ADVERTISEMENT

PSA - Use Your Harnesses

Home tomorrow to continue recovery.
[/QUOTE]
That's good news, wishing you the best. I'll tell Granny, maybe she'll have some in-home rehab pointers for you.

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
Give me a couple weeks, and I'll be on it.
In the meantime, Tommy Spackler is available, though he specializes in gophers.

BvcSuf9CEAAZshY.jpg

Damn hope you get to feeling better soon, I'm sure that is no fun. I used to climb into fixed stands about 20 feet in the air in Iowa back in the day with no harness, that was 20 plus years ago. Now usually use ladder stands or if I do climb into a fixed stand my harness is the first thing I fasten. Speedy recovery!

The cable literally broke in half? If that's honestly the case I'd be contacting a lawyer.

I've had a stand collapse on me once just minutes after having my daughter in it with me just screwing off. Every friend I have who hunts from tree stands has taking some kind of spill.

Glad you're alright.

The cable literally broke in half? If that's honestly the case I'd be contacting a lawyer.

I've had a stand collapse on me once just minutes after having my daughter in it with me just screwing off. Every friend I have who hunts from tree stands has taking some kind of spill.

Glad you're alright.
While writhing on the ground, I wasn't trying to figure out exactly what happened. The stand is still lying there, waiting for me to come back for further inspection.

Now, assuming what I suspect is true, I believe the cable broke.

Defendant's first question: Were you wearing a harness?
A. No, I was only going to be up there for a minute.

Defendant's second question: When was the last you inspected the cables for wear or damage?
A. Well, um, I might have glanced at them once.

Defendant's third question: When you received the stand, did you watch the video that came with it? Yes. Follow-up: Did you see the info in the video about always wearing a harness and inspecting the cables on a regular basis? A. 😳

I'll let you know what I find out, though.

While writhing on the ground, I wasn't trying to figure out exactly what happened. The stand is still lying there, waiting for me to come back for further inspection.

Defendant's second question: When was the last you inspected the cables for wear or damage?

Defendant's third question: When you received the stand, did you watch the video that came with it? Yes. Follow-up: Did you see the info in the video about always wearing a harness and inspecting the cables on a regular basis? A. 😳

I'd send some to get the stand ASAP.

https://www.merkel-cocke.com/blog/defective-tree-stand-injuries-related-to-deer-hunting/

... Defendant's first question: Were you wearing a harness?

Don’t worry about all that. Just hire Flo Karen, and she can try to overwhelm the other side with BS. :)

Thank God you are okay. This happened to a friend of mine back in the mid 90s. He was just starting down when the band on his climber slipped and he fell to the ground with the stand attached to his feet. He broke his left ankle and had to hobble and crawl about 3/4 mile to his vehicle. It took him 2 hours to get to his vehicle then he ended driving home with his standard transmission in 2nd gear because he was unable to shift gears. He realized he had made a major mistake in picking a maple tree to climb.

Not always a fan of cell phones but they certainly come in handy when something like this happens and you can call for help.

Thank God you are okay. This happened to a friend of mine back in the mid 90s. He was just starting down when the band on his climber slipped and he fell to the ground with the stand attached to his feet. He broke his left ankle and had to hobble and crawl about 3/4 mile to his vehicle. It took him 2 hours to get to his vehicle then he ended driving home with his standard transmission in 2nd gear because he was unable to shift gears. He realized he had made a major mistake in picking a maple tree to climb.

Not always a fan of cell phones but they certainly come in handy when something like this happens and you can call for help.
For the last five years, I've been hunting deep in State Forests, with sketchy cell phone coverage and my wife only having a vague idea of where I was. I can't imagine getting out of there in the condition I was in. Fortunately, I changed location this year.

And I only carry enough arrows to fire a couple of sets of warning shots in the air, so EMS would have a hard time finding me. 🤣

Good thing it wasn't your fingers bc we would all wonder where you were.. Glad you'll recover in time.

Warning: OT

Just going to do this publicly. Otherwise, I'd be wasting what can be a learning experience for all.

I'm writing this from a recliner in a Danville rehab facility. Here's how I got here:

On Sunday afternoon I was getting ready for this morning's archery opener. As part of that, I chose the tree I was going to climb with my climber, attached the climber and proceeded to climb. No need for a harness, right? I was only going to be up for a few minutes, look around and get down. So, up I went. I got to hunting height, probably 15-17', did my looking and was about to start down, when the cable on the top part of the climber snapped. I fell backward, did some contortions in the air and landed on my left butt cheek.

After gathering my wits and assessing the situation, I called my wife, assuring her that nothing was life threatening, but to call a couple of her cousins near me and have them help me out. I was barely able to roll over, due to pain in the hip. A few minutes later, I admitted to myself that this was going to require professional help, so I called 911. Several minutes later, people started to arrive, assess, direct, etc. Following that, EMS arrived.

A backboard, hand-carry, 8-wheel ATV and ambulance ride carried me to Lewistown hospital, where I was diagnosed with multiple pelvis fractures, fractures of the sacrum, and a small brain bleed (I prefer that you read that as small brain-bleed, not small-brain bleed.). A helicopter ride carried me to Danville for further care. When you're strapped to a gurney, helicopter rides are no fun.

Fortunately, the brain bleed was small and the neurologists signed off on that Monday morning. Also, fortunately, none of the pelvic fractures were displaced, so no surgery is required. That being said, I'm a long way from fully recovered, but really have no idea how long that's going to take. I'm getting around with a walker, putting some weight on the injured leg, but am far from putting full weight on it. And, I'm missing the bow opener.

So, please wear your harnesses and encourage others to do so, as well, if you're going to be more than a few feet off the ground. I consider myself exceptionally lucky, but even these injuries are not worth the minute or two that it takes to put your harness on.

Take care and climb safely.

Defendant: "Your Honor I'd like to submit into evidence the following post made by plaintiff on the BWI Rivals forum on October 5th of 2020, for the purpose of impeaching plaintiff's sworn and verified complaint..."

Defendant: "Your Honor I'd like to submit into evidence the following post made by plaintiff on the BWI Rivals forum on October 5th of 2020, for the purpose of impeaching plaintiff's sworn and verified complaint..."
Another client of Flo Karen?

For the last five years, I've been hunting deep in State Forests, with sketchy cell phone coverage and my wife only having a vague idea of where I was. ...
TN is trying to signal past the censors that his “frayed” cable was a Deep State conspiracy! :)

Yeah, I get that, too. Hard to believe BWI has become so important in so many legal matters.

Tikk, I'm assuming you have now scratched pawrestlerintn from your list of guys helping you to move into the new place in State College. 📦📦📦

Get well Pa.

Reactions: tikk10
Warning: OT

Just going to do this publicly. Otherwise, I'd be wasting what can be a learning experience for all.

I'm writing this from a recliner in a Danville rehab facility. Here's how I got here:

On Sunday afternoon I was getting ready for this morning's archery opener. As part of that, I chose the tree I was going to climb with my climber, attached the climber and proceeded to climb. No need for a harness, right? I was only going to be up for a few minutes, look around and get down. So, up I went. I got to hunting height, probably 15-17', did my looking and was about to start down, when the cable on the top part of the climber snapped. I fell backward, did some contortions in the air and landed on my left butt cheek.

After gathering my wits and assessing the situation, I called my wife, assuring her that nothing was life threatening, but to call a couple of her cousins near me and have them help me out. I was barely able to roll over, due to pain in the hip. A few minutes later, I admitted to myself that this was going to require professional help, so I called 911. Several minutes later, people started to arrive, assess, direct, etc. Following that, EMS arrived.

A backboard, hand-carry, 8-wheel ATV and ambulance ride carried me to Lewistown hospital, where I was diagnosed with multiple pelvis fractures, fractures of the sacrum, and a small brain bleed (I prefer that you read that as small brain-bleed, not small-brain bleed.). A helicopter ride carried me to Danville for further care. When you're strapped to a gurney, helicopter rides are no fun.

Fortunately, the brain bleed was small and the neurologists signed off on that Monday morning. Also, fortunately, none of the pelvic fractures were displaced, so no surgery is required. That being said, I'm a long way from fully recovered, but really have no idea how long that's going to take. I'm getting around with a walker, putting some weight on the injured leg, but am far from putting full weight on it. And, I'm missing the bow opener.

So, please wear your harnesses and encourage others to do so, as well, if you're going to be more than a few feet off the ground. I consider myself exceptionally lucky, but even these injuries are not worth the minute or two that it takes to put your harness on.

Take care and climb safely.
Glad you’re doing ok, pawrestlersintn, best wishes with your recovery. The floor of my tree stand collapsed on me one fall many moons ago, and my shoulder has never been the same (from grabbing the rail in a panic on my way down). Take care.

Hope things are going well. In case you get bored, try a little bird watching.

Oh, and Tikk,
I have an assignment for you.
Lucky photographers there, getting what I imagine is a rare opportunity to shoot down into a valley at fighter jets. I wonder if they staged that for the purpose of getting the photos.

Damn hope you get to feeling better soon, I'm sure that is no fun. I used to climb into fixed stands about 20 feet in the air in Iowa back in the day with no harness, that was 20 plus years ago. Now usually use ladder stands or if I do climb into a fixed stand my harness is the first thing I fasten. Speedy recovery!
What. There aren't any deer in Iowa lmfao. I kid I kid.

Lucky photographers there, getting what I imagine is a rare opportunity to shoot down into a valley at fighter jets. I wonder if they staged that for the purpose of getting the photos.

I think that it is done on a regular basis, maybe annually. There are a whole series of Mach-Loop videos on Youtube

I heard that the whole photo shoot is in dispute, with some saying that airplanes were never invented and that any video evidence provided as proof has been doctored! :mad: ;)

UPS delivered a package today from high school friends and fellow PSU wrestling fans. I should have known CStroke and MrsCStroke would be up to something. The gift was a set of whiskey tumblers. And, here is one of them. Look closely.
enhance
Tumbler, indeed. Oof.

Thanks for posting this. I tell guys all the time to put on their harnesses whether they're hunting or working on a roof and they all say the same thing- "I'm really careful and won't fall". I always tell them that hospitals are full of people who are careful and don't fall.
No problem. I've become a harness evangelist. I know how lucky I am, and I'm not letting my luck go to waste.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
UPS delivered a package today from high school friends and fellow PSU wrestling fans. I should have known CStroke and MrsCStroke would be up to something. The gift was a set of whiskey tumblers. And, here is one of them. Look closely.
enhance
I have no recollection of this...
I’ve watched just enough of the “willie trials“ to use this as my answer.
And other than the return address I’m not sure there is an overwhelming amount of proof.

That's humorous, pa, but only since you are on the mend. Well done to whomever was party to the tumblers.

To you, your lovely wife, parents, and kids ... have an awesome Holiday Season (best possible given the situation we are all in) :(:).

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
That's humorous, pa, but only since you are on the mend. Well done to whomever was party to the tumblers.

To you, your lovely wife, parents, and kids ... have an awesome Holiday Season (best possible given the situation we are all in) :(:).
Thanks, Roar, and same to you and your family.

Someone missed your PSA. Very glad your outcome was much better.
Yeah, unfortunately I can't reach everybody, and even after I do reach them, they still don't listen. Heck, my physical therapist saw what I was going through, yet she told me that she had hunted without her harness one weekend.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Glad to hear you're gonna be ok. As much of a pain in the ass as it is....I always wear mine while climbing. If you want someone to go get that stand and figure out what happened let me know....i live in Lewistown and would be willing to help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT