ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Purdue thoughts

Can't understand why they do not put the RB's in a deeper position and hand off a little deeper. Momentum helps you break arm tackles. We did it a couple time but not nearly as much as RPO hand offs.
The RPO doesn’t work if the QB isn’t a running threat. And handing the ball to a statue isn’t helping.
O’Connell was getting rid of the ball before pressure could develop. Clifford consistently held the ball way longer.
Not sure we’re putting our talent in the best position to succeed with this scheme.

Sean Clifford is at best a decent quarterback. I hope Franklin learned a lesson from last year and plays Allar for at least half of next week's game.
O'Connell career rating 144 Clifford 141. I guess O'Connell is only decent as well.

Why do you think this continues to be a problem? The problem is glaring as other fan bases have commented. In fairness Purdue had this issue too which resulted in a couple TD's for us.
Didn't you notice the missed tackles on the Strange touchdown catch? How about the crucial missed tackle on Tinsley in the final drive? It isn't a PSU problem exclusively.
About 10 years ago state high school athletic associations started to regulate how many minutes of contact practice teams could have. This is similar at the college level. Simply stated "live" scrimmages and tackling drills are pretty scarce. Coupled with targeting rules, it's all part of the plan for a safer game.
It stands to reason that without regular live practice, tackling skills will suffer.

Coach Franklin never plays the best guys. He doesn't want to win as much as we do. He certainly doesn't know football like the posters here do. Between you and me I think the SOB actually ignores us.
In one of these threads when many had given up on the game, I read that Pitt looked good and we looked terrible….Pitt beat a team that was 6-7 last year and only did so with a lot of luck. Just goes to show how some of our fans expect perfection out of our players every game, but just winning is enough for other teams and players. If Levis plays the exact same game tomorrow as Clifford did and they win, we’ll read how great he was.

Good analysis. Disagree on the announcers though. They are over the top on everything, the Cincinnati kid, Chuck sizzle, that final drive being the best you'll see in all of college football, etc. I can do without the disingenuous theatrics. Call the game and don't make up knicknames for every player.
Amen on the announcers.

Reactions: fkkkjm
O'Connell career rating 144 Clifford 141. I guess O'Connell is only decent as well.
And O'Connell performs better with a cast of lesser talent than Clifford. Clifford continues to make the same mistakes he's been making his entire career as a sixth year player. I believe that he wound not get better if he stayed with the team for another four years. It's time to start getting Allar significant playing time so that he is ready to go later this year and next year.

Coach Franklin never plays the best guys. He doesn't want to win as much as we do. He certainly doesn't know football like the posters here do. Between you and me I think the SOB actually ignores us.
Ignore us? That would be an improvement....he actually does the opposite of what we advocate for.......
1) Keeping the RPO without a threat at QB
2) Starting K Lee at RB
3) Not moving Tengwell to OT to replace 79

CJF is willing to hurt the team to show us that he has more power than we do on this board.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
1) OL played better.... we ran to the left pretty well at times. Almost all runs were between the tackles....other than a Parker Washington jet sweep.
2) Olu Fashanu #74 was very consistent as was Tengwell and Juice......right guard seemed better and outside of Wallace getting torched 2-3 times even Wallace showed improvement.
3) Nice to see the TEs contribute.....hope the Johnson can come back....perhaps the most talented TE..... Strange missed a block on the Parker Washington play that would have sprung him to the secondary.
4) The aggressive in your face DB play is how the good teams play defense.....watch Georgia, U of Michigan both extremely aggressive....the QBs are too good to play zone and tackle....bump receivers off the route tip the ball....we should/could have had 3 ints.
5) The young runners looked good......the problem with the scheme is that the defense knows most likely where the RB will be 1 second into the play....standing at a standstill next to the QB.....so eveyone is attacking the mesh point......and if your QB is not going to run, you lose your option of pulling the ball back and running.
6) Guys that stood out: JPJ good game....made himself some money, Hardy screwed up on the punt coverage...knocking ball into Endzone (why?), but in defense the guy makes plays...... Chop Robinson, Tinsley...two nice transfer guys....Chop ending the game with a Chop move....nice. Clifford other than the horrendous 4th Q throw was very accurate.....Allar did not look scared.....Singleton and Allen super combination....enjoy them, as they may not be here too long. Parker Washington is fun to watch. Punting and Kicking was excellent.....good special teams play.
7) Guys that I was expecting more: Beamon got blown up all night, Lambert Smith 1 great run after catch...rest of the night drops, DDS did not really show up so much....he eventually will but not so much last night. Tough break for Carter getting tossed have heard great things about his tackling and generally his violent play on the field. Other than Tinsley, Washington....receivers did not do much/anything? Play calling at the beginning of the game....how many drives did we go run on first down, run on second down....need to pick up 3rd and 6.....tough to do consistently.

Thought that the game was reffed pretty well and that the announcers were actually pretty good....pretty straight down the middle.

Good first game....on the road......against a team that will be in the thick of playing for the Big Ten Title game.......Purdue's Coach is the perfect coach for them......he gives them with their more limited roster a chance against just about anybody......Charlie Jones against PJP was fun to watch and O'Connor will be cashing paychecks next year that are not NIL checks.
good post-all good takes-btw anyone know why no Theo Johnson at TE?

Didn't you notice the missed tackles on the Strange touchdown catch? How about the crucial missed tackle on Tinsley in the final drive? It isn't a PSU problem exclusively.
About 10 years ago state high school athletic associations started to regulate how many minutes of contact practice teams could have. This is similar at the college level. Simply stated "live" scrimmages and tackling drills are pretty scarce. Coupled with targeting rules, it's all part of the plan for a safer game.
It stands to reason that without regular live practice, tackling skills will suffer.
As you can see in my post I did recognize Purdue's missed tackles. You may make a valid point but I don't remember practice as a chance to practice tackling, it just occurred naturally back in the days. Tackling was honed in the backyards of western PA then, now everything is organized.

Reactions: hlstone
And O'Connell performs better with a cast of lesser talent than Clifford. Clifford continues to make the same mistakes he's been making his entire career as a sixth year player. I believe that he wound not get better if he stayed with the team for another four years. It's time to start getting Allar significant playing time so that he is ready to go later this year and next year.

t Ignore us? That would be an improvement....he actually does the opposite of what we advocate for.......
2) Starting K Lee at RB

CJF is willing to hurt the team to show us that he has more power than we do on this board.
Yeah, can you imagine the HFC thinking he's in charge of the program? :rolleyes:

As you can see in my post I did recognize Purdue's missed tackles. You may make a valid point but I don't remember practice as a chance to practice tackling, it just occurred naturally back in the days. Tackling was honed in the backyards of western PA then, now everything is organized.
Tackling in the back yard....LOL.....that ended about 30 years ago.

Reactions: jbenedict
Ignore us? That would be an improvement....he actually does the opposite of what we advocate for.......
2) Starting K Lee at RB

Exactly. (CJF is jealous that he is not as knowledgeable about football as some on this board [especially the faux posing-PSU fans] and this is the only way he can f with them. He is very vindictive along with all his other shortcomings.).

Exactly. (CJF is jealous that he is not as knowledgeable about football as some on this board [especially the faux posing-PSU fans] and this is the only way he can f with them. He is very vindictive along with all his other shortcomings.).
I have it on good authority that he reads the posts here at a staff meeting every Monday.....then they all laugh and laugh and laugh......then they take a 20 minute break to check their bank account balances.....and then they all smile.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
I have it on good authority that he reads the posts here at a staff meeting every Monday.....then they all laugh and laugh and laugh......then they take a 20 minute break to check their bank account balances.....and then they all smile.
At their own expense. The knowledge that they are disregarding is impressive, concerned that it will come back to bite PSU.

I agree with Klatt and some of the comments here about our running scheme. I thought Yurcich would bring more to the table. Hoping this limited look is just the result of having freshman running backs.

Looking forward to Allar at QB some day. Just hoping that we have a lot more than the RPO. A read option run isn't going to fool anyone, nor should it. Allar brings what he should bring, prolific passing.

Take away the last series in each half and this is your offensive output....

31 rushes for 90 yds, 2.9 avg... 1 TD
15-32 passes for 169 yds, 5.3 avg... 2 TD
63 plays for 259 yds, 4.1 avg... 3 TD’s

That’s not good and a “rinse and repeat” from a yr ago.

take away two touchdown drives from most teams and the stats aren’t going to look as good…

Reactions: ncgolfer
take away two touchdown drives from most teams and the stats aren’t going to look as good…

Exactly, PSU scored on 5 of 14 possessions, if you take away an 82 yard and 80 yard TD from the 5 scoring drives.... the stats will look much worse. Gee, that's really revealing.

Reactions: Online Persona

duhO$U tonight a very good example... they only had 3 scoring drives (all TDs) - take away their 2 best scoring drives, their numbers look significantly worse. Are we to conclude that duhO$U's offense sucks?

The point is get rid of the outliers. Coaches actually do that when they analyze their opponents to better understand what they will do on the average play. This is a proven advanced metric that most coaches believe in. Throw out the big plays because they are mostly the result of mistakes (unless you have players of Barry Sanders, Rocket Ismail or Calvin Johnson on the roster) and quantify the rest. Take out the big plays during the first part of last season and our averages were very much in line with .500 Big Ten teams. The numbers from Thursday are likely more of the same.

1) OL played better.... we ran to the left pretty well at times. Almost all runs were between the tackles....other than a Parker Washington jet sweep.
2) Olu Fashanu #74 was very consistent as was Tengwell and Juice......right guard seemed better and outside of Wallace getting torched 2-3 times even Wallace showed improvement.
3) Nice to see the TEs contribute.....hope the Johnson can come back....perhaps the most talented TE..... Strange missed a block on the Parker Washington play that would have sprung him to the secondary.
4) The aggressive in your face DB play is how the good teams play defense.....watch Georgia, U of Michigan both extremely aggressive....the QBs are too good to play zone and tackle....bump receivers off the route tip the ball....we should/could have had 3 ints.
5) The young runners looked good......the problem with the scheme is that the defense knows most likely where the RB will be 1 second into the play....standing at a standstill next to the QB.....so eveyone is attacking the mesh point......and if your QB is not going to run, you lose your option of pulling the ball back and running.
6) Guys that stood out: JPJ good game....made himself some money, Hardy screwed up on the punt coverage...knocking ball into Endzone (why?), but in defense the guy makes plays...... Chop Robinson, Tinsley...two nice transfer guys....Chop ending the game with a Chop move....nice. Clifford other than the horrendous 4th Q throw was very accurate.....Allar did not look scared.....Singleton and Allen super combination....enjoy them, as they may not be here too long. Parker Washington is fun to watch. Punting and Kicking was excellent.....good special teams play.
7) Guys that I was expecting more: Beamon got blown up all night, Lambert Smith 1 great run after catch...rest of the night drops, DDS did not really show up so much....he eventually will but not so much last night. Tough break for Carter getting tossed have heard great things about his tackling and generally his violent play on the field. Other than Tinsley, Washington....receivers did not do much/anything? Play calling at the beginning of the game....how many drives did we go run on first down, run on second down....need to pick up 3rd and 6.....tough to do consistently.

Thought that the game was reffed pretty well and that the announcers were actually pretty good....pretty straight down the middle.

Good first game....on the road......against a team that will be in the thick of playing for the Big Ten Title game.......Purdue's Coach is the perfect coach for them......he gives them with their more limited roster a chance against just about anybody......Charlie Jones against PJP was fun to watch and O'Connor will be cashing paychecks next year that are not NIL checks.
First of all, kudos to the team for pulling out the win.

Positives:

1. Secondary play looked very solid to great - especially as front 7 kept them on an island for very long periods of time

2. Freshman RBs looked advanced. Need some blocking. With QB run seemingly shelved, will make it that much harder.

3. Special Teams (yes, no FG attempts, so hopefully Pinegar is ready there).

4. Cliffy. Despite his troubles and the horrible interception (why did we not run the ball?), he did a great job to rally the team. Parenthetically, Allar looked much improved from Spring!

5. Tinsley

Negatives:

1. Soft on both OL and D front 7. I am resigned to this. It’s the personality of the coach. So let’s call it finesse. But it ain’t Penn State football and it will never get this team to a playoff. There is simply too much talent that other teams wanted that are not getting a push or being disruptive. So it much be the coaching. How many times have we heard in recruiting: “He has a nasty streak” or “He plays with and edge.” But we have not a single player where this translates? Has to be the coaching.

2. Playmakers on D front 7? I counted exactly 0. How?

3. Linebacker player looked indecisive.

Going to be another long, painful year. 7-6 still looking likely. 9 wins ceiling. Only 6 wins not out of question.

Program still seems stale. Need another approach to breathe some enthusiasm and tenacity into the team. Not sure School has the $ to make that happen. Colossal mistake to commit to 10 years. Sandy should have been fired instantly for even considering.

Reactions: manilion

Positives:

1. Secondary play looked very solid to great - especially as front 7 kept them on an island for very long periods of time

2. Freshman RBs looked advanced. Need some blocking. With QB run seemingly shelved, will make it that much harder.

4. Cliffy. Despite his troubles and the horrible interception (why did we not run the ball?), he did a great job to rally the team. Parenthetically, Allar looked much improved from Spring!

5. Tinsley

Negatives:

1. Soft on both OL and D front 7. I am resigned to this. It’s the personality of the coach. So let’s call it finesse. But it ain’t Penn State football and it will never get this team to a playoff. There is simply too much talent that other teams wanted that are not getting a push or being disruptive. So it much be the coaching. How many times have we heard in recruiting: “He has a nasty streak” or “He plays with and edge.” But we have not a single player where this translates? Has to be the coaching.

Going to be another long, painful year. 7-6 still looking likely. 9 wins ceiling. Only 6 wins not out of question.

Program still seems stale. Need another approach to breathe some enthusiasm and tenacity into the team. Not sure School has the $ to make that happen. Colossal mistake to commit to 10 years. Sandy should have been fired instantly for even considering.
Unless they hire Saban or Meyer, they will get the same results every year, but maybe in a different style, regardless of the coach.

Reactions: marshall23
The point is get rid of the outliers. Coaches actually do that when they analyze their opponents to better understand what they will do on the average play. This is a proven advanced metric that most coaches believe in. Throw out the big plays because they are mostly the result of mistakes (unless you have players of Barry Sanders, Rocket Ismail or Calvin Johnson on the roster) and quantify the rest. Take out the big plays during the first part of last season and our averages were very much in line with .500 Big Ten teams. The numbers from Thursday are likely more of the same.

let’s take out osu’s outliers from last night. The 95 yard td drive and the 70 yard td drive.

On the remaining 7 drives (not including the kneel down at the end of the first and the drive to end the game) they average 30 yards per drive. Punted 5 times, missed a fg and scored 1 TD. World beaters...

Unless they hire Saban or Meyer, they will get the same results every year, but maybe in a different style, regardless of the coach.
I’ll bet O$U thought trouble was on tbe horizon with no Urban? But Eddie Munster has taken it nearly to the next level. I am ready to try something new…seeing us muddle at Purdue’s level is sad - especially when we have the recruiting edge (significant).

Positives:

5. Tinsley

Negatives:

Good post, I think that Chop can become a play maker, perhaps Durant and DDS. Hearing good things about #11 Carter.

still struggling to bring in that elite DT that Alabama, Georgia andrOSU seem to pull every year.

Reactions: MacNit07
I’ll bet O$U thought trouble was on tbe horizon with no Urban? But Eddie Munster has taken it nearly to the next level. I am ready to try something new…seeing us muddle at Purdue’s level is sad - especially when we have the recruiting edge (significant).
Our university is not at the commitment level of Ohio State, so we won’t have their success level.

Our university is not at the commitment level of Ohio State, so we won’t have their success level.
Hoping that the new AD can have a positive effect, he seems at first look to be a significant upgrade for our key programs........

Hoping that the new AD can have a positive effect, he seems at first look to be a significant upgrade for our key programs........
It’s a start, but it’s going to take far more than that. Not to mention the local recruiting ground isn’t as fertile as it used to be. And when you have to go outside of your recruiting ground, you have to compete with the programs who are more committed to winning.

let’s take out osu’s outliers from last night. The 95 yard td drive and the 70 yard td drive.

On the remaining 7 drives (not including the kneel down at the end of the first and the drive to end the game) they average 30 yards per drive. Punted 5 times, missed a fg and scored 1 TD. World beaters...
Coach Wally is an expert on metrics.

Aaron Judge has 53 home runs and his batting average is .299 (482 at bats).
Take away his homers he's hitting .192.:eek:

Reactions: royboy
And WE recruit? Or do the guys we get all moist between the legs about, leave with this staff?

Positives:

5. Tinsley

Negatives:

Sandy didn't have the final say. 10 more years!

True but I expect PSU to tackle better than second tier teams like Purdue.

Sandy didn't have the final say. 10 more years!
Well, whoever cooked that up should have been fired instantly (Sandy is the one that gets the public credit)…10 year commitments to mediocrity from a school that can and does seat 110,000 fans at a home game is an abomination of management.

ADVERTISEMENT