ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Purdue thoughts

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
1) OL played better.... we ran to the left pretty well at times. Almost all runs were between the tackles....other than a Parker Washington jet sweep.
2) Olu Fashanu #74 was very consistent as was Tengwell and Juice......right guard seemed better and outside of Wallace getting torched 2-3 times even Wallace showed improvement.
3) Nice to see the TEs contribute.....hope the Johnson can come back....perhaps the most talented TE..... Strange missed a block on the Parker Washington play that would have sprung him to the secondary.
4) The aggressive in your face DB play is how the good teams play defense.....watch Georgia, U of Michigan both extremely aggressive....the QBs are too good to play zone and tackle....bump receivers off the route tip the ball....we should/could have had 3 ints.
5) The young runners looked good......the problem with the scheme is that the defense knows most likely where the RB will be 1 second into the play....standing at a standstill next to the QB.....so eveyone is attacking the mesh point......and if your QB is not going to run, you lose your option of pulling the ball back and running.
6) Guys that stood out: JPJ good game....made himself some money, Hardy screwed up on the punt coverage...knocking ball into Endzone (why?), but in defense the guy makes plays...... Chop Robinson, Tinsley...two nice transfer guys....Chop ending the game with a Chop move....nice. Clifford other than the horrendous 4th Q throw was very accurate.....Allar did not look scared.....Singleton and Allen super combination....enjoy them, as they may not be here too long. Parker Washington is fun to watch. Punting and Kicking was excellent.....good special teams play.
7) Guys that I was expecting more: Beamon got blown up all night, Lambert Smith 1 great run after catch...rest of the night drops, DDS did not really show up so much....he eventually will but not so much last night. Tough break for Carter getting tossed have heard great things about his tackling and generally his violent play on the field. Other than Tinsley, Washington....receivers did not do much/anything? Play calling at the beginning of the game....how many drives did we go run on first down, run on second down....need to pick up 3rd and 6.....tough to do consistently.

Thought that the game was reffed pretty well and that the announcers were actually pretty good....pretty straight down the middle.

Good first game....on the road......against a team that will be in the thick of playing for the Big Ten Title game.......Purdue's Coach is the perfect coach for them......he gives them with their more limited roster a chance against just about anybody......Charlie Jones against PJP was fun to watch and O'Connor will be cashing paychecks next year that are not NIL checks.

Last edited:
Take away the last series in each half and this is your offensive output....

31 rushes for 90 yds, 2.9 avg... 1 TD
15-32 passes for 169 yds, 5.3 avg... 2 TD
63 plays for 259 yds, 4.1 avg... 3 TD’s

That’s not good and a “rinse and repeat” from a yr ago.

5) The young runners looked good......the problem with the scheme is that the defense knows most likely where the RB will be 1 second into the play....standing at a standstill next to the QB.....so eveyone is attacking the mesh point......and if your QB is not going to run, you lose your option of pulling the ball back and running.
I thought the run blocking was a bit better but I agree that the predictability of the run play calls is frustrating.

Yes, not good, but you have to consider the whole.
It was a win but this team seems like they will struggle to get 9 wins. Still alot of questions @ key positions: MLB, #2 Safety, #3 WR, right side of OL, inconsistent QB play by Clifford.

Next few games hope to see:
--running plays outside the tackles on the edges.
--Allar get more PT. He needs to be given a whole quarter against Ohio and Central Michigan. They also might want to give Veilleux a series in each of those games. Clifford is injury prone and we need game tested back-ups.
--Receivers need to concentrate on catching the ball first.
--DE work in progress? Give them slght pass from Perdue game because O'Connell got the ball out so quickly.
--Need to find answer @ MLB for crossing route coverage.

I see the point you are making, that for large stretches this offense is what it has always been(I disagree, I liked QB under center and I thought there was more commitment to the run game, backs seem better at getting to holes), but you can't take away our two best series of the game as though they don't count.

Take away Purdue's two longest drives than culminated in TD's and give me their stats.

Thats why they play 60 minutes. Take away Cliffords INT. You cant pick or choose series. PSU won as it was a 60 minute game.

Not really fair analysis to take away 2 of the 5 TD drives to assess the offense. Let's take away 2 TD drives from Purdue's offense and analyze them. You take away 40% of any teams TD drives and their numbers will look pedestrian.

1) OL played better.... we ran to the left pretty well at times. Almost all runs were between the tackles....other than a Parker Washington jet sweep.
2) Olu Fashanu #74 was very consistent as was Tengwell and Juice......right guard seemed better and outside of Wallace getting torched 2-3 times even Wallace showed improvement.
3) Nice to see the TEs contribute.....hope the Johnson can come back....perhaps the most talented TE..... Strange missed a block on the Parker Washington play that would have sprung him to the secondary.
4) The aggressive in your face DB play is how the good teams play defense.....watch Georgia, U of Michigan both extremely aggressive....the QBs are too good to play zone and tackle....bump receivers off the route tip the ball....we should/could have had 3 ints.
6) Guys that stood out: JPJ good game....made himself some money, Hardy screwed up on the punt coverage...knocking ball into Endzone (why?), but in defense the guy makes plays...... Chop Robinson, Tinsley...two nice transfer guys....Chop ending the game with a Chop move....nice. Clifford other than the horrendous 4th Q throw was very accurate.....Allar did not look scared.....Singleton and Allen super combination....enjoy them, as they may not be here too long. Parker Washington is fun to watch. Punting and Kicking was excellent.....good special teams play.
7) Guys that I was expecting more: Beamon got blown up all night, Lambert Smith 1 great run after catch...rest of the night drops, DDS did not really show up so much....he eventually will but not so much last night. Tough break for Carter getting tossed have heard great things about his tackling and generally his violent play on the field. Other than Tinsley, Washington....receivers did not do much/anything? Play calling at the beginning of the game....how many drives did we go run on first down, run on second down....need to pick up 3rd and 6.....tough to do consistently.

Thought that the game was reffed pretty well and that the announcers were actually pretty good....pretty straight down the middle.

Good first game....on the road......against a team that will be in the thick of playing for the Big Ten Title game.......Purdue's Coach is the perfect coach for them......he gives them with their more limited roster a chance against just about anybody......Charlie Jones against PJP was fun to watch and O'Connor will be cashing paychecks next year that are not NIL checks.
Good analysis. Disagree on the announcers though. They are over the top on everything, the Cincinnati kid, Chuck sizzle, that final drive being the best you'll see in all of college football, etc. I can do without the disingenuous theatrics. Call the game and don't make up knicknames for every player.

Performing in the clutch or in a time need is more important than the ho-hum game long stats. All averages are brought up by the good plays, if Saquon Barkley wasn't judged by his explosive plays which brought up his averages, he would have been judged as average at best but that's not how this works. Ohio State didn't average 7.8 yard per play in 2021 by running plays that went 7.8 yards each time.

Noticed the in-game changes on the OL, #72 in at RT and #64 at LG. Assume 64 is Nourzad and 72 Effner. Also assuming changes were made for performance issues rather than injury.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Noticed the in-game changes on the OL, #72 in at RT and #64 at LG. Assume 64 is Nourzad and 72 Effner. Also assuming changes were made for performance issues rather than injury

Noticed the in-game changes on the OL, #72 in at RT and #64 at LG. Assume 64 is Nourzad and 72 Effner. Also assuming changes were made for performance issues rather than injury.
Yes, Nourzad and Tangwall were alternating. Wallace was a top rated "OG" coming out of Hun School. Therein may lie the problem; he just doesn't have the feet to play OT. Tengwall played OT his freshman year and appeared to play well.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
Good analysis. Disagree on the announcers though. They are over the top on everything, the Cincinnati kid, Chuck sizzle, that final drive being the best you'll see in all of college football, etc. I can do without the disingenuous theatrics. Call the game and don't make up knicknames for every player.
That's Gus Johnson's schtick. I find it really annoying but many seem to love him and consider him the best announcer in the game. Losing Herbie/Fowler and Blackledge as announcers is one of the drawbacks of the Big 10 not being televised on ESPN/ABC in the future, they are among the best in the biz.

That's Gus Johnson's schtick. I find it really annoying but many seem to love him and consider him the best announcer in the game. Losing Herbie/Fowler and Blackledge as announcers is one of the drawbacks of the Big 10 not being televised on ESPN/ABC in the future, they are among the best in the biz.
I mute and watch the game. I'd rather form my own opinions.

O Man....totally disagree .....Gus "Wow" Johnson and Joel "JK" Klatt are as good as any announcers since Curt Gowdy. I understand your comment....I do not seem to mind their blather as much when we win....it grates on me when we lose.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Did Effner play OT......or was he in as an extra blocker, I only saw the extra blocker position..... Can someone confirm that he came in for Wallace? The guards did rotate with Wormley, Tengwell and Nourzad rotating in for each other........ did see Wormley plant an LB early in the game......

You don't do that though. Those drives happened. Take away the pick six and we win by double digits on the road.

Really good to see the defense buckle down to give Clifford and the O a chance salvage a win. Scraahtchin and Clawin (JF NEPA voice). Secondary looks like the strength of the team D and Purdoodoo has a veteran slinger QB who was gonna put up yards. Auburn is gonna be a test to see how much run D has improved from last year.

Allar, Singleton, Allen, DDS waiting in the wings- Freshmen class is Ivan Oozing with potential.

O Man....totally disagree .....Gus "Wow" Johnson and Joel "JK" Klatt are as good as any announcers since Curt Gowdy. I understand your comment....I do not seem to mind their blather as much when we win....it grates on me when we lose.
Curt Gowdy? Wow is that old school. Curt Gowdy was fine for the 70's but go back and listen to him now and he is a cure for insomnia.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
I trust Diaz already more with the defense, than I ever did with Pry..........

The blitzes were more creative....less easy to see. tighter coverage by corners....... In college football you have to play tight, pass interference is only a 15 yard penalty....where playing soft zone gets you burned over and over and over by good QBS.

DL will eventually become a strength.....Robinson looked good, Durant looked Good. Great to see Mustipher out there. DDS will get there eventually. Hoping to see Isaac get back to his form....looked a little rusty last night.

Beaman looked to small to play DT.

Reactions: Springcity
Like when he says over and over again…”Theee World Famous Ohio State Buckeyes”. That one really grates on me….

The blitzes were more creative....less easy to see. tighter coverage by corners....... In college football you have to play tight, pass interference is only a 15 yard penalty....where playing soft zone gets you burned over and over and over by good QBS.

DL will eventually become a strength.....Robinson looked good, Durant looked Good. Great to see Mustipher out there. DDS will get there eventually. Hoping to see Isaac get back to his form....looked a little rusty last night.

I did not like hiw we were soft early in the game but in the clutch we played well. With Pry we seemed to fold in the clutch. We do need improvement with the D line to get pressure and disrupt things more. That will come I believe.

Like the Fox announcers said at the end of the game “where has this been all game”! Keep the uptempo and stop the looking to sidelines for the entire play clock.

Yeah, call a play and go. Drives me crazy when they're just standing there looking at the sideline then have to hurry up to get the snap off just to run the RB on a counter up the middle for 2 yards.

Reactions: therod
Like the Fox announcers said at the end of the game “where has this been all game”! Keep the uptempo and stop the looking to sidelines for the entire play clock.
Probably my least favorite thing they do. Sometimes you need to make a decision and play fast. Understand when you see a blitz package, but not every snap.

Agreed. What is funny is that whoever is winning is made out to be superstars and the one losing is not discussed other than to say what they should do to win.

They kept complaining about Purdue passing and not milking the clock. But if not for a horribly under thrown long ball and a chop block we may never have gotten the ball back. At the same time, PSU had all their timeouts and, in fact, ended with timeouts in our pocket. Purdue had to get first downs and they weren't going to do that on the ground.

Reactions: tlbakernc

Last I checked the last series in each half counts and the one at the end of the second won the game.

If it hadn't rained almost every day for the last 4 weeks here in central Florida, we would be in a drought.

Agreed. What is funny is that whoever is winning is made out to be superstars and the one losing is not discussed other than to say what they should do to win.

They kept complaining about Purdue passing and not milking the clock. But if not for a horribly under thrown long ball and a chop block we may never have gotten the ball back. At the same time, PSU had all their timeouts and, in fact, ended with timeouts in our pocket. Purdue had to get first downs and they weren't going to do that on the ground.
I like his enthusiasm for the game.

The jury is still out on Diaz, but we need someone to teach our guys to tackle better. Our DBs and LBs were great tacklers back in the day. (Van der Linden)

Did Effner play OT......or was he in as an extra blocker, I only saw the extra blocker position..... Can someone confirm that he came in for Wallace? The guards did rotate with Wormley, Tengwell and Nourzad rotating in for each other........ did see Wormley plant an LB early in the game......

Effner was the sixth OL used in the jumbo package and he also spelled Wallace quite a bit. Particularly on the last drive.

Nourzad spelled Tengwall it seemed more than Wormley.

I'd start Ohio with the OL from the game winning drive.

one of the challenges with a first game, plus one on the road, is you have no film of the opponent, specifically on Charlie Jones. For Iowa last year, he caught only 7 balls in 14 games. The kid started at Buffalo and xfered to Iowa. he was an all-B1G returner for Iowa. So he came out of nowhere for Purdue as a WR. It took time for PSU to respond but they took away the slant in the fourth quarter.

Reactions: lazydave841
The jury is still out on Diaz, but we need someone to teach our guys to tackle better. Our DBs and LBs were great tacklers back in the day. (Van der Linden)
Quite certain they all know how to tackle. Seems the emphasis is on trying to pop the ball free which results in some whiffs and extra yardage. Just my observation and maybe I'm way off the mark but I think they're coached to do this and if it means causing an extra fumble a game, they'll accept the missed tackles; kinda the football version of the strikeout vs home run baseball argument. I think it's a football analytics thing.

The jury is still out on Diaz, but we need someone to teach our guys to tackle better. Our DBs and LBs were great tacklers back in the day. (Van der Lind

Why do you think this continues to be a problem? The problem is glaring as other fan bases have commented. In fairness Purdue had this issue too which resulted in a couple TD's for us.

I thought the run blocking was a bit better but I agree that the predictability of the run play calls is frustrating.
Can't understand why they do not put the RB's in a deeper position and hand off a little deeper. Momentum helps you break arm tackles. We did it a couple time but not nearly as much as RPO hand offs.

Sean Clifford is at best a decent quarterback. I hope Franklin learned a lesson from last year and plays Allar for at least half of next week's game.
Same for the RBs. Everything I have read (and personally saw) from last nights game suggest that the 2 Freshman RBs are better than Lee. Will Franklin continue changing RB every series? Yes, Lee did make a play at the end of the game, but as for their #1 job - running, it was clear that the other two have a better burst through the line.

Same for the RBs. Everything I have read (and personally saw) from last nights game suggest that the 2 Freshman RBs are better than Lee. Will Franklin continue changing RB every series? Yes, Lee did make a play at the end of the game, but as for their #1 job - running, it was clear that the other two have a better burst through the line.
Lee is not fast in spite of coaches saying that he gained speed durning the off season. My bet is that KA ends up being a better back than any of them. Need to make an adjustment or two on the OL and get the ball to RB with a head of steam and the RB game is back, imo. Clifford is not the guy. He has not shown improvement and especially as a 6th year player. Franklin says that the backup QB position is up for grabs each and every week. That's great but that same competition should stand for QB1 and QB2 but I suspect it won't as Franklin has a man crush on SC.

Lee is not fast in spite of coaches saying that he gained speed durning the off season. My bet is that KA ends up being a better back than any of them. Need to make an adjustment or two on the OL and get the ball to RB with a head of steam and the RB game is back, imo. Clifford is not the guy. He has not shown improvement and especially as a 6th year player. Franklin says that the backup QB position is up for grabs each and every week. That's great but that same competition should stand for QB1 and QB2 but I suspect it won't as Franklin has a man crush on SC.
Coach Franklin never plays the best guys. He doesn't want to win as much as we do. He certainly doesn't know football like the posters here do. Between you and me I think the SOB actually ignores us.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT