ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Montana game thread

That's what you saw that game, or would you prefer taking a swipe at Chambers vs. talking about the actual game???

Yes, we are a team who thrives off transition buckets vs. a half-court offense, but there was a decent amount of ball movement today - players making that extra pass and cuts to the hoop
Agreed. The ball movement this season has been better than it's been in any year so far under Chambers. I suspect that can be explained by having the best point guard we've had at Penn State in at least a decade or more.

When Carr was out for the second half, there were certainly times where the team got a little lethargic offensively, but shaped up after Chambers called a timeout. A true freshman got a bunch of minutes tonight in his third career game, and there were times where he didn't run the offense all that crisply - but I don't think that's really anything to be too concerned about.

Reactions: psuguy43
I wonder why wheeler didn’t play more at the end with Carr out and Shep and Bostic banging heads? I also didn’t see Harrar play at all... did I miss him, or didn’t he get any minutes?

I wonder why wheeler didn’t play more at the end with Carr out and Shep and Bostic banging heads? I also didn’t see Harrar play at all... did I miss him, or didn’t he get any minutes?
Wheeler played quite a bit. Bostick was able to come back in immediately, but they rotated Wheeler, Reaves and Bostick until Garner returned with a crooked nose and a bandage. Wheeler and Garner split reps at point guard for the whole second half, unless my eyes deceived me.

I don't think Harrar played - although I think that had more to do with the fact that none of Watkins, Pierce and Moore getting into any real foul trouble. Montana isn't a huge team so we ran the small lineup without any of those three for stretches, and we never built a big enough lead until very late to really empty the bench.

Wow, just kicked off the replay. I don't think I've seen BJC emptier. I know there are a bunch of Chamber apologists on this board, but this program is on life support. Maybe 500 people watching?

Wow, just kicked off the replay. I don't think I've seen BJC emptier. I know there are a bunch of Chamber apologists on this board, but this program is on life support. Maybe 500 people watching?
The lack of attendance reflects poorly upon students and fans, not Chambers. The team has a ton of potential this season and most of the evidence thus far indicates that key players have improved. Shame on the students for not showing up! Shame on local alumni for not showing up! Do they think that their waiting to see whether the team can win without them is somehow what will boost this team grow this program. So many of you fans are so critical of Chambers that I actually believe that you root for the team to lose just to prove yourselves right in not supporting the team. Shame, shame, shame...

The students will turn out, they just aren't facing the TV cameras. If locals don't want to turn out to watch this team, that's a problem with them more than it's a problem with the product. This is a genuine top-50 team, something we haven't had here in quite some time.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It's the deadest arena in the conference. It's dark and quiet like a morgue. There were a few thousand there though, not 500. I can't understand why they don't have the students' section opposit the TV cameras. All you ever see are the folks from the retirement communities who get bussed in. We sell out every ice hockey and wrestling match, but don't draw for basketball. Even our ladies #1 ranked volleyball team only gets about 3500 per match, while Nebraska fills up every match. Maybe it's the BJC venue? I really don't understand it.

The lack of attendance reflects poorly upon students and fans, not Chambers. The team has a ton of potential this season and most of the evidence thus far indicates that key players have improved. Shame on the students for not showing up! Shame on local alumni for not showing up! Do they think that their waiting to see whether the team can win without them is somehow what will boost this team grow this program. So many of you fans are so critical of Chambers that I actually believe that you root for the team to lose just to prove yourselves right in not supporting the team. Shame, shame, shame...

Not that this makes one difference probably in attendance, but these games are played during the week. I used to be a season ticket holder as a student at Penn State and a lot of times, I'd be coming from class. Now they've add the metal detectors and no bags allowed.. What would I be able to do with my backpack (I used to literally just walk in with it, after they peaked inside and saw only textbooks). Guess I wouldn't have been going either.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
In defense of the students:
  1. Some have already left for break (I know my daughter had several classes cancelled)
  2. It is difficult to get into basketball until football season is over (at a football school)
Keep winning and you'll see attendance go up ... especially from January on.

It's the deadest arena in the conference. It's dark and quiet like a morgue. There were a few thousand there though, not 500. I can't understand why they don't have the students' section opposit the TV cameras. All you ever see are the folks from the retirement communities who get bussed in. We sell out every ice hockey and wrestling match, but don't draw for basketball. Even our ladies #1 ranked volleyball team only gets about 3500 per match, while Nebraska fills up every match. Maybe it's the BJC venue? I really don't understand it.
The cameras used to face the student section, up until 2 seasons ago, they changed the direction of the lion logo so that the cameras could face the benches and non-students.

It was a fight to have it changed to have the students on camera... I'm not sure exactly why they changed it back...

Wrestling never has a problem selling out BJC. Win on a regular basis and the seats will be full.

Wrestling is a whole different thing. The crowds are not students but local supporters who live and die wrestling.
As one season ticket holder told me wrestling is country basketball is city.

After watching the game, a couple of observations:

- We obviously have a nice starting 5. Decent height. Good ball handlers. But getting out-rebounded by a smaller team is a concern.
- I was surprised a couple of the players, such as Reeves, do not seemed to have put on much muscle. Stevens is a beast, Bostic needs some more muscle. The team will still get pushed around by the stronger B10 teams.
- Moore, for an upper classman, still has very poor defensive footwork, which is why he is still not much of a shot blocking threat. That's a shame, given his frame.
- Nice to have basically 3 7-footers with Watkins, Moore and Pierce, but will either Moore or Pierce be a backup Center that can hold their own in B10 play..... I don't see it with Moore, and have not seen enough of Pierce yet....

Best team in years. Can't wait till they paste pitt......

After watching the game, a couple of observations:

- We obviously have a nice starting 5. Decent height. Good ball handlers. But getting out-rebounded by a smaller team is a concern.
- I was surprised a couple of the players, such as Reeves, do not seemed to have put on much muscle. Stevens is a beast, Bostic needs some more muscle. The team will still get pushed around by the stronger B10 teams.
- Moore, for an upper classman, still has very poor defensive footwork, which is why he is still not much of a shot blocking threat. That's a shame, given his frame.
- Nice to have basically 3 7-footers with Watkins, Moore and Pierce, but will either Moore or Pierce be a backup Center that can hold their own in B10 play..... I don't see it with Moore, and have not seen enough of Pierce yet....

Best team in years. Can't wait till they paste pitt......
We have a deeper team than just 5. Bostic coming off the bench is a great influx of energy and wheeler, pierce, and Moore (to a much lesser degree) are all going to provide some minutes.

Reeves is basically a shooting guard who lives by his quickness. He doesn't need any more muscle. Bostic is closer to a SF, and he did add muscle in the off season. Carr and Stevens also added muscle.

Moore is athletic enough to contribute a little offensively, but does lack the strength to really defend other Big Ten big men. Pierce seems to be the converse... he is more stout down low, but other than a put back I haven't yet seen any offensive spark from him. Watkins is 6' 9", not 7'.

The rebounding is frustrating as this was supposed to be a point of emphasis going into this season. Rebounding is one of the skills that contributes to both offense and defense and is going to be critical if Penn State is competitive in the Big Ten and hopes to play in the NIT or NCAA at the end of the season.

We have a deeper team than just 5. Bostic coming off the bench is a great influx of energy and wheeler, pierce, and Moore (to a much lesser degree) are all going to provide some minutes.

Reeves is basically a shooting guard who lives by his quickness. He doesn't need any more muscle. Bostic is closer to a SF, and he did add muscle in the off season. Carr and Stevens also added muscle.

Moore is athletic enough to contribute a little offensively, but does lack the strength to really defend other Big Ten big men. Pierce seems to be the converse... he is more stout down low, but other than a put back I haven't yet seen any offensive spark from him. Watkins is 6' 9", not 7'.

The rebounding is frustrating as this was supposed to be a point of emphasis going into this season. Rebounding is one of the skills that contributes to both offense and defense and is going to be critical if Penn State is competitive in the Big Ten and hopes to play in the NIT or NCAA at the end of the season.

Every college player needs muscle. It does not matter what position or skill strengths a player has or is missing. Strength makes a player better. Reeves is a good rebounder, and will be better, and help his team be a better rebounding team, if/when he gets stronger. Stronger players are the ones that get more loose balls. ................

Yes, EVERY player needs to get stronger!

Really like the trajectory of guys like Carr, Stevens, etc.

But at the end of the day I think this team goes as far as Watkins can take them. He is a FORCE in the middle on both ends of the court. He needs to keep his head on straight, stay out of foul trouble and get into better game shape. Seems like he can't go more than 3-4 minutes without needing a break. When he gets tired, he commits dumb fouls.

Not that this makes one difference probably in attendance, but these games are played during the week. I used to be a season ticket holder as a student at Penn State and a lot of times, I'd be coming from class. Now they've add the metal detectors and no bags allowed.. What would I be able to do with my backpack (I used to literally just walk in with it, after they peaked inside and saw only textbooks). Guess I wouldn't have been going either.
When did they add metal detectors? Didn't have them last year.

Wrestling never has a problem selling out BJC. Win on a regular basis and the seats will be full.
If every match was held in the BJC no way would it sell out. One Saturday or Sunday match a year is a lot different than a weeknight match.

Every college player needs muscle. It does not matter what position or skill strengths a player has or is missing. Strength makes a player better. Reeves is a good rebounder, and will be better, and help his team be a better rebounding team, if/when he gets stronger. Stronger players are the ones that get more loose balls. ................

Yes, EVERY player needs to get stronger!
Carr and Bostick each put on 30 lbs this off season... Carr and Lamar grew an inch too.

When did they add metal detectors? Didn't have them last year.

Link

Fans attending men's and women's basketball homes games at the Bryce Jordan Center will have to go through some increased security measures for the 2017-18 season.

On Tuesday, Penn State athletics announced in a press release that metal detectors will be added at all entry points of the BJC. The Intercollegiate Athletics' bag policy will also be enforced.

Can not be in two places at once; we chose to attend the final women's volleyball match.

Link

Fans attending men's and women's basketball homes games at the Bryce Jordan Center will have to go through some increased security measures for the 2017-18 season.

On Tuesday, Penn State athletics announced in a press release that metal detectors will be added at all entry points of the BJC. The Intercollegiate Athletics' bag policy will also be enforced.

And they did a bang up job!
NO, table and/or try to put belongs will going through the scanner.
NO, cover while it was pouring down rain.
Another Barbour screwing up a one ar funeral; bad enough waiting for doors to open, but really froze my (*&(*&( OFF wating for people to go to the scanner before going into BJC.

Reactions: Sharkies

Wow, if Bostick put on 30 he must have been a rail. He has at least 30 to go....
I think it was around 27 lbs to be exact, but yeah, he put on about 30 this off-season. What that tells me is that they are really working on it - give him another off-season and he'll be very solid as a jr. The kid is an athlete.

Reactions: GregInPitt
This team is still not talented enough to predict sure wins.

How’d I know that? Because Penn State is gonna be a Top 6 team in Big Ten this year and PItt was rated dead last in ACC preseason poll. Pitt had an incredible 10-12 year run in Big East but their time has passed. Penn State is in the batters box.

ADVERTISEMENT