ADVERTISEMENT

Pros and Cons after the Auburn game

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Obviously a LOT more Pros after a very impressive performance, but here's what I got:
Pros:
1. The Offensive Line - Definite, solid improvement in an outstanding performance. Even when Singleton wasn't using his speed to break off big runs, this line was making holes. On Clifford's run TD, massive hole. For several Kaytron Allen runs, massive holes. And this was against some really good D Linemen on Auburn.
2. Nick Singleton - What can you say? Kid's speed is off the charts. Burst we haven't had in years. Makes the whole offense much harder to defend.
3. Abdul Carter - Led the team in tackles, had a sack and forced a fumble. Explosive tackler. Kid is the next great LB in a long line.
4. PJ Mustipher - I think he was outstanding and answered any remaining questions about coming off major surgery.
5. Chop Robinson - Guy was constantly in the backfield disrupting plays. He may not quite be AK, but another massive score for Franklin and staff out of the portal.
6. Brenton Strange - Really great game and blocking improving.
7. Clifford - Appeared to have a little more poise under pressure, less happy feet. Fantastic game.
8. J Pinegar - Rebounded from a bad game last week. 48-yard FG was impressive. Hopefully, he gets in a groove.
Cons:
1. The RT issue is not resolved. Wallace is a very good run blocker but he got beat again by a speed rusher and had a blatant holding penalty. Might have had other holding, too, I think. Is Effner the answer? Maybe. Is there any chance Drew Shelton can get a shot at significant reps? Don't know.
2. D Hardy - He can get exposed in coverage. Often gets beat and is scrambling to catch up. The good news is we have tons of outstanding depth in the secondary.
3. Franklin with another moronic game decision going for it on our side of the field on the very first drive, essentially spotting the other team 3 points. It made no difference in the game, but that doesn't excuse the stupid choice. I'm a huge Franklin fan and I was very happy he got the extension, however, his in-game coaching choices remain an opportunity for growth.

All in all, ecstatic after this game! An amazing performance against a solid SEC team in a tough environment. Of course it's CMU, CMU, CMU, for the team, but as a fan it's starting to get exciting thinking of a top 10 matchup with scUM in October!

WE ARE!!!

Last edited:
Obviously a LOT more Pros after a very impressive performance, but here's what I got:
Pros:
1. The Offensive Line - Definite, solid improvement in an outstanding performance. Even when Singleton wasn't using his speed to break off big runs, this line was making holes. On Clifford's run TD, massive hole. For several Kaytron Allen runs, massive holes. And this was against some really good D Linemen on Auburn.
2. Nick Singleton - What can you say? Kid's speed is off the charts. Burst we haven't had in years. Makes the whole offense much harder to defend.
3. Abdul Carter - Led the team in tackles, had a sack and forced a fumble. Explosive tackler. Kid is the next great LB in a long line.
4. PJ Mustipher - I think he was outstanding and answered any remaining questions about coming off major surgery.
5. Chop Robinson - Guy was constantly in the backfield disrupting plays. He may not quite be AK, but another massive score for Franklin and staff out of the portal.
7. Clifford - Appeared to have a little more poise under pressure, less happy feet. Fantastic game.
8. J Pinegar - Rebounded from a bad game last week. 48-yard FG was impressive. Hopefully, he gets in a groove.
Cons:
1. The RT issue is not resolved. Wallace is a very good run blocker but he got beat again by a speed rusher and had a blatant Holding penalty. Might have had other holding, too, I think. Is Effner the answer? Maybe. Is there any chance Drew Shelton can get a shot at significant reps? Don't know.
2. D Hardy - He's can get exposed in coverage. Often gets beat and is scrambling to catch up. The good news is we have tons of outstanding depth in the secondary.
3. Franklin with another moronic game decision going for it on our side of the field on the very first drive, essentially spotting the other team 3 points. It made no difference in the game, but that doesn't excuse the stupid choice. I'm a huge Franklin fan and I was very happy he got the extension, however, his in-game coaching choices remain an opportunity for growth.

All in all, ecstatic after this game! An amazing performance against a solid SEC team in a tough environment. Of course it's CMU, CMU, CMU, for the team, but as a fan it's starting to get exciting thinking of a top 10 matchup with scUM in October!

WE ARE!!!
Have to agree re Hardy...he needs ti sit until he gets thru this slump. Hasn't looked good all season.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I was thrilled about the kicking team given what we had seen. Seems like it might not be a concern after all.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Pros:
Cons:
1. The RT issue is not resolved. Wallace is a very good run blocker but he got beat again by a speed rusher and had a blatant holding penalty. Might have had other holding, too, I think. Is Effner the answer? Maybe. Is there any chance Drew Shelton can get a shot at significant reps? Don't know.
2. D Hardy - He can get exposed in coverage. Often gets beat and is scrambling to catch up. The good news is we have tons of outstanding depth in the secondary.

WE ARE!!!
After this many years, why people are surprised he goes for it on those situations is beyond me….he’s going to do it because that’s his style of coaching. Agree or disagree he doesn’t do it because he panics (as some posters said) or because he’s a bad game day coach, he does it because he’s adopted that style. There is a high school coach who never punts no matter what. I don’t agree with it and there are some times it’s utterly stupid (IMO), but it works more often than not and he wins. You can disagree with Franklin on these decisions (and I often do too), but don’t say it’s because he’s a bad coach or that maybe he will learn, it’s what he’s going to do. Much like Paterno always played conservative and relied on his defense…that didn’t always work out and that cost us games as well, but we just had to accept it.

The main positives for me was one, the OL was actually creating some holes for the running game, especially near the endzone. And two, Clifford didn't make any boneheaded throws.

Three negatives: one, giving up the 2 3rd/longs. Two, don't have a real deep threat and WRs aren't getting good separation. Three, the playcalling/tempo was way too lackadaisical after the Auburn turnovers.

Reactions: NittanyChris
After this many years, why people are surprised he goes for it on those situations is beyond me….he’s going to do it because that’s his style of coaching. Agree or disagree he doesn’t do it because he panics (as some posters said) or because he’s a bad game day coach, he does it because he’s adopted that style. There is a high school coach who never punts no matter what. I don’t agree with it and there are some times it’s utterly stupid (IMO), but it works more often than not and he wins. You can disagree with Franklin on these decisions (and I often do too), but don’t say it’s because he’s a bad coach or that maybe he will learn, it’s what he’s going to do. Much like Paterno always played conservative and relied on his defense…that didn’t always work out and that cost us games as well, but we just had to accept it.
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with being surprised. It has EVERYTHING to do with can you learn from your mistakes and improve or do you stubbornly stick to your "style" despite poor results? I'd like to think he can learn from his mistakes.

Exactly. I don't think it is just him. You watch any game and lots of coaches are making same choices. This is a metrics decision. We have to live with it. I focus on true bonehead calls like 2020 Indiana late TD debacle or Michigan fake FG last year.

-On Chop, he is more disruptive than Arnold because he pushes OL back into QB. He takes away pocket space and still gets hands on QB. AE was fast but would bend to get sacks. He could be pushed out of position. Chop? Not so.

-Strange's block on Nick's long 57 yard run to start 3rd was pure beauty. Have not seen that manhandling at TE for many games.

Reactions: furfoot
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with being surprised. It has EVERYTHING to do with can you learn from your mistakes and improve or do you stubbornly stick to your "style" despite poor results? I'd like to think he can learn from his mistakes.
This--it is fine that it's "Franklin's style" but every once in a while he needs to think "Auburn's offense is pathetic. Clifford just took a huge shot. Let's force them to go 80+ yards".

Against a better team that type of decision can cost us the game.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
He doesn’t see them as mistakes just as Paterno didn’t see playing conservative as a mistake. I’m quite certain Franklin isn’t going to read this board and see that the posters think it’s a mistake and suddenly change his style.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Exactly. I don't think it is just him. You watch any game and lots of coaches are making same choices. This is a metrics decision. We have to live with it. I focus on true bonehead calls like 2020 Indiana late TD debacle or Michigan fake FG last year.

-On Chop, he is more disruptive than Arnold because he pushes OL back into QB. He takes away pocket space and still gets hands on QB. AE was fast but would bend to get sacks. He could be pushed out of position. Chop? Not so.

-Strange's block on Nick's long 57 yard run to start 3rd was pure beauty. Have not seen that manhandling at TE for many games.
Yep, it’s just like analytics in baseball….many managers now live and die by them whether we agree with it or not and they’re not going to “learn from their mistakes”.

He doesn’t see them as mistakes just as Paterno didn’t see playing conservative as a mistake. I’m quite certain Franklin isn’t going to read this board and see that the posters think it’s a mistake and suddenly change his style.
We can go back and forth on this all day, but analytics are most useful when combined with some just plain common sense. Not when blindly followed without being mindful of other relevant factors. I'll leave it at that and this will be my last post on this topic. Agree to disagree, as they say.

Many of these posters are fools - you can't just look at the ones that fail. CJF is playing the probabilities (no different than always hitting on 16) - what about the success in the Purdue game? We might have lost the Purdue game if he doesn't go for it on 4th-&-short at midfield.

CJF is actually showing confidence in his Defense - probabilities say you will probably fail in that situation 20%-30% of the time, but the risk is worth it due to results of 70% successes and if your defense can limit the success of the other team on the fails. PSU had Auburn 3rd-&-6 directly after the fail, but the b1g clowns didn't call a blatant False Start by Auburn on the 3rd Down play (which ends up going for +24 yards without the flag - i.e., a 30 yard swing in field position and Auburn doesn't have to face a 3rd-&-11). Auburn may not have scored at all on that drive without the help of the anti-PSU b1g clowns.

The issue with the 4th down call, for me, wasn't the going for it choice. It was the play call. You DO NOT USE THE SAME PLAY YOU'VE SHOWN A LOT WITH A QB WHO JUST GOT RUN OVER BY A FREIGHT TRAIN 30 SECONDS EARLIER. Pick any other play call--especially like a handoff to 10--and I would've been ok with it.

Ever notice how it's always the wrong play call if it doesn't work?
It's the wrong play if the probability of it working is low. In that circumstance, where he was just pummeled, you don't rush him out there to carry the workload. Clearly he was fine for the duration of the game. But that prior play had to have shook him a bit.

The issue with the 4th down call, for me, wasn't the going for it choice. It was the play call. You DO NOT USE THE SAME PLAY YOU'VE SHOWN A LOT WITH A QB WHO JUST GOT RUN OVER BY A FREIGHT TRAIN 30 SECONDS EARLIER. Pick any other play call--especially like a handoff to 10--and I would've been ok with it.
What about the old adage of keep doing it until someone stops it? Had he run something different and it didn’t work, posters on here would be saying he was a fool for not running a play that’s worked every time. Monday morning coaching is easy. Actually making the game time decision in a handful of seconds with thousands of screaming fans all around is a little more difficult.

It's the wrong play if the probability of it working is low. In that circumstance, where he was just pummeled, you don't rush him out there to carry the workload. Clearly he was fine for the duration of the game. But that prior play had to have shook him a bit.
Unless it didn’t.

So, who was head coach in 94...
Paterno adapted his game to the personnel.... conservative when he needed to be and wide open when he had the horses ...

Reactions: BudatPSU
It's not even the play call--it's everything around the circumstances. Auburn's offense is inept as he knows, Clifford just took a huge hit, it's early in the game, etc

Nothing is as simple as you always go for 4th and short or you always kick on 4th and 5. It's situational.

Unless it didn’t.

Exactly. Cliff popped straight up and showed no sign whatsoever of being shaken up. Cliff went directly to the huddle - these people who keep saying Cliff was hurt after the play are talking out of their ass - there is ZERO evidence that supports these claims.

Why would a staff of division one coaches run a play "if the probability of it working is low?"
Isn't it possible they have more data than we do?
They also have a cadre of trainers and physicians on the sidelines.....who apparently were not concerned with Clifford's ability to function at that point.

So, who was head coach in 94...
Paterno adapted his game to the personnel.... conservative when he needed to be and wide open when he had the horses ...
He didn’t adapt much and even when he had the HD spread, they went conservative against OSU, Michigan, Iowa, etc. so from 67 to 93 he didn’t change and then he changed when he had possibly the best offense of all time, and then reverted back until the mid 2000’s and that’s an example of a coach adapting? Of course, my point was just that going for it in those situations is what Franklin will do, it’s not poor coaching, it’s his coaching philosophy (as well as many others) and we just need to hope they pick more of them up.

It's not even the play call--it's everything around the circumstances. Auburn's offense is inept as he knows, Clifford just took a huge hit, it's early in the game, etc

Nothing is as simple as you always go for 4th and short or you always kick on 4th and 5. It's situational.

No moron, it depends where the 4th and less than one occurs. Probabilities suggest it is to your benefit to go for it at midfield, but to make probabilities pay off, you have to do the same thing every time. The probabilities change if you're at your own 20 in a 4th and less than one situation.... - probabilities say you should punt in that situation based on a net-scoring basis (i.e., how many points you give up of fails versus number of points you score on successfully extended drives. Obviously, you will give up points on virtually 100% of fails from deep in your own field-position, while scoring on a low percentage of drives even if you're successful from deep in your own territory.). You don't even mention the most important variable in the decision-making for such a situation - what is the field-position. The variables and probabilities suggest going for it was the correct call. Always such an idiot with your hindsight 20/20 vision.

Agree, but I would not have done it in a big game away. If you don't make it you've just ignited the crowd.

I posted concern last week about using that formation and then doing the same thing instead of a variation. Lot of lead blocking runs can be done. Can go off tackle. I like the formation.

Running that play in the previous two games, I thought we were setting up to run a variation and then it didn't happen. Call me surprised, and disappointed. It wasn't like 2nd and goal. It was 4th down and a full yard to go at mid-field.

Enough big positives did happen to blot this one out. #10 seems ahead of where Barkley was as a freshman.

Agree, but I would not have done it in a big game away. If you don't make it you've just ignited the crowd.

I posted concern last week about using that formation and then doing the same thing instead of a variation. Lot of lead blocking runs can be done. Can go off tackle. I like the formation.

Running that play in the previous two games, I thought we were setting up to run a variation and then it didn't happen. Call me surprised, and disappointed. It wasn't like 2nd and goal. It was 4th down and a full yard to go at mid-field.

Enough big positives did happen to blot this one out. #10 seems ahead of where Barkley was as a freshman.

You raise a good point about igniting the crowd. I wonder if anyone has looked at the stats segregated for home vs away (i.e., the net point impact if you go for it every time). I also think the numbers have to be normalized for doing it against Top 25 defenses versus your average Joe-Shmoe team. I think the combination of it being on the road and Auburn having a top run defense might swing the probabilities.

Strange was awful in run blocking last season. I am very happy to see the immense improvement. Kudos to him and the staff for making this effort to improve that part of his game.

Excellent post.

So last year Franklin opted to not go for it from a similar position on the opening series at MSU and some moronic sportswriter ripped him not going for it claiming that decision “led” to MSU then going 99 yards to make it 14-0 MSU after the team downed the punt on the 1 yard line.

Pros:
Cons:

WE ARE!!!

You are 100% correct about the bonehead decision to go for it on 4th down in PSU territory. Winning the game masks how bad that coaching decision was at the beginning of the game. The logical thing to do was to punt the ball, get great field position, and force Auburn’s struggling QB to make a mistake. In addition, you don’t spot Auburn 3 points up front. Again, a pure bonehead football decision that made no sense.

Reactions: pennstatefan111
No moron, it depends where the 4th and less than one occurs. Probabilities suggest it is to your benefit to go for it at midfield, but to make probabilities pay off, you have to do the same thing every time. The probabilities change if you're at your own 20 in a 4th and less than one situation.... - probabilities say you should punt in that situation based on a net-scoring basis (i.e., how many points you give up of fails versus number of points you score on successfully extended drives. Obviously, you will give up points on virtually 100% of fails from deep in your own field-position, while scoring on a low percentage of drives even if you're successful from deep in your own territory.). You don't even mention the most important variable in the decision-making for such a situation - what is the field-position. The variables and probabilities suggest going for it was the correct call. Always such an idiot with your hindsight 20/20 vision.
It is not just where you are on the field. There's countless factors that always go into play. And this has nothing to do with hindsight. I agree with the majority of Franklin's fourth down decision even when they don't work. This one was a mistake--even if he makes it I'd be saying it was a mistake and you'd be calling be a moron for that. No matter how wrong you continually are (see Purdue) you continue to attack because you simply aren't knowledgeable.

Don't forget the kickoff that missed a 53 yard wide target from standing in the middle of it!

So last year Franklin opted to not go for it from a similar position on the opening series at MSU and some moronic sportswriter ripped him not going for it claiming that decision “led” to MSU then going 99 yards to make it 14-0 MSU after the team downed the punt on the 1 yard line.
I mean, was the sports written Jones? If so, take it for what it's worth. That reporter is an idiot even if it isn't Jones

I wouldn't defend that writer, and can't remember the circumstances, but the team at that point had 4 losses, and it was the final regular season game.

There was a lot more on the line yesterday.

You are 100% correct about the bonehead decision to go for it on 4th down in PSU territory. Winning the game masks how bad that coaching decision was at the beginning of the game. The logical thing to do was to punt the ball, get great field position, and force Auburn’s struggling QB to make a mistake. In addition, you don’t spot Auburn 3 points up front. Again, a pure bonehead football decision that made no sense.

"In PSU territory".... LMAO, the ball was at midfield (PSU 49). Hindsight is 20/20 - you can't judge this type of decision in a vaccum. You know you're not going to convert 100% of them, but the probabilities pay off if you make the same decision every time. If CJF doesn't make the same decision in Purdue game, we probably lose that game. You hindsight 20/20 couch-coaches crack me up.

You gotta give Auburn credit for putting a tall WR in the slot. Good adjustment to our Nickelback scheme. It worked twice before we began to move Porter into the slot vs the tall WRs. Also, another adjustment was we put Tig in at essentially Mike LB / intermediate safety. Led to his INT.

the b1g clowns didn't call a blatant False Start by Auburn on the 3rd Down play (which ends up going for +24 yards without the flag - i.e., a 30 yard swing in field position and Auburn doesn't have to face a 3rd-&-11).

3rd and 11+ was Auburn's best friend yesterday. I'll stick with the 3rd and 6.

If you can’t overcome something that doesn’t go your way early in the first quarter, you don’t deserve to win. So if a guy drops a TD pass in the first quarter, I guess the team should pack it in and call it a game. Maybe Franklin didn’t fear Auburn’s offense, so he wasn’t too worried about it….turns out he would have been correct.

You gotta give Auburn credit for putting a tall WR in the slot. Good adjustment to our Nickelback scheme. It worked twice before we began to move Porter into the slot vs the tall WRs. Also, another adjustment was we put Tig in at essentially Mike LB / intermediate safety. Led to his INT.

3rd and 11+ was Auburn's best friend yesterday. I'll stick with the 3rd and 6.

LMAO, yea a 30 yard field position swing resulting from a ridiculous non-called blatant False Start by the anti-PSU b1g clowns worked out in PSU's favor - whatever you say b1g-hugger troll.

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT