ADVERTISEMENT

Proud Papa today: Daughter drops the news that she's giving the commencement speech at her High School Graduation this week. Then off to NYU Tisch..

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
I can't pinpoint my emotions from exhilarated, sad, proud, scared. Just Happy for her. She never has asked Mom or I for anything --to our dismay- in direction of life. We sometimes opine but she is an independent, unlike the two boys, who still need Mom at 12 and 13 to come in and put them down for bedtime. Crazy this world is. Gotta love it.

Shalom

I can't pinpoint my emotions from exhilarated, sad, proud, scared. Just Happy for her. She never has asked Mom or I for anything --to our dismay- in direction of life. We sometimes opine but she is an independent, unlike the two boys, who still need Mom at 12 and 13 to come in and put them down for bedtime. Crazy this world is. Gotta love it.

Shalom
Congratulations on your daughter's acceptance to NYU.
The boys...shouldn't they be experimenting with hand cream and a sock instead of being tucked in?

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Awesome awesome awesome. Tisch is big time. My daughter just finished sophomore year in Steinhart School in the Music Business program. Not sure how much opportunity you've had to visit but NYU is not a typical inner city campus, in fact there really is no campus. Dorms are hit and miss. My daughter stayed in Weinstein her first year then in a 5th floor walk up this past year with 2 other girls in east village. It has been really tough last 18 months but all indications are back to 100% normal this fall. I wish her all the luck in the world.

Shalom
You should be so proud. It takes hard work, dedication and consistency to raise a child that way.

I posted earlier today that I went to a commencement Sunday. They announced that they were forgoing the guest speaker this year to have the class valedictorian speak with expanded time. This kid, that looked like Screetch, was captain of two varsity sports, Summa Cum Laude, drama club, debate club, and morning speaker to announce daily events...oh yeah, he's an Eagle Scout as well. I was like "cool on him, but what am I going to learn? At least they could have had Coach Stafanski speak!"

The kid blew it up.

He spoke about the challenge of being a senior during a global pandemic and all that the class missed their senior year. Despite that, he listed the many accomplishments and school records achieved by the class members. he then went on to say that the experience of the global pandemic is actually better preparing them for life in that nothing is given, everything is earned. Then he said something like "if your heart is pure and your preparation thorough, it doesn't matter if you gain victory or experience defeat. It is the experience that has made you better for your next chapter in life". Great, great perspective from 17 year old.

ADVERTISEMENT