ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons from today...

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
As negative as this board can get, there were some bright spots to be found in an overall lackluster performance.
Pros:
1. Micah Parsons is living up to the hype. He was absolutely all over the field. People just assumed, because of his pedigree, he could move from DE to LB without a hitch, but it takes time to learn an entirely new position at D 1 Level. He's there now and he's a monster.
2. Noah Cain emerging as a North-South runner who can move the chains. Hope the rotation of backs narrows a bit going forward.
3. Stout - To say he's a weapon is a massive understatement.
4. Trent Gordon - I thought he looked really good. A lot of depth on the corners.
5. CJ Thorpe - Guy is a difference maker on the line. Needs to be in the majority of the time.
6. Our D only gave up 10 points. If we hold teams to 10 points, we'll win a lot of games.
7. We're 3-0. Better to learn lessons while winning, albeit ugly, than by losing.
Cons:
1. Our highly touted DEs appear to be somewhat overrated. Our inability to get any pass rush without blitzing (and sometimes even when blitzing) will hurt us this year.
2. Some of the playcalling on O was head-scratching, to be kind. No need to elaborate.
3. Our slow first half, again. This was a problem much of last year and for some reason, it's no different this year. Doesn't look likely to be fixed.
4. Inability to run out the clock, Hell, even to get a first down or two late in the game is troublesome.
All in all, not impressive, but we still have the talent and Defense to have a really fun year.
WE ARE!!!

Last edited:
Agree with just about all of that. Cain on a Milk carton after dominating that drive was the biggest thing for me.

The 2nd half team bs won't fly against the better teams on our schedule.

Other than OSU, nobody on our schedule looks like world beaters either.

I saw a series where Simmons was getting double-teamed. Somebody else has to win a one on one.

Blitzing Reid from the corner seems to be a waste of time. Nothing against Reid. It's just not working. Seems like he's coming from 40 yards away.

Chisena seems to bring a different dimension. Would like to see him get a few more chances.

And credit to the players for no stupid penalties. Pitt, the DBs especially, were doing their best work after the whistle.

I really like how Parsons is being used too - Pry is almost giving him the Polomalu treatment by moving him all over the field. He blitzed a lot today but also had some good moments trailing the WR/RBs out of the backfield.

I thought Johnson and Ellis also stepped up after struggling a bit last week.

Can Brown made the biggest play of the day for the defense on 3rd and goal. The RB easily scores there if he’s not on Pickett right away.

I thought DTs played spectacular - absolutely nothing for Pitt between the tackles.

The PIs on Reid were horseshit - he was on those WRs like glue. And both eventually led to Pitt continuing drives for points.

Agree about the DEs, not sure what’s going on there. Seems like a ton of raw talent but little production. They were better at holding contain against the run though today.

I’m not worried about the defense. But I will say that they aren’t as good as we will need them to be with how bad our offense is looking.

Re: Cons #3, slow starts are 90% scheming and play calls. It’s not clear how much flexibility Clifford has on routes, but when you go long for incompletions 2x a drive early, it completely kills them.

The staff needs to limit that within play calls so a rhythm develops and the young offense gets confidence early. Moving the chains underneath can also open things up downfield. It doesn’t always have to be vice versa.

Inability to run out the clock, Hell, even to get a first down or two late in the game is troublesome.

We aren't even really trying to run at all in the games it seems.

It should not be confusing. It's not who we are.

Additionally, we had two good drives all day. No offensive consistency at all.

Reactions: BBrown and Ughhh
Re: Cons #3, slow starts are 90% scheming and play calls. It’s not clear how much flexibility Clifford has on routes, but when you go long for incompletions 2x a drive early, it completely kills them.

The staff needs to limit that within play calls so a rhythm develops and the young offense gets confidence early. Moving the chains underneath can also open things up downfield. It doesn’t always have to be vice versa.
u r right on...the one drive they did look good they actually did some quick high percentage passes to get Clifford into a rhythm...ran the ball on first down instead of longer low percentage passes on 1st down so it was 2nd and manageable...also need to develop some sort of hot reads/routes when teams blitz...seemed like Clifford had nowhere to throw except long down the field too often...

Reactions: WestSideLion
Slow starts, inability to put the game away, inconsistent moving of the chains are becoming not just trends but hallmarks of the Franklin era. It doesn’t seem to matter who the players are, the problems are still the same.

Slow starts, inability to put the game away, inconsistent moving of the chains are becoming not just trends but hallmarks of the Franklin era. It doesn’t seem to matter who the players are, the problems are still the same.

You guys should try watching other football games sometimes. All teams struggle with these issues all the time

Our running game should be setting up the pass, and short and intermediate passes should be setting up the long ball. Right now the long ball isn't there. CJF said the hot hand carries , from what i saw it's Cain, Journey, Ford, Slade. When Slade went in after Cain, i almost felt it was a drive killer. Nothing against Ricky but Noah was the hot hand, also Journey hits that hole at 100 MPH.

I thought Pry called a bad game today. The blitzes being used rarely seemed to work. I can only remember one the many blitzes resulting in a sack by Jan Johnson. Often, the ball would go to where the blitz came from for positive yards. They needed to use Parsons like a spy on Pickett on long down and distance situations. The blitzes took many of our defenders entirely out of plays. Just like last week, Pitt converted a long 3rd down on a screen pass while we blitzed everybody. Pitt also went 3 for 3 on 4th downs today.
It’s a good thing we were playing Pitt, though. Against a decent offense we would have given up a lot more points and first downs.

Both were easy calls. He held the receiver both times and it wasn't even close. The second one was awful because he didn't need to hold him.

Sorry but at least 1 of those is flat out wrong. The wr tripped over his own feet or at the most got tangled in Reid's it was not PI or Defensive Holding.

Reactions: ralphster
Pitt played a good game......some of our difference makers are not off to a great start Matos, Shorter, Oweh, are not off to a great start but there is a lot of the year left to play. Matos does seem injured and Oweh is still learning the game. Shorter is the one that I have been somewhat disappointed in as he does not seem to get much separation.....he was supposed to be a physical specimen who runs great routes, who is very fast and has a great catch radius....have not really seen the route running nor the speed. He has caught what has been thrown to him.

Team have all gone to quick passes, guessed when we are going to blitz and killed us with the screen passes. DTs yesterday played the run very well, but did not get a significant amount of pressure and our DEs where just a second late in getting to the QB.

The week off should be able to allow us to heel up a bit, and for the coaches to analyze the similar attacks from Buffalo and Pitt, with the quick passes against zone and screens and misdirection plays against the blitz.

The OL played better in the 2nd half.....but their "increased aggressiveness" that they have been speaking about has not shown on the field to any great extent. Their ability to pick up stunts is shocking to me as the interior 3 are experienced players. Not sure Gonzales is quick enough to pick up DE blitzers......and would play Miranda and Thorpe more. The OTs seemed to play better, I do not remember a DE getting a free shot at Clifford from one of their guys.....it appears to be more of an issue with the guards and center.

Idaho game went easily, Buffalo showed they could run.....and we tightened up on that with Pitt....hopefully we can spend the time working on stunting DL, understanding the screen pass, throwing quicker passes to our WRs.

This team without injuries will improve through the season......I am not sure about improving enough with their schedule of Iowa, tOSU, MSU on the road and Mich at home.....all are going to be tough, with tOSU looking almost impossible with what they are doing this year.

The Pitt game had elements of some of the worst PSU losses.......when they added more time on the clock I thought about U of M game......when Brisker missed the interception I thought about MSU last year. But this team found a way to win....the stop on the one yard line was impressive.

As negative as this board can get, there were some bright spots to be found in an overall lackluster performance.
Pros:

7. We're 3-0. Better to learn lessons while winning, albeit ugly, than by losing.

WE ARE!!!

That's the key to me. I know I'll get bashed for this but beyond the record the stats that are important to me are points scored and points against. So far so good. But if I throw out the supposed scrimmages against Buffalo and Idaho, "points for" is definitely a problem

Funny thing about our lines: We were all worried about the offensive tackles. They seem fair. The interior offensive line is the bigger issue. On defense, we thought the DEs would be all world, and DTs would be suspect. The DEs suck so far, and the DTs are not great, but improving faster.

Sorry but at least 1 of those is flat out wrong. The wr tripped over his own feet or at the most got tangled in Reid's it was not PI or Defensive Holding.

At first I thought it was a BS call, but they actually called Reid for holding. At the beginning of the route Reid clearly held him when he made his first cut. The flag came out early if I remember correctly. Anyway as a PSU fan once I saw the replay I thought it was a hold and I wasn't that pissed about it.

At first I thought it was a BS call, but they actually called Reid for holding. At the beginning of the route Reid clearly held him when he made his first cut. The flag came out early if I remember correctly. Anyway as a PSU fan once I saw the replay I thought it was a hold and I wasn't that pissed about it.

No, the one I'm talking about was later in the game. The flag came in very late. It was tangled legs, thats all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT