ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons After the Central Michigan Game

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
So, I wasn’t surprised at all about the team having an emotional letdown after the huge performance at Auburn. It was expected. These kids are human, after all, not robots. They got away with a 19 point win despite a lackluster effort. Take the W and move on.
PROS:
1. Kaytron Allen - A coming out game for yet another stud freshman. Great vision, superb jump cuts, and always falls forward.
2. Zakee Wheatley - A flat out playmaker. Turnover machine. Expect to see he and Reed get more and more snaps moving forward.
3. Dani Dennis-Sutton - He’s coming on now. Remember he was not an early enrollee. He and Chop could be a phenomenal pass rush duo the next two years.
4. Brenton Strange - Getting better and better. Use that hurdle move sparingly though, young man.
5. No major injuries - Knock on wood 3x. This is huge.
CONS:
1. Kicking game. After making a nice 48 yarder last week, Pinegar whiffs on an easy 38 yd attempt. It’s a problem.
2. D Line wasn’t great today against the run. That will need to improve vs Big 10.
3. Some LB problems persist. Still need to get Carter and Jacobs on the field SIMULTANEOUSLY more regularly.

Last edited:
So, I wasn’t surprised at all about the team having an emotional letdown after the huge performance at Auburn. It was expected. These kids are human, after all, not robots. They got away with a 19 point win despite a lackluster effort. Take the W and move on.
PROS:
1. Kaytron Allen - A coming out game for yet another stud freshman. Great vision, superb jump cuts, and always falls forward.
2. Zakee Wheatley - A flat out playmaker. Turnover machine. Expect to see he and Reed get more and more snaps moving forward.
3. Dani Dennis-Sutton - He’s coming on now. Remember he was not an early enrollee. He and Chop could be a phenomenal pass rush duo the next two years.
4. Brenton Strange - Getting better and better. Use that hurdle move sparingly though, young man.
CONS:
1. Kicking game. After making a nice 48 yarder last week, Pinegar whiffs on an easy 38 yd attempt. It’s a problem.
2. D Line wasn’t great today against the run. That will need to improve vs Big 10.
3. Some LB problems persist. Still need to get Carter and Jacobs on the field SIMULTANEOUSLY more regularly.
Good summary. Don't sleep on Smith Vilbert either IF he ever gets back. Only a sophomore.

Edelson has to be replaced. WR were running crossing routes and he was running the wrong way. When he does run the right direction, he is five yards behind them. CM knew it and was taking advantage of it.

Reactions: bmac710
A second failed PAT in four games concerns me.

Aside from that… I was worried about a let down in this game after the high of the big win at Auburn and a week of national attention for it. It’s tough to win every game. And CMU is coming off a 9-win season with an impressive returning QB (60.4%-24-6 last season) and RB (1848-16 last season).

I’m happy with the 19 point win and 4-0 record. Look at the rest of the NCAA this week; we’re good.

PROS:
CONS:

Defense created 4 TOs and is now +10 in TO Margin for the season through 4 games. Shut CMU out in 2nd Half and held them to 88 rushing yards.

CMU looks like first or second best team in the MAC. PSU will become better after playing CMU as they exposed some of the issues that have been present this year.

Our DTs are light and penetrating, if you can avoid them in the backfield it is almost like every play becomes a draw.... I saw a number of plays where we penetrated, but left gaps up front and the LBs were not there to fill and CMU runner gets 7-10 yards on the run. Teams that try to run wide, we seem quite strong due to our DEs, Corners and Safeties.

The shallow crossing pattern was the one play where we could not stop throughout the game need better communication.

On offense we had RBs running in the flat with no one near them......against Purdue, Sean made that throw.....give our play makers a chance to make a play. the one time that he did throw it to Singleton he was being blanketed and Sean threw it anyway......for a 6 year guy he does seem to live and die by the pre snap read......until he starts running and then he does a better job of seeing the field.

CMU looks like first or second best team in the MAC. PSU will become better after playing CMU as they exposed some of the issues that have been present this year.

Our DTs are light and penetrating, if you can avoid them in the backfield it is almost like every play becomes a draw.... I saw a number of plays where we penetrated, but left gaps up front and the LBs were not there to fill and CMU runner gets 7-10 yards on the run. Teams that try to run wide, we seem quite strong due to our DEs, Corners and Safeties.

The shallow crossing pattern was the one play where we could not stop throughout the game need better communication.

On offense we had RBs running in the flat with no one near them......against Purdue, Sean made that throw.....give our play makers a chance to make a play. the one time that he did throw it to Singleton he was being blanketed and Sean threw it anyway......for a 6 year guy he does seem to live and die by the pre snap read......until he starts running and then he does a better job of seeing the field.

Cliff is just a very streaky thrower. Looked lights out against Auburn and to start the CMU game, then...... the switch flipped and he started throwing high all over the place again.

Cliff is just a very streaky thrower. Looked lights out against Auburn and to start the CMU game, then...... the switch flipped and he started throwing high all over the place again.
when he gets into over throw mode its god for 6-10 bad throws in a row. been same way his whole time at PSU

This is where you would like to see Yurcich call an easy throw just to get him back on the right side of the completions. I think he did (Singleton motioned out the defender read it, deflecting it), but the play didn't work. Perhaps you gotta keep calling something of the same ilk.

When you blitz every play you leave the shallow underneath wide open. Any decent QB should be able to hit quick passes in this area.

When you blitz every play you leave the shallow underneath wide open. Any decent QB should be able to hit quick passes in this area.
My hope is that the emergence of DDS and Chop will enable Manny to be just a bit more selective with the blitzes, as we will be able to get pressure rushing just four.

He got hit and then started getting happy feet and throwing off his back foot falling away.
Cliff holds the ball too long and locks in on one WR. Look how quick the CMU
QB got rid of the ball yesterday. They were killing us over the middle, let alone the TE on seam and corner routes. What happen to our TE Johnson; he was a killer running seam routes a year ago.

Cliff holds the ball too long and locks in on one WR. Look how quick the CMU
QB got rid of the ball yesterday. They were killing us over the middle, let alone the TE on seam and corner routes. What happen to our TE Johnson; he was a killer running seam routes a year ago.
Cliff is who he is. Never a great qb but can be a good qb. Looks a lot better behind a solid run game like we had in 2019.

Edelson has to be replaced. WR were running crossing routes and he was running the wrong way. When he does run the right direction, he is five yards behind them. CM knew it and was taking advantage of it.
Ever consider he had the back out and they were in MAN and that is where he should have been going? Didn't think so.

I wonder if the coaches are looking at this type of game as a tune up for themselves as well? With little risk of losing to a team like CMU, maybe Diaz is still trying to feel out what kind of pressure this defense can sustain and be successful using over the entire game. He's seeing how his defense will get exposed as the game goes on and will make adjustments in coaching strategy against the better teams. Michigan and OSU will pick us apart even more if we constantly blitz and never really disrupt the QB play.

Reactions: 81b&w
Actually, I neglected to give a shout out to Kalen King. Kid had a phenomenal game. Porter, Jr. gets all the hype, but King might wind up being better as a pure cover corner, and he’s close to being better right now.

Reactions: lazydave841
Ever consider he had the back out and they were in MAN and that is where he should have been going? Didn't think so.
He must have had the back out the "entire game" as he was totally lost in coverage as he has been all year! Make another "EXCUSE." Don't think there is one....

Did Mustipher do anything of note? He needs to step up his play as we hit the heart of the schedule. Quite possibly the injury has impacted him to the point that this is the level of play we will get out of him meaning all conference caliber is not attainable.

This is where you would like to see Yurcich call an easy throw just to get him back on the right side of the completions. I think he did (Singleton motioned out the defender read it, deflecting it), but the play didn't work. Perhaps you gotta keep calling something of the same ilk.
This is my main criticism of Clifford. He completely ignored the easy throw several times after his superb start. I think he was feeling really confident, which you want. But he made some poor decisions.

Reactions: lazydave841
I wonder if the coaches are looking at this type of game as a tune up for themselves as well? With little risk of losing to a team like CMU, maybe Diaz is still trying to feel out what kind of pressure this defense can sustain and be successful using over the entire game. He's seeing how his defense will get exposed as the game goes on and will make adjustments in coaching strategy against the better teams. Michigan and OSU will pick us apart even more if we constantly blitz and never really disrupt the QB play.
“Michigan and OSU will pick us apart even more if we constantly blitz and never really disrupt the QB play.”

Yep, it’s all on film.

Actually, I neglected to give a shout out to Kalen King. Kid had a phenomenal game. Porter, Jr. gets all the hype, but King might wind up being better as a pure cover corner, and he’s close to being better right now.
He had a really good game.

Reactions: NittanyChris
You don’t think that Michigan and TOSU will have every blitz Diaz used this year cut on film and scripted for practice?
We really haven't blitzed that much actually. 23 never comes, 11 has been sent twice, and we have sent 3 a few times. We can't blitz 43 because he can't run, and King really hasn't been sent either.

You don’t think that Michigan and TOSU will have every blitz Diaz used this year cut on film and scripted for practice?
If only we had a smart enough coach to know that and think to make some changes…maybe he will check with this board before those games.

If only we had a smart enough coach to know that and think to make some changes…maybe he will check with this board before those games.
Central Michigan had him figured out pretty well. Find which backer or Db is blitzing and throw to the vacated area. Instead of 10 to 15 yard gains, your probably looking at big plays vs better competition. If your going to blitz, you better get home or at least disrupt the qb’s throw.

Central Michigan had him figured out pretty well. Find which backer or Db is blitzing and throw to the vacated area. Instead of 10 to 15 yard gains, your probably looking at big plays vs better competition. If your going to blitz, you better get home or at least disrupt the qb’s throw.
Wow. Did you watch the same game I watched? He was literally chucking the ball as soon as he got it and I saw at least half a dozen flat out circus freak catches by CMU receivers.

We really haven't blitzed that much actually. 23 never comes, 11 has been sent twice, and we have sent 3 a few times. We can't blitz 43 because he can't run, and King really hasn't been sent either.
We blitz on almost every pass play and most running plays.

And I’m quite sure both offense and defense didn’t show much since it was CMU and they start conference play next week. I’m also sure we won’t see anything really “creative” next week either. You do what it takes to win and move on especially when you have the meat of your schedule coming up. Kent State had GA figured out better than anyone so far, do you think Missouri will have the same success next week?

PROS:
CONS:
I have another con that's based on my perception. Others might disagree so opinions are welcome.

CMU played a lot of downs with no safeties. In the past we speedy had WRs like Dotson and Hamler who could get open deep. Tinsley and Parker are both great WRs but I'm not sure they have the speed to beat defenders deep.

If they don’t; they should be fired My guess is Penn State will have film on Michigan and OSU. Geez.

I have another con that's based on my perception. Others might disagree so opinions are welcome.

CMU played a lot of downs with no safeties. In the past we speedy had WRs like Dotson and Hamler who could get open deep. Tinsley and Parker are both great WRs but I'm not sure they have the speed to beat defenders deep.
Evans does.

Absolutely. I sure would like the see at least one deep ball his way this week just to have that on tape to give d coordination one extra issue

If you get him in the game for 15+ snaps, perhaps.

The way he's been used so far, probably not so much.

Agree about the deep ball though. If he's our fastest WR, slip him in there, wide and slot. Post and fly. Develop him.

ADVERTISEMENT