ADVERTISEMENT

PSU is lightyears in front of pre-season expectations - plain & simple. That's a FACT that can't be denied, no matter how hard the posing-trolls try.

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
PSU is on track to go 10-2 and go to a NY6 Bowl. The amount of freshman talent PSU has played, the way they have performed and what PSU has coming back, is actually quite positive for the future. These very same childish, a-hole, posing-troll supposed-fans were claiming that PSU would be lucky to go 7-5 before the season began - but we're now supposed to forget about all that when evaluating how the season has gone relative to their predictions. LMAO.

I agree. At the start of the season, after we lost a bevy of players in the draft, many were predicting 8 - 4 or worse. We are likely to finish 10 - 2, go to a NY6 bowl, and were beating arguably the best team in the country in the 4th quarter. This has been a great season. The team and the coaches deserve a lot of credit. The good news is that we will be even better next year. PSU fans should be happy, proud fans.

I agree. At the start of the season, after we lost a bevy of players in the draft, many were predicting 8 - 4 or worse. We are likely to finish 10 - 2, go to a NY6 bowl, and were beating arguably the best team in the country in the 4th quarter. This has been a great season. The team and the coaches deserve a lot of credit. The good news is that we will be even better next year. PSU fans should be happy, proud fans.

Yea, it's beyond amusing to look at the posing-trolls' predictions before the season to reality. The amount of delusion and continual recasting of expectations tells you what we're dealing with.... ASWP trolls - delusion is their specialty.

PSU is on track to go 10-2 and go to a NY6 Bowl. The amount of freshman talent PSU has played, the way they have performed and what PSU has coming back, is actually quite positive for the future. These very same childish, a-hole, posing-troll supposed-fans were claiming that PSU would be lucky to go 7-5 before the season began - but we're now supposed to forget about all that when evaluating how the season has gone relative to their predictions. LMAO.
Good post but let's be real, you're going to find trolls and a-holes in every fan base. Just the way it is

Yea, it's beyond amusing to look at the posing-trolls' predictions before the season to reality. The amount of delusion and continual recasting of expectations tells you what we're dealing with.... ASWP trolls - delusion is their specialty.
If we would have won yesterday, then the theme on this board would be, "we were good enough to beat Ohio State, then fire Franklin since we tanked against Michigan." If we were undefeated and ranked second behind Georgia, then the theme would be, "We didn't score enough points to be ahead of Georgia. Franklin didn't keep the gas on against weak teams. He should be fired." If we were undefeated and ranked #1, then the theme would be, "Franklin had teams with better players in the past but we never were number 1. He should be fired." Some people just bitch no matter what the situation is.

Check back after MSU game…based on past performance, this team may end up in the Weedeater bowl.

If we would have won yesterday, then the theme on this board would be, "we were good enough to beat Ohio State, then fire Franklin since we tanked against Michigan." If we were undefeated and ranked second behind Georgia, then the theme would be, "We didn't score enough points to be ahead of Georgia. Franklin didn't keep the gas on against weak teams. He should be fired." If we were undefeated and ranked #1, then the theme would be, "Franklin had teams with better players in the past but we never were number 1. He should be fired." Some people just bitch no matter what the situation is.
How about we win meaningful game? Let’s start with a single one. It has been a long time. They used to occur monthly.

This isn't true at all

How about we win meaningful game? Let’s start with a single one. It has been a long time. They used to occur monthly.

No, they didn’t, unless you're really going to act like 25 years ago is recent.

We have beaten osu and Michigan in the same season twice since joining the conference.

Ranked wins by season Joe in the big ten-

2011- 0 (0-4 including bradley coached games)
2010- 0 (0-4)
2009- 1 (1-1, Bowl Win over LSU)
2008- 3 (3-1, Wins over OSU, MSU, Ill)
2007- 1 (1-1, Win over Wisc)
2006- 1 (1-4, Bowl win over Tenn)
2005- 4 (4-0, Wins over FSU, OSU, Wisc, Minn)
2004- 0 (0-4)
2003- 0 (0-4)
2002- 2 (2-3, wins over Neb, Wisc)
2001- 1 (1-3, win over Northwestern)
2000-1 (1-3, win over Purdue)
1999- 5 (5-2, wins over Arizona, Miami, OSU, Purdue, A&M)
1998- 1 (1-3, win of Southern Miss)
1997- 3 (3-2 wins over OSU, Purdue, Wisconsin)
1996- 4 (4-1, Wins over USC, Mich, Northwestern, Texas)
1995- 3 (3-2, wins over Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan, Auburn)
1994- 4 (4-0, wins over USC, Michigan, OSU, Oregon)
1993- 3 (3-2, wins over Indiana, MSU, Tenn)

93-97 was the last time Joe beat multiple ranked opponents in successive seasons. He had more seasons with 0/1 ranked win (10) than he did with multiple (9) after joining the conference.

Since 2011, 2016/2017 is the only time its happened.

Last edited:
PSU won the games where they were favored and lost the games where they weren't. I'd say they're about where we expected.

I think it's too early to say they're on track to finish 10-2. We should be favored in each game but a couple of those are 60/40 games. I'll agree that we exceeded expectations "if" we finish 10-2.

Reactions: john4psu
PSU won the games where they were favored and lost the games where they weren't. I'd say they're about where we expected.

I think it's too early to say they're on track to finish 10-2. We should be favored in each game but a couple of those are 60/40 games. I'll agree that we exceeded expectations "if" we finish 10-2.

Not true at all relative to the prognostications prior to the year starting. PSU was unranked and the many posing-fan trolls on this board were projecting a 5 loss season (with at least 1, and probably 2, coming before we even played scUM).

Chickens/hatched.

Yep, they bitch or they argue over who has the bigger #####.

Not true at all relative to the prognostications prior to the year starting. PSU was unranked and the many posing-fan trolls on this board were projecting a 5 loss season (with at least 1, and probably 2, coming before we even played scUM).
Most people thought we would finish 9-3 or 8-4. Only a small minority predicted 5 losses.

Reactions: psu00
No, they didn’t, unless you're really going to act like 25 years ago is recent.

We have beaten osu and Michigan in the same season twice since joining the conference.

Ranked wins by season Joe in the big ten-

2011- 0 (0-4 including bradley coached games)
2010- 0 (0-4)
2009- 1 (1-1, Bowl Win over LSU)
2008- 3 (3-1, Wins over OSU, MSU, Ill)
2007- 1 (1-1, Win over Wisc)
2006- 1 (1-4, Bowl win over Tenn)
2005- 4 (4-0, Wins over FSU, OSU, Wisc, Minn)
2004- 0 (0-4)
2003- 0 (0-4)
2002- 2 (2-3, wins over Neb, Wisc)
2001- 1 (1-3, win over Northwestern)
2000-1 (1-3, win over Purdue)
1999- 5 (5-2, wins over Arizona, Miami, OSU, Purdue, A&M)
1998- 1 (1-3, win of Southern Miss)
1997- 3 (3-2 wins over OSU, Purdue, Wisconsin)
1996- 4 (4-1, Wins over USC, Mich, Northwestern, Texas)
1995- 3 (3-2, wins over Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan, Auburn)
1994- 4 (4-0, wins over USC, Michigan, OSU, Oregon)
1993- 3 (3-2, wins over Indiana, MSU, Tenn)

93-97 was the last time Joe beat multiple ranked opponents in successive seasons. He had more seasons with 0/1 ranked win (10) than he did with multiple (9) after joining the conference.

Since 2011, 2016/2017 is the only time its happened.
How many times has it happened under Franklin? I was thinking of anytime since Joe took the helm.

No matter the comparison, even end of career Joe was better than Franklin.

How many times has it happened under Franklin? I was thinking of anytime since Joe took the helm.

No matter the comparison, even end of career Joe was better than Franklin.

Your original claim hasn't been true for 25 years (and wasn't for the final 14 seasons of Joe's career.) so way to move the goal posts. Bill Clinton hadn't even been impeached last time Joe did it "monthly".

Your question is answered in the post you quoted. It's happened once. 2016/2017.

You should just start watching this on Saturdays instead. If you don't have a copy, I'll buy it for you.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fac
Blah blah blah. This program is an absolute joke. How many times do you need to watch the same script play out against a legitimate top 10 opponent?

Psu is going nowhere with Franklin. His teams are mentally soft and they never play a complete game when it matters. The second half meltdowns when it matters are more than a trend at this point. It is who Franklin is. All hype no backbone and wilting under the lights.

OSU was 6-7 with an interim coach. I think that was the only time we've played an unranked osu team in the last 20 years.
They've only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s. One was in 1989 - the other was in 2011 as a result of the Tressel stuff.

They've only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s. One was in 1989 - the other was in 2011 as a result of the Tressel stuff.

Not a losing season but they were unranked when we played them in 2001. Which is the only other time we've faced an unranked OSU team since joining the conference.

On that note, we've never been upset by an unranked OSU team since joining. We take care of business against their bad teams lol.

Reactions: WPB_lion
Your original claim hasn't been true for 25 years (and wasn't for the final 14 seasons of Joe's career.) so way to move the goal posts. Bill Clinton hadn't even been impeached last time Joe did it "monthly".

Your question is answered in the post you quoted. It's happened once. 2016/2017.

You should just start watching this on Saturdays instead. If you don't have a copy, I'll buy it for you.

s-l500.jpg
Arguing a Franklin is equivalent to Joe in any era? Laughable. I can find a months of big wins that exceed Franklin’s one win.

BTW, regale me with all of Franklins big road wins? I personally witnessed multiple big game road wins over teams ranked #1.

Franklin can’t even beat Indiana on the road for God’s sake.

Arguing a Franklin is equivalent to Joe in any era? Laughable. I can find a months of big wins that exceed Franklin’s one win.

BTW, regale me with all of Franklins big road wins? I personally witnessed multiple big game road wins over teams ranked #1.

Franklin can’t even beat Indiana on the road for God’s sake.

You're lamenting about 25+ years ago. Glad you saw them beat Notre Dame in 1990, nothing like triumphs over 30 years old. Enjoy living in the past but you really should get Joe's cock out of your mouth, he's been dead over a decade.

You're lamenting about 25+ years ago. Glad you saw them beat Notre Dame in 1990, nothing like triumphs over 30 years old. Enjoy living in the past but you really should get Joe's cock out of your mouth, he's been dead over a decade.
Classy. Always a sign you are horrifically wrong.
Better than pretending the mediocre and still declining present are the good ole’ days.

Classy. Always a sign you are horrifically wrong.
Better than pretending the mediocre and still declining present are the good ole’ days.

What am I horrifically wrong about? Penn State hasn't been a top tier program since at least 1997. I'm not a Franklin apologist. He is probably never winning a national title here and it's unlikely you'll live to see another.

Keep longing for the good ole' days which haven't existed in over a quarter century and acting like the current coach is the one who ended them.

Last edited:
Most people thought we would finish 9-3 or 8-4. Only a small minority predicted 5 losses.
True. There were also some predicting 10-2 but from what I recall most were saying 9-3 or 8-4.

What am I horrifically wrong about? Penn State hasn't been a top tier program since at least 1997. I'm not a Franklin apologist. He is probably never winning a national title here and it's unlikely you'll live to see another.

Keep longing for the good ole' days haven't existed over a quarter of a century ago and acting like the current coach is the one who ended them.
Penn State has everything needed to compete at a higher level. Even in the twilight of Joe’s career, he exceeded Franklin’s record.

And during the mijoriry of Joe’s career he exceeded Franklin accomplishments many many times over - often monthly. And just about every other coach. Look at his bowl record. He is all-time winningest coach.

I am not expecting a return to the level of one of College Football’s top teams from 1950 -2000. That is a long period of uninterrupted excellence.

But how about a couple of hard-nosed wins every 4/5 years? How about a decent road win? Let’s start with one?

Again, 4th grade vulgarity must cover for something.

Penn State has everything needed to compete at a higher level. Even in the twilight of Joe’s career, he exceeded Franklin’s record.

And during the mijoriry of Joe’s career he exceeded Franklin accomplishments many many times over - often monthly. And just about every other coach. Look at his bowl record. He is all-time winningest coach.

I am not expecting a return to the level of one of College Football’s top teams from 1950 -2000. That is a long period of uninterrupted excellence.

But how about a couple of hard-nosed wins every 4/5 years? How about a decent road win? Let’s start with one?

Again, 4th grade vulgarity must cover for something.

Yet you can't find what it's covering for because you can't follow along because you're stuck acting like monthly ranked wins were happening right up until Franklin's arrival.

Actually in the twilight of his career Joe=James. Identical records. Franklin is 73-36 at PSU. Joe's record in his last 109 games was actually 73-36 (Starting with the Loss to BC in 2003 and ending in 2011 with the win over Illinois). And Joe never had to deal with scholarship restrictions over that time period. I get it James ****ing sucks. 73-36 is garbage. Except when Joe did it.

Reactions: okinburg1
Yet you can't find what it's covering for because you can't follow along because you're stuck acting like monthly ranked wins were happening right up until Franklin's arrival.

Actually in the twilight of his career Joe=James. Identical records. Franklin is 73-36 at PSU. Joe's record in his last 109 games was actually 73-36 (Starting with the Loss to BC in 2003 and ending in 2011 with the win over Illinois). And Joe never had to deal with scholarship restrictions over that time period. I get it James ****ing sucks. 73-36 is garbage. Except when Joe did it.
Never said Franklin sucked. Or said that monthly ranked wins happen up to 2011

Just that Franklin is underachieving - big time. And he has everything he needs to succeed. But he is not up to the job. Not because if 1 game or one year but 9 years of mediocrity at Penn State. And trending down.

Joe’s unprecedented success bought him some grace has he declined. But at that, he was doing better than Franklin. And keep in mind, Joe was retiring at the end of 2011.

Never said Franklin sucked. Or said that monthly ranked wins happen up to 2011

Just that Franklin is underachieving - big time. And he has everything he needs to succeed. But he is not up to the job. Not because if 1 game or one year but 9 years of mediocrity at Penn State. And trending down.

Joe’s unprecedented success bought him some grace has he declined. But at that, he was doing better than Franklin. And keep in mind, Joe was retiring at the end of 2011.

If the last 9 years (.670 win %) have been mediocrity, I hope you're willing to concede the preceding 17 years (.648 win %) were as well.

It's been a mediocre program for a long time. Long before Franklin arrived.

Reactions: PearlandLion
Not really, we expected them to get trounced by one of the big two. And then like normal our 6 year QB gave the game to OSU. Pretty much exactly what was expected. If everyone knew how bad Auburn would be no one would have put us anywhere by 6-2 right now. They've done EXACTLY what was expected. Let's not forget the 1st half struggle with Directional Michigan in the first half and then the quagmire against NW. This team unfortunately is who we thought they were. And the coaching right there with it. Yes there is some amazing young talent. Problem is does the coaching staff know how to use it? Based on the OSU drive to take the lead I'm guessing not.

I think folks forget the mediocrity mixed in with the great seasons of years past. I think the greatest PSU football decade was probably the 80s (two national championships and played for a 3rd). The team won 8 or fewer games five times in the 80s.

I think folks forget the mediocrity mixed in with the great seasons of years past. I think the greatest PSU football decade was probably the 80s (two national championships and played for a 3rd). The team won 8 or fewer games five times in the 80s.
Yep, I was there and vividly remember the mid to late 80s. And, the horrible offenses that came along!

Revisionist history. Folks get caught up in the PSU run of the late 70’s- mid 80’s and choose to forget about the garbage we had to watch from 1988-1993 and again in the 2000’s. Joe had PSU playing like modern day Iowa (one good season in four) complete with a son in over his head manning the offensive controls. And for those stating that Franklin has all he needs to win at a high level, I encourage you to take a few trips around the country to see what others have done. PSU is easily 2nd-3rd tier in facilities, training, NIL, etc. It’ll take years and a new wave of youthful donors to get PSU in that conversation. Half of the Big XXII has it better than PSU. It is what it is and I’ve come to accept 10-2 with a decent bowl as the current ceiling. I’m optimistic but I’m also a realist.

Uh, whole lot of you are assuming PSU wins out... big assumption. I'd say the most likely scenario is losing to either Indiana or MSU and finishing 9-3. Then equal odds of finishing 10-2 or 8-4.

Reactions: MacNit07
Yes. You take what all believe to be something like an 8-4, 7-5 team and you add in some outstanding freshmen and expectations immediately change. That's ok until higher expectations evolve into irrational exuberance. Once that exuberance is shattered, the blame game begins.(some of it justified)

Franklin's run from 2016-19 was as good as any PSU run except for the late 60s/early 70s and obviously 82-86

however it is the last two seasons that are making people question him

we went backwards after his good run, significantly

and if the team finishes 10-2, still moving backwards?

Would you say the difference is that PSU is slightly better then expected, but the schedule is a good bit weaker than expected?

In hindsight, the current wins aren't that impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT