ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Canceling Season Tickets for Resale?

slykens

Nov 21, 2016
Saw this pop up on Twitter earlier.

Guy makes an excellent point - the University has put out a .500 product for the last two years and committed to the same for another ten then turns around and cancels ALL sports season tickets of customers they think resold too many of their tickets.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
This is a joke and I agree with Horne. Although he is the epitome of snarky and negative so I highly doubt he ever posts anything positive. He is on this podcast called the Obligatory PSU podcast and he is super negative about the program. He apparently is a former editor of Onward State whatever that is. He just comes across as bitter and surly all the time.

Saw this pop up on Twitter earlier.

Guy makes an excellent point - the University has put out a .500 product for the last two years and committed to the same for another ten then turns around and cancels ALL sports season tickets of customers they think resold too many of their tickets.

So someone who chose not to go to games due to covid this year and just sold their tickets for whatever price now doesnt have a chance to renew.....

I wonder if they are going after people who sold on third party sites (Stubhub, etc) as opposed to the "official" ticket resale site where PSU (and Ticketmaster) get a cut of the resale price. I would think resales on their own website would be at least tacitly viewed as a possible as they make more money that way.

I sold more games last year that we games we were able to attend. All through TM, so PSU got a cut.

I am able to renew. So…

So someone who chose not to go to games due to covid this year and just sold their tickets for whatever price now doesnt have a chance to renew.....
I am guessing they went back more than one year.

Why should it matter to them what you do with the stuff you bought with your hard earned money. WTF?
I could see them caring if the scalpers are hoarding large sections of prime seats. They have a vested interest in opening those seats to those who donate more than minimums required to hold the seats. I know it is a frustration of many that they can't improve their seats.

I am probably in the minority here, but I am 50/50 about this.

On one hand, there are plenty of people with prime seats that literally just buy them to sell at this point. It allows the 'little guy' like me who is serious about attending most of the games to get a better opportunity to move closer.

On the other hand, there are some people that might have sold all 2021 seats due to covid and if they only based it on one year, that is unfair. You should certainly be able sell a good majority of them without risk of being shut down.

In both cases, PSU gets their money anyway, so you can't help but to think they are genuine about saying they want to give those who actually care the opportunity to buy tix. Unless they are just jealous about the outrageous prices they go for.

I am probably in the minority here, but I am 50/50 about this.

On one hand, there are plenty of people with prime seats that literally just buy them to sell at this point. It allows the 'little guy' like me who is serious about attending most of the games to get a better opportunity to move closer.

On the other hand, there are some people that might have sold all 2021 seats due to covid and if they only based it on one year, that is unfair. You should certainly be able sell a good majority of them without risk of being shut down.

In both cases, PSU gets their money anyway, so you can't help but to think they are genuine about saying they want to give those who actually care the opportunity to buy tix. Unless they are just jealous about the outrageous prices they go for.
I agreed your first statement. I've been trying to move to lower seats in my section for years. But by the time my selection comes up. The seats are already chosen. I've got over 900 points so you would think I would have a good chance. I do think something should be done for those who buy only to resale for profit. but with the current situation we are in. What else could PSU do?

Reactions: step.eng69
All this is going to do is make people sell them off the Ticketmaster exchange. You can still transfer the tickets, so sell them on ebay. If they go after people transferring then they have a big problem.

I would prefer they look at the ticket policy around student tickets. It has been my experience that students are purchasing these tickets just to sell, while other students are left out in the cold in the crazy system PSU uses. Not to mention the scammers trying to take advantage of students who were not able to get tickets.

Same thing happened to my son who was refused the opportunity to renew season tickets to the Pittsburgh Pirates about 4 or 5 years back. I remember him saying that they considered him to be a broker. He sold maybe half of his dates (on Stubhub).

I would prefer they look at the ticket policy around student tickets. It has been my experience that students are purchasing these tickets just to sell, while other students are left out in the cold in the crazy system PSU uses. Not to mention the scammers trying to take advantage of students who were not able to get tickets.
Good point Lion409

Anybody remember when College Football used to be fun?????
I will be making two people happy. Two seats will become available on the 40 yard line. Attending games is just not enjoyable any more. And this is from a guy who has attended over 400 Penn State football games. After STEP broke up the community where I had been sitting for over 30 years, I moved to a new section. I have no idea who I am sitting near because we cannot converse over the piped in din.

Anybody remember when College Football used to be fun?????
I've said this before about sports in general. Sports used to be about the games, the scores, the stats, the actual competition. Now when you go to a sports website like ESPN or listen to the news it's all off the field crap. Let's test the theory. The top headlines on ESPN right now are:
  • Legal argument over UConn coach firing
  • MLB denying some sort of Montreal plan
  • Antonio Brown's mental health
  • NCAA constitution ratification
  • UFC bout arrangements
  • Robot umpires
  • Lonzo knee surgery and timeline to return
This is all a bunch of noise that has little to do with actual sports competition on the field/court/ring aside from maybe the UFC and Lonzo stories.

This isn't really an issue. You typically need to show a student ID when you get in the gates to the stadium so if you aren't a student, you probably aren't using a student ticket.

I've said this before about sports in general. Sports used to be about the games, the scores, the stats, the actual competition. Now when you go to a sports website like ESPN or listen to the news it's all off the field crap. Let's test the theory. The top headlines on ESPN right now are:
  • Legal argument over UConn coach firing
  • MLB denying some sort of Montreal plan
  • Antonio Brown's mental health
  • NCAA constitution ratification
  • UFC bout arrangements
  • Robot umpires
  • Lonzo knee surgery and timeline to return
This is all a bunch of noise that has little to do with actual sports competition on the field/court/ring aside from maybe the UFC and Lonzo stories.
I don't necessarily disagree with you however everything you mention in your second sentence is automated at this point and I kind of view it as a necessary evil that ESPN had to change their product to stay relevant. If they hadn't turned to the click bait / sensationalized media format they'd be the equivalent of MTV by now re-running lumberjack competitions to fill the airwaves 24/7. The reality is no one was watching them for scores and stats anymore because everyone could pull that info up instantly on their phones or maybe they already had alerts setup that they didn't even have to search online to get that info. You no longer have to sit through an hour of sports center, or watch the ticker, to find out scores/stats and see highlights. And to take it to the next level with the advent of streaming services folks can flat out watch whole games on their phones.

"Sports" is still about the things you mention - but the idea of sports journalism covering only the scores and stats has gone the way of the switchboard operator and bowling alley pinsetter.

Reactions: bytir
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT