ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Matchup of the Week: B Bartlett vs PJ Ogunsanya

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Beau gutted out a tough win with an impressive rideout vs Crooks over the weekend. Most, myself included, thought he’d win more comfortably, but he gets points for grit. This week he gets a tough, experienced Senior currently ranked 20 by Intermat. Wondering how people see this one going. Does Beau gut out another close one? Does he score more? Does he lose a close one to learn on? Excited to see it.

WE ARE!!!

I think Beau comes up short in this one but am still very bullish on him this season. Give the kid some time to get some experience under his belt. A full year at ANY weight is going to elevate his game to the next level.

He may lose this one but won't lose to Ogunsanya if they meet again in the future.

Thanks for starting this thread @NittanyChris ! We need more like it.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Ogunsaya has lost 2 close decisions to Crooks. Only other shared opponent is Md’s Baxter, that Beau nearly majored in his debut. I think something like 7-3 Beau.

I think Beau comes out a little feisty in this one, but it seems Ogunsanya’s length could be challenging. I’ll say Beau 6-4.

I said this in another thread but Beau is going to have close matches in most of his bouts this year. He's not naturally a 149 (but it definitely looked like he committed to the weights this offseason) and his style isn't a nonstop attack one either. He's going to find ways to win ugly (like the Crooks match) He's going to take some L's to non world beaters as well.

But here's the thing, Cael picked him already to be our 149 (over this board's favorite Van Ness) because he knows the kid has a chance to make a run at NCAAs in a wide open 149 field with a season of preparation (not a 2 week notice to go 149 like last year)

Last edited:
Beau is a little short for 149, by my eyes do not see too small for the weight.

The last match was in no way a measure of relative ability. Beau is not yet comfortable and is being overly cautious like many underclassmen. He has the aresenal to win that last one by a comfortable decision/major once he gains the confidence to open it up a little during an actual match.

When in doubt just take a little stroll back to the Sasso match. Ye of little faith.

I think that will be Cael's instruction in this next match, open it up and abandon any care about winning or losing.

Beau by at least 3 points.

Last edited:
Ogunsanya is a bit more offensive than Crooks, which I think could be go for Bartlett as it presents opportunities for reattacks and go behinds. Give me Bartlett in a close one, 6-4.

Reactions: AndEEss

The last match was in no way a measure of relative ability. Beau is not yet comfortable and is being overly cautious like many underclassmen. He has the aresenal to win that last one by a comfortable decision/major once he gains the confidence to open it up a little during an actual match.

When in doubt just take a little stroll back to the Sasso match. Ye of little faith.

I think that will be Cael's instruction in this next match, open it up and abandon any care about winning or losing.

Every psu wrestler should be required to spend one week alone in the wrestling room with nolf. No breaks no dodgeball no fun just the wrestler and nolf and the lesson that follows

Every psu wrestler should be required to spend one week alone in the wrestling room with nolf. No breaks no dodgeball no fun just the wrestler and nolf and the lesson that follows

I notice you said 'no fun'. 'Rewarding', yes; fun, questionable. I wouldn't want him practicing ball-smashing cradles on me, but he should teach every incoming recruit the wyndixie. Jason is still my favorite all time.

Reactions: PD4thespawn

short compared to who Zain or gorilla hulk??

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
lol 7-3 is not a near major!!
I said Bartlett nearly majored Baxter. That bout was 9-3–and if I recall correctly, Beau was hunting the last takedown late. What I forgot to say is that Ogunsanya beat Baxter 4-2 in SV1.

7-3 is my prediction for Thursday’s matchup.

Last edited:
I said this in another thread but Beau is going to have close matches in most of his bouts this year. He's not naturally a 149 (but it definitely looked like he committed to the weights this offseason) and his style isn't a nonstop attack one either. He's going to find ways to win ugly (like the Crooks match) He's going to take some L's to non world beaters as well.

But here's the thing, Cael picked him already to be our 149 (over this board's favorite Van Ness) because he knows the kid has a chance to make a run at NCAAs in a wide open 149 field with a season of preparation (not a 2 week notice to go 149 like last year)
I don't think that Van Ness was this board's favorite at 149 but more so see Beau as a natural 141 who has a red shirt year available and would have liked to see him for 4 years at that weight when it loses a lot of guys after this year. You made it sound that the board prefers Van Ness as if he is a better wrestler.

I notice you said 'no fun'. 'Rewarding', yes; fun, questionable. I wouldn't want him practicing ball-smashing cradles on me, but he should teach every incoming recruit the wyndixie. Jason is still my favorite all time.
I think he's the most creative wrestler I ever watched. He seemed to learn as he went as well always trying new things during the match. My all time favorite

Reactions: baccafarmer
After a couple of days reflection re: Beau, and hearing all the comments from Willie, Piles, Ben, this board... I see a lot of negative overreaction.

So what has Beau shown?

The good: Technically he looks rock solid in all three positions. His neutral defense is very strong, he is rarely out of position. He has demonstrated that he can ride really well from on top.

The opportunity areas: There is a general consensus he is too small. Granted most 149s are walking around in the high 150s Beau looks ok to me and less small than Mark Hall looked against most openents. Sure there will be a length penalty against some kids but I don't think his size alone keeps him out of an AA conversation come March. His lack of size is being overblown, with it all to easy for pundits to assume a 141 up at 149 is physically overmatched every match.

Getting out from bottom. He has show consistently he can get to his feet which is the most important part. He has some work to do getting out from there, especially making moves durning mat returns. I would love to see him throw in a power switch or a grandbaby roll here or there get creative.

On top he can ride as noted potentially, but he needs a good amount of work on his offense. Once he breaks kids down if he had one or two go to turning combinations it will help him break matches open a little.

From neutral is where his performance this year (or lack thereof) has surprised the most. If you followed his HS career he was much more aggressive, fast on his feet and productive. I know he had the neutral game and believe he simply needs to build confidence to let it fly against stronger talent. He is giving his openents at this level just a bit too much respect, knowing that his neutral defense will carry him through. Ultimately this results in to many close matches which can be lost against more elite kids.

So what does all this mean? My eyes tell me much of the issue is between the two ears and will correct in the next few months.

I remain bullish for Beau to deliver significant points at 149 this season. I think a couple of close losses against top 10-15 guys will help him develop as well.

If he is still winning 1 point matches against top 20-30 guys in January I'll eat my hat.

Willie and Corby did a total 180 on their show today on Bartlett after the Ogunsanya match. Plan to move him to R16 from 6th, which is fine. It's pretty understood 4 to 16 at 149 can go in many order. Their overall tone changed and said now it's a "long shot" for PSU to win this year after what they saw from 149, 157, 165 from us. Iowa deserves to be considered the favorite as they just won and return everyone. I don't mind that position whatsoever.

Kind of funny because Willie said he wasn't concerned about a 1-0 win against Crooks but suddenly a 3-1 SV win over a better opponent is concerning. Beau is small and he's going to be in close matches against any NQ level guy. I think Cael sees a gamer type in him who's going to excel in close tournament matches. Kid finds a way to get his hand raised, I'll take that every time. Keep in mind once again, it's November. Cael doesn't want our guys to be at our best 4 months from the tournament. In fact, I think someone mentioned Cael said something along the lines of "we're in way too good shape" October of 2020 after an NLWC event and he didn't like that.

Cael knows peaking, even in a season that started less than 2 months from NCAAs last year, Cael figured it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT