ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Michigan game thread

While we're at it, why don't we just reduce the time of the 3rd and 4th quarters to 10 minutes like Delaware State did at Missouri. That'll show everyone how much fight we have. Put on your big boy pants.
It's football. When the other team runs it all over on you like that (323 yards rushing) it is not up to them to turn it off. It is up to you to suck it up and stop them. If games like this don't motivate the coaches and players to be better, then PSU football is sunk.

It's extremely hard to fix roster problems during the season. The LB position was a problem before the season and JF and Pry had to know it. We did not get the LB's we needed either in 2016 or 2015. There really isn't a good reason for this. We had the scholarships to give. If you don't get the five star guy, you get somebody else. Having nobody on the roster because you missed out on the recruit you wanted is not an excuse, especially for a guy getting 4.5 mil a year !

The best part about watching today's game was the whiskey I consumed in the first half. I just now woke up.

Resolved, next week I will start drinking earlier.

Reactions: step.eng69
The most telling thing I saw during the game today was the Aflac Trivia question..."When was the last time Penn State defeated a top 5 team on the road? 1994". Ouch.

Of course...I don't know how many games they've actually played against top 5 teams on the road the last 22 years but that's a long time to go between wins.
I should have know that, but am still surprised too. That is a long time.

What the heck are you talking about???? A good coach tells his KO returners to stand at the goal line and if it's over their heads, either down it or let it go out of the end zone. You get it on the 25 now. Why the crap start out the game like we did with horrible field position because of a stupid penalty????

And you really think that any coach at Penn State hasn't said those very words? In fact, I would say that this concept is ubiquitous and is repeated by every coach and to every returner. But still, there are players every game that try to return it from 5 yards deep in the end zone. There is plenty to complain about, but you can't blame the coaches when a player decides to return a kick or if a player fumbles the ball. The only thing you can complain about is if the coaches don't make the necessary corrections immediately and throughout the rest of the season.

Even Brian Griese said it was a bad call.
If you are going to throw guys out of games for plays like that, you should include the QB and the OC for calling the play and making a throw over the middle into traffic.

Are we back to this again? Thought this got put to bed on page 9.

Reactions: detroitjohn
I also told my wife that Stevens should in the gamw .....l' m wrong, Trace needs the experience since they were still in their first unit. I'll leave it at that.
The game was essentially over. I thought that giving Stevens a taste would be good for his morale and possibly provide a spark in the last six minutes.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Griese is said bad call,unreal

... And he was right. It was a terrible call, and I'm a Michigan fan.

What's frustrating to me is we had two or three overturned against us last season that should've been upheld. I don't understand how we can easily watch the replays we see from our couches, yet the booth guys can't seem to get it right.

Anyhow, hope your team made it out of Ann Arbor in relatively good health.

Thank you for a compassionate post, not fair to the kids on not to have a definitive answer on what is and isn't clearly targeting. We don't punish intent, or do we

... And he was right. It was a terrible call, and I'm a Michigan fan.

What's frustrating to me is we had two or three overturned against us last season that should've been upheld. I don't understand how we can easily watch the replays we see from our couches, yet the booth guys can't seem to get it right.

Anyhow, hope your team made it out of Ann Arbor in relatively good health.

Michigan suffered a similar horrible targeting call last year vs Sparty. And the game was close enough for it to have possibly affected the outcome. Bad calls happen to ALL teams.

Reactions: Bat Masterson
Blue_note said:
You are so right. So let's put it on table.

That call sucked. But if you think it was a difference-maker in the game, bias should be the least of your concerns.

Ahh... how cute. You think I was talking about the targeting penalty. Of course I wasn't. I was talking about the phantom hold to back PSU on the opening kickoff, put them in a hole right off the bat. The phantom offsides 2 years ago on the onsides kick that cost PSU the game. Pretty much every call in 2005 (we don't have all day to list them), the Tony Johnson catch in 2002 that was ruled OOB. Etc.

I started to read this thread, and after 4 or 5 posts, decided against it. The game is over - thank God. The better coached team, with more experienced and talented personnel - won.

Move on.

We need to win back the line of scrimmage. We have a unique situation where Limegrover knows the opponent's OL. If we can effectively pressure Minnesota's running game, that should bode well. Meanwhile, please establish some holes on on our side for Barkley to run through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT