ADVERTISEMENT

PSU is young and getting better fast. Made me think about what should return for 2023.

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
Likely losses and impact:

QB Clifford, guessing Allar will be more than capable with additional reps. Does Veilleux portal? If so, is Pribula and Smolik enough depth?

RB Lee, maybe he stays but guessing he may not. RB is strong and deep but depth may be a bit short next year without some unknown addition. London Montgomery getting injured makes the depth more of an issue.

WR Tinsley, he's very good but there is plenty of developing potential to replace his production

TE Strange, not likely that he would hit the draft early but it's possible. Very nice depth here anyway if he does.

OC Scruggs, is his eligibility up? I'm guessing he could be drafted. Is Dawkins ready to step up next year?

OT Effner, great luxury to have a decent fill in with experience. Doubt Wallace is ready to go early but if he's just ready to go then the Effner loss is more consequential. Maybe Shelton or Christ is ready for a bigger role next season?

OG Nourzad, great luxury to have depth here but makes room for Nelson, Loane, or Israel-Achumba to get some reps or maybe even Jven Williams and Alex Birchmeier?

Offense Summary:
Qb may be better but not as deep
Rb should continue to improve but may be short depth
WR should at least hold serve and depth will continue to season
TE may be just more seasoned and just as deep
OL, only starting concern is at OC. The rest of the starters should be back but depth will need to step up.

On Defense:

Guessing the DEs are back with only Isaac as an outside chance of leaving early. Depth will continue to improve.

DTs just lose Mustipher which is a big loss but should hopefully return Izzard who started the bowl game last year. Is Ellies ready to step up? Mulbah at the 1 reasonable depth? The 3 technique should return everyone and just get stronger.

LBs should only lose Sutherland. Guessing that we find a way to have Jacobs and Carter both on the field by then. Depth should get some high end replenishment with Rojas and Robinson coming in.

Secondary will lose Brown and Porter, both outstanding players. But we have some pretty nice options at safety and corner that already have good experience. Wilson or Dixon could step in for Porter. Reed or Wheatley could step in for Brown. They may not be quite as good, but they will still be very solid.

Defensive summary:
DT is deep, just need to see how big of a drop off there is after mustipher and if that 1 tech depth steps up.

DE should continue improving.

LB may be better and with better depth..

Secondary should still be pretty good but maybe not quite as stellar.

Overall, we could be an even stronger team next year.

QB Clifford, guessing Allar will be more than capable with additional reps. Does Veilleux portal? If so, is Pribula and Smolik enough depth?

RB Lee, maybe he stays but guessing he may not. RB is strong and deep but depth may be a bit short next year without some unknown addition. London Montgomery getting injured makes the depth more of an issue.

WR Tinsley, he's very good but there is plenty of developing potential to replace his production

TE Strange, not likely that he would hit the draft early but it's possible. Very nice depth here anyway if he does.

OC Scruggs, is his eligibility up? I'm guessing he could be drafted. Is Dawkins ready to step up next year?

OT Effner, great luxury to have a decent fill in with experience. Doubt Wallace is ready to go early but if he's just ready to go then the Effner loss is more consequential. Maybe Shelton or Christ is ready for a bigger role next season?

OG Nourzad, great luxury to have depth here but makes room for Nelson, Loane, or Israel-Achumba to get some reps or maybe even Jven Williams and Alex Birchmeier?

Offense Summary:
OL, only starting concern is at OC. The rest of the starters should be back but depth will need to step up.

On Defense:

Guessing the DEs are back with only Isaac as an outside chance of leaving early. Depth will continue to improve.

DTs just lose Mustipher which is a big loss but should hopefully return Izzard who started the bowl game last year. Is Ellies ready to step up? Mulbah at the 1 reasonable depth? The 3 technique should return everyone and just get stronger.

LBs should only lose Sutherland. Guessing that we find a way to have Jacobs and Carter both on the field by then. Depth should get some high end replenishment with Rojas and Robinson coming in.

Secondary will lose Brown and Porter, both outstanding players. But we have some pretty nice options at safety and corner that already have good experience. Wilson or Dixon could step in for Porter. Reed or Wheatley could step in for Brown. They may not be quite as good, but they will still be very solid.

Defensive summary:
DT is deep, just need to see how big of a drop off there is after mustipher and if that 1 tech depth steps up.

Thanks for starting the discussion!

At RB without any direct info I'm still believing right now that Ford is a 50/50 to come back. His recent comments indicate that he likes it at PSU and is committed to finishing his career at PSU. If Ford is back then along with Singleton and Allen that would be a great unit. But a 4th RB is a necessity, so with the 2023 commit Montgomery? recently undergoing ACL surgery it seems that either another 2023 class RB or a portal player is a must.
EDIT: Ford is gone, and Montgomery can't be depended upon to be ready for 2023. Need at least 1 more RB, depending on if Lee comes back, from the 2023 class and/or the Portal.

At WR Washington could also opt to the NFL. Probably not a great likelihood as it seems he would have needed a Dotson type last season to get to the top half of the draft and so far he has been good but not splashy. Lots of season for him to build a resume but I'd bet he returns. If he leaves Franklin would likely go to the portal, but if not as you said there seems to be a good many breakout candidates. KLS would be a candidate to be #1 WR in 2023 anyway if he can improve his hands a little, as he has show big time burst after the catch so far this season.
EDIT: Yep, lots of breakout candidate, but so far after 5 games no WR is really doing much of anything to break out. Hype on Wallace, but not much production, KLS not improving much either. Saunders not good enough to burn his redshirt. Would be great to get a big impact WR in the 2023 class that can improve the positions outlook right from the first 2023 game, but that looks unlikely. Not looking up for 2023 as of now, but 7 more games for someone to step up.

Strange is having a great season so far. Either way TE look great for 2023. Johnson's injury could prevent him from flashing enough to try the NFL after this season, but if he comes on strong this season his combination of size and speed and hands might make him a better candidate to move on to the NFL as this is his 3rd year at PSU.
EDIT: Even if Strange leaves, as long as Johnson returns the TE group will be strong in 2023. Dinkins has shown he will be a very good receiving TE - need another 10-15 lbs of muscle and improved blocking from him.

Personally, I'd like to see a young, talented player starting at RT in 2023 (I'd like to see it right now but that looks unlikely...). I'm hoping Shelton continues to impress and starts in 2023 at RT, with Wallace moving inside if he returns. Wallace could replace Nourzad in a 3 player rotation at Guard, or one of the 3 could compete with Dawkins at Center if Scruggs leaves. But there seem to be a good number of young G/C OL players such as Loane as you mentioned that Guard should work out very well in 2023.

DT, lots of candidates with many having lots of playing time to compete to replace Mustipher. But a big loss none the less.
EDIT: Izzard coming back is big for the remainder of this season, and great for next season, as he is the likely replacement for Mustipher. Artis looks huge and will likely get into the rotation at 1 technique in 2023 as well.

DE should be very good with Robinson and DDS getting only better, along with players like Vanover who has looked very good to me so far this season. Especially if both Vilbert and Fisher come back for 2023.
EDIT: Vilbert coming back seems less likely after having to sit the whole 2022 year..... If he comes back he'll make a nice replacement for Tarburton, with the position likely getting stronger with the young guys improving.

At Safety and CB, lots of experience coming back, and some young players getting some experience this season in garbage time. Also some DB's such as Driver and Flowers that don't seem ready this season that will likely be in the hunt for 2023, and a very talented 2023 class of DB's that may yield one or more players ready to contribute from the get go. The DB coaches are doing a great job of recruiting and developing talent.
EDIT: Brown is paying at an all B10 level and will be a big loss at Safety, but with Wheatley, Reed and Winston the postion might actually have a chance to improve in 2023. At CB, losing Porter will be tough to recover from - will need a CB to rise up as a star for the CB unit to keep from experiencing a dropoff.....

At LB Jacobs could opt to go to the NFL after this season, but if he returns the unit most fans looked to as a weakness in 2022 should be a strength in 2023. King should be more settled at Mike or Carter moving there. Jacobs could pretty much play any of the 3 LB positions. And the younger players such as Buddin should be ready to contribute as well. Still not over the top numbers but with all the high DB number defenses used plenty of talent and experience to play at a high level.
EDIT: Jacobs is not paying at a level that would suggest a move to the NFL after this season - good news for 2023. And Carter looks like the next PSU AA LB - even better news for 2023!!

Last edited:

At RB without any direct info I'm still believing right now that Ford is a 50/50 to come back. His recent comments indicate that he likes it at PSU and is committed to finishing his career at PSU. If Ford is back then along with Singleton and Allen that would be a great unit. But a 4th RB is a necessity, so with the 2023 commit Montgomery? recently undergoing ACL surgery it seems that either another 2023 class RB or a portal player is a must.

At WR Washington could also opt to the NFL. Probably not a great likelihood as it seems he would have needed a Dotson type last season to get to the top half of the draft and so far he has been good but not splashy. Lots of season for him to build a resume but I'd bet he returns. If he leaves Franklin would likely go to the portal, but if not as you said there seems to be a good many breakout candidates. KLS would be a candidate to be #1 WR in 2023 anyway if he can improve his hands a little, as he has show big time burst after the catch so far this season.

Strange is having a great season so far. Either way TE look great for 2023. Johnson's injury could prevent him from flashing enough to try the NFL after this season, but if he comes on strong this season his combination of size and speed and hands might make him a better candidate to move on to the NFL as this is his 3rd year at PSU.

Personally, I'd like to see a young, talented player starting at RT in 2023 (I'd like to see it right now but that looks unlikely...). I'm hoping Shelton continues to impress and starts in 2023 at RT, with Wallace moving inside if he returns. Wallace could replace Nourzad in a 3 player rotation at Guard, or one of the 3 could compete with Dawkins at Center if Scruggs leaves. But there seem to be a good number of young G/C OL players such as Loane as you mentioned that Guard should work out very well in 2023.

DT, lots of candidates with many having lots of playing time to compete to replace Mustipher. But a big loss none the less.

DE should be very good with Robinson and DDS getting only better, along with players like Vanover who has looked very good to me so far this season. Especially if both Vilbert and Fisher come back for 2023.

At Safety and CB, lots of experience coming back, and some young players getting some experience this season in garbage time. Also some DB's such as Driver and Flowers that don't seem ready this season that will likely be in the hunt for 2023, and a very talented 2023 class of DB's that may yield one or more players ready to contribute from the get go. The DB coaches are doing a great job of recruiting and developing talent.

At LB Jacobs could opt to go to the NFL after this season, but if he returns the unit most fans looked to as a weakness in 2022 should be a strength in 2023. King should be more settled at Mike or Carter moving there. Jacobs could pretty much play any of the 3 LB positions. And the younger players such as Buddin should be ready to contribute as well. Still not over the top numbers but with all the high DB number defenses used plenty of talent and experience to play at a high level.
Can Jacobs leave? The roster lists him as a true SOPHOMORE. At any rate, I think he's likely back and if he is, maybe he can take Sutherland's spot and King will be ready to take over the middle (with Elsdon as a very nice rotational guy). Maybe Rojas and Robinson round out the 2 deep? That would be a significant jump in our LB athleticism and depth IMO.

A true #1 WR is a real need for this 2023 Team along with a strong run stuffing DT. The rest of the squad is pretty strong.....depth will be needed, but wow at the top of the roster with young RBs, QB, LBs, DEs and DBs we are strong.......

Future looks bright.

Reactions: Online Persona
Can Jacobs leave? The roster lists him as a true SOPHOMORE. At any rate, I think he's likely back and if he is, maybe he can take Sutherland's spot and King will be ready to take over the middle (with Elsdon as a very nice rotational guy). Maybe Rojas and Robinson round out the 2 deep? That would be a significant jump in our LB athleticism and depth IMO.
The PSU Roster I believe takes out the Covid year.

Jacobs and Johnson (TE) were both in the 2020 class.

I believe Jacobs likely will be back as well, but stranger things have happened.

I agree on Rojos as he looks like a pure LB and should play early.

I'm not as conviced that Robinson will be looking for the #11 jersey when he shows up as he has been injured and missed a good many H.S. games and he may take a little longer to excel........

Last edited:
CJ is a Jr w/the covid year avail-he could leave, I'm guessing he needs to close the year big in order for the NFL to recommend he come out this year.

Reactions: indynittany
A true #1 WR is a real need for this 2023 Team along with a strong run stuffing DT. The rest of the squad is pretty strong.....depth will be needed, but wow at the top of the roster with young RBs, QB, LBs, DEs and DBs we are strong.......

Future looks bright.
This for sure...especially if PW leaves early which he could...we would lose PW and Tinsley. That WR room would need an upgrade big time. A game changer DT would be huge and really the one position JF has lacked to bring in at a high level

EDIT: Ford is gone, and Montgomery can't be depended upon to be ready for 2023. Need at least 1 more RB, depending on if Lee comes back, from the 2023 class and/or the Portal.

EDIT: Yep, lots of breakout candidate, but so far after 5 games no WR is really doing much of anything to break out. Hype on Wallace, but not much production, KLS not improving much either. Saunders not good enough to burn his redshirt. Would be great to get a big impact WR in the 2023 class that can improve the positions outlook right from the first 2023 game, but that looks unlikely. Not looking up for 2023 as of now, but 7 more games for someone to step up.

EDIT: Even if Strange leaves, as long as Johnson returns the TE group will be strong in 2023. Dinkins has shown he will be a very good receiving TE - need another 10-15 lbs of muscle and improved blocking from him.

EDIT: Izzard coming back is big for the remainder of this season, and great for next season, as he is the likely replacement for Mustipher. Artis looks huge and will likely get into the rotation at 1 technique in 2023 as well.

EDIT: Vilbert coming back seems less likely after having to sit the whole 2022 year..... If he comes back he'll make a nice replacement for Tarburton, with the position likely getting stronger with the young guys improving.

EDIT: Brown is paying at an all B10 level and will be a big loss at Safety, but with Wheatley, Reed and Winston the postion might actually have a chance to improve in 2023. At CB, losing Porter will be tough to recover from - will need a CB to rise up as a star for the CB unit to keep from experiencing a dropoff.....

EDIT: Jacobs is not paying at a level that would suggest a move to the NFL after this season - good news for 2023. And Carter looks like the next PSU AA LB - even better news for 2023!!
Edits.....

EDIT: Ford is gone, and Montgomery can't be depended upon to be ready for 2023. Need at least 1 more RB, depending on if Lee comes back, from the 2023 class and/or the Portal, and not many uncommitted RB's in the 2023 class at this point - Seider will have to find a diamond in the rough.

Edits.....

EDIT: Ford is gone, and Montgomery can't be depended upon to be ready for 2023. Need at least 1 more RB, depending on if Lee comes back, from the 2023 class and/or the Portal, and not many uncommitted RB's in the 2023 class at this point - Seider will have to find a diamond in the rough.

Did you mean to say Ford, or were you thinking of Lee?

Well Ford is gone and Lee may opt to go as well. The problem is that there are 2 extremely talented freshman (great problem right?) but possibly no depth behind them depending on Lee because I agree Montgomery will not be recovered and ready.

They will need to find a way to add some depth there. Landing a top 10 back or 2 in the '24 class will be a priority.

Offense Summary:

On Defense:

Defensive summary:

Clifford, CV, Lee, Tinsley, Strange, Fashnu, Scruggs, Wallace, and Effner are gone after this yr. on offense. I think Nourzad has another yr. Washington is not going anywhere.

Mustipher, Tarburton, Jacobs, Sutherland, Katshir, Porter, and Brown are gone off defense. Could be a few transfers like Vilbert.

Next yrs team will be challenged on the LOS, again. Not much girth on the DL which is problematic in B1G play. WR is a concern. No size and no HR threat just like this yr. Team hits portal in a big way for several positions.

Last edited:
Well Ford is gone and Lee may opt to go as well. The problem is that there are 2 extremely talented freshman (great problem right?) but possibly no depth behind them depending on Lee because I agree Montgomery will not be recovered and ready.

They will need to find a way to add some depth there. Landing a top 10 back or 2 in the '24 class will be a priority.

Almost positive that we take another RB in the '23 class now. Staff is trying to flip some committed RBs first. Be interested who comes to the White Out and OSU games.

Name to watch otherwise is Chris Johnson, Dillard, south Florida kid. Seider visited him Thursday I think.

If Lee decides to portal (I think he does if his usage remains the same), I believe you have to go into the portal this off season. The only problem there is how do you sell that? You probably end up with a grad transfer type who's only NFL hopes are improving his s&c and putting some special teams film on tape. Or a Cain-type coming off injury.

'24 definitely a 2 RB year, but way too early to guess names here.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Clifford, CV, Lee, Tinsley, Strange, Fashnu, Scruggs, Wallace, and Effner are gone after this yr. on offense. I think Nourzad has another yr. Washington is not going anywhere.

Mustipher, Tarburton, Jacobs, Sutherland, Katshir, Porter, and Brown are gone off defense. Could be a few transfers like Vilbert.

Next yrs team will be challenged on the LOS, again. Not much girth on the DL which is problematic in B1G play. WR is a concern. No size and no HR threat just like this yr. Team hits portal in a big way for several positions.
FASHNU, I think he is only a Sophomore. I think hevreturns for 2023.

Maybe the portal will produce talent in areas of need. We haven't used it much but couldn't help watching Nebraska/Rutgers last night with transfers from LSU, Texas, FL St. and Alabama, just to name a few. Other teams are killing it using the portal.

• Wow
My comment was on Ford being 50/50, which was in my original post made before Ford announced he was quitting the team for this season to focus on accademics..... In the more recent edited comments, after Ford announced, I believe as most do that Lee could choose to transfer as well, which is why it seems that Franklin will need at least 1 additional RB added in the 2023 class or via the Portal, and possibly 2.

Ford announcing after the 4 games played seems to indicate he wanted to save a year of eligibility, leaving the option open for him to transfer after likely getting his PSU degree this year, and then having 2 years to play somewhere else as a grad transfer and then also get a graduate degree at his transfer destination. Ford seems like a bright young man.

Yes, he's graded well but I'm sure would benefit from a year of maturation. Very few OL have maxed their draft opportunity as a sophomore.
Fashanu was also in the 2020 class and is a redshirt sophomore, so he is completing his 3rd year at PSU. The best Olinemen do sometimes go to the NFL after 3 years in college, but with only starting 1 year at PSU (this season) I'm also betting (and hoping) that Fashanu returns to anchor an even better PSU 2023 oline.........

Maybe the portal will produce talent in areas of need. We haven't used it much but couldn't help watching Nebraska/Rutgers last night with transfers from LSU, Texas, FL St. and Alabama, just to name a few. Other teams are killing it using the portal.
Franklin has said that PSU will only use the portal when necessary, not try and make it a practice to bring in lots of portal players. The best, the legit top 15-20 teams, rarely have relied on the portal for talent. It seems only teams that can't recruit the talent needed to field a top 20 team will extensively fill their roster from the transfer portal. MSU last season seemed to get lucky and hit the jackpot with a few portal players, but look at how that worked out for them this season.

Nebraska and Rutgers are bottom feeders in the B10 this season so it's no wonder that game featured some portal additions that looked good, i.e. looked good playing against another B10 bottom feeder team......... And just because they got transfers from Bama, Texas or where ever does not mean they are better than other transfers as the top recruiting teams end up with some players that aren't real good as well. PSU's best transfer arguably was Ebiketie who came from Temple, not Bama, USC, Texas or.........

I'd be surprised if Franklin brings in more than 2 or 3 portal players each year. And with the current roster (yep, things can change quickly in the off season) what positions look like candidates for portal players? RB, but only for players willing to sit on the bench as depth. Maybe Oline for an OT. We might have said LB a month ago, but with Carter looking great and Jacobs likely back, and with Diaz playing lots of 5+ DB alignments, LB now looks very well stocked for 2023. CB, S, DE, DT, Guard, WR, TE, QB all pretty much look well stocked. I'm sure Franklin would take a game breaker at WR if he finds one as any team would.

Last edited:
If Lee decides to portal (I think he does if his usage remains the same), I believe you have to go into the portal this off season. The only problem there is how do you sell that? You probably end up with a grad transfer type who's only NFL hopes are improving his s&c and putting some special teams film on tape. Or a Cain-type coming off injury.

'24 definitely a 2 RB year, but way too early to guess names here.
Or a RB that was only depth at another top 20 team that is sold on getting a PSU MBA or other degree and being depth at PSU as well, knowing that he won't play in the NFL and that he'd rather get a PSU graduate degree and run out on the field for a white out than run wild at Slippery Rock.......

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841

Nebraska has been bad. Historically bad. Frost flipped the roster trying to save his job and failed.

Rutgers is Rutgers. No idea what the leash is there now, but Schiano knows how to win 3-5 games under the Big 10 umbrella. They've won 8 once in '14 and a couple wins is better than 1.

I'm sure there were some good players out there, but watching 2 .500 teams struggle to score 15 points doesn't scream "using the portal proper" to me.

Nebraska has been bad. Historically bad. Frost flipped the roster trying to save his job and failed.

Rutgers is Rutgers. No idea what the leash is there now, but Schiano knows how to win 3-5 games under the Big 10 umbrella. They've won 8 once in '14 and a couple wins is better than 1.

I'm sure there were some good players out there, but watching 2 .500 teams struggle to score 15 points doesn't scream "using the portal proper" to me.
It takes more than a couple of portal transfer to turn around teams like Rutgers/Nebraska. Maybe 17 of them like Mich St pulled last year. The point was they got s few from impressive schools. That list with names like, Bama, Texas, FL St., LSU, and TCU was an eye opener for two schools like that.

It takes more than a couple of portal transfer to turn around teams like Rutgers/Nebraska. Maybe 17 of them like Mich St pulled last year. The point was they got s few from impressive schools. That list with names like, Bama, Texas, FL St., LSU, and TCU was an eye opener for two schools like that.

They got 2nd and 3rd string guys from the big boys. Will likely be the norm going forward. They didn't leave the A teams to go to the B teams because they were studs.

Yes, he's graded well but I'm sure would benefit from a year of maturation. Very few OL have maxed their draft opportunity as a sophomore.
Wow, just saw this mock draft where Fashanu is projected as the #20 overall pick. If that projection continues into the off season PSU may be looking for a new Left OT for 2023........... We better enjoy watching him play this season.

They got 2nd and 3rd string guys from the big boys. Will likely be the norm going forward. They didn't leave the A teams to go to the B teams because they were studs.
I'm well aware of that. Some of those 2nd string guys can help out PSU. Look at the Heisman winner from LSU and the WR from Alabama; both 2nd stringer AA who had to transfer. Both #1 Draft picks making millions.

I'm well aware of that. Some of those 2nd string guys can help out PSU. Look at the Heisman winner from LSU and the WR from Alabama; both 2nd stringer AA who had to transfer. Both #1 Draft picks making millions.

OSU to LSU, OSU to Bama.

I didn't see any 1st rounders out there last night. Did you?

I'm for mining the portal; I don't think you pick up a guy just because he's from a name program.

ADVERTISEMENT