ADVERTISEMENT

PSU 2019 Recruiting Class Now Ranks No. 2 in Average Star Value

anacreon3

Gold Member
With Rivals now ranking Ta'Quan Roberson a 4-Star recruit, Penn State now ranks 2nd in Avg. Star Value, sandwiched between No. 1 Georgia and No. 3 Alabama. For comparison purposes I included B1G East rivals OSU, UM, and MSU. Oh, I omitted Kansas with an Average Star Value of 4.0 since it's based on 1 recruit, and chances are slim they will end up anywhere near a 4.0 average considering they managed to finish in the top 50 once in the last 5 years.

mWlch6b.jpg

With Rivals now ranking Ta'Quan Roberson a 4-Star recruit, Penn State now ranks 2nd in Avg. Star Value, sandwiched between No. 1 Georgia and No. 3 Alabama. For comparison purposes I included B1G East rivals OSU, UM, and MSU. Oh, I omitted Kansas with an Average Star Value of 4.0 since it's based on 1 recruit, and chances are slim they will end up anywhere near a 4.0 average considering they managed to finish in the top 50 once in the last 5 years.

mWlch6b.jpg
dbs
Fact is the 2 db commits for PSU ranked as 3 stars will be composite 4 stars before end of fall season.

Last edited:
Just for fun, you should include Pitt on your list. Still holding firm at zero point zero.
But Douchebag is trying. The offers they are now making are incredibly bad....low 3 stars, 2 stars, unrated 0 stars. He'll take anybody now. Each visitor is hyped by Peak saying how "wow" each kid was amazed by Pitt. Then they leave not to return. He's even having trouble with leftovers which has been on Pitt's diet the last few years. When this unrated Leslie kid committed to Pitt as a 190 lb LB, Duzzenberry hyped him on the Pitt site as if he was Lavar Arrington. Even the Pitt board members are trying Real Hard to find something good to say about this 1st commit.

To all you Pitt lurkers (and I know you're here as always): How do you f**king deal with this sinking Titanic? It's got to be depressing.

Reactions: ELDADDY

mWlch6b.jpg

Thanks for posting!!

I'm confused as to why the team rankings have Texas and Oregon ranked higher than PSU. All have 9 commits. Texas has no 5 stars, one more 4 star (7) than us and the same number(2) of 3 stars. Oregon has no 5 stars, the same number of 4 stars (6) and one more(3) 3 star. Our average star rating is higher than both.

Why are we ranked below them?

Reactions: ELDADDY

mWlch6b.jpg

By popular demand, I've included the 2019 PITT class on the revised recruiting chart.

CrllXXa.jpg

I'm confused as to why the team rankings have Texas and Oregon ranked higher than PSU. All have 9 commits. Texas has no 5 stars, one more 4 star (7) than us and the same number(2) of 3 stars. Oregon has no 5 stars, the same number of 4 stars (6) and one more(3) 3 star. Our average star rating is higher than both.

Not all 4 stars earn the same point value.

They hate us.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-football-team-recruiting-rankings-formula-1

Rivals Rating points + Rivals250 Bonus Points = Total Points

Note: Only the top 20 recruits in a team’s class are used in Rivals’ Team Rank system.

Note that our Ford has a 6.1 Rivals Rating Points. That is Rivals’ highest player rating. The PSU gets 150 Tram points for every player ranked 6.1.

Smith is a 5.9, which adds 120 points to the team total. The player ranking goes down to 5.2, which applies 15 Pts per player to the PSU total.

The higher the individual rating number, the more points for a team. Again only the top 20 recruits are included in Rivals’ Team Points total.

====

Plus, Rivals gives bonus points to a team for where a player ranks nationally in their Top 250 list. Their #1 over-all player gets the highest bonus. It scales down and ends at 250th recruit in the country.

Rivals only includes the top 20 recruits for each team.

Bottom line - Rivals’ Points system is what determines a team’s placement. It has a few different inputs, but does not include the number of stars as a direct input. Although the star system is a rough guide, the details make the difference.

The Rivals points system is spelled out on their site.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-football-team-recruiting-rankings-formula-1

Last edited:
Reactions: palmettolion

Also as a guide...

Rivals also assigns each player a number in their evaluation. Here's what they mean.

• 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
  • 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
  • 4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

ADVERTISEMENT