ADVERTISEMENT

PSU in Vegas

There have been some rumors around that Cael & Co. have circling around Daton Fix (along with the other top teams). Fix is a soph who is a little under the radar, well, relatively, because he competes in the same weight class as Spencer Lee and Suriano. Big time freestyle kid. After seeing him dismantle Lizak and Micic, he would be a great match with to go along with Lee or at least I can feel better if we get one of them after the other ends up at ASU, lol.

It can't hurt that there are 3 PSU guys in the finals with Fix there. Maybe Zeke and John Smith aren't the only guys who can coach them some freestyle.

Fix would be one heckuva get, especially since he lives 1 hr from Stillwater.

Cassar Wins the championship! 8-3

Retherford and Nolf finish second, looked good on their feet, but Pico and Hall just have too much experience in FS. Nolf was really hurt by match stoppages; Hall looked tired. Without the stoppages, Nolf might have been able to wear Hall down. I'd still take Retherford and Nolf over the other two in folkstyle any day.

There have been some rumors around that Cael & Co. have circling around Daton Fix (along with the other top teams). Fix is a soph who is a little under the radar, well, relatively, because he competes in the same weight class as Spencer Lee and Suriano. Big time freestyle kid. After seeing him dismantle Lizak and Micic, he would be a great match with to go along with Lee or at least I can feel better if we get one of them after the other ends up at ASU, lol.

It can't hurt that there are 3 PSU guys in the finals with Fix there. Maybe Zeke and John Smith aren't the only guys who can coach them some freestyle.
Fix looked pretty incredible. Great hips.

Cassar Wins the championship! 8-3

Retherford and Nolf finish second, looked good on their feet, but Pico and Hall just have too much experience in FS. Nolf was really hurt by match stoppages; Hall looked tired. Without the stoppages, Nolf might have been able to wear Hall down. I'd still take Retherford and Nolf over the other two in folkstyle any day.

Thanks for the updates. Did Hall look significantly bigger than Nolf? He should have a good 10 pounds on him, no?

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates. Did Hall look signifantly bigger than Nolf? He should have a good 10 pounds on him, no?
Hard to tell. Hall definitely looked thicker, but Nolf was taller. Nolf definitely had the bigger gas tank. Again, I would have liked to see what would have happened if there weren't so many delays for challenges. Not sure that Nolf would have won but....

So based on what you guys witnessed, who wrestles where in the middle weights for PSU?
Thanks
Will

So based on what you guys witnessed, who wrestles where in the middle weights for PSU?
Thanks
Will

Prefaced with "it's a long way off and nothing is set in stone" I wouldn't read much of anything into the weight choices out there. Except, as previously reported, Zain is now a 149. Nolf and Nickal (although he didn't compete) are most likely choosing their spots based on a desire to make the Junior World team. So they have to pick 145, 163 or 185. The other weights in between aren't contested at worlds.

Zain looks to be pretty much confirmed at 149.

Nolf looks like 157 - he didn't look small there, but looked smaller than Marstellar. Definitely has a lot of room to fill out. In regards to Hall, he doesn't look like he's going to wrestle above 174 in college.

Nickal wasn't out there, but would highly doubt he's anything but 174 next year. Last year he wrestled 85kg in offseason as well.

My guess on the lineup:

125 - Nico
133 - Conaway
141 - Gulibon
149 - Zain
157 - Nolf
165 - Rasheed/Hammond
174 - Nickal
184 - McCutcheon
197 - McIntosh
285 - Nevills

Don't think there is much drama too it. Looks like the drama may be coming the next year. Lot's of questions about that lineup.

Not much on Nevills lately due to the foot/ankle injury. Any word on how that's progressing?

I'll bite on the drama for 2016/17. Three freshmen in the line-up. In 2017/18, Lee appears.... At 133 or 141.

125 - Red
133 - Pletcher
141 - *Gulibon
149 - Zain
157 - Joseph
165 - Nolf
174 - Hall
184 - Nickal
197 - McCutcheon
285 - Nevills

I'll bite on the drama for 2016/17. Three freshmen in the line-up. In 2017/18, Lee appears.... At 133 or 141.

125 - Red
133 - Pletcher
141 - *Gulibon
149 - Zain
157 - Joseph
165 - Nolf
174 - Hall
184 - Nickal
197 - McCutcheon
285 - Nevills

This new format doesn't have a ton of emoticons, but if it did, I'd insert the praying emoticon for this prognostication.

I don't know anything, but Fix not ending up at OSU would shock me. I would consider it more surprising than Mark Perry going to Iowa. I am not in the business of predicting what high schoolers will do, but like I said I would be shocked.

125 - Red
133 - Pletcher
141 - *Gulibon
149 - Zain
157 - Joseph
165 - Nolf
174 - Hall
184 - Nickal
197 - McCutcheon
285 - Nevills

Pletcher wrestled 106 as a freshman; 120 as a sophmore; and 132 as a high school junior. What are his chances of staying at 133 for the next couple of years?

Last edited:

125 - Red
133 - Pletcher
141 - *Gulibon
149 - Zain
157 - Joseph
165 - Nolf
174 - Hall
184 - Nickal
197 - McCutcheon
285 - Nevills
If Mark Hall comes to PSU I will eat my hat, and don't count out Cassar at 197

Reactions: tikk10
Pletcher wrestled 106 as a freshman; 120 as a sophmore; and 132 as a high school junior. What are his chances of staying at 133 for the next couple of years?
Red at 125 is less likely than Pletcher at 133. Lee at 125 is more likely than Red at 125.

Agree and disagree on Hall. NCAA Tournament math says, of 2-wrestler combos, (champ + DNQ) > (2 low/mid AAs). NCAA Tourney math also says David Taylor's bonus points > 1 low AA. If the coaches project Hall as a multiple champ, especially one with large bonus potential, then they have to go after him. But I agree, him coming to PSU seems unlikely.

If the coaches don't project him at that level, then he will likely command too much money.

In what world is the #3 Class of 2017 recruit under the radar by any standard?

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Maybe he is done growing. if your reasoning is correct Luke will be at 74 in a couple

In what world is the #3 Class of 2017 recruit under the radar by any standard?

As I mentioned - relatively. Let's go count the number of times Lee and Suriano's name have been mentioned on your board and this one and compare it to Fix'. I'm going to say 10 to 1 for Lee and 5 to 1 for Suriano - conservatively. That's what I'm talking about in relatively under the radar in regards to Fix. Let's even throw in Luke Pletcher and Chad Red, Jason Renteria and Justin Mejia.

Go to the most active wrestling boards in the country and see how often Fix' name was mentioned in regards to recruiting as compared to those names before this past weekend. Not many...

As I mentioned - relatively. Let's go count the number of times Lee and Suriano's name have been mentioned on your board and this one and compare it to Fix'. I'm going to say 10 to 1 for Lee and 5 to 1 for Suriano - conservatively. That's what I'm talking about in relatively under the radar in regards to Fix. Let's even throw in Luke Pletcher and Chad Red, Jason Renteria and Justin Mejia.

Go to the most active wrestling boards in the country and see how often Fix' name was mentioned in regards to recruiting as compared to those names before this past weekend. Not many...
Hell Dice, you can throw Taylor Lamont In there as well

To be fair there was more chatter about Fix than both Renteria and Mejia before they committed.

To be fair there was more chatter about Fix than both Renteria and Mejia before they committed.

Well, lol, you know why I threw them in. And I'd argue that there was as much chatter about Renteria as there was about Fix. But there wasn't a lot about any and that's the point - how many times have you heard Fix' name mentioned here or on the Iowa board, before this weekend? Hardly ever. As CSauertieg just correctly pointed out, Taylor Lamont has been mentioned as a potential guy for PSU to go after about 10x as much as Fix has.

Beyond those really, really into it - Fix was "under the radar" compared to the names I mentioned.

I guess I agree to a point, but the way you stated it was that Fix is an under the radar guy in general - that's how it came off to me I guess. In terms of this board, I suppose most here might not have known his name, Iowa boards don't talk about him because he is an Oklahoma kid would be my guess.

Fix won a 2013 Cadet FS title, but I would say his last year made him a lot more prominent than the year before. He was in the Super 32 finals against Yianni and then had a marthon match with Suriano at WNO - I feel like those were talked about. It's not fair to compare the chatter with Lee or Hall, they are head and shoulders above everyone in terms of references.

You have explained yourself and that's fair enough for me.

SIAP ... Flo has unlocked the Nolf-Chavez semi, and the only words to describe Jason Nolf are HOLY SH**!!

Shoot first, ask questions later. Takedown in the first 5 sec of the match. 6 takedowns in the 6-min match, plus another 3-4 that he couldn't convert in free (due to ref stoppages) but probably would've in folk. All but one were low singles. The pace and aggression were incredible for 125s, let alone 157-165s. Correction: for a 157, because Nolf smothered Chavez.

If you haven't seen this yet, what are you waiting for?

SIAP ... Flo has unlocked the Nolf-Chavez semi, and the only words to describe Jason Nolf are HOLY SH**!!

Shoot first, ask questions later. Takedown in the first 5 sec of the match. 6 takedowns in the 6-min match, plus another 3-4 that he couldn't convert in free (due to ref stoppages) but probably would've in folk. All but one were low singles. The pace and aggression were incredible for 125s, let alone 157-165s. Correction: for a 157, because Nolf smothered Chavez.

If you haven't seen this yet, what are you waiting for?
That right there was an onslaught. Chavez couldn't keep him off.

Reactions: amalone
As much as I was hoping that Chance ended up wearing blue and white, I as well as most other PSU fans are estatic with how last years incoming class is progressing. I can't wait till next season to see how the pieces fit together.

Reactions: amalone
I posted earlier that I thought this was Nolf's first Freestyle tournament, but wasn't sure. Does anyone have a way of confirming that?

I posted earlier that I thought this was Nolf's first Freestyle tournament, but wasn't sure. Does anyone have a way of confirming that?
According to track he wrestled 2 tournaments in July 2011. I would think those would be FS, but I have no clue. TFs in the tournaments were 15-0, so that makes me think folk. They keep changing stuff on me though. Either way his experience in the style seems very limited, with some par tarre offense he would be more of a beast.

According to track he wrestled 2 tournaments in July 2011. I would think those would be FS, but I have no clue. TFs in the tournaments were 15-0, so that makes me think folk. They keep changing stuff on me though. Either way his experience in the style seems very limited, with some par tarre offense he would be more of a beast.

Thanks April-- My guess is those were Folkstyle as well. No question Nolf is a work in progress in Freestyle. I know he wrestled in the Disney Duals back then which may have been one of those. To the best of my knowledge he wasn't entered in any of the PA Freestyle tournies and he never competed at Fargo.

Hall is a special talent and deserves all of the praise he receives. That said, I was surprised at how easily Nolf was able to get in on Hall's legs, particularly considering how Hall dominated Valencia at Who's Number 1, in the spring.

I am not a Freestyle fan and struggled watching the Nolf's last two matches. Against Chavez, Nolf almost lost on one set of moves and Chavez never was in the match. Hat's off to Nolf for coming back and grinding out the match.

The officiating in the Hall match was horrible. It was painful to watch. The match took over 17 minutes with numerous challenges and scoring screw ups by the official. At the end the ref actually raised Nolf's hand instead of Hall's

I can only find him in 1 tourney -- the Grand River Rumble, which is folk.

Most likely the other event was Disney Duals, which is folk. Young Guns goes to Disney every year. I think it's in July.

Fargo is in July, but I don't think Nolf has been there. (Could be wrong about that in general, but he doesn't appear in Track's 2011 Fargo listings.)

Hall said he will most likely grey shirt. So I'm assuming that means the 2016/2017 season.

Saw this posted on the OK State board this morning:

I'm not very knowledgeable in signing of recruits so pardon if this question is obvious...but when can a student officially sign? Junior or Senior in High School? I'm from Sand Springs and PSU is making me nervous concerning a particular young wrestler.

Of course Tognetti swooped in debunking it, as he is Oz when it comes to all things OK State.

At the very least, it looks like we are making an impression.

I'm not very knowledgeable in signing of recruits so pardon if this question is obvious...but when can a student officially sign? Junior or Senior in High School? I'm from Sand Springs and PSU is making me nervous concerning a particular young wrestler.

Of course Tognetti swooped in debunking it, as he is Oz when it comes to all things OK State.

Looks like the Cowboys need to send in a "fixer" like The Wolf from Pulp Fiction to solve the problem :cool:

Slap me silly if we pull that off, but the lightweights are wide open for us in the next few years - we need studs badly at the front of the lineup.

I'd be satisfied with Cael (I.e. His job would be safe) if he locked up some combo of Lee, Red, Suriano, Fix, Pletch :D

I would not read too much into that. Sand Springs isn't a little town in the middle of no where, where everyone knows each other. It's a suburb of Tulsa. Of course anything can happen, but this isn't your typical recruitment. Fix' dad wrestled at OSU with coach Smith.

Obviously Smith is an excellent coach, but we have no idea the experience Fix' father had under him. Maybe he loved it and advocates defensive wrestling. Maybe not. Maybe he wants his son to attack and be offensive(sounds funny). We just don't know.

Obviously Smith is an excellent coach, but we have no idea the experience Fix' father had under him. Maybe he loved it and advocates defensive wrestling. Maybe not. Maybe he wants his son to attack and be offensive(sounds funny). We just don't know.
I'm not sure what about Coach Smith or OSU makes you think of defensive wrestling, but if that is your view you are entitled to it however off base it is. Fix' dad didn't wrestle for him, he wrestled with him, not all 4/5 years, but their careers overlapped. Who knows what he is going to do, but they are an OSU family. That obviously doesn't seal the deal, but it helps.

ADVERTISEMENT