ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Kent State Match Thread

Awesome first dual.

1. Schnupp: Looked much stronger to me than last year. Solid first couple periods then faded. Easy to see why Cael is willing to let this play out.
2. RBY: Wow! Bravo, young man, Bravo. Appears to be the real deal. KSU kid was gassing early.
3. Lee: Aggressive and strong. Increased my confidence that he can do big things this year and go deep at Nationals.
4. Verk: Dang! Went from looking to be in danger to imposing his will in the blink of an eye.
5. Nolf: Has to be bewildering and demoralizing for his opponents to realize Nolf is just probing your capabilities with the first few takedowns to decide how he wants to pin you. Looks like the pre-injury Jason from last year, though I’m sure he’s even better. Scary thought.
6. Joseph: Hungry like a Nolf. Just playing with his food deciding when and how to consume.
7. Hall: Looks razor sharp and motivated. Struggled to avoid the TF before finding the pinning combo he wanted.
8. Shak: Confirms this weight class should be worried about his arrival. Invents and sticks the new Shakradle live on the mat. Last season’s hair issue—SOLVED.
9. Bo: New weight, same funk and devastation.
10. Cassar: Lightening fast for a heavy. Gonna score a LOT of points this year. Won’t be surprised if Nevills never sees the starting spot again

For those with interest, a reminder that former NCCA champ Robles goes for the pull-ups world record of 61 (total in one minute time) at the Jets' halftime game (show) today. The game is currently in the second period now, and the Jets are getting thumped. The fans could likely use a distraction. Hope Robles does it. He's a great person and wonderful representative for the sport of wrestling.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-wrestler-the-philosopher-and-the-amazing-pull-up-chase-1541101897

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20731
Well, did he break the record?

Comparison to Iowa w/o Kemmerer (174), Warner (197) and Stoll (285).

Austin DeSanto (Iowa) over Tim Rooney (Kent State) (Dec 8-7)
Max Murin (Iowa) over Cory Simpson (Kent State) (Fall 4:30)
Pat Lugo (Iowa) over Kody Komara (Kent State) (Fall 2:18)
Kaleb Young (Iowa) over richard Jackson (Kent State) (Fall 4:06)
Alex Marinelli (Iowa) over Isaac Bast (Kent State) (Fall 2:17)
Myles Wilson (Iowa) over Dylan Barreiro (Kent State) (Dec 12-9)
Cash Wilcke (Iowa) over Andrew McNally (Kent State) (MD 18-7)
Connor Corbin (Iowa) over Shane Mast (Kent State) (Dec 8-3)
Aaron Costello (Iowa) over William Bolia (Kent State) (Dec 4-1)

Team Score: 45-0
You missed a match

Spencer Lee (Iowa) over Tomas Guitierrez (Kent State) (TF 16-0 1:18)

You can watch the video of the match here:

https://www.btn2go.com/embed?id=39372

Need to allow Flash (red box to the left of the address bar). You may need to drop your AdBlocker. If ublock origin click on the burgundy shield upper right and then on the big blue icon to take it down for that site.

Reactions: kevin310
Just watched the match again: Nolf had 5 takedowns (4 of them different moves) in 35 seconds: a beautiful right side duck under; a double-leg; a go-behind; an ankle pick; and an ankle pick/single.

That's 1 every 7 seconds (including the release time).

I think he was trying to top Robles 63 pull ups in 60 seconds.

Did anyone else think Shak’s new hairstyle looks a bit like Magua from Last of the Mohicans?
magua3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome first dual.

1. Schnupp: Looked much stronger to me than last year. Solid first couple periods then faded. Easy to see why Cael is willing to let this play out.
2. RBY: Wow! Bravo, young man, Bravo. Appears to be the real deal. KSU kid was gassing early.
3. Lee: Aggressive and strong. Increased my confidence that he can do big things this year and go deep at Nationals.
4. Verk: Dang! Went from looking to be in danger to imposing his will in the blink of an eye.
5. Nolf: Has to be bewildering and demoralizing for his opponents to realize Nolf is just probing your capabilities with the first few takedowns to decide how he wants to pin you. Looks like the pre-injury Jason from last year, though I’m sure he’s even better. Scary thought.
6. Joseph: Hungry like a Nolf. Just playing with his food deciding when and how to consume.
7. Hall: Looks razor sharp and motivated. Struggled to avoid the TF before finding the pinning combo he wanted.
8. Shak: Confirms this weight class should be worried about his arrival. Invents and sticks the new Shakradle live on the mat. Last season’s hair issue—SOLVED.
9. Bo: New weight, same funk and devastation.
10. Cassar: Lightening fast for a heavy. Gonna score a LOT of points this year. Won’t be surprised if Nevills never sees the starting spot again

You totally nailed it, 100% accurate observations. Bravo! ;-)

Just a few additional obsevations

Bravo-Young. first, holy rip he goes from 0 to 60 in a blink. Second, it was cool to watch a kid work a bar and half with the idea of physically cranking his opponent over for a pin instead of looking for a bar and tilt. I also loved watching him step through with his inside leg instead of continously pushing with the outside leg. Impressive.

Nick Lee looked much more muscular.

Joesph looked great at 165 for a 210 pound fat guy.

Hall is a freaking legitimate, cutting some weight big, muscular 174 pounder.

Bo will never look small against anybody at 197.

Cassar is a beast. Pyles is absolutely correct, Cassar is a finalist.

Fun day.

In my opinion you can't learn much from a dual like this. Great to see wrestling back but looking forward to Lehigh and Arizona State after two more "FCS" type dates at the Keystone Classic and then Bucknell.

Suffice it say though that, barring injury, we have a helluva team.

I would think RBY had the toughest guy. Something like 30-13 up a weight class last year. 1 or 2x qualifier.

Not even considering the Desanto result yesterday, because there are always other factors in play, stand alone RBYs performance was the winner. Total dismantling of a strong veteran qualifier by a true freshman. His work on top was ridiculous. Looked like the string bean man next to his opponent and just horsed him.

"WildTurk" will tell you that DeSanto softened him up for RBY the day before :)

As a fan of a program like ours its possible to become numb to how good our team really is. However when you watch other programs around the country, outside of a handful of exceptional guys, Its like you are watching a different sport. Get Teske or Teasdale in at 125 and leave Verk and Raptor where they are and you may be watching the most lethal lineup in wrestling history. I realize Kent State isn't Ohio State, but they put up no resistance.

There are going to be a lot of lopsided matches this year....even against good teams. Add in Teske or Teas and this team has no weaknesses.

Reactions: diggerpup
Enjoyed the match but agree that there is little to gauge by.

Schnupp... God bless his heart but still seeing the same problems, can't hold anyone down and can't get out from bottom. He had 2 takedowns and started on top the 2nd period. After the escape he had 9 seconds riding time total:(

RBY is going to be fun to watch. Thought he was a little too easy to get in on. Had to rely on his wizzer several times. Loved the way he transitioned from move to move.

Verk also going to be fun. Thought he was a little sloppy a couple of times but is good enough to get away with it. Strong

Thought Cassar was impressive but I wonder if he can wrestle that style against big heavies like Stoll or Steveson. Shooting under those guys could get him squashed.

Other's gave exactly what I expected. Can't wait to see them against the top teams so we can get a better idea.

WE'RE BAAAACK!!!!!!

Reactions: diggerpup
There are going to be a lot of lopsided matches this year....even against good teams. Add in Teske or Teas and this team has no weaknesses.
Two years ago Penn State never lost more than 3 individual matches in any dual. Watching today I had a similar thought to yours. Teske or Teasdale 125 and they may not lose more than two matches in any given dual. Maybe one.

Two years ago Penn State never lost more than 3 individual matches in any dual. Watching today I had a similar thought to yours. Teske or Teasdale 125 and they may not lose more than two matches in any given dual. Maybe one.

Love Schnupp's heart, but I can't wait to see Teske or Teasdale in the lineup.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Thought Cassar was impressive but I wonder if he can wrestle that style against big heavies like Stoll or Steveson. Shooting under those guys could get him squashed.
(Insert joke about shots at Stoll's knee.)

Seriously, Cassar looked very good but extrapolating that to results against good heavies ... That guy was Cassar's size and not very good -- 5-5 this year and sub-.500 last year. Only one win in 2 years against a wrestler with a winning record, and that was his 4-3 backup at last week's Clarion Open.

Joey Goodhart next week might be a decent challenge. Otherwise I'll reserve judgment until we see him against Jordan Wood on 12/2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT