ADVERTISEMENT

2017 PSU Field Hockey Thread

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
PSU Field Hockey ranked no. 2 in latest poll

Women's teams volleyball, soccer, and field hockey all doing well this fall.

With the football team, that's four top five programs. Am I missing anyone?
No. You have it right.

The other 3 fall sports are men's soccer and the men's and women's cross country teams.

Men's soccer is 1-1-2 and the CC teams will be competitive, but probably will not get to the top 10 as a team.

Three matches left on PSU's schedule before the B1G Tourney.

The next match is against Maryland, on Sunday (10/15). It will be shown live on BTN at 3 pm EDT. MD is ranked #16 in the latest NFHCA poll.

PSU visits Maryland this afternoon, @ 3 pm EDT. The game will be televised on BTN.

I wasn't able to watch the game. Sounds as though it was a pretty good one. PSU fell to Maryland 2-1 in the 2nd OT. Ugh.

PSU's next contest is their final home match, against Rutgers, on Friday, Oct. 20, at 5 pm.

I wasn't able to watch the game. Sounds as though it was a pretty good one. PSU fell to Maryland 2-1 in the 2nd OT. Ugh.

PSU's next contest is their final home match, against Rutgers, on Friday, Oct. 20, at 5 pm.

Maryland totally outplayed us in the first half. We were lucky to go into the half scoreless. We outplayed them in the second - and they were lucky to end regulation 1-1. Both teams had chances to win in the OT, so it could have gone either way.

We were sloppy with the ball though. Too many turnovers on errant clearing passes, especially in the first half. If we can fix the turnover problem, we could be Final Four material. Right now Michigan looks to be the class of the Big Ten though. Nobody can score on them it seems - they have shutouts in 8 of their last 10 games (it was 8 of 9 before today). Maryland, Michigan, and PSU all look good enough to compete for a Final Four berth.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Today (10/29) PSU played in their opening match (the quarterfinals) of the B1G Field Hockey Tournament. They hosted Iowa, and defeated them 5-1 in the pouring rain.

PSU has the #3 seed in the tournament. (Michigan has the #1 seed, and Maryland has the #2 seed).

PSU's next match will be on Friday, Nov. 3, at 1:30, when they take on Maryland. The game will be played in East Lansing, MI, and will televised live on BTN.

As a note, in the most recent NFHCA Div. I Coaches Poll (10/24), the B1G had the following teams:

3. Michigan
5. PSU
8. Maryland
10. NW
20. Rutgers
23. Iowa

Reactions: PSU77sh
Have a friend who played field hockey for Penn State. Her daughter is a great player and the mom advised her against Penn State as she wasn't happy with Char as a coach and didn't want her daughter playing for her. Daughter is headed to another B1G school. I am disappointed as I would have loved seeing her daughter wearing blue and white.

Have a friend who played field hockey for Penn State. Her daughter is a great player and the mom advised her against Penn State as she wasn't happy with Char as a coach and didn't want her daughter playing for her. Daughter is headed to another B1G school. I am disappointed as I would have loved seeing her daughter wearing blue and white.

Wow, that's surprising. An alum who played FH for PSU advising their daughter to not play for Char. Each situation is unique, and I respect your friend's opinion. At the same time, Char does a great job keeping the alumni involved/connected to the program, and she is an excellent coach.

Reactions: hlstone
Question on helmets, why are there no helmets in women's field hockey? I was watching a match over the weekend and one of the girls had a bandaged wound over the eye which would have been prevented with a helmet and face guard. They swing those heavy sticks around with force, just like lacrosse and ice hockey.

Question on helmets, why are there no helmets in women's field hockey? I was watching a match over the weekend and one of the girls had a bandaged wound over the eye which would have been prevented with a helmet and face guard. They swing those heavy sticks around with force, just like lacrosse and ice hockey.

Injuries like that are pretty unusual. The refs are quick to call penalties anytime a ball or stick is played in a dangerous manner. Other than when talking a shot, the ball is supposed to be played pretty much below knee level (you can elevate a ball high in the air with a pass but not when you are near, i.e. within 15 yards, of anyone)

Penn State, the No. 3 seed, just beat Maryland, the No. 2 seed, 3-2 in the Big Ten semi-final.

They played a really good game, overcoming a questionable penalty corner that allowed Maryland to tie it up 2-2 with ten minutes remaining.

They now get Michigan for the championship. The Wolverines have been an absolute juggernaut for the last ten weeks. They have a 15 game winning streak going and have posted shutouts in 11 of those 15 games (one of which was a 3-0 shellacking of PSU here in State College).

I've said it all year long, but Michigan, Maryland, and PSU are all Final Four material. Unfortunately, the ACC has three teams you could say the same thing about (Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina). Here's hoping the NCAA sets their brackets up so that we can get some ACC/B10 battles rather than having the schools face teams within their own conference.

Michigan topped PSU 1-0 to win the Big Ten Tournament and the automatic bid. I thought the Nits played exceptionally well. We out played MIchigan for most of the game but just couldn't push a goal across - no surprise since Michigan has been shutting out pretty much everyone (they've now won 16 in a row with 12 shutouts). Their defense is exceptional and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win it all this year. Mark my words that one, or maybe both, of these teams will make the Final Four.

Ouch. The loss really cost PSU. They wound up in #1 seed UConn's bracket. The Huskies are undefeated and PSU will have to knock them off in Storrs (assuming that they get past Delaware in a rematch). Michigan, by virtue of their win, got a 3-seed and gets to host 1st and 2nd round games. They'll face Syracuse, then the winner of Louisville/NW. That's the spot that PSU likely would have had had they won the game.

Last edited:
I watched the first half of the game and 80% of the game was in UMich’s end of the field. I think the shots were in favor of PSU 7-1.

Tough loss.....gotta give UMich credit, 16 in a row is impressive in any sport.

They played a really good game, overcoming a questionable penalty corner that allowed Maryland to tie it up 2-2 with ten minutes remaining.

They now get Michigan for the championship. The Wolverines have been an absolute juggernaut for the last ten weeks. They have a 15 game winning streak going and have posted shutouts in 11 of those 15 games (one of which was a 3-0 shellacking of PSU here in State College).

I've said it all year long, but Michigan, Maryland, and PSU are all Final Four material. Unfortunately, the ACC has three teams you could say the same thing about (Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina). Here's hoping the NCAA sets their brackets up so that we can get some ACC/B10 battles rather than having the schools face teams within their own conference.
More than "questionable". That was a crap call all the way.

Ouch. The loss really cost PSU. They wound up in #1 seed UConn's bracket. The Huskies are undefeated and PSU will have to knock them off in Storrs (assuming that they get past Delaware in a rematch). Michigan, by virtue of their win, got a 3-seed and gets to host 1st and 2nd round games. They'll face Syracuse, then the winner of Louisville/NW. That's the spot that PSU likely would have had had they won the game.

I didn't watch the NCAA tournament show, but some of the seeds are rather curious. Duke lost in the ACC tourney semifinal to Louisville. Yet they got the #2 seed in the tournament. UNC won the ACC tourney, and ends up with the #4 seed.

While the NCAA only seeds the top 4, typically 4 is in the bracket with 5, 3 is in the bracket with 6, 2 is in the bracket with 7, and 1 is in the bracket with 8. If you follow from that, then the seeding is as follows:

1. UConn
2. Duke
3. UNC
4. Michigan
5. UVA
6. NW
7. Maryland
8. PSU

With only 18 teams in NCAAs, there aren't a lot of easy wins for any team.

You can see the full NCAA bracket at THIS LINK.

I didn't watch the NCAA tournament show, but some of the seeds are rather curious. Duke lost in the ACC tourney semifinal to Louisville. Yet they got the #2 seed in the tournament. UNC won the ACC tourney, and ends up with the #4 seed.

While the NCAA only seeds the top 4, typically 4 is in the bracket with 5, 3 is in the bracket with 6, 2 is in the bracket with 7, and 1 is in the bracket with 8. If you follow from that, then the seeding is as follows:

1. UConn
2. Duke
3. UNC
4. Michigan
5. UVA
6. NW
7. Maryland
8. PSU

With only 18 teams in NCAAs, there aren't a lot of easy wins for any team.

You can see the full NCAA bracket at THIS LINK.

You correctly stated that UNC was the four seed in your post but you placed them third in your list. Michigan got the three seed. Your seedings should read.

1. UConn
2. Duke
3. Michigan
4. UNC
5. UVA
6. NW
7. Maryland
8. PSU

I actually kind of wish that Michigan and UNC were the way that you listed them. I was hoping to see as many ACC/B10 matchups as possible. The way that it stands now, we are likely to get two intraconference matchups in the quarterfinals - Mich/NW and UNC/UVA. It would have been more fun to see UNC/NW, Michigan/UVA.

Duke is #1 in the RPI plus they were the only team other than UConn to receive first place votes coming into the weekend so it doesn't surprise me that much that they held onto the two spot.

Last edited:
PSU had a bye in R1 of the NCAAs. They played their R2 game today, against defending champion Delaware. The game went to OT, as it was tied 1-1 at the end of the regulation. PSU scored at 6:25 into OT to defeat Delaware, 2-1.

They will play UConn in the quarterfinals on Sunday (11/12). UConn defeated Boston U. in their R2 game today. UConn is seeded #1 in the NCAA bracket, and they will be hosting the game, so PSU will have quite a challenge to advance to the Final Four.

The B1G did rather well in their R2 games today. Northwestern defeated Louisville, 3-2, and Michigan defeated Syracuse, 1-0. Those two will meet tomorrow to see which advances from their bracket (Michigan is seeded #3). Maryland defeated Wake Forest, 2-0. They will face #2 seeded Duke tomorrow to see who advances from their bracket.

8286, thanks for posting. For additional details:

UConn scored the 1st goal just 4:46 into the game on a deflected shot off a penalty corner. UConn scored the 2nd goal of the game at the 17:58 mark on a redirection, to take a 2-0 lead. PSU called a TO. PSU scored at the 25:21 minute mark to get on the board, 2-1. They scored again at the 31:31 mark, on a penalty corner, to make the score 2-2. That was the score at halftime.

UConn again started strong in the 2nd half. They scored at the 46:05 mark, and again at the 51:06 mark, to take a 4-2 lead. PSU rallied with a score at the 51:06 mark to make it 4-3. @ 2 minutes later, PSU appeared to get another score to tie up the game. Unfortunately, after video review the goal was waved off. Over the remaining 17 minutes\ PSU had several chances, but they could not score the equalizer.

UConn was seeded # 1, and had not lost a game all season. PSU put a great battle, but came up short of advancing to the Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT