ADVERTISEMENT

Props to Drew Shelton

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
Great piece from the front page

One of Penn State’s top committed players has decided to return home.

Drew Shelton, from Downingtown, Pa., decided back in December that he wanted to transfer to powerhouse high school program IMG Academy down in Florida. He spent five months there, training with the likes of former Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Tra Thomas, who coached the offensive line. However, after giving it some thought, he decided to return home recently and will finish out his high school career at Downingtown West.

“In recent months, there’s been a couple buddies of mine, a couple teammates of mine who have committed suicide, unfortunately,” Shelton said. “So, my family and I thought it would be best for me to come home and play this last semester here, be around the team, be around the guys. I really just want to be there for everyone as much as I can.”

“In recent months, there’s been a couple buddies of mine, a couple teammates of mine who have committed suicide, unfortunately,” Shelton said. “So, my family and I thought it would be best for me to come home and play this last semester here, be around the team, be around the guys. I really just want to be there for everyone as much as I can.”

Downingtown, which has two public high schools (DTown East and DTown West), has had a surprising number of suicides in recent years. The below article discusses the situation.

The high school where I teach plays DWest at home this season. I have worked the chain gang on opponents sideline for 15 years. You can learn a lot about prospects from their behavior on the bench/ sidelines. Ryan Bucholtz was a great teammate and sport in both football and hoops. Only saw Cary Angeline play hoops...good athlete...scored a tip in to win at buzzer...unfortunately he picked USC but that cleared way for Friermuth. Witnessed Coatesville coaches constantly berating JJ Stocker in a game they lead by 45 points. Apparently he either was freelancing or out of position on most plays. Not a favorable impression and ok w him going to Pitt. Tom Pancoast was a solid QB/Safety at Unionville for championship level teams...but I learned more about him in hoops where his teams usually were not good. He carried himself well in adversity. We'll see about Mr. Shelton- but from what I've read I expect to see a fine young man (who hopefully has an off night against my guys!)

Downingtown, which has two public high schools (DTown East and DTown West), has had a surprising number of suicides in recent years. The below article discusses the situation.

Some sobering data in that article. Very sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT