ADVERTISEMENT

PSU has beaten 6 teams by 4 or more TDs including our last 3 opponents

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
And it's come against (currently) an 8 win team, two 7 win teams, and a 6 win team that just had a chance to beat Ohio St in their final possession today.

What is also hard to fathom is that we seem to keep improving despite a large number of starters and key leaders getting sidelined by injuries.

Another great game today! Folks shouldn’t be too quick to dismiss putting away an inferior opponent. If every team won every game they should… There’d be a lot more 9+ win teams right now.

As an aside… I know they're in the MAC, but I saw today that Ohio is 8-3 now. Not a bad blow out win over them either.

I’m enjoying this 9-2 team and am excited for next Saturday. Waiting for kickoff time to be announced…

And all of those teams would have a better record if they had not lost to us.

And it's come against (currently) an 8 win team, two 7 win teams, and a 6 win team that just had a chance to beat Ohio St in their final possession today.

What is also hard to fathom is that we seem to keep improving despite a large number of starters and key leaders getting sidelined by injuries.
Exactly! This team never folded and playing lights out the past few games

We scored 21 points, almost 28, not on offense. Through the half, ST and D scored more points than we had first downs.

Our offense was horrible until Rs defense let down knowing they had no chance. While the end score was lopsided, we played a horrible game on offense. This was a W but nothing to be proud of IMHO.

We scored 21 points, almost 28, not on offense. Through the half, ST and D scored more points than we had first downs.

Our offense was horrible until Rs defense let down knowing they had no chance. While the end score was lopsided, we played a horrible game on offense. This was a W but nothing to be proud of IMHO.
436 yards to 167…averaged 6.4 yards per carry…I’m not sure what you expect.

436 yards to 167…averaged 6.4 yards per carry…I’m not sure what you expect.
I expect our offense to move the ball in the first half against one of the worst teams in the B1G. We got lucky out it would have been a tough game

We did what we needed to do as a team but I am not excited about it. The OL was really bad but we had a lot of injuries. The play calling was awful as we kept running on first down against 8 low defenders.

Without a kick return and a defensive TD we’d have been struggling at half time. R made a great play then gave up another TD to our defense then totally collapsed as a team. That’s only when we piled up stats.

SC had a nice game after the first quarter and the staff made a nice adjustment having him run the ball.

I expect our offense to move the ball in the first half against one of the worst teams in the B1G. We got lucky out it would have been a tough game

We did what we needed to do as a team but I am not excited about it. The OL was really bad but we had a lot of injuries. The play calling was awful as we kept running on first down against 8 low defenders.

Without a kick return and a defensive TD we’d have been struggling at half time. R made a great play then gave up another TD to our defense then totally collapsed as a team. That’s only when we piled up stats.

SC had a nice game after the first quarter and the staff made a nice adjustment having him run the ball.
How long will it take for people to realize there are four quarters in a game and they all count the same. There have been a lot of games throughout our history where we didn’t light it up in the first half and went on to win easily. Michigan was losing to Rutgers at halftime. No team is going to have many games throughout a year where they play every quarter perfectly.

Having a competitive team is extremely enjoyable. Hoping we can take another step. Franklin has to be hungry for championship. I believe he came to PSU for nothing less than that. OSU is an immense challenge and now so is Michigan.

Another great game today! Folks shouldn’t be too quick to dismiss putting away an inferior opponent. If every team won every game they should… There’d be a lot more 9+ win teams right now.

As an aside… I know they're in the MAC, but I saw today that Ohio is 8-3 now. Not a bad blow out win over them either.

I’m enjoying this 9-2 team and am excited for next Saturday. Waiting for kickoff time to be announced…
Nice post

Reactions: mcpat and PSU Soupy
There are 4 unbeaten teams, 2 with one loss, and 7 with two losses with one week to go. Expect the finally tally to be something like 3,3,4... so only 10 P5 teams out of 65 get through a regular season with no more than 2 losses. That’s how competitive CFB is.

Funny, I thought defense and special teams were equal partners. I can tell you from the perspective of an old coach, defensive and special team scores are very satisfying and exciting.
I guess the 1987 Fiesta Bowl Game was nothing to be proud of.
Miami had 442 yards PSU 162
22 first downs to 8
PSU had 53 yards passing....LOL
When you find a week where all three phases are in high gear simultaneously, let me know.

By the way, if fans want to worry about something.....Allar hasn't looked that good lately.

Reactions: HDog1
How long will it take for people to realize there are four quarters in a game and they all count the same. There have been a lot of games throughout our history where we didn’t light it up in the first half and went on to win easily. Michigan was losing to Rutgers at halftime. No team is going to have many games throughout a year where they play every quarter perfectly.
LOL. Offense played an awful first half. It’s ok. You can admit it. Do you wear a PSU jersey all weekend?

Funny, I thought defense and special teams were equal partners. I can tell you from the perspective of an old coach, defensive and special team scores are very satisfying and exciting.
I guess the 1987 Fiesta Bowl Game was nothing to be proud of.
Miami had 442 yards PSU 162
22 first downs to 8
PSU had 53 yards passing....LOL
When you find a week where all three phases are in high gear simultaneously, let me know.

By the way, if fans want to worry about something.....Allar hasn't looked that good lately.
So, as a coach, you depended on the defense to score and to return kickoffs to score?

See, I design offenses to score. When they don’t, I am critical. It’s ok.

LOL. Offense played an awful first half. It’s ok. You can admit it. Do you wear a PSU jersey all weekend?
55-10, so who cares? Isn’t that what good teams do? Even when one part of their game isn’t playing well for a half, they still come out and blow out an inferior opponent through the other parts of their game? I don’t know about you, but I’d take 55-10 every week regardless of how my offense played for a half. And our defense was bad in the first quarter, why is no one crapping all over them? I mean come on, the first quarter was an awful showing. They gave up a TD and a FG, oh the horror.

I'm criticized all the time for "downplaying" our wins but there's no complaints to be had about yesterday's game. We started a little slow which many teams do this time of year then turned it on. It wasn't a game that was ever going to be competitive and we demolished them.

We may be the only team in the country that has lived up to expectations in most of our games against weaker opponents (Purdue/Northwestern being the only 2 that were competitive and NW was due to weather

55-10, so who cares? Isn’t that what good teams do? Even when one part of their game isn’t playing well for a half, they still come out and blow out an inferior opponent through the other parts of their game? I don’t know about you, but I’d take 55-10 every week regardless of how my offense played for a half. And our defense was bad in the first quarter, why is no one crapping all over them? I mean come on, the first quarter was an awful showing. They gave up a TD and a FG, oh the horror.
Well, I can love a beautiful house and hate the dishwasher. It doesn’t have to be all in or all out. Maybe the team and CJF should just take this week off. Heck, they scored 55! How could they get better? I wouldn’t even watch game film, the team is perfect!

Well, I can love a beautiful house and hate the dishwasher. It doesn’t have to be all in or all out. Maybe the team and CJF should just take this week off. Heck, they scored 55! How could they get better? I wouldn’t even watch game film, the team is perfect!
They can watch all the game film in the world and they will never be able to live up to the expectations of many on this board, so there’s that.

Reactions: PSUSignore
They can watch all the game film in the world and they will never be able to live up to the expectations of many on this board, so there’s that.
Maybe, but the other side of that coin is that critical analysis of certain aspects of the game shouldn’t be attacked

If you’re being honest with yourself, we played some pretty bad teams. Indy, Northwestern, Rutgers. All pretty bad. We did beat the crap out of a decent Minny team and that Purdue win is good.

Agreed--and we're maybe the only that has blown them out
The issue is when people pretend Ohio, Purdue and Minnesota without Morgan aren't bad teams.
Well, they aren’t….they’re not great teams, but they’re not bad either.

I don't know if you're jerking everyone's chain or serious? Assuming you're serious I've maybe seen psu play a few what I'd call perfect games. Big wins and great in all facets of the game. Quality wins like on the road against Bama in 86.
Most victories aren't as solid , for anyone, ever.
When you win by 45, have an offense with 3x the yards of an opponent , and score both defensively and on special teams , well I call that a great day. If you recall the last time we beat osu was on a block field goal returned for a score.

If you’re being honest with yourself, we played some pretty bad teams. Indy, Northwestern, Rutgers. All pretty bad. We did beat the crap out of a decent Minny team and that Purdue win is good.

Gee, let me guess, teams like Tennessee didn't play lots of bad teams??? Kinda like 4-loss, unranked South Carolina who they lost to yesterday???

Reactions: WaylonJ
So, as a coach, you depended on the defense to score and to return kickoffs to score?

See, I design offenses to score. When they don’t, I am critical. It’s ok.
Every coach has a "design." LOL Like every fanboy has a plan till he gets punched in the mouth. To be disappointed with 2 defensive touchdowns, 1 special team touchdown and 34 additional points is ludicrous.
Without the 3 additional touchdowns the score was 34-10....beating the point spread and scoring more points than the average 31 points Rutgers allowed to Big Ten opponents this year (including defensive and special team points).
You design bullshit.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Well, they aren’t….they’re not great teams, but they’re not bad either.
They're not "good either"...that's the issue with us and our ranking. We don't have that win that people are impressed by. Tennessee has LSU and Bama. Fair or not that will keep them ahead of us if our records are the same. Especially how the won on the road in LSU

Every coach has a "design." LOL Like every fanboy has a plan till he gets punched in the mouth. To be disappointed with 2 defensive touchdowns, 1 special team touchdown and 34 additional points is ludicrous.
Without the 3 additional touchdowns the score was 34-10....beating the point spread and scoring more points than the average 31 points Rutgers allowed to Big Ten opponents this year (including defensive and special team points).
You design bullshit.
At that end of the day I'll trade a W for anything with an L no matter the stats.

Reactions: marshall23 and Fac

Until Alabama got on the current run of QBs and 1st rd WRs, games like today are how they made their living.

Our offense is not efficient. It's got too many stretches of ice cold play. Is it Clifford, Yurcich, a depleted OL, freshman RBs, or a WR group without a stud? I don't know.

It just seems odd to nitpick a 55-10 game. Rutgers led Michigan 17-14 at the half. Schiano got his kids up for a half vs 2 of the best teams on the schedule before falling apart due to talent and depth.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Klatt on his TV show used PSU as exhibit A as to why the playoffs have to be expanded. He pointed to PSU as a team that has nothing to play for play off wise despite having 2 losses to the number 2 and number 3 teams in the country

Klatt on his TV show used PSU as exhibit A as to why the playoffs have to be expanded. He pointed to PSU as a team that has nothing to play for play off wise despite having 2 losses to the number 2 and number 3 teams in the country
Correct

Until Alabama got on the current run of QBs and 1st rd WRs, games like today are how they made their living.

Our offense is not efficient. It's got too many stretches of ice cold play. Is it Clifford, Yurcich, a depleted OL, freshman RBs, or a WR group without a stud? I don't know.

It just seems odd to nitpick a 55-10 game. Rutgers led Michigan 17-14 at the half. Schiano got his kids up for a half vs 2 of the best teams on the schedule before falling apart due to talent and depth.
Because the offense looked horrible in the first half. That isn’t nitpicking. Without two TDS from the ST and D we’d have been in a dog fight. The D TD early in the second half Simple broke their backs. That is three TDS that were not from the O

Yep. Franklin deserves credit for them actually improving (let alone not folding) after the Ohio state heart breaker
I don't think either are true. We haven't played anyone since Ohio State that we would lose to. Maryland's claim is playing well in losses to Ohio State and Michigan. The six teams they have beaten have a combined record of 24 and 42. More of the same with Rutgers and Indiana. Looking impressive against bad team is not improvement. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I don't think either are true. We haven't played anyone since Ohio State that we would lose to. Maryland's claim is playing well in losses to Ohio State and Michigan. The six teams they have beaten have a combined record of 24 and 42. More of the same with Rutgers and Indiana. Looking impressive against bad team is not improvement. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Our quality wins have to been minny, Purdue and auburn

ADVERTISEMENT