ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Lehigh Match Thread

Prediction: No meaningful questions or answers in Wednesday's Coaches Show

You can almost guarantee this.

Your earlier point about NN not having a td in his 3 big Ws this season....Im not sure what to make out of that. Especially after watching coon again yesterday against hall. My mind/eye says he is in good position, but my gut says problem. but that gut issue could be this palmagranet beer i was just handed too.

I think that Nick Lee weighing in was a smoke screen move. There is no way that they pull his shirt until after the Scuffle. Until he shows more against ranked competition, it’s questionable that he adds points at the NCAA tournament. Right now he would not rank in the top 12.

I think that Nick Lee weighing in was a smoke screen move. There is no way that they pull his shirt until after the Scuffle. Until he shows more against ranked competition, it’s questionable that he adds points at the NCAA tournament. Right now he would not rank in the top 12.

from an advancement stand point you might be right. But he clearly can and more than likely would score bonus were cortez is challenged to just score. the writing has been on the wall for awhile I think.

Prediction: No meaningful questions or answers in Wednesday's Coaches Show
The Lehigh match is always a good one and this year Lehigh is very good. The fact that the 'cautionary' injuries kept both Keener and Joseph out of this key dual was telling.

Prediction: The earliest we'll see Keener and Joseph is the first dual in January when we enter the heart of the B1G schedule. If we don't see them then, we'll know how very, very coach speak the 'cautionary' injuries to these key wrestlers were.

Completely disagree. He is a point scorer, he's shown us that much. He's dominated Cortez in wrestle offs, reportedly.Also, his loss to Yianni is much more forgiveable after the show Yianni put on at CKLV.

Right now, I'd place him around 8-10, with a chance to improve by March.

I'm pretty convinced that Lee would advance at least one round further than Cortez. If nothing else he'd likely get seeded, where Cortez might not.

That said, if he's only good for 2 more points, is that enough to bother?

I think Lee could do better than that, but where's the cutoff is an interesting question.

Anyway, pretty obvious they're doing everything to prep him to start post-Scuffle without actually burning his shirt. If they could've had him shake Schuyler's hand and then tag in Zain before the whistle, they would've.

I was there, 6 rows off the mat. Major kudos to Bo Pipher for keeping it to a major. That was all heart by Bo P. The Lehigh wrestler kept trying to turn him and he'd either roll thru or twist himself into position to get the reversal.On the first reversal, I thought he could have body locked him for a pin, if he wasn't two weight classes up.

Nice Job Bo Pipher

I'm pretty convinced that Lee would advance at least one round further than Cortez. If nothing else he'd likely get seeded, where Cortez might not.

That said, if he's only good for 2 more points, is that enough to bother?

I think Lee could do better than that, but where's the cutoff is an interesting question.

Anyway, pretty obvious they're doing everything to prep him to start post-Scuffle without actually burning his shirt. If they could've had him shake Schuyler's hand and then tag in Zain before the whistle, they would've.

Nick Lee might get some bonus in 1st round/early consis. Tough to say. He hasn't wrestled a lot of those types. Shoop was one and he demolished him. Upon further review, Shoop is more vulnerable to giving up bonus than most qualifiers.

You can almost guarantee this.

Your earlier point about NN not having a td in his 3 big Ws this season....Im not sure what to make out of that. Especially after watching coon again yesterday against hall. My mind/eye says he is in good position, but my gut says problem. but that gut issue could be this palmagranet beer i was just handed too.
My gut tells me this year he's wrestling like J Rob's biggest ugly secretary.

Which means he won't beat Snyder (duh), will get out-Nelsoned by Coon ... and is probably better than the field but with very little margin.

Then again, Sasquatch is a former freestyle national champ who spent a year at USOTC, and he couldn't score on Nick.

Reactions: lionlover
Nick Lee might get some bonus in 1st round/early consis. Tough to say. He hasn't wrestled a lot of those types. Shoop was one and he demolished him. Upon further review, Shoop is more vulnerable to giving up bonus than most qualifiers.
That's about where I am with him too ... subject to change on Jan 1-2.

Reactions: dunkej01
That's about where I am with him too ... subject to change on Jan 1-2.

I do think 141 is overrated by many. At least outside of Heil and Yianni. If DiCamillo can make a final, Nick Lee can make a consi-semifinal (I think).

I do think 141 is overrated by many. At least outside of Heil and Yianni. If DiCamillo can make a final, Nick Lee can make a consi-semifinal (I think).
I have been reading this thread about Lee. Lee's situation begs the question, what are they saving him for?

-He can compete as we understand at a higher level than Cortez. We don't know what level though but the Yanni match is a gauge. He was active and scored against Yanni.

-Berge, Verk and RBY around his weight. Is he better than any of those guys come next year?

-If he again competes at a good level at Scuffle, why not turn him loose? What could his future plans be in the line up all considering?

Why save him? If he is better than Cortez, every point could be beneficial at nationals.

Last edited:
Reactions: crockster
I was there, 6 rows off the mat. Major kudos to Bo Pipher for keeping it to a major. That was all heart by Bo P. The Lehigh wrestler kept trying to turn him and he'd either roll thru or twist himself into position to get the reversal.On the first reversal, I thought he could have body locked him for a pin, if he wasn't two weight classes up.

Nice Job Bo Pipher
I agree. Said to my buddy if that lehigh kid gets too cute he might just get pinned.

I was at the match. I thought the Lehigh kids took some of the offense away from a couple of Penn State kids, especially the Hall and Nickal matches. The Lehigh kids avoided tie UPS.. I thought Hall could of pointed his kid. His takedown looked pretty easy.

Reactions: lionlover
Nevills has zero takedowns against Hall, Kasper, and Wood. I know he's slow-twitch (like his brothers), so every pound lost will help him.

Oh is that so? I didn't realize you know so much about the Nevills family. You must know someone in Clovis really well.

Reactions: hlstone
Guy sitting behind me at the match was especially happy with the 141 result. Apparently a close family member or coach. Overheard him say that on "our visit" to PSU, Luke was told that there was no $$$ available for him because of Cortez coming in. I know who Karam's dad is, but didn't bother to turn around to see who it was.

Back to 141 for a monent: I thought top had to mat return with legs in or get dinged for stalling.

Twice Cortez stood and I counted past 5 before any attempted return.

Am I missing sonething?

Reminded me of the Gulibon vs Randy Cruz match a few years ago. I wonder if it was the same ref.

Last edited:
Guy sitting behind me at the match was especially happy with the 141 result. Apparently a close family member or coach. Overheard him say that on "our visit" to PSU, Luke was told that there was no $$$ available for him because of Cortez coming in. I know who Karam's dad is, but didn't bother to turn around to see who it was.

but they werent told of the 5 year down the road slush fund to make up the lack of funds....telling

Really...a quick turnaround could have enhanced your story.
That's almost stalling
Sheesh.:)

Reactions: hlstone and Ja1339
I loved the brute force and inflicting his will style in which Zain Retherford wrestles. When he cinched up both arms... I thought he was going to black out the Lehigh wrestler. It was so damn tight... scary... but so damn enjoyable in the same breathe. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
Really...a quick turnaround could have enhanced your story.
That's almost stalling
Sheesh.:)
Yeah, you're right I suppose. To be honest, I really didn't give a crap who it was. PSU had just gone down 15-0. Whoever it was, he split sometime after that match.

Nice Job Bo Pipher
There’s a reason some of us refer to him as “the Legend”....

Reactions: dunkej01
Sorry for having eyes.

Nevills has wrestled his best at around 250 pounds.

And what about his three brothers? Have you watched them enough too so that you can make such sweeping generalizations about the whole family? That was a really crude comment directed towards some good people.

And what about his three brothers? Have you watched them enough too so that you can make such sweeping generalizations about the whole family? That was a really crude comment directed towards some good people.

Maybe not Zach.

Cael surely wouldn't have wanted yet another over-zealous Dad looking over his shoulder. At the time he already had one too many.

I saw it as "practice" in the event he is the guy later. I agree no decision gets implemented before the Scuffle . . .

Last edited:
Lehigh is a good team, but they are certainly no Illinois ;) Was on the road during the match so I didn't get to see anything...just hitting refresh on PBP. Sounds like Cenzo is the only real serious injury so I hope he is ok.

Who knows? Last we heard both Keener and Cenzo were minor bumps and bruises. Heard similar last year with Suriano and we saw how that ended

After Keystone, I recall hearing the 'they'd be going if it was March' line.

I agree Pish. When I hear that now I'm automatically fearing the worst - Cortez and Suriano all over again. :(

Lehigh is roughly 40 miles from Keener's hometown. I'm thinking if he had only bumps and bruises, he would have been wrestling.

Last edited:
If we pull this out after trailing through 8 matches....not only will cael or anyone on staff not jump the scorers table, I doubt they show much emotion

But he'll tell us 15 times an interview how much fun he's having until DT throws a hissy fit and he has to weak arm a chair onto the mat and act like he's upset to protect the diva? Lol

ADVERTISEMENT