ADVERTISEMENT

PSU in Vegas

dicemen99

Nov 15, 2005
Just going off the top of my head so far here at 1pm EST.

Juniors

Carpenter lost to Luke Gardner-Pottsville HS by TF. Gardner is tough but did not make States this year as a Junior.

Zain 2 easy techs so far - on collision course to meet Pico. As expected, someone is reporting that they have talked to the family out there in Vegas and Zain had difficulty making 143.5. He is definitely going 149 this year.

Law - got a default in Rd 1. Did not step on mat.

Dinmore - lost 1st round 5-2 at 74kg. He is also competing at the Senior level at 70kg, so I guess he's giving up 9 pounds at the Juniors.

Hammond loses to Marstellar 10-0 in about a minute. I caught the match with GH down 4-0, got in deep on Marstellar and in about 10 seconds Chance scored 6 points with Hammond still deep in on his legs. Chance is really experienced in Freestyle. I do NOT see Nolf beating him here in Vegas. If they meet next year in college, I'll put a lot of money on Nolf, but not now in this style. Chance scored 3 exposures in 10 seconds with Hammond in a position that would probably be money in folkstyle.

Nolf - tech first round. Great on feet. A little worried as he tried a high gut early and almost got caught on his back. Stayed away from it for the rest of the match. Not experienced enough yet in FS.

Cassar - coming up

Reactions: Wrestler2u
Big win from Jason Nolf. Chance is highly experienced at freestyle. Nolf.. is already very special. Great to see him beat Chance. With the very positive updates on Bo Nickal from Tim... and the added muscle put on my Zain. There's so much to look forward to this coming season. I can't literally wait to see this team come together. Add in Nico, Jimmie, & Morgan... this team will be incredibly exciting to watch.

Reactions: barpsu
All of the semifinal matches are interesting. You can see a list of the junior FS semis as posted by Flo at THIS LINK.

The matches that appeal to me are:

50 kg: Devin Brown, PA vs. Brandon Courtney, AZ

55 kg: Ethan Lizak, PA vs. Daton Fix, OK

60 kg: Mitch McKee, MN vs. Luke Pletcher, PA

63 kg: Tristan Moran is in 1, and he took out Matt Kolodzik in the quarters

66 kg: Aaron Pico, CA vs. Baby J. Bannister, MD
Griffin Parriott, MN vs. Zain Retherford PA

70 kg: Alec Panteleo, MI vs. Cody Law, PA

74 kg: Mark Hall, MI vs. Jo Jo Smith, OK
Jon Jay Chavez, CA vs. Jason Nolf, PA

79 kg: Ryan Christensen, WA vs. Dom Scalise, PA

84 kg: good matches, but none I'd adjust my schedule to see

96 kg: Marcus Harrington, IA vs. Anthony Cassar, NJ

120 kg: good matches, but none I'd adjust my schedule to see

ASICS U.S. Open semis are loaded with name wrestlers. You can read all the semi match-ups at THIS LINK.

The ones that I'd love to see are:

65 kg: Brent Metcalf, NYAC vs. Tank, NLWC

74 kg: DT, NLWC vs. Tyler Caldwell, Sunkist Kids

86 kg: Ed Ruth, Sunkist Kids vs. Jake Herbert, NYAC

97 kg: Jake Varner, NLWC vs JD Bergman, NYAC
(Kyle Snyer vs. J'Den Cox in the other semi)

Alas, I'm going to miss all the semis, so I look forward to reading reports from those that view them.

Stalledwell NEVER comes to wrestle DT. He's clearly intimidated by DT. Turned DT's last National Championship into a narcolepsy affair or a Chris Perry affair. You choose.

Seniors

97kg US Open Men's Freestyle Semi's: Jake Varner beats J.D.Bergman 2-2 (Criteria)

84kg US Open Men's Freestyle Semi's: Jake Herbert beats Ed Ruth 13-11

74kg US Open Men's Freestyle Semi's: David Taylor beats Tyler Caldwell 12-2

65kg US Open Men's Freestyle Semi's: Brent Metcalf beats Frank Molinaro 4-2

97kg Final: Jake Varner takes on.... Kyle Snyder. Wow. Interesting Senior Final. Olympic Champion against 2013 Fila Junior World Champion.

Big win from Jason Nolf. Chance is highly experienced at freestyle. Nolf.. is already very special. Great to see him beat Chance. With the very positive updates on Bo Nickal from Tim... and the added muscle put on my Zain. There's so much to look forward to this coming season. I can't literally wait to see this team come together. Add in Nico, Jimmie, & Morgan... this team will be incredibly exciting to watch.
I missed the Bo Nickal updates from Tim. What did he say?

Reactions: LGe987
guessing it's this from Tim in the Brands thread:

"Maybe even a few more. Almost unbelievable reviews coming out about Nickal from inside the room this spring. Guy is going to be fun to watch
."

Anyone know why Nico didn't wrestle this weekend? Was looking forward to seeing him.

guessing it's this from Tim in the Brands thread:

"Maybe even a few more. Almost unbelievable reviews coming out about Nickal from inside the room this spring. Guy is going to be fun to watch
."
Yea, nothing that I haven't been saying. There was a lot of buzz about him (and Nolf and Rasheed, of course, too) in St. Louis and that hasn't stopped.

Wow. Went to dinner last night and out for cocktails later, so didn't get to see the match (or know the result) until this morning.

I couldn't have been more wrong about Nolf/Marstellar in freestyle. Been trying to temper the enthusiasm for Nolf, but its really hard to now.

I'll tell you, it was great to see him really turn it up in the second. He is a goer and not just a goer when things are going good (like you see with some guys).

He left no doubt. Chance had no answer for that low single once Nolf turned it up.

Just going through the brackets now, noticed Dom Scalise in the semis at 79kg. Where is he - I thought he was a Virginia commit or something like that, but he is not wrestliing attached.

Just going through the brackets now, noticed Dom Scalise in the semis at 79kg. Where is he - I thought he was a Virginia commit or something like that, but he is not wrestliing attached.
Virginia

Well, someone had to come out and say it and I agree! When Jason handled Brian Realbuto at the Scuffle last year, many quickly dismissed it as Realbuto not being 100%. But then he had returning #3 placewinner James Green gasping for air and was in on several shots in the finals. He will be an immediate contender beginning this fall. Dynamo!

Don't kid yourself Nolfie will be major contender day 1. Fearless match yesterday vs chance was no match looking forward to watching today's matches. Wrestling heaven out here

Chickemnan.... HE will.
Well, someone had to come out and say it and I agree! When Jason handled Brian Realbuto at the Scuffle last year, many quickly dismissed it as Realbuto not being 100%. But then he had returning #3 placewinner James Green gasping for air and was in on several shots in the finals. He will be an immediate contender beginning this fall. Dynamo!

James Green just took 3rd place at the senior FS US Open completely destroying Kevin LeValley in about a min or more. Shows you how tough Nolf wrestled Green.

Finals of the FS US Open are on tonight at 7:00 for those who would like to see the DT vs Howe match and Jake Varner vs Kyle Snyder match.

Yes, that was a nice win by Cassar. Harrington was regarded as a better recruit coming out of high school. Anthony may be able to step right in after McIntosh graduates. Last year's recruiting class keeps looking better and better.

Retherford, Nolf, and Cassar in the finals!

Retherford dominated up 10 before the pin. Nolf non-stop action. Totally dominated on his feet. He just got himself in trouble when his opponent rolled through a couple of time on a gut. Cassar with a fun match to watch, got a 4 point move late and held on to win by 1; he will be a nice replacement for Mac.

Anyone know what mat the championship bouts will be on?

Looks like Mat 2 for the finals.
Thanks! They just confirmed that on the live feed. Otherwise, I haven't found a good way to find our matches other than constantly cycling through the mats. At least they announced that the semis would be on mats 2 and 3. Flow should come up with some type of scrolling screen that shows who is on what mat during the prelims.

Thanks! They just confirmed that on the live feed. Otherwise, I haven't found a good way to find our matches other than constantly cycling through the mats. At least they announced that the semis would be on mats 2 and 3. Flow should come up with some type of scrolling screen that shows who is on what mat during the prelims.

Open 2 windows on your desktop. Flo on one, trackwrestling on the other. Every couple minutes take a quick look at track and you see what matches are on and what ones are on deck. Mat numbers are listed

How about Anthony Cassar?!?!!!

Yes, that was a nice win by Cassar. Harrington was regarded as a better recruit coming out of high school. Anthony may be able to step right in after McIntosh graduates. Last year's recruiting class keeps looking better and better.

I can't believe this is true. I've read many times on the internet that Cael can't develop wrestlers and only does well with top recruits. Are we sure this is the PSU Anthony Cassar out there and not some other Anthony Cassar who might be enrolled at Minnesota where this development would be expected under JRob??????

In regards to Cassar, that was a really nice win. Also had a win over another highly regarded recruit earlier in Derek White. Some really nice reattacks and is very powerful with his double. Moves really well also.

Nolf
Nickal
Nevills
Rasheed
Cassar

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT