ADVERTISEMENT

Pry on a learning curve

His defense played well for most of the game then fell apart at the end.....sounds familiar. I stated in a prior posting that after 1 game I am trusting Diaz more than Pry.

His defense played well for most of the game then fell apart at the end.....sounds familiar. I stated in a prior posting that after 1 game I am trusting Diaz more than Pry.
I thought the same thing about Pry. He loosened up the d in the 4th quarters and was good for 1 -3 monumental collapses per year for us.

I really liked the guy and respected the defenses he fielded. That said, yes, the late game collapses were maddening. The 2 blitz concepts he ran never worked and were gamed for by opposing offenses 4 years ago. I don't know how good Diaz is, but I thought a change would be good generally. If your coordinators are not changing things on a yearly basis, at least adding new concepts/formations, then there is probably value in getting new coordinators every 2-3 years, honestly. At least the Big Ten will see some things from our defense they weren't prepared for ahead of time. To me, that seems to be a bigger and bigger part of offensive/defensive football. Especially if you don't have a team that has dominant and physical Offensive/Defensive lines(which we don't).

Reactions: Ski
I really liked the guy and respected the defenses he fielded. That said, yes, the late game collapses were maddening. The 2 blitz concepts he ran never worked and were gamed for by opposing offenses 4 years ago. I don't know how good Diaz is, but I thought a change would be good generally. If your coordinators are not changing things on a yearly basis, at least adding new concepts/formations, then there is probably value in getting new coordinators every 2-3 years, honestly. At least the Big Ten will see some things from our defense they weren't prepared for ahead of time. To me, that seems to be a bigger and bigger part of offensive/defensive football. Especially if you don't have a team that has dominant and physical Offensive/Defensive lines(which we don't).
Look at game 1 for the examples: That blitz by Dixon not only got home but basically produced the game winner, with Pry, no way his blitzes would have gotten home and Purdue might very well have had a real shot to win.

Imagine Pry thinking he knows football? He's gonna pay a steep price trying to coach without the NNNNNCAC to correct him.

Imagine Pry thinking he knows football? He's gonna pay a steep price trying to coach without the NNNNNCAC to correct him.
I'd imagine that a lot of coaches would pay that steep price to not have to hear the opinions of nutjob fans

I’m not sure when it started that so many fans think they know more than the coaches (in any sport).
Do plumbers critique surgeons?
I think it goes back to high school....I always said.....there are 2 kinds of guys, the football players and those that wish they could be. The NNNNNCAC are still trying to make the team.

Reactions: PearlandLion
I may have missed one, but I think VA Tech losing to ODU is the only Power 5 loss to a non Power 5 team so far this season.

As much as the late game D might have been a problem the 3 straight bombs the last possession the qb tossed were more troublesome to me. It’s like the qb walked into the huddle and drew the play on his hand pointing to each receiver to just run deep and “I’ll get it to you!” They only needed a FG and made no effort to use first downs to stop the clock and improve field position. Not ideal for Tyler Bowen.

Cupboard is pretty bare. Hooker is at UT, Robinson is at UK. Fuente didn't recruit VA hardly at all and with little success. They aren't at pre-Beamer levels, but probably close.

Cupboard is pretty bare. Hooker is at UT, Robinson is at UK. Fuente didn't recruit VA hardly at all and with little success. They aren't at pre-Beamer levels, but probably close.
Pry is trying to increase his profile and that of the program, but it's going to be a tough road. Fuente was all but invisible and many programs from outside have established a strong recruiting presence in the state, PSU among them. VT has potential; Beamer's success created an enthusiasm for more in the VT community. It will take time, and the same fan base that wants a strong program may not be willing to wait for it.

Pry is trying to increase his profile and that of the program, but it's going to be a tough road. Fuente was all but invisible and many programs from outside have established a strong recruiting presence in the state, PSU among them. VT has potential; Beamer's success created an enthusiasm for more in the VT community. It will take time, and the same fan base that wants a strong program may not be willing to wait for it.
Nobody's willing to wait in today's world of instant gratification. The days of allowing a coach to build a program with his recruits is over in major college football.

Reactions: AWS1022
If pry uses the portal effectively this year and gets into the three main Virginia hotbeds, Tidewater, Richmond and Northern Virginia, he will be fine.

Be like Michigan State and bring in 20 transfers........... not sure on the total number but I could not keep up on where the players were from on the telecast.......

Do plumbers critique surgeons?
I think it goes back to high school....I always said.....there are 2 kinds of guys, the football players and those that wish they could be. The NNNNNCAC are still trying to make the team.
Actually, lots of people (including plumbers) critique doctors and surgeons…all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT