ADVERTISEMENT

PSA - Use Your Harnesses

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
Warning: OT

Just going to do this publicly. Otherwise, I'd be wasting what can be a learning experience for all.

I'm writing this from a recliner in a Danville rehab facility. Here's how I got here:

On Sunday afternoon I was getting ready for this morning's archery opener. As part of that, I chose the tree I was going to climb with my climber, attached the climber and proceeded to climb. No need for a harness, right? I was only going to be up for a few minutes, look around and get down. So, up I went. I got to hunting height, probably 15-17', did my looking and was about to start down, when the cable on the top part of the climber snapped. I fell backward, did some contortions in the air and landed on my left butt cheek.

After gathering my wits and assessing the situation, I called my wife, assuring her that nothing was life threatening, but to call a couple of her cousins near me and have them help me out. I was barely able to roll over, due to pain in the hip. A few minutes later, I admitted to myself that this was going to require professional help, so I called 911. Several minutes later, people started to arrive, assess, direct, etc. Following that, EMS arrived.

A backboard, hand-carry, 8-wheel ATV and ambulance ride carried me to Lewistown hospital, where I was diagnosed with multiple pelvis fractures, fractures of the sacrum, and a small brain bleed (I prefer that you read that as small brain-bleed, not small-brain bleed.). A helicopter ride carried me to Danville for further care. When you're strapped to a gurney, helicopter rides are no fun.

Fortunately, the brain bleed was small and the neurologists signed off on that Monday morning. Also, fortunately, none of the pelvic fractures were displaced, so no surgery is required. That being said, I'm a long way from fully recovered, but really have no idea how long that's going to take. I'm getting around with a walker, putting some weight on the injured leg, but am far from putting full weight on it. And, I'm missing the bow opener.

So, please wear your harnesses and encourage others to do so, as well, if you're going to be more than a few feet off the ground. I consider myself exceptionally lucky, but even these injuries are not worth the minute or two that it takes to put your harness on.

Take care and climb safely.

Thanks, TN. Be alert for emergence of super powers. After such a mishap, people usually develop a power.

Funny you say that. When I was a kid, we were at a friend's family's farm and I fell from a hayloft (10 to 15 feet up) and landed directly on the top of my head onto the wood barn floor. I was uninjured (thank god for neck bridges) and found that I became very accurate at determining the time of day without a clock (like down to the minute) after that incident.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Is this the type of harness you recommend? :)

latest

Good luck with the rehab. I'm sure you'll be up an around in no time. About a month ago Granny took a fall, but not out of her treestand. The ER sent here home but after a visit with her Doc and an MRI a few days later she was admitted into the hospital with a hip fracture. About 3 days after surgery she was in rehab for about 10 days then came home. We might have to put her on a leash or GPS tracker because she tries to sneak outside with out a walker or cane as soon as anyone's back is turned. Granny turns 101 next month.

Just going to do this publicly. Otherwise, I'd be wasting what can be a learning experience for all.

I'm writing this from a recliner in a Danville rehab facility. Here's how I got here:

On Sunday afternoon I was getting ready for this morning's archery opener. As part of that, I chose the tree I was going to climb with my climber, attached the climber and proceeded to climb. No need for a harness, right? I was only going to be up for a few minutes, look around and get down. So, up I went. I got to hunting height, probably 15-17', did my looking and was about to start down, when the cable on the top part of the climber snapped. I fell backward, did some contortions in the air and landed on my left butt cheek.

After gathering my wits and assessing the situation, I called my wife, assuring her that nothing was life threatening, but to call a couple of her cousins near me and have them help me out. I was barely able to roll over, due to pain in the hip. A few minutes later, I admitted to myself that this was going to require professional help, so I called 911. Several minutes later, people started to arrive, assess, direct, etc. Following that, EMS arrived.

A backboard, hand-carry, 8-wheel ATV and ambulance ride carried me to Lewistown hospital, where I was diagnosed with multiple pelvis fractures, fractures of the sacrum, and a small brain bleed (I prefer that you read that as small brain-bleed, not small-brain bleed.). A helicopter ride carried me to Danville for further care. When you're strapped to a gurney, helicopter rides are no fun.

Fortunately, the brain bleed was small and the neurologists signed off on that Monday morning. Also, fortunately, none of the pelvic fractures were displaced, so no surgery is required. That being said, I'm a long way from fully recovered, but really have no idea how long that's going to take. I'm getting around with a walker, putting some weight on the injured leg, but am far from putting full weight on it. And, I'm missing the bow opener.

So, please wear your harnesses and encourage others to do so, as well, if you're going to be more than a few feet off the ground. I consider myself exceptionally lucky, but even these injuries are not worth the minute or two that it takes to put your harness on.

Oh, wow! Hope you are feeling better soon! By the way, many posters here would have suffered a large brain bleed with such a fall onto their butt cheek. 🤣

What hurts most, missing opening day or something else?
The vast majority of the time, missing opening day hurts worse than my pelvis. However, when I move too fast, or in the wrong direction, or put too much weight on it, the injured shoves everything else aside and lets me know it's the worst.

i feel like we can apply this advice to a lot of other protective devices: seat belts, face masks, athletic cups. they may be slightly uncomfortable and the odds that it will actually be put into use may be small, but it's worth it for the protection against catastrophic injuries.

get well soon!

Reactions: pawrestlersintn

I am thankful you are around to tell that story.

Wow, glad you will be ok and still have a sense pf humor about it. Shared the story with my wife, who you met after the one meet last year, she said prayers!

Yikes. I winced reading your post. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

Now for the burning question on BWI’s collective mind: does this help or hinder the prospect of KYPSW this season? 😜

Yikes. I winced reading your post. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

Now for the burning question on BWI’s collective mind: does this help or hinder the prospect of KYPSW this season? 😜
There should be no issues with KWSYPA this year.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Funny you say that. When I was a kid, we were at a friend's family's farm and I fell from a hayloft (10 to 15 feet up) and landed directly on the top of my head onto the wood barn floor. I was uninjured (thank god for neck bridges) and found that I became very accurate at determining the time of day without a clock (like down to the minute) after that incident.
Holy hell. matter is Jack Reacher.

I’m glad you’re going to be ok. I’m sitting in my groundblind watching the squirrels And turkeys all around me. No deer yet. I fell from a broken climber a few years ago so it’s no more climbing for me. You can’t see as well from the ground but I still have success. I wish you luck in your recovery.

The whole time that I'm reading the post I keep picturing the squirrels laughing and high fiving each other in that TV commercial.

The whole time that I'm reading the post I keep picturing the squirrels laughing and high fiving each other in that TV commercial.
Yesterday, a squirrel walked across the windowsill here at rehab and looked in my room. I'll bet he was reporting back to the Lewistown squirrels that I'm still in here.

Reactions: danoftw

GET WELL SOON!

Glad you had cell service and could get help. In the meantime, behave yourself and ease up on the nurses, your downstairs neighbors will thank you.

df33099893f103a98fa7e39fdd2172ba.jpg

Makes my story of getting a herniated disc in my lower back that left me in excruciating pain after any activity more vigorous than walking on a flat surface for 13 months because I was carrying a few logs inside to put in my wood stove seem even lamer than it already was. Best of luck in your recovery!

Last edited:
Makes my story of getting a herniated disc in my lower back that left me in excruciating pain after any activity more vigorous than walking on a flat surface for 13 months because I was carrying a few logs inside to put in my wood stove seem even lamer than it already was. Best of luck in your recovery!
And it makes my story of running into a burning orphanage and carrying out two kids under each arm while tearing my ACL rather pathetic! :)

Have a quick recovery, everyone!

Matter, your first sentence is a carbon copy of what happened to me summer of 69. Unfortunately for me i didn't fare as well as the resulting concussion and broken wrist kept me hospitalized for ten days. Glad you came out well. Sadly, no powers for me either.

ADVERTISEMENT