ADVERTISEMENT

PSU BB: Watkins charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia

Different governing entity. So, different rules.
Oh, I understand the legal mechanism. It just seems fundamentally wrong and not in the best interests of Penn State or its students to continue arresting students for misdemeanor marijuana offenses when the legal risks are far more in line with the gravity of the offense for students who live in the borough.

To each there own, as far as the dope is concerned (IMO anyway)…… but one might think that the bigger picture issue ain't the dope.

How many folks have 40 caliber ammo on their person - but DON'T have a 40 caliber handgun?

He didn't have one at his residence. Technically you can have a weapon on campus, just it has to be stored at the PSU police department. There's nothing suspicious about having ammo (especially when it's just a couple bullets) yet no gun nearby.

Reactions: psu1969a
Jeff Nelson still works at Penn State? With all of the house cleaning that has taken place in the past 6+ years how is he still employed?

Reactions: step.eng69
Nelson is in the same role he's always been in, just they offloaded the football responsibilities to Kris Peterson

Nelson is in the same role he's always been in, just they offloaded the football responsibilities to Kris Peterson
Maybe I am unfairly targeting him - isn't he the guy who said Mo Humphrey is on the plane?

How many folks have 40 caliber ammo on their person - but DON'T have a 40 caliber handgun?

I'm not questioning where your comment is coming from, just pointing out some facts from why I might have some ammo for a gun I don't own.

There are ranges where you pay money, borrow a gun and shoot at targets. You can supply your own ammo or buy it from the range. Some choose to provide their own. Trop Gun shop in Elizabethtown for example.

I also have gone to the range with others and purchased rounds for different guns that they owned and I wanted to fire. It's really not that uncommon.

Jeff Nelson still works at Penn State? With all of the house cleaning that has taken place in the past 6+ years how is he still employed?
Hail to Ceasar, i was thinking the same.

48138969-portrait-of-a-classy-businessman-toasting-with-a-glass-of-whiskey-and-smoking-a-cigar-isolated-over-.jpg

There are some that surprise me a lot more than Jeff...Annie Troyan and Tommy Venturino come to mind.

Reactions: RGWhirly
I'm not questioning where your comment is coming from, just pointing out some facts from why I might have some ammo for a gun I don't own.

There are ranges where you pay money, borrow a gun and shoot at targets. You can supply your own ammo or buy it from the range. Some choose to provide their own. Trop Gun shop in Elizabethtown for example.

I also have gone to the range with others and purchased rounds for different guns that they owned and I wanted to fire. It's really not that uncommon.

I feel like you are really reaching here for why Watkins would have a few rounds of ammo given your example.

I feel like you are really reaching here for why Watkins would have a few rounds of ammo given your example.

As I said in the first paragraph, I wasn't questioning where norm's comment was coming from. Was just offering a literal answer to his question based on my own experience. It was not my intention to offer any sort of excuse for Watkins. Though it should be noted that what he did (with respect to the ammo) was certainly not illegal. So that part of this saga is a giant "whatever" in my opinion.

He didn't have one at his residence. Technically you can have a weapon on campus, just it has to be stored at the PSU police department. There's nothing suspicious about having ammo (especially when it's just a couple bullets) yet no gun nearby.

He's also got a concealed carry permit, so he's perfectly fine as long as the gun isn't in his vehicle or apartment.

He's also got a concealed carry permit, so he's perfectly fine as long as the gun isn't in his vehicle or apartment.

You should add "on campus" to that. He can have it in his car off campus.

As I said in the first paragraph, I wasn't questioning where norm's comment was coming from. Was just offering a literal answer to his question based on my own experience. It was not my intention to offer any sort of excuse for Watkins. Though it should be noted that what he did (with respect to the ammo) was certainly not illegal. So that part of this saga is a giant "whatever" in my opinion.
agreed. Bringing up the ammo sounds good and juicy in a tweet (like REAL BAD GUY) but it seems the real problem is the drug-related stuff. Whole thing seems like a lot made out of a little, except that his leash was short to begin with. And it wasn't smart for an athlete.

Remember when Tyler Reed and a few others got suspended from the team for shooting arrows into the wall in their on-campus apartment? THAT was STUPID.
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_3336d8de-2849-5054-8ab5-85f8cb6542d0.html

The marijuana not acceptable. The 40 cal shells and a potential unregistered gun not so good. I heard this story before. You're a Penn State athlete, act like it!!!!!! The streets of Philly. It's a G-thing. Will Mike be able to escape his past demons? We will see.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
The marijuana not acceptable. The 40 cal shells and a potential unregistered gun not so good. I heard this story before. You're a Penn State athlete, act like it!!!!!! The streets of Philly. It's a G-thing. Will Mike be able to escape his past demons? We will see.

Damn, I woulda thought a guy like you would be a big fan of the Second Amendment.

Well, there was no marijuana, and there was no gun, but he had a concealed carry permit.

Well, there was no marijuana, and there was no gun, but he had a concealed carry permit.
You are correct no marijuana,but paraphenelia. Law enforcement conducted a search for a reason. As far as possessing a concealed carry permit that would be lawful if you are carrying, but doesn't come into play in this situation. He is on law enforcement's radar. Why?

Different governing entity. So, different rules.
Law aside, my guess is that marijuana possession is a violation of team rules. I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins is benched for a few games.

You are correct no marijuana,but paraphenelia. Law enforcement conducted a search for a reason. As far as possessing a concealed carry permit that would be lawful if you are carrying, but doesn't come into play in this situation. He is on law enforcement's radar. Why?

Sounds like someone tried to rat out Mike for having a gun on campus. Which isn't illegal but it against PSU policy.

Sounds like someone tried to rat out Mike for having a gun on campus. Which isn't illegal but it against PSU policy.
I am not sure what brought law enforcement into play. unquestionably Mike is now being watched and creates a distraction/attitude for other athletes.

Law aside, my guess is that marijuana possession is a violation of team rules. I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins is benched for a few games.

They didn’t get him for marijuana possession...

The streets of philly getting him all the way down in Virginia.

So apparently our basketball center has a gun and is a likely marajuana user. I don’t care about the legal issues, but it’s the character issues that concern me. When you play for Penn State you are under a microscope and should conduct your life above reproach. This doesn’t strike me as the behavior of a model student athlete. It smells more like a street thug. Perhaps we would be better without him.

So apparently our basketball center has a gun and is a likely marajuana user. I don’t care about the legal issues, but it’s the character issues that concern me. When you play for Penn State you are under a microscope and should conduct your life above reproach. This doesn’t strike me as the behavior of a model student athlete. It smells more like a street thug. Perhaps we would be better without him.
If you view marijuana use as a character issue that warrants being kicked off of a team at Penn State, I have a pretty strong feeling that we won’t have too many student-athletes left to cheer for.

If you view marijuana use as a character issue that warrants being kicked off of a team at Penn State, I have a pretty strong feeling that we won’t have too many student-athletes left to cheer for.

Weed use is probably at 80% of ncaa football players. You get tested once a year and they tell you when the test is, and failing the test isn’t necessarily a problem.

Reactions: Raffycorn
Weed use is probably at 80% of ncaa football players. You get tested once a year and they tell you when the test is, and failing the test isn’t necessarily a problem.

You need to read all NCAA, conferences, and schools drug testing policies before spouting off this nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT