ADVERTISEMENT

PSU MBB vs Northwestern on now on BTN.

I would absolutely do that but I would try to burn 4-5 seconds first.

BTW, I don't why Wheeler was in the game late. He's our worst FT shooter. Of course Harrar, Sessoms, and Jones all missed front ends down the stretch.
The question wasn't about finishing .500 in the league. It was about making the tourney. Do I think we'll make it? Heck no, let's make that clear. However, there will be multiple teams that finish under .500 in the B10 this year that dance. That's a given. 10-12 teams that will be in the running in a 14 team conference... Do the math,.

Especially when tacking an OOC Quad 1 win on the resume.

Iowa and Illi we have no chance against with the matchups. Short of them, we can hold a competitive game with any (like we did, losing by 4 @ UM and in OT @ IU).

If I had to bet, I would bet on 5 wins this conference season (5-13). However, you never know. The middle and bottom tier teams we can compete with.

I would absolutely do that but I would try to burn 4-5 seconds first.

BTW, I don't why Wheeler was in the game late. He's our worst FT shooter. Of course Harrar, Sessoms, and Jones all missed front ends down the stretch.
Agree on wheeler, love him on d, so suspect on o, big 3 at the end though. Definitely should offense/defense sub with him throughout the game.

Reactions: bdgan
If I had to bet, I would bet on 5 wins this conference season (5-13). However, you never know. The middle and bottom tier teams we can compete with.
With our current schedule (well, until Wednesday's Michigan game got cancelled), Pomeroy has us going 7-11. At Iowa is gonna be a nightmare for us, and home against Nebraska needs to be a win. But beyond those two, there are a whole lot of tossups (at Wisconsin will also be pretty tough, but no other game on our schedule that we won't have a decent shot of winning).

I'll be interested to see how the makeup games are handled. We now have 3 to make up (at Nebraska, at Ohio State, and home against Michigan). Ohio State doesn't play again until next Sunday and we don't play until Saturday, so I'm hoping we squeeze that game in later this week so that we're not looking at another 4 games in 7 days type stretch next month.

2 clutch FTs.

PSU did everything they could to lose but they won anyway.

Announcer says PSU is still in the conference race???

I thought that was a bit crazy optimistic, too. They have the talent to win a lot of games....but do the things that cause them to lose a lot of games, especially ones that they need to win.

We should play at Nebraska since both teams had cancellations. Will it happen? Nah. Makes too much sense and its not like the B1G gives a rats ass about PSU & Nebraska.

We should play at Nebraska since both teams had cancellations. Will it happen? Nah. Makes too much sense and its not like the B1G gives a rats ass about PSU & Nebraska.
Nebraska is the reason for their cancellations.

With current adjustments they have seven games before Iowa. Two with Ohio state two with Wisconsin Maryland Nebraska and Michigan State. Not completely unreasonable to think they could get Four wins out of that. That would get them back to 500 before Iowa.

With our current schedule (well, until Wednesday's Michigan game got cancelled), Pomeroy has us going 7-11. At Iowa is gonna be a nightmare for us, and home against Nebraska needs to be a win. But beyond those two, there are a whole lot of tossups (at Wisconsin will also be pretty tough, but no other game on our schedule that we won't have a decent shot of winning).

I'll be interested to see how the makeup games are handled. We now have 3 to make up (at Nebraska, at Ohio State, and home against Michigan). Ohio State doesn't play again until next Sunday and we don't play until Saturday, so I'm hoping we squeeze that game in later this week so that we're not looking at another 4 games in 7 days type stretch next month.
7-11 in this B10 with a Q1 and Q2 win in our OOC and we're dancing, IMO. My only hesitation about that is it could result in hiring Ferry and he is not the long-term solution, IMO.

Reactions: bison13
7-11 in this B10 with a Q1 and Q2 win in our OOC and we're dancing, IMO. My only hesitation about that is it could result in hiring Ferry and he is not the long-term solution, IMO.
I don’t think you have to worry about it.

Reactions: bdgan
Assuming we make up everything and end up at 8-12, it would only put us at 11-13 overall, which I don't think is enough. But 9-11 (12-12 overall), and it gets really interesting. It's one of the reasons that missing the Drexel game hurt, as we really could have used another non-conf win just to make the record look a bit better.

i am worried about quicksand.
uGKt6i.gif

You have somebody better who wants the job?
I sure hope there are! Do you want to talk to other candidates, or just hand him the job and wave the white flag?

Our job is not to interview and scour the potentials... people are paid good money to do that. I never understood when people use that argument

Assuming we make up everything and end up at 8-12, it would only put us at 11-13 overall, which I don't think is enough. But 9-11 (12-12 overall), and it gets really interesting. It's one of the reasons that missing the Drexel game hurt, as we really could have used another non-conf win just to make the record look a bit better.
I wouldn't look at the overall record in that lens this year... there has never been a season like this one before. We played a difficult and short OOC. A losing overall record would not put anyone in during a normal season, but a normal season also has 5+ "creampuff" wins to add to that W/L.

9-11 (12-12 overall) with a Q1 and Q2 win in the short OOC and we are not only a shoe-in, but probably a single-digit seed (maybe #9 or so)

I sure hope there are! Do you want to talk to other candidates, or just hand him the job and wave the white flag?

Our job is not to interview and scour the potentials... people are paid good money to do that. I never understood when people use that argument
I want them to interview Jay Wright and Tony Bennet for the job. I don’t think they would return the phone call though. Ferry was in the running when they hired Pat, so he would be on par with what we could expect.

I want them to interview Jay Wright and Tony Bennet for the job. I don’t think they would return the phone call though. Ferry was in the running when they hired Pat, so he would be on par with what we could expect.
First off, was Ferry really "in the running" in 2011...I don't recall his name ever coming up as a serious candidate.

Even if he was though, Ferry in 2011 is different than Ferry in 2021...he was coming off an NCAA bid after turning things around at Long Island, and didn't have the 60-97 (21-65) stretch at Duquesne on his resume.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
First off, was Ferry really "in the running" in 2011...I don't recall his name ever coming up as a serious candidate.

Even if he was though, Ferry in 2011 is different than Ferry in 2021...he was coming off an NCAA bid after turning things around at Long Island, and didn't have the 60-97 (21-65) stretch at Duquesne on his resume.
There was a rumor that we hired Ferry instead of Chambers. I remember it because I was so upset that I emailed Tim Curley about the mistake.

I would hope that we open up our pockets a bit more than we would back then. The other year when it looked like PC was gone, and then he rolled off that win streak, the rumored money that the department was floating for the next coach was $2 mill... Double that of during the PC hire.

So, no, we should not be beating back around the same quality of coaches. Additionally, Ferry at that time was coming off 2 bids at LIU-Brooklyn. Now, he's coming off stinking it up at Duquesne. His stock is not what it was at that time.

I would hope that we open up our pockets a bit more than we would back then. The other year when it looked like PC was gone, and then he rolled off that win streak, the rumored money that the department was floating for the next coach was $2 mill... Double that of during the PC hire.

So, no, we should not be beating back around the same quality of coaches. Additionally, Ferry at that time was coming off 2 bids at LIU-Brooklyn. Now, he's coming off stinking it up at Duquesne. His stock is not what it was at that time.
If anything, our budget may be lower now than a couple years ago.

Yes, but we can't let a temporary problem lead a longer-term decision
Where is this “we”? If I had my way, i‘d build a new basketball arena and hire jay Wright or Tont Bennet to coach the team. The problem is that the administration looks at the ROI. They make lots of money by having a low budget basketball team. Spending more money is not a guarantee to have more successor make more money. So, it’s likely that Penn State won’t change that paradigm unless some big donor throws money at them.

Where is this “we”? If I had my way, i‘d build a new basketball arena and hire jay Wright or Tont Bennet to coach the team. The problem is that the administration looks at the ROI. They make lots of money by having a low budget basketball team. Spending more money is not a guarantee to have more successor make more money. So, it’s likely that Penn State won’t change that paradigm unless some big donor throws money at them.
I understand the ROI argument, people have been making that for years. But... You seem to be pushing for Ferry, which is not the answer. I hope that anything short of dancing this year X's him. Look for someone that $1-2 mill can get.... Which is a realistic thought

I understand the ROI argument, people have been making that for years. But... You seem to be pushing for Ferry, which is not the answer. I hope that anything short of dancing this year X's him. Look for someone that $1-2 mill can get.... Which is a realistic thought
I’m not pushing Ferry. I hope he does so well that he makes the administration consider him. My preference would be Tony Bennet, but don’t know who in between Ferry and Bennet would be interested.

I’m not pushing Ferry. I hope he does so well that he makes the administration consider him. My preference would be Tony Bennet, but don’t know who in between Ferry and Bennet would be interested.
What would the price tag be to get him to leave UVA for PSU? 10 million/year? 15 million? It’s like talking about Illinois trying to replace Lovie Smith with Bill Belichick.

"President Ryan and Carla were very gracious in what they offered to me as a potential contract, but I have a very good contract," said Bennett, in an article published on UVA's website on Sept. 15. "I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men's basketball], that's my desire."

"I have more than I need," he said. "I'm blessed beyond what I deserve."

What would the price tag be to get him to leave UVA for PSU? 10 million/year? 15 million? It’s like talking about Illinois trying to replace Lovie Smith with Bill Belichick.

"President Ryan and Carla were very gracious in what they offered to me as a potential contract, but I have a very good contract," said Bennett, in an article published on UVA's website on Sept. 15. "I have more than enough, and if there are ways that this can help out the athletic department, the other programs and coaches, by not tying up so much [in men's basketball], that's my desire."

"I have more than I need," he said. "I'm blessed beyond what I deserve."
At what point did I say that Penn State would pay enough or that Bennet would want to come? He was my example of dream coach. Ferry is not exciting, but if we go dancing he will likely be given the job. The point I’m trying to make is who else is a potential candidate?

It'll take more than just dancing for Ferry to get the job long-term. And there are plenty of realistic candidates that fall well between Jim Ferry and Tony Bennett.

We’re the 8th team out in Lunardi’s bracket this morning.

Big stretch here at Ohio St and then home and home with Wisconsin. Need to win at least one of these 3 to hold serve.

At what point did I say that Penn State would pay enough or that Bennet would want to come? He was my example of dream coach. Ferry is not exciting, but if we go dancing he will likely be given the job. The point I’m trying to make is who else is a potential candidate?
I would take Mike Rhodes over Ferry any day at PSU. He's making roughly $1Mill/yr at VCU and has PA roots

I would take Mike Rhodes over Ferry any day at PSU. He's making roughly $1Mill/yr at VCU and has PA roots
Attractive candidate. Last 4 VCU head coaches have moved on to P5 gigs at higher-profile programs than PSU. Wonder how much interest he would have.

It'll take more than just dancing for Ferry to get the job long-term. And there are plenty of realistic candidates that fall well between Jim Ferry and Tony Bennett.
Others have thrown out a name or two... who you got in mind?

Others have thrown out a name or two... who you got in mind?

I'd be looking at guys like Dawkins, Amaker, Scheyer, Fife, Shrewsberry, Autry, Jacobson, Bo Ryan, Beilein, Motta, Langel

Some more attainable than others, but none in a clearly better job today than the head coach at PSU. Some are guys that fit our natural recruiting area, others are guys that you'd want to pair with some guys that can recruit Philly, NYC, DMV, etc.

We were in the first 4 out projection in a bracket released earlier today. Let's do this

ADVERTISEMENT