ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting PSU early leader for another transfer OL

check the arm length and reach, that can offset someone who is a bit short

Can they block????? 6'4 who can block > 6'8 who cant block.

Like I said, there are plenty of 6-4 guys who can play in college. We probably had 3+ of them under Franklin. Bates and Mahon both moved out to tackle when needed and played better than some of the 6'6 guys. Mangiro even moved out to OT from center because he was better than all the 6'6 guys on the roster.

Hate to be captain obvious here, but the picture shows him at center. The primary goal for Trautwein should be finding a pair of new starting tackles. Kick Wallace inside to guard. He’s naturally suited for the position.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hate to be captain obvious here, but the picture shows him at center. The primary goal for Trautwein should be finding a pair of new starting tackles. Kick Wallace inside to guard. He’s naturally suited for the position.

He's been a LT at WKU. This link says we are likely eyeing him for RT. 3 year starter.

He's been a LT at WKU. This link says we are likely eyeing him for RT. 3 year starter.
Original article above never stated which OL positions he could/would play. Just saw the article photo and assumed interior lineman. Glad to hear he’d play RT. Think Wallace is going to be a very good guard. Thanks for posting the article.

Last edited:
Original article above never stated which OL positions he could/would play. Just saw the article photo and assumed interior lineman. Glad to hear he’d play RT. Think Wallace is going to be a very good guard. That’s for posting the article.
No worries bud. Unless somebody has talked to our staff, any position thoughts is assumed. With all the talk about most of these kids knowing where they are headed before throwing their name in the portal, perhaps Tinsley aids us here, if the staff wants him.

No O lineman showing up this spring knows where he will line up. And most won’t know in early August. There is going to be a lot of experimenting, lots of movement. Anyone telling anything different is either blowing smoke or smoking something.

Reactions: rcy4499 and TheGLOV
Is Scruggs solid at C in opinions?
Could Nourzad play C? Tengwell?

Fashanu-Tengwell-Nourzad-Wallace-WKU Tr

Is Scruggs solid at C in opinions?
Could Nourzad play C? Tengwell?

Fashanu-Tengwell-Nourzad-Wallace-WKU Tr
Think there’s a good chance we see Scruggs at center, Nourzard/Wallace/Wormley at guard, and Fashanu/Tangwell at tackle. If Cole Spencer transfers to PSU and can play RT it would be a huge bonus. OT JB Nelson, Lackawanna transfer, could we the wild card in all this. I think he’ll likely redshirt his first year. But he’s one nasty SOB. I love his playing style. If he has the quickness to play OT he’ll be a huge addition. Moving Wallace away from RT will go along way toward PSU improving.

Last edited:
If the consensus of the experts here is that Spencer is too short, or we don't need another OL or he isn't capable of improving the play of the OL.....we had better get the message to the coaching staff. They don't know what the hell they're doing and they just might screw up again and waste a scholarship on him.

6’-4” 300 lbs is not to short to play OT in college. Smaller players need good quickness off ball, play with good pad level, leverage, good feet, and good technic. Good wing span can also make up for height.

Reactions: NedFromYork
With all of this talk of size, etc.....

We are not in a position to judge like we are at the combine looking for prototypical sized players. Can the ****ers run block and keep the DL off our QB? That is really all I care about.

If the consensus of the experts here is that Spencer is too short, or we don't need another OL or he isn't capable of improving the play of the OL.....we had better get the message to the coaching staff. They don't know what the hell they're doing and they just might screw up again and waste a scholarship on him.
Which experts said he was too short?

With all of this talk of size, etc.....

We are not in a position to judge like we are at the combine looking for prototypical sized players. Can the ****ers run block and keep the DL off our QB? That is really all I care about.
Agreed 👍 we have at least one Combine Superstar who is now an NFL star...but wasn't a great football player for State.

Mr. Smith is another likely candidate this year. Somehow I ended up looking at an article titled "5 Penn Staters Who the Cowboys Could Draft to Make Micah Happy." The piece raved about all of the physical stats and potential for Brandon, however it overlooked the proclivity to not tackle ball carriers.....

I'll take players who make plays for us since I'm much more a fan of PSU than any pro team. In fact I root for PSU players over my childhood favorites...potential and $2.50 will get you a ride on the subway.....

Reactions: CbusLion10
Agreed 👍 we have at least one Combine Superstar who is now an NFL star...but wasn't a great football player for State.

Mr. Smith is another likely candidate this year. Somehow I ended up looking at an article titled "5 Penn Staters Who the Cowboys Could Draft to Make Micah Happy." The piece raved about all of the physical stats and potential for Brandon, however it overlooked the proclivity to not tackle ball carriers.....

I'll take players who make plays for us since I'm much more a fan of PSU than any pro team. In fact I root for PSU players over my childhood favorites...potential and $2.50 will get you a ride on the subway.....
Reminds me of the Brandon smith vs the OTHER Brandon smith discussion. I’ll take the guy who played well for Penn State, NFL performance is secondary

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Reminds me of the Brandon smith vs the OTHER Brandon smith discussion. I’ll take the guy who played well for Penn State, NFL performance is secondary
It is OK to take some shots in recruiting that may not work out. The DT from Germany is an example where he maybe could have contributed. However 4-5 Stars who underperformed vs their potential are critical misses for us...leads others to believe we cannot develop talent. IMHO Allar and Singleton are Franklin's big shot. If they don't shine we will be perpetually stuck in the fight for 3rd in our division...

Reactions: CbusLion10
It is OK to take some shots in recruiting that may not work out. The DT from Germany is an example where he maybe could have contributed. However 4-5 Stars who underperformed vs their potential are critical misses for us...leads others to believe we cannot develop talent. IMHO Allar and Singleton are Franklin's big shot. If they don't shine we will be perpetually stuck in the fight for 3rd in our division...
And if Brandon Smith blows up in the NFL and actually plays like a LB it will make me wonder why he couldn’t work it out at PSU.

I guess that position coach is gone, but it’d be pretty crazy that an elite recruit couldn’t round into form during his years in college

And if Brandon Smith blows up in the NFL and actually plays like a LB it will make me wonder why he couldn’t work it out at PSU.

I guess that position coach is gone, but it’d be pretty crazy that an elite recruit couldn’t round into form during his years in college
Somewhat true, but the NFL is very specialized at times. If he is a liability on rushing downs, but excellent vs the pass then he can still excel without it being a detriment to our staff.

Scheme and personnel matter. Oweh going to a 3-4 team was highly beneficial to him.

Reactions: bison13
Somewhat true, but the NFL is very specialized at times. If he is a liability on rushing downs, but excellent vs the pass then he can still excel without it being a detriment to our staff.

Scheme and personnel matter. Oweh going to a 3-4 team was highly beneficial to him.
True and I love Oweh who was the best available for us at the time, but we want the players that WILL work in this scheme. If a player can’t be developed and effective in our 4-3, they shouldn’t be prioritized by the staff.

I want players that make plays for Penn State, even if they’re not NFL studs.

This board is loaded with experts. Just ask them.
Remember Quinn Barham. 6-2 and played pretty well at LT. How about Isaiah Wynn sp LT for the Patriots, 6-2 and a 1st rd draft choice.

He won’t. Too stiff and not a good tackler. Should of stayed and played with Manny.

ADVERTISEMENT