ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PSU Hoops rides red-hot Lundy, Sessoms to season opening win

mralph59

Staff Writer
Staff
Nov 1, 2021
State College, Pennsylvania
Micah Shrewsberry officially got his first win as Penn State head coach, and it came off the back of some impressive performances from Seth Lundy, Sam Sessoms and John Harrar.

Here's my recap and the biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's win:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ski
Micah Shrewsberry officially got his first win as Penn State head coach, and it came off the back of some impressive performances from Seth Lundy, Sam Sessoms and John Harrar.

Unless I missed it in the article, Final score would be nice.

YSU is a decent team. PSU looked gassed at the end, especially Harrar. They made two really bad turnovers late which looked like they were due to being tired and not thinking, just trying to do things with minimum effort. Harrar is Harrar and will be good. Sessoms looks like he's got some game. The team looked confused on defense early but righted themselves. They played well after halftime....which for the first game after a new coach, is understandable. Really lacked fan support, though.

YSU is a decent team. PSU looked gassed at the end, especially Harrar. They made two really bad turnovers late which looked like they were due to being tired and not thinking, just trying to do things with minimum effort. Harrar is Harrar and will be good. Sessoms looks like he's got some game. The team looked confused on defense early but righted themselves. They played well after halftime....which for the first game after a new coach, is understandable. Really lacked fan support, though.
They didn't lack fan support from the students. The students turned out, it was the other fans that were lacking. However, 8:30 p.m. games and State college against Youngstown State is a tough ticket

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean exactly, but there was a point when YSU got within 6 or 8. Then PSU responded and put them away. Chambers' teams were able to do that about zero times in nine years. You can already see that the style of play is different. The rhythm is very different
Excellent point. It was refreshing not to see "panic mode" when they started to come back. Granted, it was YSU, but still - Dwayne Cohill was a 4* recruit, chose Dayton over PSU and tOSU, and then transferred to YSU. They have some talent.

Anyone notice that Miles Dredd looked grossly out of shape? Has he been hurt and I just missed it.
Has he looked in shape before? He has always carried extra weight. Judging by the wrap on his shoulder, I would hazard the guess that his shoulder is chronic or is not 100%

Reactions: bison13
Has he looked in shape before? He has always carried extra weight. Judging by the wrap on his shoulder, I would hazard the guess that his shoulder is chronic or is not 100%
I thought yesterday it looked like he carried extra baggage. Maybe it was the jersey??

Not sure what you mean exactly, but there was a point when YSU got within 6 or 8. Then PSU responded and put them away. Chambers' teams were able to do that about zero times in nine years. You can already see that the style of play is different. The rhythm is very different
well, it was youngstown state. Also, I was making no comparison between this and the precious coach(es).

I thought yesterday it looked like he carried extra baggage. Maybe it was the jersey??
He hurt his shoulder in practice which is why he is wearing the wrap. He does appear to have gained weight but he is solid as a rock.

I don't expect much from him on offense this year. It seems they want him to play strong defense down low and rebound. He rarely gets moved out of position even by much larger players.

Time will tell how good of a coach Micah is but he certainly comes across as a likeable guy.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
He hurt his shoulder in practice which is why he is wearing the wrap. He does appear to have gained weight but he is solid as a rock.

I don't expect much from him on offense this year. It seems they want him to play strong defense down low and rebound. He rarely gets moved out of position even by much larger players.
Hasn’t he worn a shoulder wrap for some time now?

The team looked decent but the three PSU starter who decided to stay with the program carried the scoring load. Didn't see a much out of the transfer that were brought in. Noticeable scoring drop off when Harrar, Lundy and Sessoms were not in there. Hopefully they will get in better as the season progress or it's going to be a long B10 season.

The team looked decent but the three PSU starter who decided to stay with the program carried the scoring load. Didn't see a much out of the transfer that were brought in. Noticeable scoring drop off when Harrar, Lundy and Sessoms were not in there. Hopefully they will get in better as the season progress or it's going to be a long B10 season.

Pickett played the most minutes and will be a main cog as the year goes on, I say hes a guy who will avg double figures and is a solid rebounder, passer, defender. The other main transfer is Lee who is out for a month. White is a role player who is better than Buttrick and Cornwall is a role guy as a 3 point shooter.

Reactions: psuguy43
ADVERTISEMENT