ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PSU Hoops downs Rutgers at home behind Sessoms' 17 points, strong defense

mralph59

Staff Writer
Staff
Nov 1, 2021
State College, Pennsylvania
Penn State got back in the win column for the third time in the last four games. A dominant defensive performance carried a relatively down night on offense, but Sam Sessoms bounced back in a huge way from an awful game against Purdue. The Nittany Lions also held Rutgers well below their scoring average of 70.4 points per game, and Ron Harper Jr. was quieted to just seven points. Jevonnie Scott also saw his first minutes with Penn State.

Full recap, plus quotes from Shrewsberry, John Harrar and Sam Sessoms here:

Penn State got back in the win column for the third time in the last four games. A dominant defensive performance carried a relatively down night on offense, but Sam Sessoms bounced back in a huge way from an awful game against Purdue. The Nittany Lions also held Rutgers well below their scoring average of 70.4 points per game, and Ron Harper Jr. was quieted to just seven points. Jevonnie Scott also saw his first minutes with Penn State.

Full recap, plus quotes from Shrewsberry, John Harrar and Sam Sessoms here:
Give credit to Lundy for great D tonight. Excellent effortt

And Sam seems to be earning his way into more p.t. (a combo of Cornwall goofs/lack of production) and Sam playing more under control. Dread got the start...not sure I saw Cornwall at all...

I did see him greeting guys on their way to the bench for a time out...he had his warm up still on. If his presence forces Sessoms to play more focused minutes then that growth tangentially can be credited to 11. Excited by the depth and size of Lee and Scott too

I did see him greeting guys on their way to the bench for a time out...he had his warm up still on. If his presence forces Sessoms to play more focused minutes then that growth tangentially can be credited to 11. Excited by the depth and size of Lee and Scott too
When Scott gets his game legs he will be a handful. He is an athletic big man, who I think Penn State fans will see that he can shoot also.
Cornwall may in the end help this team. He does have a great looking shot, has a career 43% 3 point shooting, handles the ball well, and can make free throws. He is really uncomfortable right now, but I think that will change as Shrew finds out if he is going to work hard to get his minutes back or not.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Cornwall did not see the floor last night
Shrew let Sam know just how upset he was with his play as he just unloaded on him after a bad turnover against Purdue, and then sat him and never put him back in. Sam responded, and now playing with Pickett they are a deadly duo in the back court. Now if Cornwall can respond the same way we could be a force the rest of the season.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT