trash - I don’t think it’s unreasonable to admit. The most important position happens to be our weakest group. Clifford has completely regressed since the first half of the ‘19 Michigan game.

If there was an upgrade from Clifford, Franklin will take it in a second. Just doesn’t seem like it’s going to be coming. You hope MY can work a miracle on what we have.

Reactions: blair10
Do we get that Clifford or the turnover machine from 2020? Can Clifford lead us to road wins at Wisky and Iowa as well as beat Auburn? If not then that is 4 losses.

Do we get that Clifford or the turnover machine from 2020? Can Clifford lead us to road wins at Wisky and Iowa as well as beat Auburn? If not then that is 4 losses.
I think he can, yes. New OC, hopefully improves his accuracy in the off-season.

Reactions: BBrown
Cliffords issues aren’t just accuracy. He has terrible pocket presence, vision, decision making, and confidence.

Looking at the schedule makes 8 wins seem tough season - and what’re we basing these assumptions off of? A 4 game win streak against teams like MSU, Rutgers, Michigan, and Illinois?

And we’re not even mentioning that we’re bringing back that same defense, especially a slow LB core and no DEs.

Reactions: blair10 and Doug456
Cliffords issues aren’t just accuracy. He has terrible pocket presence, vision, decision making, and confidence.

Looking at the schedule makes 8 wins seem tough season - and what’re we basing these assumptions off of? A 4 game win streak against teams like MSU, Rutgers, Michigan, and Illinois?

And we’re not even mentioning that we’re bringing back that same defense, especially a slow LB core and no DEs.
Schedule is brutal. No doubt.

I think Clifford can get us 9 or 10 wins next year. I don’t think we have the team for more than that even if Clifford plays his best. The defense is still uncertain at DE, safety, and LB.

I think it will all depend if we can get spring practice in. If we can our QBs/WRs/RBs will have time to learn our new OC system. If not it could be another ugly start.

The QB room is trash - I don’t think it’s unreasonable to admit. The most important position happens to be our weakest group. Clifford has completely regressed since the first half of the ‘19 Michigan game.

If there was an upgrade from Clifford, Franklin will take it in a second. Just doesn’t seem like it’s going to be coming. You hope MY can work a miracle on what we have.
I don’t think it’s our weakest group since we can only play one at a time. Compared to DE or safety where we need to play four.

Reactions: marshall23
I think he can, yes. New OC, hopefully improves his accuracy in the off-season.
I hope so but am worried. I will be cautiously optimistic.

We need the run game to be strong (Cain, Lee, Baylor transfer) behind an improved O-Line and that will help him. Also if Strange and Johnson emerge as real threats at TE along with Dotson and Washington being a strong tandem on the outside then the offense will be well diversified. Add more creative playcalling along with more up tempo and we will be tough to beat. Clifford needs to do his part but with a strong cast around him and a coach he believes in to put him in the positions to succeed then hopefully 2020 is a distant nightmare.

Clifford is the man and will be a better QB because of his bad year. According to Sports-reference.com Clifford has the highest QB rating of any PSU QB whose started two yrs or more. Says even more since he had a really bad 2020. Great team career stats all they way back a lot a yrs.
Refreshing. He ain't cam newton, give him a pocket, a running-game, let's see that old touch on the long balls come out again.

Clifford is the man and will be a better QB because of his bad year. According to Sports-reference.com Clifford has the highest QB rating of any PSU QB whose started two yrs or more. Says even more since he had a really bad 2020. Great team career stats all they way back a lot a yrs.

Boom. I LOVE Cliff. He's a winner like Trace.

• Sad
Reactions: 81b&w and TheGLOV

Clifford has proven to be a much better QB than Trace. Do a direct comparison between 2018 and 2019. In 2018, Saquan Barkley, Chris Godwin and Mike Gesicki weren't around the carry the offense and Trace's play showed what kind of player he always was, an average dual threat QB. Clifford came in with the same talent, same system and immediately upgraded play at the position despite being a first year starter.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT