ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Football 2018:

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
Things I Know:

- PSU has won 11 games for each of the last two seasons… something that has only been done 4 times in the 130+ year history of PSU Football.

- If PSU should somehow rebound to do so again this year, it would be the first time in the 130+ history of PSU Football.

- PSU, right now, is one easy interception – that slipped through the fingers, hands, and knees of Amari O to fall to the turf, or any of a dozen other odd occurrences, some which PSU controlled some that they didn’t – away from being ranked at #5 in the country right now (and in great position for the Final Four)…. And one fourth down conversion, or any of a dozen other odd occurrences, away from being ranked #2 in the country.

- No CFB program is without warts and “soft spots”….. not even mighty Alabama.

- Sometimes shit happens in a particular game that really doesn’t mean anything aside from “that was a lucky – or unlucky – break”.

Things I Think I Know:

- No Head Coach could have led PSU from “where they were in 2014” to where they are now, as quickly and effectively as CJF.

- OSU played more poorly than PSU on Saturday - in their matchup with Minnesota - but was the recipient of several beneficial “breaks”…. But no one is lamenting that OSU in “no bueno”.
OSU was outplayed and outcoached two weeks ago in Beaver Stadium…. But no one is lamenting that OSU is “no bueno”.

- The current PSU roster – despite a couple of “soft spots” that all teams have – is very, very talented. And, the roster is better than it has been in a long time (even the 2016/2017 rosters had many more potential weaknesses – starting with a young, thin, inexperienced OL, and a defensive roster that was largely populated by guys who were not recruited by “elite” teams (Cabinda, Cothren, Cothran, Campbell, Bell etc) "soft spots" that were largely covered up by some outstanding coaching).

- The current PSU coaching staff has done – by and large – a very good job at recruiting (where they are relentless), developing, and coaching their roster.

Things I Know I Think:

- PSU remains in a very good position moving forward.

- There is no head coach in the country who I would even consider as a better fit for PSU than the one they have now.

- The number of “soft spots” in the roster and the program has been rapidly shrinking over the last few years – and recruiting remains very strong.

- There is one “achilles' heel” that does stick out with the current constitution of the program, that needs to be rectified relatively quickly….. and I do not think that the current head coach will allow it to persist and fester (as we saw things “fester” for a decade in the not-too-distant past).
I could go into the particulars of that problem at length, but either Ricky Rahne will quickly have “all the lights come on” over the next six games (which would be wonderful), or changes will be made to deal with the issue. I would hope that one or the other would happen ASAP, although I am somewhat concerned that even if the lights don’t come on that CJF may give another year to the current construct - but very certain it will not linger, one way or the other, past that.

- In the meantime, PSU Football certainly has all the tools to continue to win a lot of games … and they may very well have a strong second half of the season - even against high level competition and a challenging schedule.... and will likely be a strong competitor in the B10 for years to come.

Last edited:
Agree with most everything you said, although I do get the massive disappointment with this loss.

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts about the “particulars of ‘the’ problem” when you have the time.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Things I Know:

- PSU has won 11 games for each of the last two seasons… something that has only been done 4 times in the 130+ year history of PSU Football.

- If PSU should somehow rebound to do so again this year, it would be the first time in the 130+ history of PSU Football.

- PSU, right now, is one easy interception – that slipped through the fingers, hands, and knees of Amari O to fall to the turf, or any of a dozen other odd occurrences, some which PSU controlled some that they didn’t – away from being ranked at #5 in the country right now (and in great position for the Final Four)…. And one fourth down conversion, or any of a dozen other odd occurrences, away from being ranked #2 in the country.

- Sometimes shit happens in a particular game that really doesn’t mean anything aside from “that was a lucky – or unlucky – break”.

Things I Think I Know:

- No Head Coach could have led PSU from “where they were in 2014” to where they are now, as quickly and effectively as CJF.

- OSU played more poorly than PSU on Saturday, but was the recipient of several beneficial “breaks”…. But no one is lamenting that OSU in “no bueno”.
OSU was outplayed and outcoached two weeks ago in Beaver Stadium…. But no one is lamenting that OSU is “no bueno”.

- The current PSU roster – despite a couple of “soft spots” that all teams have – is very, very talented. And, the roster is better than it has been in a long time (even the 2016/2017 rosters had many more potential weaknesses – starting with a young, thin, inexperienced OL, and a defensive roster that was largely populated by guys who were not recruited by “elite” teams (Cabinda, Cothren, Cothran, Campbell, Bell etc) that were largely covered up by some outstanding coaching.

- The current PSU coaching staff has done – by and large – a very good job at recruiting (where they are relentless), developing, and coaching their roster.

Things I Know I Think:

- There is no head coach in the country who I would even consider as a better fit for PSU than the one they have now.

- The number of “soft spots” in the roster and the program has been rapidly shrinking over the last few years – and recruiting remains very strong.

- There is one “achilles' heel” that does stick out with the current constitution of the program, that needs to be rectified relatively quickly….. and I do not think that the current head coach will allow it to persist and fester (as we saw things “fester” for a decade in the not-to-distant past).
I could go into the particulars of that problem at length, but either Ricky Rahne will quickly have “all the lights come on” over the next six games (which would be wonderful), or changes will be made to deal with the issue. I would hope that one or the other would happen ASAP, although I am somewhat concerned that even if the lights don’t come on that CJF may give another year to the current construct - but very certain it will not linger, one way or the other, past that.

- In the meantime, PSU Football certainly has all the tools to continue to win a lot of games … and they may very well have a strong second half of the season - even against high level competition and a challenging schedule.... and will likely be a strong competitor in the B10 for years to come.
Agree with a few exceptions exceptions:
  1. Losing 5 games by a total of 12 pts isn't just a matter of bad luck. IMO staff plays by the book without sensing the momentum of the game.
  2. Last year PSU rebounded from 2 losses to finish 10-2. That will be much more difficult this year because a lot of tough games remain. Obviously @ UM. Iowa, Wisc, and MD will all be tough. 9-3 would be great but that could be difficult.
  3. Where's the solution for next year at LB snd DT?

I agree with most of your post, but will make a small clarification.
While it is true that "PSU has won 11 games for each of the last two seasons… something that has only been done 4 times in the 130+ year history of PSU Football", for those who may not know, it was not possible to be done prior to 1958. That was the 1st year Penn State played 10 regular season games, so even if they had gone unbeaten, and won a bowl, in the first 71 years of Penn State football, 11 wins was an impossible task.
I will also note that during the Paterno era, Penn State won 11 or more games 15 times, and 10 or more games 21 times.

Last edited:
I agree with most of your post, but will make a small clarification.
While it is true that "PSU has won 11 games for each of the last two seasons… something that has only been done 4 times in the 130+ year history of PSU Football", for those who may not know, it was not possible to be done prior to 1958. That was the 1st year Penn State played 10 regular season games, so even if they had gone unbeaten, and won a bowl, in the first 71 years of Penn State football, 11 wins was an impossible task.
I will also note that during the Paterno era, Penn State won 11 or more games 15 times, and 10 or more games 21 times.
Not too long ago the regular season was 11 games instead of 12.

Reactions: fairgambit
Things I Know:

Things I Think I Know:

- OSU played more poorly than PSU on Saturday - in their matchup with Minnesota - but was the recipient of several beneficial “breaks”…. But no one is lamenting that OSU in “no bueno”.

- The current PSU roster – despite a couple of “soft spots” that all teams have – is very, very talented. And, the roster is better than it has been in a long time (even the 2016/2017 rosters had many more potential weaknesses – starting with a young, thin, inexperienced OL, and a defensive roster that was largely populated by guys who were not recruited by “elite” teams (Cabinda, Cothren, Cothran, Campbell, Bell etc) "soft spots" that were largely covered up by some outstanding coaching).

Things I Know I Think:

- There is one “achilles' heel” that does stick out with the current constitution of the program, that needs to be rectified relatively quickly….. and I do not think that the current head coach will allow it to persist and fester (as we saw things “fester” for a decade in the not-too-distant past).

Good points. I for one did not have the expectations that some did for this year as I feel the team is pretty young (minus at QB), and they still don't have elite, experienced talent at certain positions that the Clemsons, Alabamas, and OSU excel at- mainly the D line and LBs.

Our line always strikes me as being undersized. A guy like Oweh, while probably a future stud, is around 240. They lost Buckholtz. Simmons isn't a Monster. Same with Givens and Miller. Watch Bama and the others- those guys are beasts. We are still getting these undersized guys who need three years to beef up.

And Linebacker is obviously young and inexperienced. And we have a walk on playing. The WRs are a big disappointment this year. I just didn't see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT