ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons after the Auburn game

If you can’t overcome something that doesn’t go your way early in the first quarter, you don’t deserve to win. So if a guy drops a TD pass in the first quarter, I guess the team should pack it in and call it a game. Maybe Franklin didn’t fear Auburn’s offense, so he wasn’t too worried about it….turns out he would have been correct.

Exactly. The benefits of the risk-taking far outweigh the downside if you have supreme confidence in your defense/team. Auburn probably doesn't even get a FG if the b1g clowns called the obvious and blatant False Start on Auburn's key 3rd Down play in the drive that extended it in the series immediately preceeding the FG. It was a 30 yard swing in field position on that play.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU87
So last year Franklin opted to not go for it from a similar position on the opening series at MSU and some moronic sportswriter ripped him not going for it claiming that decision “led” to MSU then going 99 yards to make it 14-0 MSU after the team downed the punt on the 1 yard line.
The key word is “sportswriter”

G
Obviously a LOT more Pros after a very impressive performance, but here's what I got:
Pros:
1. The Offensive Line - Definite, solid improvement in an outstanding performance. Even when Singleton wasn't using his speed to break off big runs, this line was making holes. On Clifford's run TD, massive hole. For several Kaytron Allen runs, massive holes. And this was against some really good D Linemen on Auburn.
2. Nick Singleton - What can you say? Kid's speed is off the charts. Burst we haven't had in years. Makes the whole offense much harder to defend.
3. Abdul Carter - Led the team in tackles, had a sack and forced a fumble. Explosive tackler. Kid is the next great LB in a long line.
4. PJ Mustipher - I think he was outstanding and answered any remaining questions about coming off major surgery.
5. Chop Robinson - Guy was constantly in the backfield disrupting plays. He may not quite be AK, but another massive score for Franklin and staff out of the portal.
6. Brenton Strange - Really great game and blocking improving.
7. Clifford - Appeared to have a little more poise under pressure, less happy feet. Fantastic game.
8. J Pinegar - Rebounded from a bad game last week. 48-yard FG was impressive. Hopefully, he gets in a groove.
Cons:
1. The RT issue is not resolved. Wallace is a very good run blocker but he got beat again by a speed rusher and had a blatant holding penalty. Might have had other holding, too, I think. Is Effner the answer? Maybe. Is there any chance Drew Shelton can get a shot at significant reps? Don't know.
2. D Hardy - He can get exposed in coverage. Often gets beat and is scrambling to catch up. The good news is we have tons of outstanding depth in the secondary.
3. Franklin with another moronic game decision going for it on our side of the field on the very first drive, essentially spotting the other team 3 points. It made no difference in the game, but that doesn't excuse the stupid choice. I'm a huge Franklin fan and I was very happy he got the extension, however, his in-game coaching choices remain an opportunity for growth.

All in all, ecstatic after this game! An amazing performance against a solid SEC team in a tough environment. Of course it's CMU, CMU, CMU, for the team, but as a fan it's starting to get exciting thinking of a top 10 matchup with scUM in October!

WE ARE!!!
Given all of the Auburn transfers I'm not sure they had any good DL men left.

Many of these posters are fools - you can't just look at the ones that fail. CJF is playing the probabilities (no different than always hitting on 16) - what about the success in the Purdue game? We might have lost the Purdue game if he doesn't go for it on 4th-&-short at midfield.

CJF is actually showing confidence in his Defense - probabilities say you will probably fail in that situation 20%-30% of the time, but the risk is worth it due to results of 70% successes and if your defense can limit the success of the other team on the fails. PSU had Auburn 3rd-&-6 directly after the fail, but the b1g clowns didn't call a blatant False Start by Auburn on the 3rd Down play (which ends up going for +24 yards without the flag - i.e., a 30 yard swing in field position and Auburn doesn't have to face a 3rd-&-11). Auburn may not have scored at all on that drive without the help of the anti-PSU b1g clowns.
That Purdue 4th down was @ much more critical juncture in the game that necessitated the risk.

He doesn’t see them as mistakes just as Paterno didn’t see playing conservative as a mistake. I’m quite certain Franklin isn’t going to read this board and see that the posters think it’s a mistake and suddenly change his style.
I just want Franklin to look at the number of times he has failed to get the first down in his own territory and think "maybe I ought to punt!"

It’s easily the best game Psu has played the last 4 years, James has to stop being stupid during the game make the other team beat you

I just want Franklin to look at the number of times he has failed to get the first down in his own territory and think "maybe I ought to punt!"
He has, but he’s also gone for it. I’m watching the Giants vs Panthers and Matt Rhule went for it on 4th and 2 from his own 49 in the first quarter and made it. He then was going to go for it again in the same situation in the second quarter, but a false start penalty made him punt it. It’s a coaching philosophy that many coaches have.

You are 100% correct about the bonehead decision to go for it on 4th down in PSU territory. Winning the game masks how bad that coaching decision was at the beginning of the game. The logical thing to do was to punt the ball, get great field position, and force Auburn’s struggling QB to make a mistake. In addition, you don’t spot Auburn 3 points up front. Again, a pure bonehead football decision that made no sense.
A “pure bonehead decision” seems way over the top to me. 4th and 1 from your own 47 is really out of line? Really?

A “pure bonehead decision” seems way over the top to me. 4th and 1 from your own 47 is really out of line? Really?

He keeps highlighting "going for it in his own territory".... The ball was basically at midfield. There are tons of coaches that go for it in this situation (i.e., field position and distance) - they go routinely because if you're going to play NPV of the percentages, you have to do the the same thing every time you face the situation to make it pay off over time.

He has, but he’s also gone for it. I’m watching the Giants vs Panthers and Matt Rhule went for it on 4th and 2 from his own 49 in the first quarter and made it. He then was going to go for it again in the same situation in the second quarter, but a false start penalty made him punt it. It’s a coaching philosophy that many coaches have.
And most people want Rhule fired...no?

Most that post here would trade JF for Rhule tomorrow (which is why he mentioned Rhule for comparison).
Oh--okay I got you. Before he went to Carolina I would understand that. Penn State ties and he did well at Baylor but not now.

You are 100% correct about the bonehead decision to go for it on 4th down in PSU territory. Winning the game masks how bad that coaching decision was at the beginning of the game. The logical thing to do was to punt the ball, get great field position, and force Auburn’s struggling QB to make a mistake. In addition, you don’t spot Auburn 3 points up front. Again, a pure bonehead football decision that made no sense.
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.
PSU wins by 29 and some are still bitching

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.
PSU wins by 29 and some are still bitching
See the posts about the officiating. Some people complain no matter what.
Discussing the decision-making that went into the 4th and short decision isn't complaining. Whether you or I or anyone agrees with it or not doesn't matter--it is philosophy. The scary part though is Franklin doesn't seem capable of considering all factors and just goes by the book. That will eventually bite you.

See the posts about the officiating. Some people complain no matter what.
Discussing the decision-making that went into the 4th and short decision isn't complaining. Whether you or I or anyone agrees with it or not doesn't matter--it is philosophy. The scary part though is Franklin doesn't seem capable of considering all factors and just goes by the book. That will eventually bite you.

"The scary part though is Franklin doesn't seem capable of considering all factors..." - LMAO, typical bs moronic post. Now you're the Football God second-coming of Vince Lombardi who is the judge-&-jury on coaching capabilities and decision-making. Rather amazing given that your sorry a$$ has never even coached (or played) a game at any level. Just such a blowhard moron troll....

"The scary part though is Franklin doesn't seem capable of considering all factors..." - LMAO, typical bs moronic post. Now you're the Football God second-coming of Vince Lombardi who is the judge-&-jury on coaching capabilities and decision-making. Rather amazing given that your sorry a$$ has never even coached (or played) a game at any level. Just such a blowhard moron troll....
You continually get proven time and time again yet you call me a moron. I have zero respect for you and don't care what you say.

After this many years, why people are surprised he goes for it on those situations is beyond me….he’s going to do it because that’s his style of coaching. Agree or disagree he doesn’t do it because he panics (as some posters said) or because he’s a bad game day coach, he does it because he’s adopted that style. There is a high school coach who never punts no matter what. I don’t agree with it and there are some times it’s utterly stupid (IMO), but it works more often than not and he wins. You can disagree with Franklin on these decisions (and I often do too), but don’t say it’s because he’s a bad coach or that maybe he will learn, it’s what he’s going to do. Much like Paterno always played conservative and relied on his defense…that didn’t always work out and that cost us games as well, but we just had to accept it.
He goes for it because the analytics say to go for it. I hate it but the stats say it is better to go for it. I think that you have to consider momentum and giving the D a long field to used to Auburn.

You are a moron, and a posing troll. You definitively prove it every time you open your silly mouth.
You're confused again. You still think beating Purdue was impressive. I said we'd win easily against Auburn and when we did you're still mad.

I think it's funny there's a handful of people here that believe they control this board and people have to agree with them even though they're clueless. Guess you and the other people that used to suck up to Phil and Tom on this site aren't used to being questioned.

Reactions: blair10
He goes for it because the analytics say to go for it. I hate it but the stats say it is better to go for it. I think that you have to consider momentum and giving the D a long field to used to Auburn.
He knows you're right--he's just doubling down on this because he and a couple others can't acknowledge when they're obviously wrong

You're confused again. You still think beating Purdue was impressive. I said we'd win easily against Auburn and when we did you're still mad.

I think it's funny there's a handful of people here that believe they control this board and people have to agree with them even though they're clueless. Guess you and the other people that used to suck up to Phil and Tom on this site aren't used to being questioned.

Best not to respond to Bushie. He's overly enthusiastic fan. You can't even agree with him if you word it differently.

Reactions: PAgeologist
One weak spot yesterday was losing contain of the quarterback, especially on those 3rd and longs. If you send guys and play man you cannot let the QB get free. Getting free up the middle like yesterday is something to work on. But, when you have to look for things to complain about, it was a pretty good game.

The thing is you have to be consistent in your decision making to make probabilities pay off over time. So if you're going to punt at midfield, do you punt on the plus side of the field but still to far to kick FG? What do you do at opponent 45 yard line? How about the 40? What do you do from the opponents 35 - always try the 52 yard FG? If you miss your opponent is going to get very good field position, so do you punt because it's on the road?

One weak spot yesterday was losing contain of the quarterback, especially on those 3rd and longs. If you send guys and play man you cannot let the QB get free. Getting free up the middle like yesterday is something to work on. But, when you have to look for things to complain about, it was a pretty good game.

Yeah, PSU lost "gap discipline" several times in 1H, but not at all in 2H. May have been a topic of focus at halftime.

Yeah, PSU lost "gap discipline" several times in 1H, but not at all in 2H. May have been a topic of focus at halftime.
Well, that is an improvement. This team has sucked at half time adjustments the last few years.

But getting a sizable lead against a power running team forces them to do things they are weak at, like pure passing plays. Certainly that had something to do with the improvement.

Reactions: lazydave841
Both Bushie and Lando take beating the dead horse to another level. State your opinion and move on. And you are correct in that even if you agree with them they will argue with you.
When have I ever argued with someone who agreed with me? lol

Best not to respond to Bushie. He's overly enthusiastic fan. You can't even agree with him if you word it differently.
I just can't believe people here allow him to believe he dictates what others think--must be missing something with the dynamic. It just reminds me of way back in the day when Tom and Phil could be proven wrong and would still argue. Both still think Golden is our HC.

Well, that is an improvement. This team has sucked at half time adjustments the last few years.

But getting a sizable lead against a power running team forces them to do things they are weak at, like pure passing plays. Certainly that had something to do with the improvement.

But we didn't build the big lead until 3rd QTR - it was only 14-6 at Half and Auburn got the 2H Kick.

I just can't believe people here allow him to believe he dictates what others think--must be missing something with the dynamic. It just reminds me of way back in the day when Tom and Phil could be proven wrong and would still argue. Both still think Golden is our HC.

I don't think the new mods pay much attention to him. He probably drives traffic to the board. He probably should be warned bc he calls everybody a moron if you dispute anything he writes, but nobody particularly let's him do anything.

Reactions: blair10
I don't think the new mods pay much attention to him. He probably drives traffic to the board. He probably should be warned bc he calls everybody a moron if you dispute anything he writes, but nobody particularly let's him do anything.
Gotcha--appreciate the clarification

Truthfully Auburn never had a chance in that game due to their QB play. Just have to take care of business the next two weeks then we'll see how Franklin adjusts/adapts when it matters against Michigan.

But we didn't build the big lead until 3rd QTR - it was only 14-6 at Half and Auburn got the 2H Kick.
Correct. But 2 tds vs 2 field goals is a big difference. Auburn had to feel some pressure there. The ability for PSU to punch a ball into the end zone when they couldn't had to have some effect. Perhaps Auburn panicked too soon? Who knows.

The game seemed it had the potential for an ass beating. And proved to be true.

After this many years, why people are surprised he goes for it on those situations is beyond me….he’s going to do it because that’s his style of coaching. Agree or disagree he doesn’t do it because he panics (as some posters said) or because he’s a bad game day coach, he does it because he’s adopted that style. There is a high school coach who never punts no matter what. I don’t agree with it and there are some times it’s utterly stupid (IMO), but it works more often than not and he wins. You can disagree with Franklin on these decisions (and I often do too), but don’t say it’s because he’s a bad coach or that maybe he will learn, it’s what he’s going to do. Much like Paterno always played conservative and relied on his defense…that didn’t always work out and that cost us games as well, but we just had to accept it.
Yeah, that damn Paterno knew nothing about winning football games…

Have to agree re Hardy...he needs ti sit until he gets thru this slump. Hasn't looked good all season.
He’s the weak link. Opponents are always going to pick on the weakest DB. Until a better “weak link” is identified …. Hardy is our guy. We know he is at least adequate. Perhaps he has some sort of leg issue that we don’t know about. Everyone else behind the LB’s looks stout, so some schematic solution would seem to be available to Manny.

Y'all watch. He is going to shock us with a trick play from that formation. Not sure what it is or how it will look but we will all love it when it happens.

Y'all watch. He is going to shock us with a trick play from that formation. Not sure what it is or how it will look but we will all love it when it happens.
This is absolutely coming. I don't know if it will be a "trick play" per se, but they are going to run some other plays out of that formation at some point.

Reactions: Texas Lion
ADVERTISEMENT