ADVERTISEMENT

PSU MBB vs Northwestern on now on BTN.

CattyGuy51

Nov 8, 2001
Neither team playing very well. PSU up by 4 at 14.
PSU by 1 at 7 minutes Dread out again.
PSU up by 7 at under 4.
PSU looks tired and understandingly so. 4 games in 7 days. Still up by 1
M Jones with 5 points in the last 30 to lead by 5 at the half.

Last edited:
PSU 38, NW 33

Leading due to good rebounding and good FT shooting. Lead would be higher if not for 12 turnovers.

Many of the turnovers were unforced. Could have had a nice halftime lead, for what that's worth.

Talor Battle's brother Boo regaining his shooting touch, unfortunately.

Many of the turnovers were unforced. Could have had a nice halftime lead, for what that's worth.

Talor Battle's brother Boo regaining his shooting touch, unfortunately.
Boo is a guy that I’d love to see in a PSU jersey for his 5th year some day if he wanted to keep playing.

9 point lead evaporates in 2 minutes.

Chasing the ball and leaving 3 pt shooters wide open. Poor shot selection leading to NW transition baskets. Sloppy passes / turnovers.

NW taking the ball at Harrar. 3 fouls and he goes to the bench. PSU isn't the same without him. Buttrick is getting owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: CattyGuy51
How many times do you see a defended fast break not result in a foul call and PSU just had two in a row.

Reactions: fkkkjm
How many times do you see a defended fast break not result in a foul call and PSU just had two in a row.

Then a foul on PSU under the hoop, foul on the other end again against PSU, then traveling on PSU....all iffy calls against PSU. .....and wheeler makes it go away with a 3-ball

And of course NW nails a three in two seconds...3 point game. Can PSU make foul shots?

All you need to win is not to give a 3 and don't foul. Give 2 and keep the clock moving. Lundy totally lost that guy on the OOB play.

Then a missed front end FT by Sessoms and a dumb almost foul by Jones, then another missed front end FT by Jones.

Last edited:
And NW makes their two FT’s. One point game with 12 seconds left.

Still a team prone to make stupid plays and lack "clutch" down the stretch.

Why am I guessing PSU will make one FT and NW will hit a three for the win?

I wondered about the idea of just fouling NW when they tried to inbound the ball after PSU went up by 3 with 7 seconds left ?

Announcer says PSU is still in the conference race???
I dunno about that but if they can win some more games they very well could end up a tournament team.

Before this game they’re #45 in Kenpom and have played the #2 schedule. I haven’t watched all the games but the only one i think they really got blown out in was the last Illinois game. They’ve been competitive with good teams - Kenpom has them #326 on luck.

Reactions: bison13
2 clutch FTs.

PSU did everything they could to lose but they won anyway.

Announcer says PSU is still in the conference race???
2-5 now... An OT loss away from 3-4... Not too far from 4-3... But also not far from 1-6... Crazy

Like many teams who rely on outside shooting playing at home in the comfort of the backdrop they are used to makes a huge difference.
Need to take care of the ball a little bit better and Lundy needs to get his head on straight on defense as well as Brockington learning to finish something with his right hand but team is in almost every game even against the teams with the big post guys.

I dunno about that but if they can win some more games they very well could end up a tournament team.

Before this game they’re #45 in Kenpom and have played the #2 schedule. I haven’t watched all the games but the only one i think they really got blown out in was the last Illinois game. They’ve been competitive with good teams - Kenpom has them #326 on luck.
The first ILL game we jumped out to a 19-4 lead but got outscored by 30 pts after that. The second game was deja vue all over again. Same for Purdue and Indiana. PSU has been getting beat by 20+ points per game in the paint and another 10 pts per game from the foul line. It's virtually impossible to overcome that with 3 pt shooting.

Rutgers and NW have big men we can handle unless Harrar gets tired or into foul trouble. But we really don't have much of a chance against the more powerful teams.

So no, I don't think PSU has much of a chance to finish .500 in the conference. It's too bad because PSU has some good players but none of them are PFs.

I wondered about the idea of just fouling NW when they tried to inbound the ball after PSU went up by 3 with 7 seconds left ?
I would absolutely do that but I would try to burn 4-5 seconds first.

BTW, I don't why Wheeler was in the game late. He's our worst FT shooter. Of course Harrar, Sessoms, and Jones all missed front ends down the stretch.

The first ILL game we jumped out to a 19-4 lead but got outscored by 30 pts after that. The second game was deja vue all over again. Same for Purdue and Indiana. PSU has been getting beat by 20+ points per game in the paint and another 10 pts per game from the foul line. It's virtually impossible to overcome that with 3 pt shooting.

Rutgers and NW have big men we can handle unless Harrar gets tired or into foul trouble. But we really don't have much of a chance against the more powerful teams.

So no, I don't think PSU has much of a chance to finish .500 in the conference. It's too bad because PSU has some good players but none of them are PFs.
yep. put a mike watkins type player with this group, and they'd be a pretty decent team. we'll never know if one or more of the bigs pat had recruited could have helped had he stayed. maybe talor can get his bro to enter the portal:).

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT