ADVERTISEMENT

PSU is about to lose a legend

psuguy43

Sep 28, 2002
He was the starting RG for Rip Engle during Joe Paterno's first year as an assistant. He is regularly the oldest letterman at functions. He played in the Blue-Gray All Star game as a senior. He began the Penn State tradition in my family, trickling down to myself, brother, and sister being 3rd-generation PSU graduates.

He was a season ticket holder and faithfully attended every game, refusing to ever leave before 00:00 showed on the clock, regardless of score or weather.

He taped and studied every game, as he breathed Penn State football. He was a member and frequent reader of this very forum

He is 91.5 years old and is nearing the end in the next hours or days. He had a relationship with Joe Paterno up to the end.

His name is on a brick in the BJC and team photo is hanging in the Letterman's Lounge at Beaver Stadium. He wore #63.

The man is the reason I love PSU and attended. He is the definition of the Penn State family. His legacy will always live on in my family, down through the 4th, 5th, and 6th generation alums.

Penn State football player, Navy sailor, and fraternity brother. A father, grandfather, and great-grandfather.

Penn State football family, we are about to lose a legend

He was the starting RG for Rip Engle during Joe Paterno's first year as an assistant. He is regularly the oldest letterman at functions. He played in the Blue-Gray All Star game as a senior. He began the Penn State tradition in my family, trickling down to myself, brother, and sister being 3rd-generation PSU graduates.

He was a season ticket holder and faithfully attended every game, refusing to ever leave before 00:00 showed on the clock, regardless of score or weather.

He taped and studied every game, as he breathed Penn State football. He was a member and frequent reader of this very forum

He is 91.5 years old and is nearing the end in the next hours or days. He had a relationship with Joe Paterno up to the end.

His name is on a brick in the BJC and team photo is hanging in the Letterman's Lounge at Beaver Stadium. He wore #63.

The man is the reason I love PSU and attended. He is the definition of the Penn State family. His legacy will always live on in my family, down through the 4th, 5th, and 6th generation alums.

Penn State football player, Navy sailor, and fraternity brother. A father, grandfather, and great-grandfather.

Heaven is about to gain a saint. Godspeed....

That is a very beautiful testimony. Now it's time to treasure what you've had that many perhaps most of us have not. Those 91.5 years of love, guidance and the counsel of those years. I envy you. It will be hard to let go but his impact on your lives will linger far after he is gone. May god bless all of you.

Sorry to hear this May he RIP

A man like that deserves to be honored and remembered well. You just made sure that he will get what he deserves. My best to those that knew and loved him as they grieve his passing.

It appears, from your account, that he will face the end looking back on a life well lived, a life that made a difference, a life that will serve as a model for those who follow. No man can ask for more. May God grant him eternal rest and your family comfort in your sorrow.

Last edited:

Man does your post make me yearn for the "good old days". I can identify with so many of the things that you posted. Unfortunately, a lot of us are getting closer to the end. My Dad passed away a couple of years ago at about the same age. May God Bless your Dad, you, and your entire family. You are all in my prayers. God Bless.

A lovely tribute to a life well lived. May all of his moments shared with you and your family remain eternal in your hearts, minds, and souls, and may he find everlasting peace in the comfort of God’s Grace. My deepest sympathies to you and yours.

Wow very well said and wish you and your family all the best

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like he left a legacy for your family, friends and anyone who was fortunate enough to meet him, to live up too. May God bless and comfort you and your family through this time.
Here is a great story in relation to his dedication and commitment, from a person who had a different relationship with him:

"When I was growing up I had a friend who's Dad, as a child, used to watch Uncle Bud (my grandfather) practice his football steps on Ely Field in Lambertville during his breaks from Penn State. He was so impressed by this that he shared it with me as a lesson on life and commitment, not knowing it was my Uncle Bud. When I told her father he was my Uncle Bud he was speechless and in disbelief that I was related to this individual that was so dedicated to his precision and cause. In other words your Grandfather, my Uncle Bud, was a symbol of perfection and dedication."

My condolences, psuguy43. Make our gracious Lord welcome your grandfather into paradise.
May he also wrap his comforting arms around you and your family during this trying time.
Certainly a life well lived and one to be cherished. I was there during the Rip Engle years, based on age, this legend might have preceded me by a few years. Keep the happy memories alive.

My shrine I just made for him, overlooking the TV, so we can still watch games together:

Photo

Top middle photo: team photo of the 1950 team in Beaver Stadium

On the mantle: Letterman's hat, 1950 Blue-Gray All-Star game football, individual photo of him in uniform, in a 3-point stance

Last edited:
My shrine I just made for him, overlooking the TV, so we can still watch games together:

Photo

On the mantle: Letterman's hat, 1950 Blue-Gray All-Star game football, individual photo of him in uniform, in a 3-point stance
Beautiful.

Peace be with you and your family.

Reactions: step.eng69

Photo

Nice. Number 63 left a legacy that your family will cherish for a long time.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT