ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Purdue thoughts

When only three teams in the country are “elite” then I would say it comes down to stock piling talent more so than style of play that makes a team elite. Ohio State could run down ND’s throat because they had the talent to do it, not because that’s the coaching philosophy.
Agree and disagree. Coaches still need to commit to doing it and make sure execution is there. OSU did both. Did their talent advantage help, sure. But you still need to prove it on the field. Franklin has recruited some pretty strong classes, not OSU strong but still top 10 - still waiting for the on field product to match that talent.

Reactions: scrivener
Its will be easy for me....when doing things the right way, no longer is a trait or characteristic of PSU Football, I will no longer give a shit.
I hear you and am right there with you m23…tbh, I think it is approaching this faster than we think. I think Franklin is doing things right but the rules are changing for the worse making it irrelevant.

I hear you and am right there with you m23…tbh, I think it is approaching this faster than we think. I think Franklin is doing things right but the rules are changing for the worse making it irrelevant.
It's the wild west out there right now.....and the black hats are taking advantage. I'm hoping that some sort of governance will be in place when the smoke clears. If not, its been a good run since 11/5/66....my high school football boosters treated us to a Penn State game. PSU lost to Syracuse on a Floyd Little PR, but I ended up sitting with my future wife on the bus for the trip home (big win).
I had to say goodbye to her 4716 days ago. I'll never be the same.......losing PSU football would just be a hiccup compared to that.

Agree and disagree. Coaches still need to commit to doing it and make sure execution is there. OSU did both. Did their talent advantage help, sure. But you still need to prove it on the field. Franklin has recruited some pretty strong classes, not OSU strong but still top 10 - still waiting for the on field product to match that talent.
So all the other teams that have top 10 classes other than three are underperforming as well. Sounds like expectations of 18-22 year old kids might be a bit high.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as some here. My question would be, are PSU classes really in the top 10....or more typically 15-20? I know 2022 was pretty good....but without looking up the previous 3 or 4 years, I didn't think they were top 10.

So all the other teams that have top 10 classes other than three are underperforming as well. Sounds like expectations of 18-22 year old kids might be a bit high.
You and I have had many friendly banters over the yrs :), so let me ask this then...do you think fans of Bama, OSU, UGA, etc., share your overall premise that despite these highly rated recruiting classes (which whatever that means), it's ok to lose a few games every season? B/c we both know the answer to that question. These recruiting rankings aren't so linear as to the results that play out. You don't only lose to teams ranked ahead of you, unfortunately. That's where PSU fans are frustrated, I believe. Losing to the Iowa's of the world, Minnesota, Illinois, and bad MSU teams toward the end of Dantonio's run got old real fast. If we don't set expectations based on 'perceived' talent, then what is the point of truly watching, caring, or holding coaches and players accountable for underachieving. Just my two cents.

You and I have had many friendly banters over the yrs :), so let me ask this then...do you think fans of Bama, OSU, UGA, etc., share your overall premise that despite these highly rated recruiting classes (which whatever that means), it's ok to lose a few games every season? B/c we both know the answer to that question. These recruiting rankings aren't so linear as to the results that play out. You don't only lose to teams ranked ahead of you, unfortunately. That's where PSU fans are frustrated, I believe. Losing to the Iowa's of the world, Minnesota, Illinois, and bad MSU teams toward the end of Dantonio's run got old real fast. If we don't set expectations based on 'perceived' talent, then what is the point of truly watching, caring, or holding coaches and players accountable for underachieving. Just my two cents.

. Why must a fan "set expectations?" Isn't it possible to watch games and enjoy the action? What is achieved by "holding coaches and players accountable?" We are fans, observers, not decision makers.

But by using that logic, Bama, Georgia and OSU should never lose to anyone other than each other. So should their coaches get fired when they do lose to someone? We don’t have that level of talent and we never will regardless of who the coach is and we will always lose to teams that fans perceive have less talent…all teams do. And is a team full of 5th year three stars really less talented than a team full of first and second year four stars? Teams like Iowa and Minnesota often keep their players for four and five years, so end up being better than their recruiting rankings.

sure Penn State used to have more football success overall but man some of you guys would have flipped the hell out watching John Shaffer play and he led us to a national title
I’m glad you posted this. I had been thinking about how some of this crowd would have liked the 85 squad that was undefeated and ranked #1 before losing to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Through 8 games, the 85 squad was 8-0 with 7 wins by a TD or less. Including:

- A 2pt win over unranked Temple
- 7 pt wins over unranked East Carolina and Rutgers
- 4 pt wins over unranked Syracuse and Boston College

Only Syracuse (7-5) finished with a winning record among those seven teams.

ADVERTISEMENT