ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecutor (Frank Fina) who pursued Penn State officials faces questions over his tactics

Didn’t need charges
Just needed JS Indicated

Why didn't that happen?
It's not an accident Jerry got away in 1998. If we figure out who did what it would explain a lot of this mess.

Why didn't that happen?
It's not an accident Jerry got away in 1998. If we figure out who did what it would explain a lot of this mess.

Well Jerry Lauro insists he didn’t know JS was a pedo
The Doc said he was grooming
Then SOMEONE else called in a new Doc to change the diagnosis’s
- who was that ?

Check out Ray Blehar's new piece. I think he's getting very close to providing some key answers.

Reactions: didier
Well Jerry Lauro insists he didn’t know JS was a pedo
The Doc said he was grooming
Then SOMEONE else called in a new Doc to change the diagnosis’s
- who was that ?
Yes, who pulled the strings to cut out the Cresson office? My understanding is that Cresson had jurisdiction but then Harrisburg took over the case. I smell a rat. I would like to know Dr. Chambers take on this. Has she ever talked publicly about this?

Blehar names people and possible motives. I found it to be the most enlightening of his essays. It clearly demonstrates why PSU, Corbett and TSM officials and donors closed ranks and allowed PSU and its four unfortunates to burn, while they escaped scrutiny. One of the biggest scams was putting Lubert in charge of settlements. He also provides some insight into what happened to the "feds."

Dem -
Thinking out loud here, and curious if you have any thoughts on it....

CYS was and is woefully understaffed, undertrained, and, given that, over-authorized wrt power. And yet they seemingly whiffed at JS and TSM, when they may over-react on the side of caution to similar situations with the general population.

People in and around State College seem to talk about the whole case as complex as the interwoven relationships between the heart of personal wealth in the area and the PSU (incl. Corbett) and TSM BOTs; and yet as simple as the fact that one of the two people in power at TSM is a Genovese.

Thoughts, reactions?
The record of CYS in protecting children is anysmal even outside of this case. I take it you have heard of Jarrod Tutko, Jr.?

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/06/dauphin_county_children_servic.html

I agree that the root of the fiasco is institutional failure, I just happen to believe that the instituions that failed include the OAG, the governorship, and the judiciary. I believe the win at all cost mentality exhibited by Frank Fina, Joe McGettingan, Jonelle Eschbach, and Tom Corbett is the root of the problem.

CYS certainly could have handled the 98 incident better; but given the known facts of what happened, it is not at all clear that the incident had anything to do with sex. I believe that Ray Gricar made the correct decision at the time not to charge Sandusky.

Hard to tell whether or not Gricar made the right call in ‘98. I mean, as clear as it became later that Jerry Sandusky was not just cleaning kids off in the shower that would probably have been a tough case to convict on in ‘98. Even with McQueary’s eye witness testimony in the later case they had to go to how many grand juries (3? 2?) to get a conviction.
HMMMM, Gricar! Whatever became of the man?

Reactions: Connorpozlee
If only there was an investigative reporter who would ask this question.
I am pretty sure it was Jerry Lauro or his boss who rang in COUNSELOR (not doctor) John Seasock, who found nothing amiss.

Only one answer I need.

Who made the call to a “non-licensed” Doc to overrule the opinion of the Licensed Doc

At the time there was no licensing requirement, so they technically were both equal

I am pretty sure it was Jerry Lauro or his boss who rang in COUNSELOR (not doctor) John Seasock, who found nothing amiss.

I don't think it was DPW/Lauro. I think it's better to look at Centre County CYS - either the head of CYS at the time, Terry Watson, or the CYS case worker who worked the case, John Miller.

Lauro told Ganim he never even saw Seasock's report. From 3/22/2012 Ganim article one day before NBC released the 1998 police and psychologist reports
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/penn_state.html

Penn State “Detective [Ron] Schreffler never shared any of these with me,” Lauro said, referring to reports from psychologist John Seasock and a female psychologist. Seasock concluded that the boy was not sexually abused two days before the case was closed. The report of the female psychologist who evaluated the boy right after the incident found Sandusky was exhibiting signs of grooming a victim for sexual abuse.

According to the Moulton Report, the head of CYS at the time (Terry Watson, not named) and a CYS worker (presumably John Miller, not named) testified to the GJ on 4/14/2011. Notably - a GJ Order was issued that day preventing any of those witnesses from revealing their testimony. At p.77:
http://filesource.abacast.com/commo...EPORT_to_AG_ON_THE_SANDUSKY_INVESTIGATION.pdf

On April 14, the Grand Jury heard Sandusky-related testimony from six additional witnesses, including: Thomas Harmon, former director of the Penn State Police Department, who testified about department procedures, his reporting obligations to University officials, and the 1998 incident; a former director of Centre County CYS testified about the 1998 allegations and their referral to DPW because of a conflict of interest, as well as about the ChildLine expungement process; Z.K.'s mother, who testified about the 1998 incident involving her son; Tpr. Rossman, who summarized the Penn State Police Department report of the 1998 investigation and explained how he and Cpl. Leiter had obtained that report; and a former Centre County CYS worker and a former Penn State Police Department supervisor who each testified about their roles in the investigation of the 1998 allegations.

On April 14, before the Grand Jury began to hear testimony for the day, Fina sought and received a protective order from the supervising grand jury judge directing the witnesses not to disclose the fact or substance of their testimony to anyone other than their own attorneys.

Last point. Seasock's Report. It says the referral was made by John Miller of Centre County CYS. Also, at the top of the report it shows that Seasock faxed it to "Children and Youth Service" on May 21, 1998.
http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/Seasock_Sandusky_Report_Redacted1.pdf

4h2hz6.jpg

FYI - when I started putting these notes together I was only aware of Lauro's denial that he never saw Seasock's report. But after seeing Seasock's report, he said it was John Miller who called him in. But it's also possible Watson directed Miller to use Seasock. The point is - it's seems pretty clear the referral came from CYS.

I don't think it was DPW/Lauro. I think it's better to look at Centre County CYS - either the head of CYS at the time, Terry Watson, or the CYS case worker who worked the case, John Miller.

Lauro told Ganim he never even saw Seasock's report. From 3/22/2012 Ganim article one day before NBC released the 1998 police and psychologist reports
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/penn_state.html

Penn State “Detective [Ron] Schreffler never shared any of these with me,” Lauro said, referring to reports from psychologist John Seasock and a female psychologist. Seasock concluded that the boy was not sexually abused two days before the case was closed. The report of the female psychologist who evaluated the boy right after the incident found Sandusky was exhibiting signs of grooming a victim for sexual abuse.

According to the Moulton Report, the head of CYS at the time (Terry Watson, not named) and a CYS worker (presumably John Miller, not named) testified to the GJ on 4/14/2011. Notably - a GJ Order was issued that day preventing any of those witnesses from revealing their testimony. At p.77:
http://filesource.abacast.com/commo...EPORT_to_AG_ON_THE_SANDUSKY_INVESTIGATION.pdf

On April 14, the Grand Jury heard Sandusky-related testimony from six additional witnesses, including: Thomas Harmon, former director of the Penn State Police Department, who testified about department procedures, his reporting obligations to University officials, and the 1998 incident; a former director of Centre County CYS testified about the 1998 allegations and their referral to DPW because of a conflict of interest, as well as about the ChildLine expungement process; Z.K.'s mother, who testified about the 1998 incident involving her son; Tpr. Rossman, who summarized the Penn State Police Department report of the 1998 investigation and explained how he and Cpl. Leiter had obtained that report; and a former Centre County CYS worker and a former Penn State Police Department supervisor who each testified about their roles in the investigation of the 1998 allegations.

On April 14, before the Grand Jury began to hear testimony for the day, Fina sought and received a protective order from the supervising grand jury judge directing the witnesses not to disclose the fact or substance of their testimony to anyone other than their own attorneys.

Last point. Seasock's Report. It says the referral was made by John Miller of Centre County CYS. Also, at the top of the report it shows that Seasock faxed it to "Children and Youth Service" on May 21, 1998.
http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/Seasock_Sandusky_Report_Redacted1.pdf

4h2hz6.jpg

FYI - when I started putting these notes together I was only aware of Lauro's denial that he never saw Seasock's report. But after seeing Seasock's report, he said it was John Miller who called him in. But it's also possible Watson directed Miller to use Seasock. The point is - it's seems pretty clear the referral came from CYS.
Thanks Jimmy. My memory is no match for your research.

Jimmy first I very much appreciate your continued dedication to unraveling this tangled mess, unrivaled! Do you think Harmon, Miller or others testimony will be unsealed? It seems that after this long it would be appropriate. Then again I would guess that it depends on how damaging it is and to whom. Judging from past OAG actions one might surmise Fina seal this to not “ hurt his case” and keep the focus on Penn State.

Blehar names people and possible motives. I found it to be the most enlightening of his essays. It clearly demonstrates why PSU, Corbett and TSM officials and donors closed ranks and allowed PSU and its four unfortunates to burn, while they escaped scrutiny. One of the biggest scams was putting Lubert in charge of settlements. He also provides some insight into what happened to the "feds."
A rather thorough article by Blehar, well worth the reading.

Didn't they also have the threat of having an array of charges being re-filed against them if they chose to go to trial? I could be wrong on that, but I think I recall reading that.
If you did read that maybe someone will provide the reference, because that doesn't make sense to me, since Spanier only face the

I think the point is that at the time in PA (IIRC) you did not need to be a licensed psychologist to perform the duty that Seasock did. That doesn't mean it wasn't odd that they called him in after Chambers' report and it doesn't make it less of a red flag that they took the word of someone with lesser qualifications. So super shady yes, but Seasock's involvement (of itself) wasn't improper.

Ralph Cipriano has an excellent blog post on his bigtrial blog today entitled "A System of Justice 'Systematically Destroyed.'"

Lawrence J. Fox, a Philadelphia lawyer who's a visiting lecturer at the Yale Law School, is an expert on teaching legal ethics and professional responsibility.

And Fox has harsh words for the conduct of former Deputy Attorney General Frank Fina, the lead prosecutor in the Jerry Sandusky case, as well as for Cynthia Baldwin, the former Penn State counsel who represented three top Penn State officials before the grand jury investigating Sandusky. That was before Baldwin flipped, at the behest of Fina, to become a prosecution witness, and testify against her former clients, an act of betrayal that horrified Fox.

"When lawyers feign representation, but in fact abandon their clients, and worse yet, become instrumentalities of the state, aiding the prosecution of their clients, the entire system of justice is systematically destroyed," Fox wrote in a 2013 filing recently unsealed in Dauphin County Common Pleas Court.

Tomorrow at 10 a.m. in Philadelphia, Fox will be testifying as an expert witness on behalf of the state Supreme Court's Disciplinary Board, to make the case that former prosecutor Fina is guilty of professional misconduct. But for those of you who can't wait for the hearing, Fox's scathing opinions of the actions of Fina and Baldwin are laid out in the recently unsealed filing.

I hope the panel listens carefully to Fox's testimony, finds Fina guilty of professional misconduct, and then throws the book at him.

http://www.bigtrial.net/2018/06/a-system-of-justice-systematically.html

Hmmmm............

Now why would the Deputy Chief AG NOT want any 1998 testimony publicly known......

< she asks rhetorically>

Carry on

Ralph Cipriano has an excellent blog post on his bigtrial blog today entitled "A System of Justice 'Systematically Destroyed.'"

Lawrence J. Fox, a Philadelphia lawyer who's a visiting lecturer at the Yale Law School, is an expert on teaching legal ethics and professional responsibility.

And Fox has harsh words for the conduct of former Deputy Attorney General Frank Fina, the lead prosecutor in the Jerry Sandusky case, as well as for Cynthia Baldwin, the former Penn State counsel who represented three top Penn State officials before the grand jury investigating Sandusky. That was before Baldwin flipped, at the behest of Fina, to become a prosecution witness, and testify against her former clients, an act of betrayal that horrified Fox.

"When lawyers feign representation, but in fact abandon their clients, and worse yet, become instrumentalities of the state, aiding the prosecution of their clients, the entire system of justice is systematically destroyed," Fox wrote in a 2013 filing recently unsealed in Dauphin County Common Pleas Court.

Tomorrow at 10 a.m. in Philadelphia, Fox will be testifying as an expert witness on behalf of the state Supreme Court's Disciplinary Board, to make the case that former prosecutor Fina is guilty of professional misconduct. But for those of you who can't wait for the hearing, Fox's scathing opinions of the actions of Fina and Baldwin are laid out in the recently unsealed filing.

I hope the panel listens carefully to Fox's testimony, finds Fina guilty of professional misconduct, and then throws the book at him.

http://www.bigtrial.net/2018/06/a-system-of-justice-systematically.html

After reading this very good synopsis, and believing that both Baldwin and Fina should be severely punished, I am now quite certain the opposite will happen. This is, after all, Pennsylvania.

Hmmmm............

Now why would the Deputy Chief AG NOT want any 1998 testimony publicly known......

< she asks rhetorically>

Carry on
So, what ever happened with this:

"Attorney General Kathleen Kane, in one of her last actions before her law license suspension, assigned two agents to review decades-old grand juries for emails and other correspondence sent among judges, prosecutors and reporters, sources have told The Morning Call.

The focus, according to sources, is on grand juries overseen by Senior Judge Barry F. Feudale and prosecuted by a former deputy attorney general, Frank Fina, with whom she has feuded and blames for her legal problems."
http://www.mcall.com/news/nationwor...-secret-grand-jury-agents-20151027-story.html

Reactions: Bob78 and 91Joe95
At the time there was no licensing requirement, so they technically were both equal

Not my point

They had a licensed Doc who said that grooming was going on ...which was enough to “Indicate” JS!

Someone called in a non-licensed Doc to basically refute that .... WHO WAS THE PERSON WHO MADE THAT CALL?

Figure that ONE singular question out and I (actually anyone) can unravel the whole thing !

Who OFFICIALLY called Seasock in?

Not my point

They had a licensed Doc who said that grooming was going on ...which was enough to “Indicate” JS!

Someone called in a non-licensed Doc to basically refute that .... WHO WAS THE PERSON WHO MADE THAT CALL?

Figure that ONE singular question out and I (actually anyone) can unravel the whole thing !

Who OFFICIALLY called Seasock in?

John Miller from CYS did. But was he acting under orders from someone else?

Reactions: Bob78 and Zenophile
Being a FB board, Judas jumping from BOT to AD got a great deal of attention. Baldwin, a former Chair of the BOT (04-07),didn't get as much scrutiny for her connections to the slime.
After a brief 2 year stint on the Supreme Court, she landed at Duane Morris LLP.....she didn't last long there.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Bob78
He needed the pension. The guy knew how to look out for #1.
IMO he had an axe to grind from the time he was passed over for team physician. While his financial gain was a goal, the BOT needed Judas to spread fear and uncertainty in the AD and oversee the Freeh Inquisition.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Bob78
Jimmy first I very much appreciate your continued dedication to unraveling this tangled mess, unrivaled! Do you think Harmon, Miller or others testimony will be unsealed? It seems that after this long it would be appropriate. Then again I would guess that it depends on how damaging it is and to whom. Judging from past OAG actions one might surmise Fina seal this to not “ hurt his case” and keep the focus on Penn State.
I doubt that any grand jury testimony becomes public if it hasn’t already been made public. For that to happen, Feudale would have to approve it. And that’s especially doubtful for Harmon, Miller, Watson or anyone else that testified on or after the gag order that was in place on 4/14/2011.

So, what ever happened with this:

"Attorney General Kathleen Kane, in one of her last actions before her law license suspension, assigned two agents to review decades-old grand juries for emails and other correspondence sent among judges, prosecutors and reporters, sources have told The Morning Call.

The focus, according to sources, is on grand juries overseen by Senior Judge Barry F. Feudale and prosecuted by a former deputy attorney general, Frank Fina, with whom she has feuded and blames for her legal problems."
http://www.mcall.com/news/nationwor...-secret-grand-jury-agents-20151027-story.html

No idea. Phone calls & emails about ANYTHING related to our OAG, grand juries and the Supreme Court Task Force that is investigating on the entire mess go into a black hole. Last I spoke with one of the lawyers on this Task Force, I was informed they were still meeting and investigating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT