ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Lehigh Match Thread

Otoh, wrestlers could choose top against him if bottom is considered a weakness.
Seems unlikely if all they get out of it is RT1. If they choose top and don't ride out the full period, then it's a wasted period.

They could choose bottom and get E1 for same points and still work feet.

Seems unlikely if all they get out of it is RT1. If they choose top and don't ride out the full period, then it's a wasted period.

They could choose bottom and get E1 for same points and still work feet.

That's true. But the point was he can't totally avoid the bottom position by his choice.

Agreed. Risk mgmt, it's low risk and probably low consequence, but not necessarily zero R + zero C.

But if they are worried about Cassar on his feet, they might want to avoid neutral. We'll find out. I could definitely see people choosing top against him.

Can we hear/read it again, please? TIA
my recollection is that Q wasn't feeling all that great and the last drill was to escape (and practice would be over)... Q's partner was Matt Brown and he was still 'under' after his teammates left practice...they then came back to watch and he finally got away from Matt. He had a little more context and flair when he told me but it was 4-5 years ago?

But if they are worried about Cassar on his feet, they might want to avoid neutral. We'll find out. I could definitely see people choosing top against him.

Why? You need to think this through. There may be some limited circumstances where that would occur, but unless his opponent thinks he can turn Cassar there is no benefit to taking top. You give up an escape point and get a riding time point maybe but if you don't ride him the entire period then the net is 2 points gained for Cassar and 1 point for his opponent. What is more likely is for Cassar to take neutral when he has choice, especially if he already has gotten a TD and has the lead.

Why? You need to think this through. There may be some limited circumstances where that would occur, but unless his opponent thinks he can turn Cassar there is no benefit to taking top. You give up an escape point and get a riding time point maybe but if you don't ride him the entire period then the net is 2 points gained for Cassar and 1 point for his opponent. What is more likely is for Cassar to take neutral when he has choice, especially if he already has gotten a TD and has the lead.

I have thought it through. Let's say Cassar has gotten a few takedowns and the opponent none. Cassar takes neutral in period 2 and gets another takedown or two. Cassar is winning something like 8-3 or 8-4 after two periods. Opponent has choice in period 3. Hasn't gotten a takedown so far in the match and knows if he takes down, he will probably be cut and be back on his feet. Do you take down or take a shot at being on top of Cassar? I wouldn't be shocked to see people choose the latter.

I have thought it through. Let's say Cassar has gotten a few takedowns and the opponent none. Cassar takes neutral in period 2 and gets another takedown or two. Cassar is winning something like 8-3 or 8-4 after two periods. Opponent has choice in period 3. Hasn't gotten a takedown so far in the match and knows if he takes down, he will probably be cut and be back on his feet. Do you take down or take a shot at being on top of Cassar? I wouldn't be shocked to see people choose the latter.
A big issue is whether Cassar simply gets ridden by tough riders, or if he can get turned by them. If it's the former, it's not a big deal. I haven't seen Cassar get turned yet. In the absence of getting turned, his opponent taking top isn't necessarily an advantage.

Cassar's bottom game will continue to improve. Who knows what it will look like at tournament time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT