ADVERTISEMENT

PSU in Vegas

Shelley Reynolds, Red's mother, has informed me of her sons intentions to be a Nittany Lion

Great news, if it comes to fruition.

More than most recruits that we've speculated about, discussed, etc. over the years, there has been a lot of smoke regarding Red and PSU. Speaking strictly as a fan, with no inside info of Red's thinking or PSU's discussions with him, I've thought for some time that PSU was the clear favorite for Red. If jschrantz's info is accurate (and he's never exhibited any tendencies to post speculation as fact), I'd say it's not a huge surprise.

The other lightweights about whom we've discussed have been far less revealing concerning their intentions. These include, in random order:

1. Spencer Lee -- just finishing his sophomore year, and his family and he have been pretty quiet about their plans
2. Nick Suriano - just finishing his junior year, and also rather quiet about his plans. I suspect he'll be getting a lot of visits from coaches in July
3. Daton Fix - only recently been discussed, and while I haven't seen a lot from his family or him, I would be surprised if Okla. St. is not the leader (he says in a video after the US Open, posted on Flo, that he isn't really thinking about colleges right now)
4. Taylor Lamont - been discussed a lot, but not any info from his family or him, plus speculation about his taking a church mission
5. Luke Pletcher - also been discussed a good bit, but no inkling of his thoughts from his family or from him
6. "Mickey" Phillippi - another one that has been mentioned, but no real info

And the above names are only ones that we've discussed. We have no idea which names the coaching staff has discussed.

That's great news. But my question is, why are you hanging out with his mother?

LOL. My guess would be simply being at a tournament. I've had 100s of conversations with the parents of high school athletes over the years about their kid's college thoughts, plans, hopes, etc. (most with the request that the conversation stay private), at meets, games, matches, etc. (depends on the respective sport).

Can we define "intentions"? We've known for a while that his goal is to wrestle at PSU for Cael. Is she merely reiterating that goal, or saying something more substantive?

Had some back and forth email conversation about redcobrawrestling as I've meet them at a clinic, I asked playfullly abuts mmlklm
Great news, if it comes to fruition.

More than most recruits that we've speculated about, discussed, etc. over the years, there has been a lot of smoke regarding Red and PSU. Speaking strictly as a fan, with no inside info of Red's thinking of PSU's discussions with him, I've thought for some time that PSU was the clear favorite for Red. If jschrantz's info is accurate (and he's never exhibited any tendencies to post speculation as fact), I'd say it's not a huge surprise.

The other lightweights about whom we've discussed have been far less revealing concerning their intentions. These include, in random order:

1. Spencer Lee -- just finishing his sophomore year, and his family and he have been pretty quiet about their plans
2. Nick Suriano - just finishing his junior year, and also rather quiet about his plans. I suspect he'll be getting a lot of visits from coaches in July
3. Daton Fix - only recently been discussed, and while I haven't seen a lot from his family or him, I would be surprised if Okla. St. is not the leader
4. Taylor Lamont - been discussed a lot, but not any info from his family or him, plus speculation about his taking a church mission
5. Luke Pletcher - also been discussed a good bit, but no inkling of his thoughts from his family or from him
6. "Mickey" Phillippi - another one that has been mentioned, but no real info

And the above names are only ones that we've discussed. We have no idea which names the coaching staff has discussed.

LOL. My guess would be simply being at a tournament. I've had 100s of conversations with the parents of high school parents over the years about their kid's college thoughts, plans, hopes, etc. (most with the request that the conversation stay private), at meets, games, matches, etc. (depends on the respective sport).[/QUOT

Had some back and forth email conversation about redcobrawrestling as I've meet them at a clinic, I asked about Psu and she replied to me it was his intention to be a Nittany Lion, this was about a month and a half ago. There was no indication to keep this private and I know it's no guarantee, just saying

Reactions: dnit
Cassar Wins the championship! 8-3

Retherford and Nolf finish second, looked good on their feet, but Pico and Hall just have too much experience in FS. Nolf was really hurt by match stoppages; Hall looked tired. Without the stoppages, Nolf might have been able to wear Hall down. I'd still take Retherford and Nolf over the other two in folkstyle any day.

Sorry man. I love Retherford, but Pico is on another level.

Sorry man. I love Retherford, but Pico is on another level.

Understand where you are coming from, and in freestyle Pico has proven to be at a higher level.

In folkstyle, when Pico was last seen competing he wasn't at a level that Retherford had reached. I highly doubt he has trained one bit in folk the last few years.

The point is moot as it would never happen, but if they were to meet in folkstyle right now, I'd have to favor Retherford. The styles ARE different, no matter how many like to dismiss the differences.

I have seen many examples of kids getting pounded in freestyle and then returning the favor in folkstyle even at the highest levels.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Understand where you are coming from, and in freestyle Pico has proven to be at a higher level.

In folkstyle, when Pico was last seen competing he wasn't at a level that Retherford had reached. I highly doubt he has trained one bit in folk the last few years.

The point is moot as it would never happen, but if they were to meet in folkstyle right now, I'd have to favor Retherford. The styles ARE different, no matter how many like to dismiss the differences.

I have seen many examples of kids getting pounded in freestyle and then returning the favor in folkstyle even at the highest levels.
The styles are different but unless Retherford was able to turn him or garner some stall points, Pico would only need 2 more tds than Zain to win the match. I wouldn't bet against him getting them and I wouldn't bet on him being turned.

The styles are different but unless Retherford was able to turn him or garner some stall points, Pico would only need 2 more tds than Zain to win the match. I wouldn't bet against him getting them and I wouldn't bet on him being turned.

I wouldn't count on Zain getting a turn either. I wouldn't be surprised at him getting a ride out and I would favor him to get a RT point, so, yes I think Pico needs 2 more TDs than Zain to win the match. No push out, if Zain gets out of 1st period only 1 TD down, I would lay my money on Zain.

It is an interesting debate, and I can certainly see Pico winning also. The crux of my point is that it's a more complicated comparison between styles than most people take into account. Even between free and folk, which I feel a lot of people just chalk up to being very similar wrestling. Yes, when there is a talent edge the style differences don't come into play. But a lot of times when you get two elite guys matching up, results can be very different between styles due to a number of factors. I also think that I'm probably correct in thinking that Pico has done zero work in folk over the past couple years and probably would not be quite as comfortable as he could be in certain folk positions. Not that it makes him any less of a talent.

:):)
Is Penn State located in the Midwest? I'm afraid my geography isn't the best.
Some say it does, some don't. I'm in the latter category. Central Pa is way different than the Philadelphia area where I'm from, however. For example, our local schools don't have massive absenteeism on the first day of Deer Season.:)

That said, we need to restock our lightweights in the next few years - I'd gladly trade off a Hall for Spencer Lee at this juncture if we're talking super recruits.

Geography hasn't been much of an obstacle for Hall, ever.
Jefe - have you seen the thread on TheMat about Suriano? Interesting logic about how our lineup openings are not a plus to interested lightweights.

I know some of it is tongue and cheek, but you can sense the desperation as Cael recruits this year with a lot of schollie $ available.

As for Hall, among his stated favorites, Minnesota is dealt the most crushing blow if he goes elsewhere in my opinion. I'm not saying this to tweak Jammen - it's the truth. There's a recruiting arms race going on among about 4 schools, and you better not be left behind.

I'm trying to cut back on trips to the dumpster fire. But to think those lineup openings are somehow a negative is just rationalization. Suriano would still have strong workout partners with Gulibon and Zain on the roster; possibly Red and/or Pletcher on the roster; and Nico, Gomez, McKnight, and Contos all in the NLWC.

I mostly agree on Hall's importance to the the Goofers. "Mostly" because as-is the Goofers' cabinet is a lot fuller than Edinboro's ever has been, but that's not holding Tim Flynn back.

I'd also push the arms race 6 schools now: PSU, Iowa, Okie State, Sparky, Tanning Bed U., and the Goofers -- with Koll and Dresser knocking at the door and Michigan looking to make a push soon.

Jefe - have you seen the thread on TheMat about Suriano? Interesting logic about how our lineup openings are not a plus to interested lightweights.

I know some of it is tongue and cheek, but you can sense the desperation as Cael recruits this year with a lot of schollie $ available.

As for Hall, among his stated favorites, Minnesota is dealt the most crushing blow if he goes elsewhere in my opinion. I'm not saying this to tweak Jammen - it's the truth. There's a recruiting arms race going on among about 4 schools, and you better not be left behind.

I've already posted that I think it is a foregone conclusion that Hall will not be a Gopher. He would have already let it be known that he was going to Minny if so. I'm guessing Huskers.

[QUOTE="El-Jefe, post: 237978, member: 9310"
I'd also push the arms race 6 schools now: PSU, Iowa, Okie State, Sparky, Tanning Bed U., and the Goofers -- with Koll and Dresser knocking at the door and Michigan looking to make a push soon.[/QUOTE]

Hall has just stated that he is staying in the Midwest at a B1G school. Hence my geography question.

I've already posted that I think it is a foregone conclusion that Hall will not be a Gopher. He would have already let it be known that he was going to Minny if so. I'm guessing Huskers.
Huskers would be fine by me - he'd have some great training partners there as well.

I know I've seen some on the Guiilotine posit that the booing he gets being at Apple Valley and a transfer might have swayed him from staying in MN. Any truth to that?

AV gets a lot of hs forum hate for their transfers, but if Hall wanted to be a Gopher I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be elated. He'd be the toast of the town. It'd also be the shot in the arm the Gophers need. His natural ability would transcend the overtraining and pummel-them-to-death coaching that Eggum favors.

Yes, gotta agree and must say I am floored at the success that Nolf has exhibited in Free given his lack of experience - he wrestled Hall respectable in the finals of his first major Freestyle tournament ever?!?! (i was shocked that he Even sniffed the finals let alone go the distance w/ Hall. The tactics, positioning and awareness are so different between the two styles that it often comes down to experience, not just that one wrestled necessarily has a talent advantage at the specific style (although they could). This is especially true w/ Free as it is easier to give up a whole mess of points simply due to lack of experience and awareness that you are in a vulernable situation - of the two styles, Folk rewards conservatism and strong defensive skills (including riding your opponent which not only burns clock but prevents your opponent from scoring points). Free puts much, much more focus on offense, scoring offensive points & being the aggressor. There is no way to really be successful in Free being a superior defensive wrestler w/ little offense - in Folk there is, Iowa's Mike Evans is a classic example of this.

@jammenz

Some data has emerged over this age old debate you like having with yourself. Thought I’d share.

Interesting stuff. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that 20-50% of New Yorkers think that they are in the Midwest. Or that 5-20% of Rhode Islanders also do.
This pretty much sums it up:

Midwest-Mystery-Pizza-with-Ingredients.jpg

https://www.caseys.com/midwestmystery

Win free pizza for a year

Sorry Smalls, PA residents are not eligible, something about the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: CropDuster507
ADVERTISEMENT